• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AV Forum?

Should there be an AV Subforum?

• Yes

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Don't look at this isolated case, look at the trend and it's a bad one, that of diversification of the forums. General Hardware is a very big thing, everything fits into it and there's no point in an AV forum when not many general hardware threads I come across are AV related. Aah, the things would be different if AV related threads/questions are dominating General Hardware and there's a desperate need for a separate forum created, which it isn't now.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
batrunr, just add an a/v section under "hardware." it wont look cluttered and it will actually make searching for information easier.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Don't look at this isolated case, look at the trend and it's a bad one, that of diversification of the forums. General Hardware is a very big thing, everything fits into it and there's no point in an AV forum when not many general hardware threads I come across are AV related. Aah, the things would be different if AV related threads/questions are dominating General Hardware and there's a desperate need for a separate forum created, which it isn't now.

Yeah, but since all you see is about CPU this and Mobo that, a lot of people wouldn't want to ask those types of questions here.. Yeah, this is TPU an all tech place, but everywhere you see is about something that runs from a computer... So thats where Easy is coming from..
I get where your coming from also.. but, not all of us are non noobs ,that don't want to get crushed by people who put them down for where they post things...

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
batrunr, just add an a/v section under "hardware." it wont look cluttered and it will actually make searching for information easier.

i agree. this will certainly be a good addition to the forum.. and will certainly not add clutter. i mean look at this forum:
http://forums.pcper.com/index.php

sure the motherboard section is overkill, but it certainly does help a lot when it comes to getting around and certainly makes you feel more comfortable browsing in a well organized forum.

im all for this.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix

so you are worried that if an a/v section were created people will come to tpu and post a/v related question in the general hardware section not knowing there is an a/v section? i dont get your logic.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah, but since all you see is about CPU this and Mobo that, a lot of people wouldn't want to ask those types of questions here.. Yeah, this is TPU an all tech place, but everywhere you see is about something that runs from a computer... So thats where Easy is coming from..
I get where your coming from also.. but, not all of us are non noobs ,that don't want to get crushed by people who put them down for where they post things...

Why not? You mean people in the past haven't asked questions relating to AV at all in the General Hardware? It is General Hardware and NOT General Computer Hardware, don't forget that. It takes commonsense to realise that and post a new thread in Gen. HW. Go back to the forum index and you will find a even "noobs" by whatever definition posting stuff/ starting threads about speakers, HDTV, sound cards, etc. You needn't be a techie to tell the difference between "General Hardware" and "General Computer Hardware" irrespective of computer hardware related threads dominating General Hardware.

so you are worried that if an a/v section were created people will come to tpu and post a/v related question in the general hardware section not knowing there is an a/v section? i dont get your logic.

Not logic, you didn't read the post correctly. There's no point in an AV section when AV related threads are less in General Hardware and there's very little need for a new Forum section for it while the issue would be different if it was cluttering Gen. Hardware and needed a new section.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Why not? You mean people in the past haven't asked questions relating to AV at all in the General Hardware? It is General Hardware and NOT General Computer Hardware, don't forget that. It takes commonsense to realise that and post a new thread in Gen. HW. Go back to the forum index and you will find a even "noobs" by whatever definition posting stuff/ starting threads about speakers, HDTV, sound cards, etc. You needn't be a techie to tell the difference between "General Hardware" and "General Computer Hardware" irrespective of computer hardware related threads dominating General Hardware.

most people do take general hardware to be general tech related hardware though. its a tech forum.. you just wont get people talking about building houses etc in the thread.. let alone other genres of hardware such as sex toys... theres a general precedent and most people follow it.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium

The point is more people would be likely to ask AV questions here rather than go to another forum and sign up there. So, it would defiantly help, cause I know I signed up for one on the recommendation of another member here, I'm really all for this AV stuff.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
most people do take general hardware to be general tech related hardware though. its a tech forum.. you just wont get people talking about building houses etc in the thread.. let alone other genres of hardware such as sex toys... theres a general precedent and most people follow it.

Well sex toys are as general as Audio Visual equipment, they're hardware, unfortunately sex toys are not into TPU forums, too bad Pancho :(

The point is more people would be likely to ask AV questions here rather than go to another forum and sign up there. So, it would defiantly help, cause I know I signed up for one on the recommendation of another member here, I'm really all for this AV stuff.

Then nothing tells you that you can't ask them in General hardware, you're smart enough to understand General Hardware not to be pertaining to Computer Hardware alone, aren't you? A sound card comes under AV, it comes under PC hardware too, so you'll have answerers from both walks. Then again, the whole purpose of forum diversification is defeated if answerers look for new threads by clicking "New Posts".

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro

NO, they have... but if a person looks at this site, and sees nothing but Computer parts, would they ask something a/v? I don't think so. They would go somewhere else that shows...
IMO
And I've never forgot what the words General Hardware means...
So, if in a week or so, I pop in and talk about how my Kicker Solo-Baric's are having an issues to where my fuses are blowing, someone isn't going to jump in and say something like "this isn't computer related"? thats all I'm going at...

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Well sex toys are as general as Audio Visual equipment, they're hardware, unfortunately sex toys are not into TPU forums, too bad Pancho :(

lol, i go to loads of other forums..where i do get into talks about sex toys...dont worry :p :laugh:

one forum that i think that needs to be made and deserves a higher priority then AV is a "check my build" forum.. since those seem to take up a great percentage of the general hardware forum.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
NO, they have... but if a person looks at this site, and sees nothing but Computer parts, would they ask something a/v? I don't think so. They would go somewhere else that shows...
IMO
And I've never forgot what the words General Hardware means...
So, if in a week or so, I pop in and talk about how my Kicker Solo-Baric's are having an issues to where my fuses are blowing, someone isn't going to jump in and say something like "this isn't computer related"? thats all I'm going at...

solid point cold.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
lol, i go to loads of other forums..where i do get into talks about sex toys...dont worry :p :laugh:

one forum that i think that needs to be made and deserves a higher priority then AV is a "check my build" forum.. since those seem to take up a great percentage of the general hardware forum.

Lets start a thread up this weekend about sex toys in Gen. and see when and how bad we get an infraction.. or better, dan come in and put down the hammer! Dan, I love ya man!

panchoman

Sold my stars!

the problem though, is that we need experts to answer the AV questions. we have a programming thread.. but its never active.. tpu members choose to use other forums for that just cause most people here are hardcore peeps.. specializing in hardware and not software.. you know?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

Post a question, for the heck of it and see if you don't get good replies from people other than those who posted on this thread.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Post a question, for the heck of it and see if you don't get good replies from people other than those who posted on this thread.

tempted to make a thread on sex toys now..

kwchang007

Then nothing tells you that you can't ask them in General hardware, you're smart enough to understand General Hardware not to be pertaining to Computer Hardware alone, aren't you? A sound card comes under AV, it comes under PC hardware too, so you'll have answerers from both walks. Then again, the whole purpose of forum diversification is defeated if answerers look for new threads by clicking "New Posts".

No it's true you can ask about them in General hardware. But AV audio/video specifically. Wouldn't it be better to have people that ask questions about tvs, hd specs, blu-ray/hd dvd, receivers, amps, speakers, etc all in one place. Then there would be less clutter in general hardware. I mean honestly what's wrong with AV? Also, it would look kinda out of place having a guide to calibrating say a hdtv in general hardware, that just doesn't connect in my mind.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
tempted to make a thread on sex toys now..

Do it and see an improved respect-o-meter reading :rolleyes:

Also, it would look kinda out of place having a guide to calibrating say a hdtv in general hardware, that just doesn't connect in my mind.

How, didn't such questions in the past receive good replies?

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro

I will.. it won't be now, it will be, like i said, a week or so... and it won't be an easy one ether... there is a reason for the ringing in my ears, and it didn't come from playing doom3

kwchang007

the problem though, is that we need experts to answer the AV questions. we have a programming thread.. but its never active.. tpu members choose to use other forums for that just cause most people here are hardcore peeps.. specializing in hardware and not software.. you know?

Yeah I understand that, but I think more people know about AV compared to people about programming here on TPU. So I'm coming from the view that I've seen people posting about their sound set ups and saying things I don't understand. Honestly it's not up to us if this is going to happen but up to other people. Also...where'd sex toys come up....:roll:

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1

panchoman

Sold my stars!

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
All I have to say is that I believe there should be a section that states everything Non computer that Tech geeks would play with!

panchoman

Sold my stars!
bta, i hope a proved a point. some genres of hardware just dont work. as you saw.. i posted a legit question and it was in the correct forum, general hardware. but it was taken down by thermo.. someone wouldn't really go about asking about sex toys in a tech forums general hardware thread because its just a completely different thing and it doesn't fit in. thus, its the same thing with AV, in a thread dominated by posts like "system wont boot" "what cpu to get" "new build.. what do you think", etc. why would anyone go about making a thread saying "My home theather system doesn't work.. HELP!". and here, they were almost opposites and it was closed. i have pmed thermo out of curiosity as to what rule i've broken.. and i have not received an answer yet.. i will update you if i do. so this is why we need an AV forum.. so that tpu users can get AV help here without having to hesitate when posting in general hardware. and this is why we need an AV forum.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
bta, i hope a proved a point. some genres of hardware just dont work. as you saw.. i posted a legit question and it was in the correct forum, general hardware. but it was taken down by thermo.. someone wouldn't really go about asking about sex toys in a tech forums general hardware thread because its just a completely different thing and it doesn't fit in. thus, its the same thing with AV, in a thread dominated by posts like "system wont boot" "what cpu to get" "new build.. what do you think", etc. why would anyone go about making a thread saying "My home theather system doesn't work.. HELP!". and here, they were almost opposites and it was closed. i have pmed thermo out of curiosity as to what rule i've broken.. and i have not received an answer yet.. i will update you if i do. so this is why we need an AV forum.. so that tpu users can get AV help here without having to hesitate when posting in general hardware. and this is why we need an AV forum.

Yes but a sound card is acceptable piece of hardware that will fetch answers in the General Hardware. Comparing a sound-card or HDTV to a sex-toy is supreme idiocy on your part.