• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The HD DVD clubhouse

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Effmaster, you're the leader of the HD DVD club, but you don't have an HD DVD player? You need to get on the ball. And yea u gotta get sparticus, but ESPECIALLY, you need to get slither!

Right now I have been watching them at my neigbors house on his HD DVD player (the Toshiba HD-XA1 (if i spelled it correctly)is totally awesome to watch HD DVD's in) Why bother when the only HD monitor that I have is my laptop. I mean sure I could buy one and connect it to my laptop but apparently you havent seen the mess of cords I have hanging around my desk right now.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Already have plans on when I will be buying one though. December 26th:toast::toast:

In case you all have already forgotten CompUSA is starting to close down. And the one near me and Wareagle here in Huntsville is giving up to 20% off on everything, although their only giving 10% off of video games and consoles. ha ha, that means I can get the HD DVD player even cheaper there, and not to mention the fact that I can get an even deeper discount come the day after Christmas since thats when they said the prices would be the best with most of their stuff still in stock, not to mention the fact that all of their HDTV's are also 10% off as of right now with further discounts to come:rockout::rockout: I heart you CompUSA we will always miss you as the greatest independent computer store that tried to stand up against Best Buy:cry::cry:

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Count me in now. I have the Toshiba A3 and love it.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Software Lots of it

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
Unfortunately i have a few essential HD movies only published on blu-gay. Namely, Apocalypto. But believe me, if they were released on both formats, I'd only buy them on HD DVD!!!

How can we trust you:laugh::laugh:

Also I must add that to quote another website on how well HD DVD has done as well as for us to celebrate 21 members here is a well thought out quote from this site: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/the-state-of-hd-dvd/the-state-of-hd-dvd-330684.php

Heres the quote: "There's still some time before this whole thing shakes out, but because of the organization and proper planning of the HD DVD camp, Blu-ray no longer looks anything like the predestined victor that it once seemed."

Last edited:

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Effmaster, doyou have an xbox360? I use the HD DVD add on for mine.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
Effmaster, doyou have an xbox360? I use the HD DVD add on for mine.

Of course I have an xbox 360. but Im waiting till December 26th to buy the HD DVD player add on :laugh::laugh:

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
What's your XBL Gamertag? Do you have CoD4?

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
What's your XBL Gamertag? Do you have CoD4?

Its: "effmaster" but no quotation marks:laugh::laugh:

Sadly my game library only consists of:
1.) Halo 3
2.) & Bioshock atm

I will be buying more stuff soon but for know Im being careful as to where my money goes since im having to make a bunch of payments right now (dont read into it too much right now) I still have money but its not like its coming out of a money machine anymore for now like it was before a bunch of $hit happened:laugh::laugh:

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Put halo3 on ebay, and buy a cod4 on ebay.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
Put halo3 on ebay, and buy a cod4 on ebay.

Whats the point if I have no TV since I had to sell it to get some cash $$$$$$ to pay a lady.

Besides I really enjoy Halo 3:slap:
COD4 sucks for me. They really dissapointed me when I rented it and found that the multiplayer maps were directly ripped off fromthe campaign.

At least in Halo 3 what few maps that they based off of the campaign they were not even close to being exactly from the campaign. Some of them were only inspired by the campaign and that was it.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
COD4 is awesome - but you have to be a highly competent and skilled FPS player to enjoy it.

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
@ dangle

Could you make a sig for the xbox 360 clubhouse and the hd-dvd one? it kinda makes sense to me since i use the 360 hd-dvd drive ;)

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
COD4 is awesome - but you have to be a highly competent and skilled FPS player to enjoy it.

I enjoyed COD and COD2 but I made myself a resolution that if they did the same thing with multiplayer maps again in COD4 then I wasnt buying it. Its a great game don't get me wrong , but I refuse to pay for a game where the developers were lazy on the multiplayer

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
@ dangle

Could you make a sig for the xbox 360 clubhouse and the hd-dvd one? it kinda makes sense to me since i use the 360 hd-dvd drive ;)
Are you asking me to make a new sig image for the Xbox360 clubhouse? I can if u want.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
[
I enjoyed COD and COD2 but I made myself a resolution that if they did the same thing with multiplayer maps again in COD4 then I wasnt buying it. Its a great game don't get me wrong , but I refuse to pay for a game where the developers were lazy on the multiplayer

CoD4 is awesome. I haven't played the single player so I wouldn't know. And trust me, Infinity Ward is not a lazy company. You want to talk about lazy.... look at Bunjie. They have some of the worst physics and character animation I've ever seen - especially for how much money the game makes. Anyway, If u don't want to get CoD4 that's cool, but U should get ORange box so we can play TF2! That game is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL!.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
[

CoD4 is awesome. I haven't played the single player so I wouldn't know. And trust me, Infinity Ward is not a lazy company. You want to talk about lazy.... look at Bunjie. They have some of the worst physics and character animation I've ever seen - especially for how much money the game makes. Anyway, If u don't want to get CoD4 that's cool, but U should get ORange box so we can play TF2! That game is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL!.

Stop pressuring me into buying certain games already. The animatrion and Physics from Bungie were nice. Maybe just an addon but still nice. And furthermore. Lazy is what Infinity Ward is if it can't even come up with fresh new ideas for maps, rather than resorting to ripping maps out of the campaign.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
lol. ok. I'll add u to my friends list.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Our clubhouse is getting torn down by Blu-Ray and the movie studios,...:ohwell:

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
Our clubhouse is getting torn down by Blu-Ray and the movie studios,...:ohwell:

i agree!!! sadly, i think blu-ray is going to win this.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Toshiba should have bit the bullet and released their drive for $200 from the start. Sure they'd have lost tons of money to begin with, but it would have all been payed back if HD DVD became the standard. Idiots... Now that BluRay won, they're going to make none of the money back. I'll not buy any Blu-ray movies. I'll just rent on netflix and download.

department76

System Name Fusilli
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 C3 @ 3.9GHz (200x19.5, 1.51V)
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX/SB600 (AM2+)
Cooling Zalman 9700NT, 2x silent 80mm & 2x 120mm Scythe & Enermax
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4870 512MB @ 825/1050 (3x heatpipes)
Storage 2x 250GB RAID 0 - Seagate 7200.10 16MB on Promise FastTrak
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2450 & VX1940
Case Lian-Li PC60 PlusII
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-Fi Prelude, Denon AH-D1000 headphones
Power Supply OCZ GameXtreme 600W
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage - P10909
count me in! i am the proud owner of a toshiba HD-A2 that i view on my 32" lcd and listen with my denon avr.

effmaster

Memory 2 GB DDR2
Storage 120 GB
Case metallic grey
Software Lots of it
count me in! i am the proud owner of a toshiba HD-A2 that i view on my 32" lcd and listen with my denon avr.

You have been added;)
But whats the point now:shadedshu:shadedshu

Unless Warner or some other Movie studio decides to switch allegiances from Blu Ray to HD DVD then this war will be over very soon. I will always support HD DVD just because it was already a set standard that had everything from the start that Blu Ray is still struggling to get to work on their discs. (I.E. PiP)

We all need to make our voices be heard people If we want to have HD DVD to still win then we need to show warner that we just werent buying alot of their HD DVD's who knows. If all 750,000 plus HD DVD owners out there buy 1 warner HD DVD this week or the next or whenever the next HD DVD release Warner makes before they finally go exclusive, then they just may tchange their minds. Come on people we cant lie around and just watrch this format war. We need to start buying more HD DVD's than what we already have been. Because Im willing to bet that its the DVD sales from Harry Potter that gave Warner its decision. Not enough HD DVD owners bought the movie. I dont blame them either. I think Warner made an unfair assesment on the Harry Potter movie by not thinking about the fact that maybe not everyone wanted to buy it, since its not the type of movie theywanted to buy. Look at the HD DVD sales that Transformers had. They had 190,000 at the start sold out.

Sorry for the rant but I feel semi-responsible since I created this thread.

I dont think we can admit defeat yet, but if we dont start buying HD DVD's soon then no film studio will keep supporting us.

And should HD DVD lose this format war then I apologize to any member of this clubhouse that we may have converted to the wrong side. I simply supported HD DVD because of its low price, better features and the promise that even if it failed then the other side of the HD DVD's could still be used as a DVD. That much I really liked about it. Plus Microsoft supported the format and still does to this day.

And yes Dangle I have already gotten my HD DVD player i actually had already bought it before Warner had made its announcement:shadedshu:shadedshu I bought it on December 31st from CompUSA with it being 20% off the HD DVD player there. As A side note CompUSA is selling xbox 360s and PS3's for 15% off last I checked since they are going out of business, just in case theres anyone here looking for a 360 or HD DVD player for even cheaper.

Again I just want to apologize to all of the members of this clubhouse in the even that I ended up steering them in the wrong way, I am truthfully sorry. This hurts me greatly:cry::shadedshu

Processor Intel C2D E8500 @ 4.25GHz (1.36V)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
Cooling (Temporary) Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 2GB Transcend aXeram 1200+
Video Card(s) HIS HD3870 CF Volt modded
Storage 3 Seagate 320Gb Barracuda in an Intel Matrix Raid array
Display(s) Sony GDM-FW900 24" Widescreen CRT (a.k.a "The Shiznotch")
Case Ultra Aluminus Full Tower
Audio Device(s) onboard Intel HD audio
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
Software XP MCE + Vista (HP) dual-boot
You owe noone an apology! This thread was for owners to talk about and promote the HD DVD format. This is what we were able to do in this thread you were so kind and dedicated enough to maintain.

Even though I like Sony products (in general), I am not a fan of their proprietary formats they are constantly pushing on consumers.

I think the reason they are going in "both barrels blazin'" is because they are aware that true consumers of electronics are fully aware of their track record (Betamax, Mini Disc(ATRAC compression), UMD and finally Blu-ray. Losing the HD format war would be the nail in the coffin for them. They have squandered hundreds of millions of dollars to make sure they don't lose this one. I would forsee a bankruptcy if the current format failed. They have literally "bet the farm" on Blu-ray via it's sole affordable transport: the PS3.

This is getting to be like a sumo match, one little shift of leverage and the whole battle changes. I was sure the DreamWorks thing would have sealed the deal fro HD DVD. How quickly the tide turns.

I won't give up either. Heck, I guess I'll be able to scoop up all the titles on the cheap!

So again, chin up, no apologies. The last shot has not been fired.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Even though I like Sony products (in general).
Have you seen the latest James Bond movie? It's a 2 hour Sony commercial.

-At one point in the movie, someone has to record a surveillance onto a BluRay disc. He picks up the BD-rom and tilts it towards the camera for a second or two while the camera focuses on "Sony BD-R Blu-Ray disc".

-Every Laptop PC in there is a VAIO which sports the huge VAIO logo on the back - as if james bond would be using something as lame as a vaio.

-Then at one point his chick is going to take a picture with her digi cam. The camera focuses close-up on the front of the camera "SONY CYBERSHOT".

I'm getting kinda fed up with Sony. Their PS3 is a piece of garbage with no good games. I spent over a thousand dollars buying 2 ps3s but I have no games for it. I'm going to keep away from sony products as much as I can. I'll just rent all my High Def movies. No need to buy them.

they are just supporting other hd formats to let the consumer decide what they want

there is the argument that blu ray has more space but this isnt valid when talking about movies because video if converted in the same type should be about the same

i think that you can say that blu ray has more extras on it but they dont usually pout that much to warrant a blu ray disk

if i get a hd tv ill get the hd dvd addon for xbox 360 a bonus is that i can use it on my PC i would only use hd dvd for movies coz its not used for games or storage much

its just consumer choice tho in the end i think sony shouldnt force its format on the consumer

btw microsoft didnt create HD DVD it just supports it