• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hdd problem?

Processor AMD A64 X2 4600
Motherboard Asus M2A-Vm
Memory 1 G Kingston DDR2 PC2 5300
Video Card(s) onboard
Storage seagate 250GB Samsung 500GB
Power Supply Thermaltake
Software Micorsoft Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (Tweaked)
Hi,
My brother has a Msi mobo with kingston 512 mb and a seagate of 120 gb. He has had it for about a year and now all of a sudden the computer would get a black screen and stay like that for about 30 sec. and then restart. Sometimes the computer wouldn't read the hdd. So I took the hdd to test it out on my computer to see if it was the hdd that was going bad and when i booted to my brothers hdd it would get to the windows xp black logo sign were the blue line goes back and forth. Then after a few seconds a blue screen pops up for a split second and restarts then it asks me if i want to start in safe mode or last current know.....etc. No matter what i chose it does the same thing. Know has the hdd gone bad? or is it because of my system spec? I haven't taken it back to my brothers to see if it would pass the xp logo part before I took it back to mine it would work on his comp normal until you started to play a game or surf the web. Thats about all of I can think of what it did. Should me get another hdd with more gb and more ram? :confused: :twitch: :banghead:

thanks

Hawk1

Processor E6600@3.6Ghz (8x450)
Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2GB Ballistix Tracers @900 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) ATI X1950XTX w/TR HR-03
Storage 2 x WD250GB (RAID0) 1x WD150GB Raptor 1x500GB external
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case TT Armour
Audio Device(s) Xfi xtreme Gamer (X-230s/HD595s)
Power Supply TT 750W modular
Software xp pro SP2/Vista Ultimate 32
It's probably because you are trying to boot from different motherboard/drivers. I would put it back in his computer and try Seatools for windows to test out the drive before deciding to change/upgrade it. It could be anything from his ram to PSU going bad, but start with the Seagate diagnostic tool first and go from there.

ShawJ

The HDD might be bad. I would suggest trying a few things. The first thing is to put the HDD into an external enclosure and run chkdsk or sfc on it, to check the system files. If that doesnt work then you could at least back up any of your brothers data. The other thing you can try is running the repair feature from the Windows Disc. Don't run the regular repair feature though. Run the one from the install menu.

Motherboard Asus M2A-Vm
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake
It's probably because you are trying to boot from different motherboard/drivers. I would put it back in his computer and try Seatools for windows to test out the drive before deciding to change/upgrade it. It could be anything from his ram to PSU going bad, but start with the Seagate diagnostic tool first and go from there.

His psu is new its only about 2 moths old so i dont think its that.
I will try this out and see what happens i will post back thanks

Motherboard Asus M2A-Vm
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake
ok well i tryed the seatools and when the test are done it would say aborted when i wouldnt abored weird. I have only tried out the short test the long ones take along time I did one of them and waited for 30 min and just aborted the test. And then before i did tried what Shawj the hdd would make this weird noise and after i did what Shawj said to try the noise became less noisy. Any ideas

Hawk1

Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Case TT Armour
Goto start->my computer->right click on the HDD->properties. Then go to tools tab at the top and do the error checking. If that doesnt turn up anything I'm at a loss and would say change the HDD. Hopefully you can still access the files on the drive so you can at least back it up before replacing it. Good luck.

Motherboard Asus M2A-Vm
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake
Goto start->my computer->right click on the HDD->properties. Then go to tools tab at the top and do the error checking. If that doesnt turn up anything I'm at a loss and would say change the HDD. Hopefully you can still access the files on the drive so you can at least back it up before replacing it. Good luck.

Tried that dont know if it worked but when I did the scan the hdd was making some really loud noise and when it stopped scanning the there was less noise. :confused::confused:

Hawk1

Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Case TT Armour
Sounds like the HDD is dying. I would get a replacement and try and salvage any data/files that you can. I am out of suggestions, so unless someone else can think of something, I say replace it. Sorry couldn't provide a definite answer for you.

Motherboard Asus M2A-Vm
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake
Alright thats what I was thinking too thanks for the suggestions.