• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LG.Philips LCD to Launch Ultra-Slim 42-inch Full HD 120Hz Panel in 2008

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
LG.Philips LCD plans to be the first company to launch an ultra slim 42-inch full HD LCD TV panel that is substantially thinner than conventional panels, at only 19.8mm, in the first quarter of 2008. This panel is 40 percent thinner and 10 percent lighter than conventional 42-inch LCD TV panels. Despite its slim profile, the panel still manages to incorporate cutting edge 120Hz technology, which eliminates motion blur, and full HD resolution, which is twice as sharp as normal HD resolution. LG.Philips LCD used a cold cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) backlight on this panel, which kept production costs lower than using a comparable LED backlight. This ultra-slim 42-inch LCD panel will be on display at FPD International 2007 in Yokohama, Japan, from October 24 to 26.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 24505

No suprise there,as lg phillips make the best lcd panels.a lot of monitors now use their panels.

No suprise there,as lg phillips make the best lcd panels.a lot of monitors now use their panels.

I have an older LG panel (old to todays standards) but its great. Very little motion blur and clear as can be. My only complaint was the black levels, but thats been addressed since then.

D

Deleted member 24505

My lg monitor is sweet,here are the specs-

High Brightness 300 cd/m2
Wide Viewing Angle 170o/170o
Resolution 1440 x 900 (WXGA+)
Ultra High Contrast Ratio; 5000:1 (DFC)
Ultra Fast Response Time: 5ms

One of my mates has an lcd monitor he bought ages ago,from the side you cant even see the picture at all,just black.

LG is a great brand and near the top companies for LCD TVs.
However, one company still beats them all (and they arent talked about much on forums due to the little amount of issues they have.
That is, yes believe it or not, JVC monitors.
They offer the best processor for downscaling to 720 and lower, as well as great black levels.

I wonder how much this LG panel will cost, prob. much more than reg. 42"

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
JVC has the shittiest picture quality out of any LCD I've ever seen...LG panels are nice but there are way better options out there. I'd take my 40" Sony XBR2 over any other LCD currently out there based purely on picture quality.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
JVC has the shittiest picture quality out of any LCD I've ever seen...

Now why would you think that? Where did you even get that from. Is it your fanboyism maybe for Sony LCD monitors? Theres nothing wrong with being a Sony fanboy but seriously where did you get the idea that JVC makes crap monitors? Link Please

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Wow talk about Fanboyism, look at you coming to the defense all gun-ho. I may be a Sony fanboy, but I also own an LG LCD, Westinghouse LCD, Samsung LCD, and a Toshiba LCD. Out of all those TVs the Sony has BY FAR the best picture. I've also been selling and installing TVs for 5 years now. I'm speaking from experience and from reviews my customers have given me about their TVs. Comparing a JVC side by side with any brand TV will show JVCs picture quality, or lack there of. No, I don't hate JVC, hell I own quite a few of their products. Just their TVs aren't the quality you speak of.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
LG is a brand of mixed proportions. Some of their LCDs and Home theater systems are dead nutts some of the best, at decent prices. But some of their other stuff drab, so its kind of hit and miss. These look like terrific monitors and the 120Hz is all the rage with tv makers. Personally, I enjoy my Vizio as I dont really have a complaint about it at all. Hopefully, this full HD is 1080p. I can tell a difference between my 720p and 1080i/p/

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Also not for nothing and not trying to be a jerk, but 120hz is a marketing scam. It makes no difference at all. I'm not the only one saying this, Sound & Vision magazine and CEPro both did reviews on it and it doesn't make a lick of a difference.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I own a JVC Flat Tube TV (almost 6 years). When I bought, it was more expensive than the Sony. And it kicked butt on all Sonys and Panasonics. All my friends bought the Sony and I bought JVC and their jaw fell almost to the floor when they saw how good the picture quality is on the JVC. So this time when I decide to buy the 50", JVC was good. But I fell for Samsung DLP. Their picture quality is better than the Sony. But shitty reliability, dead in 6 months. Dumped it got a Sony SXRD and couldn't be happier. From that experience I am not buying shitty Korean products, worse than china made. So LG falls under that category.

But remember Samsung makes panels for Sony XBR line.:D

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Software Lots of it
Also not for nothing and not trying to be a jerk, but 120hz is a marketing scam. It makes no difference at all. I'm not the only one saying this, Sound & Vision magazine and CEPro both did reviews on it and it doesn't make a lick of a difference.

so theres still ghosting on the LCd's then?

And I wasnt trying to make fun of you I even said there was nothing wrong with being a Sony fanboy heck im not a JVC fanboy at all I was just curious at the time where you got the idea that JVC was crap.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
To be honest, yes theres still ghosting. The human eye is only notices differences up to 4ms, anything higher than that doesn't matter. Also the human eye only notices 75hz, anything higher does not matter. This is based off of pure science. Also its a common misconception that Samsung produces Sony's panels. Its actually a joint venture in which both parties are involved in the production of panels. This is coming from both my Sony and Samsung reps as well as a little Google research.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
To be honest, yes theres still ghosting. The human eye is only notices differences up to 4ms, anything higher than that doesn't matter. Also the human eye only notices 75hz, anything higher does not matter. This is based off of pure science. Also its a common misconception that Samsung produces Sony's panels. Its actually a joint venture in which both parties are involved in the production of panels. This is coming from both my Sony and Samsung reps as well as a little Google research.

Well then why would the tv manufacturers lie and say that 120 herz technology fixes all ghosting problems if it really doesnt. Isnt that lieying to their customers? That would include Sony too by the way since they also sell 120 herz HDTV's

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Well then why would the tv manufacturers lie and say that 120 herz technology fixes all ghosting problems if it really doesnt. Isnt that lieying to their customers? That would include Sony too by the way since they also sell 120 herz HDTV's

To be honest, yes. I'm not the only one backing this up. Multiple renowned magazines and such are saying the same thing. Just from comparing TVs side by side you will never ever notice a difference, ever. Sports, Action, or any high motion content it doesn't matter, 120hz is a load of BS. And frankly, it doesn't matter to me if Sony does it or not. They still make a great product, as do most other manufacturers.

JVC has the shittiest picture quality out of any LCD I've ever seen...LG panels are nice but there are way better options out there. I'd take my 40" Sony XBR2 over any other LCD currently out there based purely on picture quality.

Haha.
Just out of curiousity did you own a JVC and hook it up or did you just look at it in the store.
Bc if you just looked at it in the store you have no valid proof.
Stores hook up their more expensive LCD tvs to better sources (Full HD - 1080p) while they hook up less expensive ones to shit sources (no HD - 480i).
Most stores will hook up JVCs to 480i sources not 1080p since they are relatively cheap.
Also, you want proof that JVC is a great LCD check over at www.avsforum.com

The sony is a great LCD, but way too overpriced.
A samgsun is def. a better deal :)

To be honest, yes. I'm not the only one backing this up. Multiple renowned magazines and such are saying the same thing. Just from comparing TVs side by side you will never ever notice a difference, ever. Sports, Action, or any high motion content it doesn't matter, 120hz is a load of BS. And frankly, it doesn't matter to me if Sony does it or not. They still make a great product, as do most other manufacturers.

He is correct on this subject.
You cannot tell the difference between 120hz and 60hz.
However, just like all computer LCD monitors, all LCD HDTVs have ghosting even though it is not noticable.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Just so you know, I've personally hooked up a JVC vs other brands and the difference is huge. Also where are you getting your info from that stores hook up JVCs to shitty streams? I personally was responsible for hooking up the TVs at the Best Buy I worked at and I can assure you they were all on the same stream. I have seen the JVC compared first hand at Best Buy as well as in my own house where its guaranteed to be 100% the same stream.

Just so you know, I've personally hooked up a JVC vs other brands and the difference is huge. Also where are you getting your info from that stores hook up JVCs to shitty streams? I personally was responsible for hooking up the TVs at the Best Buy I worked at and I can assure you they were all on the same stream. I have seen the JVC compared first hand at Best Buy as well as in my own house where its guaranteed to be 100% the same stream.

I have had friends working at both CC and BB around me and that is what they do.
They hook up Sony's and Sharp's to HD DVD or Blueray and the cheaper brands (like Samsung's, Toshiba, JVC, etc.) they usually hook up to regular TV (480i). However, sometimes they do regular HDTV (720p) which is nice :)

Sry if I generalized a bit.

Anyways, you are correct that Sony has the best black levels at the moment, however, their clouding affects are hindering them (just like how the Sharp's banding hurt their sets).
But the new Samsungs that just came out have much better black levels than any LCD, but they do cost an arm and a leg.

I have no dealt with LG HDTVs yet.
Can you give me any input on them?
They seem pretty well priced, but I dont know how their black levels and their downscaling are

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
The clouding on the Sonys only affected the 46" XBR2/XBR3 models. It was resolved by Sony releasing a patch that you put on a USB stick and then onto your TV. I wouldn't call Samsung a cheap brand btw...haha. Also, I cannot speak for those Best Buys, but for the 2 stores I worked for we had a Panasonic Plasma hooked up to Blu-Ray and a Toshiba LCD hooked up to HD-DVD. All other TVs were running on the same 720p loop hooked up through component video. As far as LGs LCDs go they are actually pretty nice. Now, I prefer LGs plasmas over their LCDs, but thats just me. Black levels are decent on the LGs and their downscaling is pretty good IMO. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I have no problem helping people :)

The clouding on the Sonys only affected the 46" XBR2/XBR3 models. It was resolved by Sony releasing a patch that you put on a USB stick and then onto your TV. I wouldn't call Samsung a cheap brand btw...haha. Also, I cannot speak for those Best Buys, but for the 2 stores I worked for we had a Panasonic Plasma hooked up to Blu-Ray and a Toshiba LCD hooked up to HD-DVD. All other TVs were running on the same 720p loop hooked up through component video. As far as LGs LCDs go they are actually pretty nice. Now, I prefer LGs plasmas over their LCDs, but thats just me. Black levels are decent on the LGs and their downscaling is pretty good IMO. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I have no problem helping people :)

I didnt mean to say cheap, meant to say cheaper than Sony and Sharp (not including Samsung's new line that just came out recently).
Even though you can find some good deals on sharp these days.

bebobsa

Carolina, Puerto Rico. Sabana Abajo's Ghetto
Processor AMD Athlon XP 2800@Athlon XP 3000 for now
Motherboard ASRock K7VT6 Socket 462
Cooling Cooler Master Stock Fan
Memory 1 GB Generic RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia BFG 6800 GT
Storage 36 GB WD Raptor & 120 GB WD IDE
Display(s) Dell LCD FPW2005 Widescreen 20.1"
Case Alienware Black Area-51
Audio Device(s) Motherboard integrated
Power Supply Alienware 420W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

I work at Sears and we sell some 120hz models from Sony, Samsung and Toshiba. And yes, you can see the difference, but is worse than the 60hz. Games look the same. Film look very unnatural. When people move it look like the people is not really there and they're using special effects when they're not. Many people look up the this shitty technology but is not worth it. Just look for high contrast like the Samsung that is 25,000:1, is the best TV iv'e seen, even better than the Sony XBR4.