• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Layers of Fear Gameplay Trailer Shows Off Unreal 5 Engine's Visual Realism Capabilities

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Get an exclusive first-look at the gameplay of Layers of Fear, the series' crowning work, in this 11-minute walkthrough. Follow the Painter from the original Layers of Fear, and join the Writer - a recently unveiled character - for a closer look at the latest installment in the Layers franchise.

As The Writer, enter the lone and ghastly Lighthouse - a newly-introduced location - and uncover an untold story that links all of the Layers' characters and events together. Unravel secrets, solve puzzles, and face the threats of the old Mansion that can only be solved with a lantern - a new and essential tool to confront the nightmares in the game!

Feast your eyes on the vibrant visuals powered by Unreal Engine 5, featuring technologies like Lumen, Ray Tracing, HDR, volumetric lighting and Niagara-creating graphics as lifelike as possible.

The canvas awaits its final brushstrokes.
The stage calls for its lead actor.
The novel needs its final chapter.
It's time to face your fears.
One. Last. Time.

Layers of Fear, coming out June 2023 on PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
Wishlist now on Steam and PlayStation stores.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

I still don't like how the light looks visible as a material object. So, the illuminated parts seem to be covered in "paint, like a glowing fogg or dust", rather than just illuminated.
Specifically the window itself and its curtains.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
It doesn't shock me.
Maybe the render is better in motion ?

The 1st was a honest game. Liked it.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I still don't like how the light looks visible as a material object. So, the illuminated parts seem to be covered in "paint, like a glowing fogg or dust", rather than just illuminated.
Specifically the window itself and its curtains.
Actually, that's pretty accurate.
What your eyes are telling you, is that in their quest to highlight the engine's capabilities, the devs came out with a highly unrealistic scene: candles in the middle of the scene (on a porch, no less - who put candles on a porch?) and another light source outside the window, but also exactly in the middle of the scene. Since the source outside is a point light, it could cause "God rays" that would imprint the window stencil on the drapes. If the drapes are not thick enough, which they normally would be, because otherwise, why have them?

Oh, there are similar badly recreated lighting effects on other still shots. A ray of light in which you are afraid not to hit yourself. With density, it's like a laser beam. It is clear to everyone that similar effects in reality are produced by illuminated dust particles or vapors that have fallen into the path of the light beam. Still, the rooms can't be that dusty, as if there's some powerful activity kicking all that dust into the air. Also has some artefacts(horizontal lines) on part of way of light.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-17-20-33-43-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-17-20-33-43-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 29
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Oh, there are similar badly recreated lighting effects on other still shots. A ray of light in which you are afraid not to hit yourself. With density, it's like a laser beam. It is clear to everyone that similar effects in reality are produced by illuminated dust particles or vapors that have fallen into the path of the light beam. Still, the rooms can't be that dusty, as if there's some powerful activity kicking all that dust into the air. Also has some artefacts(horizontal lines) on part of way of light.
It's called "art direction". Movies and games don't actually try to be as realistic as possible, there's always a bit of stylization going on to make the scene more dramatic, have a particular mood. An actually realistic game could be very dull, or fail to bring a visual hierarchy (tweaking the light to put the focus on a particular object, path etc...)

It's called "art direction". Movies and games don't actually try to be as realistic as possible, there's always a bit of stylization going on to make the scene more dramatic, have a particular mood. An actually realistic game could be very dull, or fail to bring a visual hierarchy (tweaking the light to put the focus on a particular object, path etc...)
I'd agree if it's certain that this is an artist-drawn and pre-intended effect, and not just bad ray tracing thrown into the frame. :)

D

Deleted member 185088

That's why I feel the attention given to RT is exaggerated, I hate when some so called reviewers talk about how realistic the lighting is while having monsters on display.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
blooper team is one of the least talented developers out there, and this once again proves it, at least I didnt yet get nauseous from the amount of scene changes per second.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
I'd agree if it's certain that this is an artist-drawn and pre-intended effect, and not just bad ray tracing thrown into the frame. :)
That's why I feel the attention given to RT is exaggerated, I hate when some so called reviewers talk about how realistic the lighting is while having monsters on display.
Ray Tracing/Path tracing still allow you to bend the rules a bit, it just makes producing a "good looking" image easier. Pixar's renderman is good for cartoons, but it can also be realistic if you want it to be