• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Orange Box

xu^

System Name Mr_average ( hoping 1 day to upgrade to Mr_above_average )
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700x @3.4ghz/4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AS-500 Plus - White | 6 Lian Li ST120mm case fans - White
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 4x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 - White
Video Card(s) Asus Dual GeForce RTX 4070 12GB OC
Storage 512gb Sabrent Nvme | 4tb Samsung SSD | 2tb WD Blue SSD| 1tb Crucial P3 Nvme| 1tb WD Blue HDD = 8.5tb
Display(s) D1: LG Ultragear GL850-B 27" 1440p 144hz | D2: Asus Tuf - VG249 24" 1080p 144hz
Case Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh RGB - White
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II | Steelseries Arctis 3 Headset - White
Power Supply Corsair TX650M Semi Modular 80+ Gold
Mouse Red Dragon M991 - White
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I have tried many fixes including ..

changing the fov to 90 or 100 fromt he default 75

turning off bobbing

dropping the detail and the screen resolution as low as it will go

playing on a 14" screen lol

nothign appears to make any diff :(

for the record HL2 and its addons are the only games on PC that have had this effect on me.
i have played a large list of games online and offline with no problems watsoever including

Duke 3D
Quake 2
Quake 4
ET Quakeworld
F.E.A.R
Bioshock
RTCW
Elite Force

and many many more.

Am gutted i cant play it.
Today i watch a freind play portal ,i was sat a good 5m away and within 30 mins of watching him play i began to feel decidely rough,and had to go and watch tv instead.

I did hear Valve released some kind of fix for ppl suffering motion sickness but not sure if this is true?
but then im not sure id risk buying it again even if they did just in case it did not work.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Xubidoo,

Here are a couple of other things that people have reported as working. I do not know if they will work for you, but it's worth a try.

Change the refresh rate on your monitor.
Turn your monitor at a slight angle with one side farther away that the other. (for some reason many people said this helped)
Try turning your head away from the monitor (this has something to do with your eyes being at a slightly different distance from the target, and they focus differently, similar to previous suggestion)
Try closing one eye (I know you can't play like that, but it will tell you if it a Depth of field issue)

Some people said being farther away, but per your last post I can see that would not help as you were already 15 feet away.

Anyway, I hope you can find something to work for you.

Shizelbs

Processor Q6600
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
Cooling Intel
Memory 4 gigs of DDR800 - OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) BFG 8800GTS OC
Display(s) 245BW 24" Samsung
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy
Power Supply Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready Power Supply
Software Vista 64 bit
I'm glad I got it. Portal is fun. Its a nice change of pace from the other games I typically play. My one wish is for TF2 to work better be have far less lag.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Portal was about as long as three HL levels. I liked the concept, but...you really can't stretch it out too far, without weapons/a more in-depth plot, or the ability to add user-generated content (which you can).

HL2 Episode 2, I'm still playing, but sadly, it looks about as short as HL2 Episode 1. Such a shame, considering that they did so much work on the graphics engine...

Team Fortress 2 is awesome :D.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Episode 1 has 5 chapters, Episode 2 has seven, so it is a little longer.
The reviews, however, show a bit of dissapointment with the second episode overall.

I've haven't played either because I started over in HL2 so I can play them through, in order.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Lots of stuff.
Consider yourself LUCKY to be sighted and not blind like some people. I know you are very disappointed by your problems... but it could be a lot worse.

Suggestions to try:

1./ Play in a well lit room. Take regular breaks, meaning stand up, walk around the room, adjust your focus etc, then return

2./ Use a regular monitor not widescreen. The "stretching" of reality (or rather the grpahics engine working in a different aspect ratio) can result in warped optical recognition may be the problem to your sickness

>> Many people with astigmatism get sick or dizzy when using a new pair of glasses. It's due to the world "moving" in a way that is different from what their brain is used to.

>> I also had a bad accident falling down some stairs once BECAUSE I was wearing my driving glasses. The problem is that the edges of my vision were being distorted just a little bit, but just enough so that the stairs and my foot were 5cm different from where I thought they were. And hey presto, slip, and twist, and torn ligaments.

Just becareful that a sign of motion sickness is not just feeling sick, but that your coordination is also affected. If you play ANY game and even if you dont feel sick , be careful driving, playing sports, using machines etc. for at least 15 minutes after in case you suffer an accident like I did... ie where things are and where you THINK they are being just 5cm wrong.

Take it easy and good luck :)