• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Game Reviews

Should TPU Review Games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.8ghz AIR
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling 3 fans of MADNESS
Memory 4GB ADATA XPG DDR3 1600G
Video Card(s) ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5 memory
Storage 500gb SATAII
Display(s) 23" 1080p Acer H233Hbmid
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream / 600W / Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Professional 64bit
I like your style Steevo, you're blunt and to the point. If you could create something a little larger in that went into detail of things you liked, didn't like, how things worked in your opinion and such, I think you'd make a great reviewer. Someone who's willing to poke at one of the most hyped and money making games ever either hates the game or is brutally honest, I'm judging from the 8/10 you're more of the brutally honest type in your reviews!

:toast:

honestly i would think people looking for reviews on game sites want an in depth review look at all the other review sites hell i think 3 pages is too long but maybe a few paragraphs would be nice?

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Well sure, but this is more a pre-development stage, just people submitting what they have and creating suggestions for the creation of GPU. I'm sure actual reviews will fill more than a page with a couple paragraph's worth. My goal is to have a 3-way review on 3 different systems ranging in levels of performance/components.

For now this is where anyone who wants to donate something should, I believe it will be for the great good of GPU. And a good thread for gamers who support it. :D

B

bassmasta

well, I just got through portal from the orange box. I'm going to write a review because I know more than a few people who don't understand what it's about.

out of the box:
well, it appears rather interesting. a first-person puzzle game.

graphics: 7/10
the graphics are hard to rate in this game. that's because there is nothing to compare it to. in fact, after much searching, the only thing I could find to compare to anything was the character. even then, it was hard to get a good view because you had to manipulate portals around yourself to get a good look. she looks, in short, like a CS:S operative without anti-aliasing. good enough for my needs considering you only see her when you jump at the floor portals, but not good enough. shiny things looked smooth though :rolleyes:

sounds 5/10
the only sounds other than the bubble-pops from your gun are your footsteps and moving floors. since they are recycled from other games, they don't impress me. once in a while you'll hear something odd in the backround, but not long, or regularly enough to really know what they are, except for steam.

gameplay 32/10
wow. this game is the weirdest thing ever. it will throw you through mental loops to make any progress. timing is a big thing, but you have to be able to judge momentum before the middle of the game to make it. a winner if there ever was one.

story 7/10
it was hard to rate the story. it is really only brought out by the enviroment, and you mostly discover things by finding little holes where people lived. even then, it's a very, very basic story, and I can't say anything about it without ruining the ending. but, as they tell you early in the game, "when testing is complete.............. you will be missed." that is not to say they kill you, but if they didn't attempt to, there would be no game. play through to see if they do. I guarantee the ending will be odd, but also funny beyond comprehension.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Alright, well it's been a while since I've heard anything about GPU. I know WIZ is still busy with GPU-z and other projects, but I am still hoping to at least see something before x-mas/new years about GamePowerUp. I am still eagerly awaiting any kind of news about the existance and being of GPU.

Anyone who wants to submit reviews, please keep doing so, thanks to everyone who has submitted and supported thus far! I may post a review of COD4 eventually, when I can stop playing MP long enough to write one!

Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 4x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FEs
Storage 512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC U2879VF, AOC G2260VWQ6
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
[S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Minimum System Requirments:

2.0GHz P4 Processor/ AMD XP 2200+
512MB RAM
128MB Graphics Card (DirectX 9.0b compatible)
Windows 200O/XP
8x Speed CD-ROM drive
10GB Harddrive space
100% DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card

Over 8 years in the making, S.T.A.L.K.E.R was thought to be vaporware. Now, GSC Gameworld has released thi slong-awaited game.

The game is set in the year 2012, in the newly created "Zone" near the Chernobyl NPP, you play as a STALKER who lost his memory in a crash involving some lightning and a "Death Truck". You are found by another STALKER, and then taken to the trader in Cordon where he tells you to go and speak to Wolf, where you get your first weapon and armour.

Gameplay

Quite a good game. You can play 1000 times and it'll be different every time, thanks to the A-Life system. There's a range of missions and weapons, and you can become popular by helping other STALKERs, for example by giving them medkits when injured, and helping on raids and disposing of bandits/military. All characters speak Russain, unless it's something important. When speaking to them though, it's English.

Replayability

Different every time. Dynamic AI means nothing follows a pre-scripted set of actions. All characters target who they want, when they want, and can even run when overwhelmed.

Graphics

Interestingly, the system requirements say that a DX9 card is required, yet by default, in runs with a DX8.1 renderer. The graphics are still extrenly good though.

Overall

A brilliant game. Worth every penny.

Graphics: 85%
Gameplay: 95%
Sound: 80%
Originality: 100%
Moddability: 90%

Overall: 90%

[Insert recommended logo here]

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cheers man! I would like to see more meat though, that's a pretty skinny write up, so make that your basic review, I bet you can add plenty to it! I totally dig Stalker! A buddy gave me his copy (he got bored withit), I haven't played it much lately due to COD4 MP, but I may just have to turn it on after your review! Nice job!

Yeah, I could add more, but I wanna play a bit more, I'm in the lab where you have to enter codes in the doors. What's the code to the second one, after the 1243 (or something) one? I can't find a dead scientist anywhere who might have the code.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
ok guys .. reviews engine is working on the site .. i am taking applications for reviewers now. please dont bother applying unless you have good english and have ways to get screenshots (consoles)

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
ok guys .. reviews engine is working on the site .. i am taking applications for reviewers now. please dont bother applying unless you have good english and have ways to get screenshots (consoles)

I dont have a clue how to get XBOX360 screenshots (apart from using a digi camera lol), otherwise I could have a go at reviewing some 360 titles (as I have most of the UK/NTSC games)

PS: did you realise you called your 'Portal' review 'The Orange Box'? (obviously I know The Orange Box contains Portal....or was that just a test review?)

Last edited:
System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
Just read this thread now.

Wow! I like it! Nice idea Kursah & ChaoticBlankness.

I will support it as much as I can :).

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
PS: did you realise you called your 'Portal' review 'The Orange Box'? (obviously I know The Orange Box contains Portal....or was that just a test review?)

yes it was just a test review .. and portal was too short to properly test the layout

System Name My Lovely PC :)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz @3.12GHz - 1.35v/390fsb/8x multi
Motherboard Gigabyte P43-DS3L
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - MX2 paste
Memory 2GB, Team Value Ram 667 @ 780MHz
Video Card(s) ECS 8800GT 512MB @ 700/1720/2100
Storage 160GB Hitachi Deskstar/80GB Maxtor PY080L0
Display(s) Asus VH226H 22" 1920x1080
Case Eye-T
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD, AC888 8 channel audio
Power Supply 570 Watt, TRUST PSU
Software Windows 7 Beta
aww i guess everyone forgot about me :(

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Processor E8400 @4.4 GHz - FSB @550 MHZ
Motherboard Asus P5K Premium (Black Pearl)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x1GB Geil BlckDrgn 800 @1158 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) 8800GT 512MB @740/1782/2080
Storage Hitachi T7K250 250GB & 7200.10 Seagate 250GB
Display(s) Gateway FPD1975W 19" Widescreen
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Xi-FI Xtreme Audio
Power Supply CoolerMaster IGreen 500W
Software XP Home SP3
Benchmark Scores SuperPi: 10.563 Sciencemark: 2563.14
Oblivion Long-term Play Review

I would love to review PC games, and hope my standard of English and style is good enough.
Here's my Oblivion Long-Term play review and thus my application to be a reviewer. Hope people enjoy it- constructive criticism is welcome from all.

Oblivion Long-term Review

When Oblivion was released it received great aplomb and was applauded not only for its graphical beauty but also its great gameplay. The basic storyline is that you are an unknown prisoner who has to save the land of Cyrodil from Oblivion. Gates to another much darker world appear throughout the game leading to powerful monsters and demonic beasts and soldiers. Your job is to stop the devastation through a series of missions and quests.
You start the game with several choices over what your character will look like, and his/her basic attributes will be. This is quite important; however there is a point about 5 minutes through the game in which you can change these if they are not working out for you. My advice- think carefully how you want to play the game: all-out offensive warrior, the silent hunter, a powerful wizard or a combination of many. These aren’t the complete list by any means, but try and pick attributes that fit your normal style of gameplay. If you know that you are poor when it comes to close up fighting, get a quick character with camouflage and ranged skills; if you love to just come crashing through swinging something large and heavy then don’t pick a weedy mage who’s good with a dagger because you liked the idea of being able to heal. You get the general idea, it is common sense really. I myself chose the acrobatic Dark Elf, with magical prowess and skills with sharp blades as I don’t like massively powerful and armoured juggernauts, and instead prefer crippling the enemies health with magic before I ever reach them, before jumping over my victim, swiping at them with stinging blows.

However, part of the brilliance of Oblivion
is that it does not end there. There is not just the main linear quest as with many games. Instead there are a significant number of other quests to complete, ranging from becoming Archmage of the Mages Guild, and assassin in the Dark Brother hood, to saving an old man’s farm by battling a few goblins for his sons. These secondary quests are extremely well done as they are divided into two categories: Large quests similar to the scale of the main quest, and then smaller independent quests that may run into each other at points. It’s your decision as to when or whether you complete these quests, and in fact I became so embroiled in the smaller ones I didn’t complete the main one until after about 30 hours of gameplay when I decided I really should get back to saving Cyrodil!

There are several improvements over Morrowind, but the most noticeable to me was the huge graphical difference. This game looks good, very good. However, some problems remain and in particular is the combat system. The combat is based on a: left click attack, right click block affair that seems clumsy at best. The spells you can cast (if you take to a magical inclination) is programmed on the ‘C’ key. This to me seemed a poor choice as the majority of destruction spells (attack spells) are range based. This means that accuracy is lowered as you are hitting a key instead of the mouse keys which feel unnatural. I altered this to the scroll-wheel click button on the mouse, and I recommend you either try this or set it to an alternative mouse button configuration. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic does the job of combat much better than Oblivion and the Bethesda team would do well to take a few tips from that design. However, I am not saying that it ruins the game. It is perfectly playable with the current combat style and it is only when facing multiple enemies that it’s weaknesses start to show.

The Menu style is fairly intuitive although there are critics of its slightly clunky and disjointed feel. I have vague sympathies with this, but if it gets to you try the BTMod by Tikigod and Beider. The world of Oblivion is large, and you get around the huge map by walking, horse riding, or after you’ve found a location- fast travel. The latter is a good addition as without it the game would become tiresome- something that always plagued, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. When you set out the road to each town in wrought with wild creatures and mysterious caves that you encounter along the way. Whether you take the conventional road or the wild, you’ll find many beasts or these odd buildings and small levels. The overall difficulty of the game verges on being too easy at points and frustrating at others. There is one consideration when attempting to level up quickly by, for example, using a open lock spell over and over again- creatures and bandits who roam the land of Cyrodil also level up with you. So if you’ve not become very good at the game because you avoided the learning curve then you will soon have a problem on your hands, as some small time bandit carries what seems to be the Axe of Total Doom and armour that is a strong as Nitride-Coated Titanium while you still have your rickety Goblin Stick of Uselessness. However if you had played through the game properly, putting in the hours of work, then you would have a matching Sword of Doom, Spell of Annihilating Power and some rather dandy armour that allows you to match him. OK, so the nomenclature of the items is not quite as bad as I make it out to be, but at some points it can give a few giggles.

In conclusion, the game is good, in fact, it’s outstanding. It can seemingly appeal to all ages and genre lovers too. I myself am not a fan of the long fantasy RPG style, preferring realistic FPS and proper RTS games, but I was enraptured by this game. I’ve spent a good deal more than 90 hours on it so far and have nowhere near completed all of the quests and decided to finally take on the fighters guild quest which didn’t suit me earlier on as I chose a sneaky magic based character. However there are several points that I really feel need to be said: Firstly is the way the game feels real at points, conversation and personalities of different characters comes through so much that when I failed a mission and had to tell an elderly man that I hadn’t managed to save his sons, I almost couldn’t do it. All I had to do was click the appropriate answer, but it was heart wrenching seeing this man’s despair. In fact I confess I had to reload a Quicksave (the usual F5/F6 affair) to try the mission again because it kept niggling at me. That is the measure of a good game- can it make you feel like you’re really there and that the simulated world is real? Oblivion does so, and very well. It has its flaws but I don’t think there’s a single modern RPG on the market at present that can match it even now. The game to which all other fantasy RPG’s must be compared to.

95% or 9.5/10

Minimum requirements:

Windows XP/Vista
2GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
512MB RAM
Radeon 9500/Geforce FX 5200 or higher
(128MB DX9.0 card or higher required)

GPU! Recommended requirements:
WindowsXP/Vista
E2180/AMD 4000+ or higher
2GB RAM
Radeon X800/ Geforce 6800 or higher (256MB DX9.0 or higher)

theonetruewill

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
looks great. contact me on instant messenger please

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I would love to review PC games, and hope my standard of English and style is good enough.
Here's my Oblivion Long-Term play review and thus my application to be a reviewer. Hope people enjoy it- constructive criticism is welcome from all.

Oblivion Long-term Review

When Oblivion was released it received great aplomb and was applauded not only for its graphical beauty but also its great gameplay. The basic storyline is that you are an unknown prisoner who has to save the land of Cyrodil from Oblivion. Gates to another much darker world appear throughout the game leading to powerful monsters and demonic beasts and soldiers. Your job is to stop the devastation through a series of missions and quests.
You start the game with several choices over what your character will look like, and his/her basic attributes will be. This is quite important; however there is a point about 5 minutes through the game in which you can change these if they are not working out for you. My advice- think carefully how you want to play the game: all-out offensive warrior, the silent hunter, a powerful wizard or a combination of many. These aren’t the complete list by any means, but try and pick attributes that fit your normal style of gameplay. If you know that you are poor when it comes to close up fighting, get a quick character with camouflage and ranged skills; if you love to just come crashing through swinging something large and heavy then don’t pick a weedy mage who’s good with a dagger because you liked the idea of being able to heal. You get the general idea, it is common sense really. I myself chose the acrobatic Dark Elf, with magical prowess and skills with sharp blades as I don’t like massively powerful and armoured juggernauts, and instead prefer crippling the enemies health with magic before I ever reach them, before jumping over my victim, swiping at them with stinging blows.

However, part of the brilliance of Oblivion
is that it does not end there. There is not just the main linear quest as with many games. Instead there are a significant number of other quests to complete, ranging from becoming Archmage of the Mages Guild, and assassin in the Dark Brother hood, to saving an old man’s farm by battling a few goblins for his sons. These secondary quests are extremely well done as they are divided into two categories: Large quests similar to the scale of the main quest, and then smaller independent quests that may run into each other at points. It’s your decision as to when or whether you complete these quests, and in fact I became so embroiled in the smaller ones I didn’t complete the main one until after about 30 hours of gameplay when I decided I really should get back to saving Cyrodil!

There are several improvements over Morrowind, but the most noticeable to me was the huge graphical difference. This game looks good, very good. However, some problems remain and in particular is the combat system. The combat is based on a: left click attack, right click block affair that seems clumsy at best. The spells you can cast (if you take to a magical inclination) is programmed on the ‘C’ key. This to me seemed a poor choice as the majority of destruction spells (attack spells) are range based. This means that accuracy is lowered as you are hitting a key instead of the mouse keys which feel unnatural. I altered this to the scroll-wheel click button on the mouse, and I recommend you either try this or set it to an alternative mouse button configuration. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic does the job of combat much better than Oblivion and the Bethesda team would do well to take a few tips from that design. However, I am not saying that it ruins the game. It is perfectly playable with the current combat style and it is only when facing multiple enemies that it’s weaknesses start to show.

The Menu style is fairly intuitive although there are critics of its slightly clunky and disjointed feel. I have vague sympathies with this, but if it gets to you try the BTMod by Tikigod and Beider. The world of Oblivion is large, and you get around the huge map by walking, horse riding, or after you’ve found a location- fast travel. The latter is a good addition as without it the game would become tiresome- something that always plagued, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. When you set out the road to each town in wrought with wild creatures and mysterious caves that you encounter along the way. Whether you take the conventional road or the wild, you’ll find many beasts or these odd buildings and small levels. The overall difficulty of the game verges on being too easy at points and frustrating at others. There is one consideration when attempting to level up quickly by, for example, using a open lock spell over and over again- creatures and bandits who roam the land of Cyrodil also level up with you. So if you’ve not become very good at the game because you avoided the learning curve then you will soon have a problem on your hands, as some small time bandit carries what seems to be the Axe of Total Doom and armour that is a strong as Nitride-Coated Titanium while you still have your rickety Goblin Stick of Uselessness. However if you had played through the game properly, putting in the hours of work, then you would have a matching Sword of Doom, Spell of Annihilating Power and some rather dandy armour that allows you to match him. OK, so the nomenclature of the items is not quite as bad as I make it out to be, but at some points it can give a few giggles.

In conclusion, the game is good, in fact, it’s outstanding. It can seemingly appeal to all ages and genre lovers too. I myself am not a fan of the long fantasy RPG style, preferring realistic FPS and proper RTS games, but I was enraptured by this game. I’ve spent a good deal more than 90 hours on it so far and have nowhere near completed all of the quests and decided to finally take on the fighters guild quest which didn’t suit me earlier on as I chose a sneaky magic based character. However there are several points that I really feel need to be said: Firstly is the way the game feels real at points, conversation and personalities of different characters comes through so much that when I failed a mission and had to tell an elderly man that I hadn’t managed to save his sons, I almost couldn’t do it. All I had to do was click the appropriate answer, but it was heart wrenching seeing this man’s despair. In fact I confess I had to reload a Quicksave (the usual F5/F6 affair) to try the mission again because it kept niggling at me. That is the measure of a good game- can it make you feel like you’re really there and that the simulated world is real? Oblivion does so, and very well. It has its flaws but I don’t think there’s a single modern RPG on the market at present that can match it even now. The game to which all other fantasy RPG’s must be compared to.

95% or 9.5/10

Minimum requirements:

Windows XP/Vista
2GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
512MB RAM
Radeon 9500/Geforce FX 5200 or higher
(128MB DX9.0 card or higher required)

GPU! Recommended requirements:
WindowsXP/Vista
E2180/AMD 4000+ or higher
2GB RAM
Radeon X800/ Geforce 6800 or higher (256MB DX9.0 or higher)

theonetruewill

Nice write-up ;) Almost makes me want to play it again :)

I really like the system requirements idea (ie what they say, which is BS usually and then what GPU says.....brilliant idea!)

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
Nice write-up ;) Almost makes me want to play it again :)

I really like the system requirements idea (ie what they say, which is BS usually and then what GPU says.....brilliant idea!)

Do you reckon the system requirements are correct? I personally believe that those should be the minimum if you want to play the game properly.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I think they are. I played Oblivion on an X800 and I don't think I would want to play it on anything much less powerful.

Dizzy

Processor Core 2 Duo X6800 @ 3.4 gHz
Motherboard nVidia nForce 680i
Cooling Tuniq Tower
Memory 2GB Mushkin XP2-8500 DDR2
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX
Storage 2 x 160gb Western Digital in Raid 0
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Software Windows XP
I would very much enjoy reviewing games, so this is my sample review of Supreme Commander, and hence my application.

Supreme Commander: A Review

Origins

This game is the unofficial sequel to Total Annihilation, a game released in 1997, which was the first game to feature 3D units and terrain, and hence was a landmark in RTS gaming. The game was highly praised by critics and players, and won numerous awards, including GameSpot's Game of the Year Award for 1997. It is a testament to the greatness of this game that people are still playing it now, just over ten years later.

Supreme Commander took some of the favourite elements of this historic game, added some elements of RTS gaming that have evolved in the interim, and some new elements that had been designed specifically for Supreme Commander. The result is a game that pushes the boundaries of what is possible in RTS gaming, while also giving a nice retro feeling to those gamers who have been around long enough to remember that old favourite, Total Annihilation.

Gameplay 9.5/10

The main difference between this game and its contemporaries that a gamer will notice, is the scale. The largest map that comes with Supreme commander is a whopping 81km by 81 km, with land units, on their own, taking as much as half an hour to cross. The immediate affect this has is to lift the game above merely being an excuse to spam basic troops (as has become the staple of a number of RTS games), and rather make this more tactical, with coordination between different elements of the war-machine necessary for success. For example, although it will take half an hour to cross the map with your battalion of tanks, your aerial transports can take them there in under a minute. However those transports are sitting ducks unless they have fighter support to fend off the enemy, so you will need to use them as well. But the enemy has built anti-air in strategic positions, so you will need to make a preliminary assault to know those out before you can transport your troops. But then... and the cycle goes on. It takes the traditional rock-paper-scissors approach to tactics in RTS gaming, and turns that into a complicated network, keeping the general always on their toes. The scale also allows for huge, theoretically game-ending units, which are so large that they can destroy units and buildings by accidentally stepping on them. However again they are not unbeatable, and many a Galactic Assault Bot has been destroyed by a well-timed bombing run, if it is not sufficiently defended.

Another major difference that will surprise gamers who haven't played Total Annihilation is the way resources are dealt with. There are two resources, Mass and Energy, but they soon become rather interchangeable, as in the late game you will have many devices that can and do convert one into the other at a steady rate. Rather than treating them like a stockpile that is expended instantly whenever you command a building to be built, or a unit to be upgraded, it is treated more as a flow, with resources coming and and out constantly. Resources are used gradually, the greater the rate a building is built (for example), the faster the resources are used up. This is more realistic, and it helps the gameplay in a number of ways. The first being that it is impossible to 'lose' as long as you still have your Commander (your primary building unit). He generates a small supply of resources on his own, and so can (albeit at a very slow rate as the resources he generates are very little) rebuilt an entire base from scratch. The second is that suddenly having more builders (or engineers as they are known here) working on one building is a mixed blessing. Although the building is built quicker, you may find that as more engineers work you soon run out of your stored resources, and ALL your building throughout your war machine is limited to the rate resources are coming in. Thirdly it forces people to USE their resources, as the amount you can store is limited and beyond that you are wasting precious resource.

A number of tools have been added by Gas Powered Games to make playing on this scale an easier experience. The shift button becomes an invaluable tool, allowing any unit to not only be given way-points, but to grab existing points that have been given and to move them, allowing for changes in battle. Units can also be ordered to “Co-ordinate Attack”, having one or more groups of troops slow to ensure they reach the target at the same time as the others that have been ordered to attack that target. The changes are not only limited to military units, all units can use the “Assist” command, which orders that unit to assist one of your units however it can, whether repairing, defending, or aiding in building. The assisting units will follow any orders that have been given to the assisted unit, meaning you can add new units to an existing order with ease. Finally, a feature that may soon become a staple of RTS gaming. By using the scroll wheel, you can zoom out to view the entire map at once, for co-coordinating movements, and then zoom in anywhere you want. This makes navigating such large maps a breeze, and completely obsoletes the mini-map.

The larger scale means that many RTS gamers need to take a little while to relearn how to play, however very quickly you can get the hang of it. Unfortunately the AI seems to not be sufficiently challenging once you have reached this level, and for competition a gamer must turn to online gaming against human players, or find a mod that increases the difficulty of the AI. Also in the medium game in the larger maps the game can lose some of its attraction, with the micro-managing of the early game lessening and the set piece battles of the late game still to come. However this does not apply when you are playing against accomplished gamers, they will keep you fighting your hardest the whole way though.

This game is challenging. You really need to concentrate to play well, and so it is not good as a relaxation exercise. However if you are looking for an enjoyable hour or so, this is a very good way to find it.

Graphics and Physics 9/10

The graphics for this game are astounding, truly incredible. To my eyes, there is nowhere a more beautiful game than this, with so many intricately designed units moving in unison. At least, while you stay zoomed out. Zoom in too far and the graphics are significantly worsened, with blocky units and a very unconvincing landscape. You will never in the course of a battle zoom in this far, however when I did I was disappointed that the graphics had not lived up to my expectations, considering the beauty of the rest of the game.

The graphics really come into their own though in the big battles. I have found myself sitting and just watching the armies clash, ignoring my empire to get a glimpse of the graphical splendor.

The physics of the game are surprisingly realistic. Unlike most games, every shot fired has its trajectory calculated, and if something gets in the way, it hits that! You can see planes shot out the sky by an artillery shell in mid-flight, units crushed by the legs of the huge Experimental Units, and many other real-world styled interactions. This will not affect the gameplay hugely, however it does add to the immersion factor of the game, which is very important.

System Requirements

This game requires a VERY good computer to run well. I would not advise running it on anything less than a dual-core processor, although a quad-core would be preferable. To give you a feeling of what it can ask for, I am running a rig with a x6800 at 3.2 gHz, an 8800 GTX, and 2GB of ram, and even my computer gets lag on the biggest maps. This is one of the major failings of Supreme Commander, so much processing is done for the physics and the huge numbers of units that can be around at one time (up to eight thousand between eight players!), that you need a supreme processor to play it to its limit. You can enjoy this game without a good processor, however you will find yourself limited to the smaller maps, with fewer players; and possibly a lowered unit cap.

Conclusion

This is a visually stunning, revolutionary game, that eats the top computers for breakfast. If your PC is not good enough, or more specifically your PROCESSOR is not good enough, this game will just frustrate you with awful fps that no game can make up for. However if you have a good processor, and you are an RTS gamer looking for something new, then this would be an excellent choice, that you will not regret.

90%

Last edited:
System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
Emphasize the need for a fast processor, not just 'computer;' especially on the larger maps and with multiple AI players. Ace review ;)

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys are tearing it up! Got some great reviews in this thread so far! I can't wait to see those of you W1z decides on to becoming pro reviewers for GPU! I've considered posting a review or two myself...but decided against it. But keep it up guys! You're doing awesome!

Speaking of which, I need to contact W1z on instant messaging next chance I get... I applied for the position :)

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of which, I need to contact W1z on instant messaging next chance I get... I applied for the position :)

:toast: I hope you get the position Ben. Best of luck to ya!

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Case Antec 1200
Software XP Home SP3
From what I can gather W1z wants long, detailed and well-written reviews. Take 30 mins or more to write something solid on a game and then submit it. If you do, and he likes it, then you'll get the job. I'm sure a tonne of you can write far better than I can.

Last edited:

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
very nice reviews guys! im looking forward to reading more!

oh and for the ratings, there should be ratings for a bunch of things and then all together averaged for a final score, and i love the game sys requirements and the gpu! sys requirements cause many times the game sys requirements are a lot of bs.