• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

undervolting Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU

slayroid

hello unclewebb i have a ideapad gaming 3 15IMH05(i5 10300h , 1650 gtx and 8gb ram) when i am playing games the temp goes around 90-95c and it heats up as hell

now i want to undervolt because i cant play with these temps i need someone to help me and guide me about throttlestop what am i doing so I need help please
i read a post on the throttlestop forum and came to this post i saw a lot of youtube video finding the sweet spot for my core and cache -150mv and -75mv(earlier cache was -100mv but i got frequent crashes so i found -75mv to be good) these setting where on 250mv on both performance and gaming profiles. i dont know how the rest of the settings work most videos revolved around cache and core. i also set my iccmax values in both cpu and core to the max in both profiles

this undervolt of the same cpu
my cpu was locked at start and i fortunately managed to unlock it

i tried to understand the settings and applied some
1.JPG

3.JPG

12.JPG

bench.JPG

Capture.JPG

settings of this post on my throttlestop but while gaming (the evil within) overheating still presists i really really need help to fix this maybe i am doing something wrong ill post my settings below

Thank you (save me i really need it)

Processor Intel i9-11900H
Cooling IETS GT500
Memory 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX-3060 6GB
Storage 512GB NVMe SSD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Ornata V2
hello unclewebb i have a ideapad gaming 3 15IMH05(i5 10300h , 1650 gtx and 8gb ram) when i am playing games the temp goes around 90-95c and it heats up as hell

now i want to undervolt because i cant play with these temps i need someone to help me and guide me about throttlestop what am i doing so I need help please
i read a post on the throttlestop forum and came to this post i saw a lot of youtube video finding the sweet spot for my core and cache -150mv and -75mv(earlier cache was -100mv but i got frequent crashes so i found -75mv to be good) these setting where on 250mv on both performance and gaming profiles. i dont know how the rest of the settings work most videos revolved around cache and core. i also set my iccmax values in both cpu and core to the max in both profiles

this undervolt of the same cpu
my cpu was locked at start and i fortunately managed to unlock it

i tried to understand the settings and applied someView attachment 297590

View attachment 297591
View attachment 297592

View attachment 297593

View attachment 297594

settings of this post on my throttlestop but while gaming (the evil within) overheating still presists i really really need help to fix this maybe i am doing something wrong ill post my settings below

Thank you (save me i really need it)
I have a little bit of experience, I optimised my CPU temps from i9-11900H recently. Undervolts are only one part of the problem. They do bring down temps somewhat, but also you need to have sufficient cooling. Like a cooling pad, good ambient temperature in the room you are in, good airflow, etc. Also, the fans should not be obscured (neither vent nor outlet).
Besides that, usually I set up "speed shift epp". It varies your clock frequency depending on what task you are doing (at least I think, don't quote me on that, but it does make frequencies vary). Also, general advice is to Lock MMIO in the TPL window, then reduce your short power limit by some. Usually I just set PL1 to the rated power of the CPU, and PL2 at least 20% higher in value. Then, if you get good temperatures, you can increase whichever one is power throttling you.

If you don't have a cooling pad, locate the vents on your laptop. Then, get like 2 thick books (if you have a bible, great, use that, and find another object of very similar thickness) and elevate your laptop and do NOT block the vents with the books. This will improve airflow significantly, by a varying degree. If you have a desk fan or something, you can blow that at your laptop to improve cool airflow and get any lingering hot air away. This doesn't directly improve temperatures, but it does reduce ambient heat that contributes to your CPU's temperatures staying high instead of spiking and then reducing.

Let me know how it goes.

slayroid

hey thanks a lot for ur advice i do have a cooling pad its cosmic byte i dont remember the full name . dont worry the fans and the vents are not clogged there might be some dust but i try my best to clear it with a plastic straw the country where i live compressed air is not available here so i blow air with a straw and it does get some dust out . about speed shift what do u suggest i should put the values

i did the rest settings as u said and well umm it didnt work out i posted a log of the gameplay as well they still up on 95 and 86-87 i am just praying the uncle shows up and saves me

Attachments

• 2023-05-26.txt
    151.2 KB · Views: 101
  • bruh.JPG
    bruh.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 170
Cooling IETS GT500
Storage 512GB NVMe SSD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Ornata V2
hey thanks a lot for ur advice i do have a cooling pad its cosmic byte i dont remember the full name . dont worry the fans and the vents are not clogged there might be some dust but i try my best to clear it with a plastic straw the country where i live compressed air is not available here so i blow air with a straw and it does get some dust out . about speed shift what do u suggest i should put the values

i did the rest settings as u said and well umm it didnt work out i posted a log of the gameplay as well they still up on 95 and 86-87 i am just praying the uncle shows up and saves me
Firstly, Sync MMIO. You need to have that. Otherwise MMIO power control might interfere (I don't exactly know if it does, but I remember being advised to do so).
Secondly, speed shift EPP is a windows (system?) that varies the clocking frequency on your CPU per performance requirements. If on battery (say, battery power plan) windows makes the EPP 255 or 128, I forgot. High performance is 0. Balanced is 128. I leave my gaming one on 84, performance on 128, and battery on like 235.

As for your cooling pad, I've got an IETS GT500. Altho this is expensive, it works like a charm. I don't need to clean my fans anymore because this pad acts like a filtration system all on its own. you might wanna look into something similar in design to that, and also ambient temps are really bad. whats your room temperature where you game?

slayroid

i cant afford a new cooling pad rn sadly i synced the mmio and set my speed shift gaming to 84 and it still isnt cutting it the temps are still hitting high and heating the laptop aaagghhhhhhh

ill just wait for the moderators and other people to have a look and see where am i going so wrong that is always hits 90 - 95 so high
also thanks a lot for ur efforts super nova have a good day

There are two different situations: exclusive full loads on the CPU (Cinebench) and CPU + GPU cross loads (games).

Your laptop, under perfect conditions, can sustain about ~55W at full loads on the CPU alone and ~35W on the CPU at cross loads.
This is in performance mode.
From your log you should be in default mode where the cpu limit under cross loads is ~30W.

The undervolt will make your CPU more efficient, reaching higher clocks while consuming the same power.
System limits will remain the same, but with undervolt you will gain performance (higher clocks).

You can change the thermal paste to considerably increase your "thermal headroom" (I recommend Honeywell PTM 7950 phase change pad) and together with undervolt have more performance and also lower temperatures or simply lower your power limit (together with undervolt) .
For example, if you want to play in standard mode and with ~30W on the processor you are thermal throttle, lower this limit to 25W.
Undervolt on the GPU also helps a lot because by lowering the GPU temperature you consequently lower the CPU temperature (shared cooling system).

I still believe that your undervolt can be better adjusted.
I recommend initially setting core and cache to -75mV and running TS Bench.
For a good quick stability test I usually run a test with 2 threads and another with all threads, both with 960M and random loads.
If everything is right, go lowering the voltage by -5mV until the TS Bench tests show errors. In this case, increase core and cache +5mV.
Take a test in Cinebench R23 multicore and follow clocks/power/temperatures.
From there, try to keep the cache value and just decrease the core value. I believe that in this case it can go down in steps of -10mV or -20mV.
At each new value, test the stability with TS Bench and, if everything is OK, run Cinebench and compare the data with the test with the same core and cache.
Probably after a certain point there will be no more gains and you can stop there.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
You need better cooling.

1685126999061.png

A 10300H has a 45W TDP rating. With good cooling it can easily run at up to 60W if the power limits are set appropriately. Your CPU is overheating and thermal throttling at only 35W. Either the heatsink and fan are inadequate or your laptop suffers from zero maintenance. Have you ever opened up your laptop and cleaned it out? Have you ever replaced the thermal paste?

There are no magic settings in ThrottleStop that can fix a bad cooling problem like you have. You can reduce the power limits or slow your CPU down to a crawl but both of these options are going to reduce performance. Try doing some maintenance. Your CPU will thank you.

Edit - I just had a look at the log file. It shows thermal throttling at less than 30W. The cooling system in its present state is not doing its job.

slayroid

There are two different situations: exclusive full loads on the CPU (Cinebench) and CPU + GPU cross loads (games).

Your laptop, under perfect conditions, can sustain about ~55W at full loads on the CPU alone and ~35W on the CPU at cross loads.
This is in performance mode.
From your log you should be in default mode where the cpu limit under cross loads is ~30W.

The undervolt will make your CPU more efficient, reaching higher clocks while consuming the same power.
System limits will remain the same, but with undervolt you will gain performance (higher clocks).

You can change the thermal paste to considerably increase your "thermal headroom" (I recommend Honeywell PTM 7950 phase change pad) and together with undervolt have more performance and also lower temperatures or simply lower your power limit (together with undervolt) .
For example, if you want to play in standard mode and with ~30W on the processor you are thermal throttle, lower this limit to 25W.
Undervolt on the GPU also helps a lot because by lowering the GPU temperature you consequently lower the CPU temperature (shared cooling system).

I still believe that your undervolt can be better adjusted.
I recommend initially setting core and cache to -75mV and running TS Bench.
For a good quick stability test I usually run a test with 2 threads and another with all threads, both with 960M and random loads.
If everything is right, go lowering the voltage by -5mV until the TS Bench tests show errors. In this case, increase core and cache +5mV.
Take a test in Cinebench R23 multicore and follow clocks/power/temperatures.
From there, try to keep the cache value and just decrease the core value. I believe that in this case it can go down in steps of -10mV or -20mV.
At each new value, test the stability with TS Bench and, if everything is OK, run Cinebench and compare the data with the test with the same core and cache.
Probably after a certain point there will be no more gains and you can stop there.
my laptop came with the default balanced power plan but i unlocked the high performance and the log you saw was pretty messed up it kinda was a mix up of normal working and the gaming ill post a new log soon of gaming only i am using only high performance mode and performace mode in vantage as well

2ndly i read a few things and now i understood how the concept of undervolting works well i cant change the thermal pastes right now the vents are cleaned up and the the current cooling fan works around fine

ill try tuning as the way you said i should

You need better cooling.

View attachment 297700

A 10300H has a 45W TDP rating. With good cooling it can easily run at up to 60W if the power limits are set appropriately. Your CPU is overheating and thermal throttling at only 35W. Either the heatsink and fan are inadequate or your laptop suffers from zero maintenance. Have you ever opened up your laptop and cleaned it out? Have you ever replaced the thermal paste?

There are no magic settings in ThrottleStop that can fix a bad cooling problem like you have. You can reduce the power limits or slow your CPU down to a crawl but both of these options are going to reduce performance. Try doing some maintenance. Your CPU will thank you.

Edit - I just had a look at the log file. It shows thermal throttling at less than 30W. The cooling system in its present state is not doing its job.
that log file is pretty messed up i think i posted i recorded it wrongly just gimme 20 min after posting this i am gonna play evil within with these settings on throttle stop do tell me if i can change the setting to lower the temperatures . and no i bought the laptop just a year ago so i didnt replaced the thermal paste i do clean the laptop by the resources i have like blowing air through plastic straws and i cleaning with my kit .
here are the settings which i am gonna play on
game speed shift epp is set to 84 while the 128 on performace mode do tell me if i need to post any other settings to show you ill post a gameplay of game on these settings asap and a ts bench too

Attachments

• 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 167
  • s.JPG
    s.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 179

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Your CPU is overheating at only 30W. To prevent overheating, you would need to lower your turbo power limits to maybe 25W. That is not going to be great for performance and your CPU will still get up to 90°C. You have a serious cooling problem. Playing around with ThrottleStop is like offering a band-aid to someone that just had their arm ripped off.

You either have to fix the cooling problem or you have to accept throttling and poor game performance.

my laptop came with the default balanced power plan but i unlocked the high performance and the log you saw was pretty messed up it kinda was a mix up of normal working and the gaming ill post a new log soon of gaming only i am using only high performance mode and performace mode in vantage as well

2ndly i read a few things and now i understood how the concept of undervolting works well i cant change the thermal pastes right now the vents are cleaned up and the the current cooling fan works around fine

ill try tuning as the way you said i should
The log shows that your cpu hits the thermal limit close to 30W while playing the game.

I already adjusted an IdeaPad with the same specs as yours and with the thermal paste ok, in performance mode in Vantage, the CPU limit is ~35W in games.
If you were playing in performance mode, it's probably time to repaste.
With the limits of the last images (PL1=35W and PL2=40W) you should be fine for CPU loads, but on CPU+GPU loads your processor will throttle at the same log level, close to 30W.

So I suggested lowering the limit to 25W.

Try changing to Maximum power savings in Windows Power Options > PCI Express > Link State Power Management.

slayroid

Your CPU is overheating at only 30W. To prevent overheating, you would need to lower your turbo power limits to maybe 25W. That is not going to be great for performance and your CPU will still get up to 90°C. You have a serious cooling problem. Playing around with ThrottleStop is like offering a band-aid to someone that just had their arm ripped off.

You either have to fix the cooling problem or you have to accept throttling and poor game performance.
so there is no need to change the settings anymore in throttle stop ? pls confirm do i need to change settings or keep them as it is and get my laptop cleaned i guess? and have a look at this i played 20 min and think its better than before i dunno how
here the ts bench ang log

The log shows that your cpu hits the thermal limit close to 30W while playing the game.

I already adjusted an IdeaPad with the same specs as yours and with the thermal paste ok, in performance mode in Vantage, the CPU limit is ~35W in games.
If you were playing in performance mode, it's probably time to repaste.
With the limits of the last images (PL1=35W and PL2=40W) you should be fine for CPU loads, but on CPU+GPU loads your processor will throttle at the same log level, close to 30W.

So I suggested lowering the limit to 25W.

Try changing to Maximum power savings in Windows Power Options > PCI Express > Link State Power Management.
i guess it is time to repaste and clean uhh sorry but what should i change to 25w? which one and would it affect my performance? too much? i only wanna play at like 3.5ghz so i just dont wanna loose performance i guess i really need to clean it upcuz i believe setting pl1 to 25 will just kill the performace

thanks a lot for ur help

Attachments

• 2023-05-27.txt
    103 KB · Views: 52
  • bru.JPG
    bru.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
i guess it is time to repaste and clean uhh sorry but what should i change to 25w? which one and would it affect my performance? too much? i only wanna play at like 3.5ghz so i just dont wanna loose performance i guess i really need to clean it upcuz i believe setting pl1 to 25 will just kill the performace
In this log your temperatures are better because the power is lower.
Before it was close to 30W and now it is around 25W.
More Watts = more heat.
As for the drop in performance of 30 to 25W, it will depend on the CPU demand of the specific game.
In some games there may not be a drop, in others yes.

slayroid

In this log your temperatures are better because the power is lower.
Before it was close to 30W and now it is around 25W.
More Watts = more heat.
As for the drop in performance of 30 to 25W, it will depend on the CPU demand of the specific game.
In some games there may not be a drop, in others yes.
are u talking about changing to 25w in pl1 or pl2?

are u talking about changing to 25w in pl1 or pl2?
Most relevant for any high-demand task with a long duration is PL1.

In games after a brief power increase (PL2), if the thermals allow, the CPU will keep within the limit of PL1.

In the current conditions of your laptop, in games, try both with 25W or else PL1=25W and PL2=30W.

You should do more tests for a better undervolt adjustment and also for your GPU.

As soon as possible, repaste with good thermal paste!
With that you will be able to increase the power limits...

slayroid

Most relevant for any high-demand task with a long duration is PL1.

In games after a brief power increase (PL2), if the thermals allow, the CPU will keep within the limit of PL1.

In the current conditions of your laptop, in games, try both with 25W or else PL1=25W and PL2=30W.

You should do more tests for a better undervolt adjustment and also for your GPU.

As soon as possible, repaste with good thermal paste!
With that you will be able to increase the power limits...
one last thing i wanna know is does changing these pl1 and pl2 affect my performance in the game?
i guess it does affect performance as the uncle said it above
also how can i find that 8 page guide of throttle stop where everything about undervolting is explained i need to invest some time in that
and yeah the thing u said about
that the throttling will prevail in cross loads such as games (cpu + gpu) so how can i control the cross loads via throttlestop cuz cpu are controllable but what about cpu + gpu on cross loads.

Cooling IETS GT500
Storage 512GB NVMe SSD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Ornata V2
so there is no need to change the settings anymore in throttle stop ? pls confirm do i need to change settings or keep them as it is and get my laptop cleaned i guess? and have a look at this i played 20 min and think its better than before i dunno how
here the ts bench ang log

thanks a lot for ur help
alright so, to play at 3.5GHz, select your gaming power plan in FIVR and set the “turbo ratio” to 35. If you adjust the single core ratio, all the others will adjust as well. Technically this will limit you to 3.49GHz, as I’ve found out running my i9 (A limit of 45 gets me 4.49GHz).
running high clocks won’t benefit you much if you’re throttling like crazy. If you just want 3.5GHz, then limit yourself to uh 35-37 on Single core. That will drastically reduce peak temperatures. I found that once my i9 went to around 38-40, any extra integer caused a lot more temperature spiking. Since you have like no cooling power, you need to consider having a FIVR turbo limit.

one last thing i wanna know is does changing these pl1 and pl2 affect my performance in the game?
i guess it does affect performance as the uncle said it above
also how can i find that 8 page guide of throttle stop where everything about undervolting is explained i need to invest some time in that
and yeah the thing u said about
that the throttling will prevail in cross loads such as games (cpu + gpu) so how can i control the cross loads via throttlestop cuz cpu are controllable but what about cpu + gpu on cross loads.
Okay so basically, PL1 is “long term turbo power”. Your CPU has 3 (ish) limits (it has more but ignore that), which is non-turbo, turbo long-term, and turbo boost. Turbo boost is PL2. If your CPU needs to draw more power, it will do it to PL2. PL2 lasts for however long that slider is set to. It can back off PL2 at any time, though. PL1 is turbo boost whenever the turbo time has been exceeded or PL2 is no longer needed (Unclewebb, feel free to correct me if I’m getting this wrong).
generally you’d want PL1 at the rated CPU wattage, but since your laptop is genuinely terrible with cooling, you have to sacrifice that . Here, PL1 and PL2 lowered will just reduce your maximum clocks because max clocks need more power. If your GPU is running too, I think there might be some bottlenecking although I do not know if that is correct at all.

as I said in previous message, use FIVR to limit your turbo ratios to 35-37. If you want to play at 3.5GHz, then do that. 37 will make you make at 3.69GHz (which is effectively 3.7GHz). If you are still throttling thermally, lower that again.

slayroid

alright so, to play at 3.5GHz, select your gaming power plan in FIVR and set the “turbo ratio” to 35. If you adjust the single core ratio, all the others will adjust as well. Technically this will limit you to 3.49GHz, as I’ve found out running my i9 (A limit of 45 gets me 4.49GHz).
running high clocks won’t benefit you much if you’re throttling like crazy. If you just want 3.5GHz, then limit yourself to uh 35-37 on Single core. That will drastically reduce peak temperatures. I found that once my i9 went to around 38-40, any extra integer caused a lot more temperature spiking. Since you have like no cooling power, you need to consider having a FIVR turbo limit.

Okay so basically, PL1 is “long term turbo power”. Your CPU has 3 (ish) limits (it has more but ignore that), which is non-turbo, turbo long-term, and turbo boost. Turbo boost is PL2. If your CPU needs to draw more power, it will do it to PL2. PL2 lasts for however long that slider is set to. It can back off PL2 at any time, though. PL1 is turbo boost whenever the turbo time has been exceeded or PL2 is no longer needed (Unclewebb, feel free to correct me if I’m getting this wrong).
generally you’d want PL1 at the rated CPU wattage, but since your laptop is genuinely terrible with cooling, you have to sacrifice that . Here, PL1 and PL2 lowered will just reduce your maximum clocks because max clocks need more power. If your GPU is running too, I think there might be some bottlenecking although I do not know if that is correct at all.

as I said in previous message, use FIVR to limit your turbo ratios to 35-37. If you want to play at 3.5GHz, then do that. 37 will make you make at 3.69GHz (which is effectively 3.7GHz). If you are still throttling thermally, lower that again.
thanks for the response but i found another way to lower my clock speed and to lower temp i set my tpl pl1 and pl2 to 35 and 35 and i set my speed shift under misc to min 1 and max 35
it lowered my clock speed and gave low temps with loss in the performance and could u tell me my other limits of the cpu i just wanna know all of em

and is changing ratio in gaming profile and the tpl as i did is the same thing i am confused please clear me on that and my gpu is kinda fine i get like 58c on it its chill like that and do help me clear the confusion of tpl change in speeed shift and gaming profile change ratio

and again i thank you for advising me with ur valuable time
i still dont get it why the offset voltage core and cache did very little to no for me in throttling that i came to underclocking now lol

i still dont get it why the offset voltage core and cache did very little to no for me in throttling that i came to underclocking now lol
Throttlestop didn't help you with temperatures because your laptop is extremely thermally limited.

Every CPU will speed up to:
1: temperature limit
2: power limit
3: maximum clock limit (4.2GHz all cores for i5-10300H) if cooling and power limit allow it.

As the cooling is limited you will be limited either by the temperature or by the power limit (if the value is low enough to stay within the temperature limit).

Throttlestop will cause your clocks to increase within the thermal limit/power limit while maintaining the same temperature.

To see the gain, limit your all core clock to, for example, 3.2 GHz and run multicore Cinebench. Check power consumption and temperature without and with undervolt.

With undervolt the CPU will consume less power to keep the same clock.

If you limit the clock to the limit that your cooling supports without undervolt, you will easily notice that with undervolt that same clock uses much less energy generating less heat.

Cooling IETS GT500
Storage 512GB NVMe SSD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Ornata V2
thanks for the response but i found another way to lower my clock speed and to lower temp i set my tpl pl1 and pl2 to 35 and 35 and i set my speed shift under misc to min 1 and max 35
it lowered my clock speed and gave low temps with loss in the performance and could u tell me my other limits of the cpu i just wanna know all of em

and is changing ratio in gaming profile and the tpl as i did is the same thing i am confused please clear me on that and my gpu is kinda fine i get like 58c on it its chill like that and do help me clear the confusion of tpl change in speeed shift and gaming profile change ratio

and again i thank you for advising me with ur valuable time
FIVR turbo ratio is the same as the TPL speed shift min/max, except in FIVR you can set individual max speeds for how many cores are active. Also, it applies to your power plan, not to every power plan. So if you set it for gaming, it will only occur when you use the gaming power plan.
I find it more useful because I can set individual turbo ratios per plan so I don’t have to keep changing the TPL a speed shift for whatever I’m doing.

slayroid

FIVR turbo ratio is the same as the TPL speed shift min/max, except in FIVR you can set individual max speeds for how many cores are active. Also, it applies to your power plan, not to every power plan. So if you set it for gaming, it will only occur when you use the gaming power plan.
I find it more useful because I can set individual turbo ratios per plan so I don’t have to keep changing the TPL a speed shift for whatever I’m doing.
duely noted and thanks for all he knowledge and advises man ill get my laptop cleaned and repasted then ill try undervolting till then underclocking is the best option i have
again thanks for helping a rookie like me

Throttlestop didn't help you with temperatures because your laptop is extremely thermally limited.

Every CPU will speed up to:
1: temperature limit
2: power limit
3: maximum clock limit (4.2GHz all cores for i5-10300H) if cooling and power limit allow it.

As the cooling is limited you will be limited either by the temperature or by the power limit (if the value is low enough to stay within the temperature limit).

Throttlestop will cause your clocks to increase within the thermal limit/power limit while maintaining the same temperature.

To see the gain, limit your all core clock to, for example, 3.2 GHz and run multicore Cinebench. Check power consumption and temperature without and with undervolt.

If you limit the clock to the limit that your cooling supports without undervolt, you will easily notice that with undervolt that same clock uses much less energy generating less heat.
just one question how i can remove/fix that my laptop is thermally limited how can i like remove it so my laptop gets actually affected by offset voltages and other things so that undervolting actuallly helps and not underclocking

rn the only way my temps drop is by underclocking
and as the cooling is limited with my cpu
so how can i use power limit to control temps pls help me on that
and i think temp limit only works by upgrading the cooling pad and thermal paste and if th4ere is any other way do tell

okay so i gotta experiment after i get my laptop cleaned and repasted by changing clock speeds and offset voltages did i got that right?(english is not my 1st language)

also i have a doubt on what does power limit 4 does in throttle stop
can u link the guide which explains all about throttle stop please?

also thanks for all the help and time you putting

Last edited:
Cooling IETS GT500
Storage 512GB NVMe SSD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Ornata V2
duely noted and thanks for all he knowledge and advises man ill get my laptop cleaned and repasted then ill try undervolting till then underclocking is the best option i have
again thanks for helping a rookie like me

just one question how i can remove/fix that my laptop is thermally limited how can i like remove it so my laptop gets actually affected by offset voltages and other things so that undervolting actuallly helps and not underclocking

rn the only way my temps drop is by underclocking
and as the cooling is limited with my cpu
so how can i use power limit to control temps pls help me on that
and i think temp limit only works by upgrading the cooling pad and thermal paste and if th4ere is any other way do tell

okay so i gotta experiment after i get my laptop cleaned and repasted by changing clock speeds and offset voltages did i got that right?(english is not my 1st language)

also i have a doubt on what does power limit 4 does in throttle stop
can u link the guide which explains all about throttle stop please?

also thanks for all the help and time you putting
Set Power limit 4 to 0. As soon as you apply this, it will reflect it in both columns. PL4 is another unnecessary power limit, setting it to 0 disables it.

power limiting your CPU is known as power throttling. It controls how much power it can draw, but also means that your clocks might experience trouble if the power draw isn’t enough. its better usually to limit clock frequency, but it’s all just preference. For instance, your CPU will draw more power if all cores are working, whereas 1 or 2 cores can run at that same clock for much less power draw.

as for undervolting, you’ve already done so. You can’t undervolt that much because the CPU has a certain voltage requirement that, if not met, will cause a blue screen (usually a watchdog timeout)

slayroid

Set Power limit 4 to 0. As soon as you apply this, it will reflect it in both columns. PL4 is another unnecessary power limit, setting it to 0 disables it.

power limiting your CPU is known as power throttling. It controls how much power it can draw, but also means that your clocks might experience trouble if the power draw isn’t enough. its better usually to limit clock frequency, but it’s all just preference. For instance, your CPU will draw more power if all cores are working, whereas 1 or 2 cores can run at that same clock for much less power draw.

as for undervolting, you’ve already done so. You can’t undervolt that much because the CPU has a certain voltage requirement that, if not met, will cause a blue screen (usually a watchdog timeout)
yup u are right previously i did reset my whole system and after i get it cleaned i am gonna do a fresh undervolt with experiment and all thanks for the time and knowledge

Cooling IETS GT500
Storage 512GB NVMe SSD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Ornata V2
yup u are right previously i did reset my whole system and after i get it cleaned i am gonna do a fresh undervolt with experiment and all thanks for the time and knowledge
A little piece of advice: if you get stuck in a blue screen loop (BSoD loop), unplug power and power off fully by holding power button. I nearly lost my entire system to a -105mV undervolt on both core and cache. Unplugging the power made the system revert to another power plan (battery) on reboot, which stopped the undervolt causing the BSoD. So if you have that kind of issue at any time, just unplug the power.

System Name Dell Latitude 5500
Processor i7-8665U
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Multi-core) : 4534
A little piece of advice: if you get stuck in a blue screen loop (BSoD loop), unplug power and power off fully by holding power button. I nearly lost my entire system to a -105mV undervolt on both core and cache. Unplugging the power made the system revert to another power plan (battery) on reboot, which stopped the undervolt causing the BSoD. So if you have that kind of issue at any time, just unplug the power.
Screenshot 2023-05-31 143026.png
I would recommend using this setting when you are testing your undervolt using Throttlestop. So if you end up in a BSOD loop, you can just disconnect it from AC, let windows boot and make into desktop, delete the Throttlestop.ini, and then you can plug in AC again and Throttlestop will start by itself if you have this setting enabled.
You can disable this setting once you have a stable undervolt on your system.

Cooling IETS GT500
Storage 512GB NVMe SSD
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Ornata V2
View attachment 298476
I would recommend using this setting when you are testing your undervolt using Throttlestop. So if you end up in a BSOD loop, you can just disconnect it from AC, let windows boot and make into desktop, delete the Throttlestop.ini, and then you can plug in AC again and Throttlestop will start by itself if you have this setting enabled.
You can disable this setting once you have a stable undervolt on your system.
Or you could use a gaming power plan so that on reboot, throttlestop initiating won't cause the BSoD again.

I have my AC performance plan, and then gaming. I undervolted the gaming plan.