• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Futuremark 3DMark Vantage Screenshots Online

Buyer's remorse, eh? Don't worry, you aren't alone. There, that make you feel better? I know how many people like to feel like they are part of the group, and if Microsoft released an operating system tomorrow that required users to sacrifice chickens and other farm animals on a daily basis for it to function properly... well there would be a segment of the population that would jump on it, just to have the latest OS bragging rights.

Back to Vista, IT IS well known there is a "Vista-penalty", both when running various 3D benchmarks or just playing around with regular games. Not a specific amount of points mind you, but in 3DMark 2006 the penalty is up to 10%, in 3DMark 2003 it’s up to 15% or more, depending on the GPU of course, and in 3DMark 2001 it can be over 50%. Various OpenGL benchmarks are not exempt.

AddSub, did you take the time to test this yourself with the latest drivers? Or are you just going off what others have said? After all, on my machine, 3dMark03, 05 and 06 all run faster under Vista than XP. (Not by much but I have no performance loss whatsoever.)

Joe

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Ugh. Your question has been asked before, many times. Yes, I used ancient drivers, old drivers, new-ish drivers, latest drivers, I tried it all. Originally, I did the tests in August 07, then again early December 07, and most recently in early January this year. And yes, I used several machines with various hardware configurations and yes, I got relatively similar results out of all of em.

You know, apparently I need to post this on a weekly basis or something:

My previous posts relating to Vista & benchmarking:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=632616&highlight=78%#post632616

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=646317&highlight=vista+january#post646317

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
AddSub, did you take the time to test this yourself with the latest drivers? Or are you just going off what others have said? After all, on my machine, 3dMark03, 05 and 06 all run faster under Vista than XP. (Not by much but I have no performance loss whatsoever.)

Joe

as time passes vista will "appear" to get better relative to XP.. but this isnt because vista is better.. simply because XP drivers will get neglected and future optimizations will be purely for vista..

bloat never makes things perform better even thow microsoft would have us believe so..

The World did not need vista.. only Microsoft needed vista..

trog

ps.. that last line would make a good sig... he he he

as time passes vista will "appear" to get better relative to XP.. but this isnt because vista is better.. simply because XP drivers will get neglected and future optimizations will be purely for vista..

bloat never makes things perform better even thow microsoft would have us believe so..

The World did not need vista.. only Microsoft needed vista..

trog

ps.. that last line would make a good sig... he he he

Either that, or the XP optimizations have already been found and there is pretty much no more of them. In fact, I just picked up a copy of Vista HP for my HTPC and it runs quite well so far.

Joe

Ugh. Your question has been asked before, many times. Yes, I used ancient drivers, old drivers, new-ish drivers, latest drivers, I tried it all. Originally, I did the tests in August 07, then again early December 07, and most recently in early January this year. And yes, I used several machines with various hardware configurations and yes, I got relatively similar results out of all of em.

You know, apparently I need to post this on a weekly basis or something:

My previous posts relating to Vista & benchmarking:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=632616&highlight=78%#post632616

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=646317&highlight=vista+january#post646317

Sorry about that addsub, I have not seen it posted before.

Joe

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Well, most people still use XP. Yes, this program is for Vista, but everyone who uses a Microsoft O/S will be using Vista eventually. It's the way it is, it's not up to you, get over it. I will use XP as long as it's still supported. We should all thank Microsoft that they actually do still support thier old O/S. In order for things to progress we need to move on. Complaining how Vista sucks will do absolutely nothing. If you have gripes with a product, take it up with the manufacturer I say. They are in the business of selling products to customers, why would Microsoft want produce an O/S that people don't want? The easy answer is, they wouldn't. Besides Linux, and a few other off the wall O/S's, Microsoft is the only game in town. So, as a consumer you have a wonderful choice right now of choosing between two different mainstream O/S's from Microsoft. It takes time for an O/S to mature, just as it took XP time to mature. Besides, I don't hear from anyone using Windows 98 anymore and saying how bloated and slow XP is anymore. You don't know it now mabye, but someday Vista will be yours! It will all be okay people.:toast:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Well, most people still use XP. Yes, this program is for Vista, but everyone who uses a Microsoft O/S will be using Vista eventually. It's the way it is, it's not up to you, get over it. I will use XP as long as it's still supported. We should all thank Microsoft that they actually do still support thier old O/S. In order for things to progress we need to move on. Complaining how Vista sucks will do absolutely nothing. If you have gripes with a product, take it up with the manufacturer I say. They are in the business of selling products to customers, why would Microsoft want produce an O/S that people don't want? The easy answer is, they wouldn't. Besides Linux, and a few other off the wall O/S's, Microsoft is the only game in town. So, as a consumer you have a wonderful choice right now of choosing between two different mainstream O/S's from Microsoft. It takes time for an O/S to mature, just as it took XP time to mature. Besides, I don't hear from anyone using Windows 98 anymore and saying how bloated and slow XP is anymore. You don't know it now mabye, but someday Vista will be yours! It will all be okay people.:toast:

+1

And if MS does stay on track with their target release date for WIN 11 (2009+), we might even see 3 supported OSes at once, albeit for a very short while as XP is slowly phased out of support. Personally, I'm hoping that the successor to Vista will take care of some complaints many people have, and if so, then I'll skip Vista all together - but we'll see how things go, first. I haven't been impressed with it enough to make the switch yet.

But, if we're looking at 3DMark Vantage from the point of it being the 'defacto' standard for benchmarks once it's released, which it will as 3m06 will become last generation, the top score competitors will have no choice but to upgrade to Vista, as anything in 3m06 will not be considered officially 'best score' by the uber 1337.

Corrosion

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz @ 3.45
Motherboard ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe SLi
Cooling ZALMAN 9500A
Memory CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) @ 860
Video Card(s) ATi Asus 5770
Storage Seagate Barracuda ES 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s X2
Display(s) ViewSonic X Series VX2245wm Black-Silver 20" 5ms
Case APEVIA X-Navigator
Software Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate DVD
Tbh,i'm sick of all the posts saying vista is shit etc etc.

If you dont like vista,fair enuff.Just keep your traps shut about it,instead of injecting random vista is shit comments into threads that mention vista.

As for this,4k with a gtx.I dont think i'll bother trying it anyway.

I like vista i have 64, and 32. but i got new hardware and it wasnt running correwctly on it. so i went to 32 bit. and i went up 2k in 3dmark06 because of it

Xolair

Ouch... 4k for a 8800 GTX? Yeah, I'd score barely 2k with my system in Vista, if even that. :shadedshu

Graogrim

System Name Paradigm
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43
Cooling OEM
Memory 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2 GB
Storage 128 MB Corsair M4 SSD + 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Rosewill Challenger USB 3
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair GS 800
Software Windows 7 64 bit
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

ChillyMyst

fixed ur comments abit and i and most of my friends where on 2k when xp came out because 9x sucked ballz!!!!

ChillyMyst

Either that, or the XP optimizations have already been found and there is pretty much no more of them. In fact, I just picked up a copy of Vista HP for my HTPC and it runs quite well so far.

Joe

its not that they are os spicific optmizations, its that older os's tend to get ignored, so the drivers put out for them suffer from niglect, the game spicifics optimizations and such dont alwase translate over to older os's,this happend in the end to 98se, but by that time any true gamer(not cs kiddies) was on 2k or xp :)

ChillyMyst

Vista 32Bit perform about 400pt slower then XP 32Bit (well know fact) and XP 64Bit performs about 250pt slower then XP 32Bit..

strange, must be under intel cpu's as with my amd i see a BOOST in perf inder x64 pro

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
Tbh,i'm sick of all the posts saying vista is shit etc etc.

If you dont like vista,fair enuff.Just keep your traps shut about it,instead of injecting random vista is shit comments into threads that mention vista.

As for this,4k with a gtx.I dont think i'll bother trying it anyway.

Quoted for truth! Anywhere else (not in front of a computer monitor) when you don't like something, type of food, you don't eat it, you also don't tell people who do like that food that they shouldn't eat it because it tastes bad. You'd get severely laughed at if anyone tried that.

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
its not that they are os spicific optmizations, its that older os's tend to get ignored, so the drivers put out for them suffer from niglect, the game spicifics optimizations and such dont alwase translate over to older os's,this happend in the end to 98se, but by that time any true gamer(not cs kiddies) was on 2k or xp :)

At the end of the day, it's a business to microsoft, they produce we buy, if it was so bad, no one would buy or use it. Microsoft would have no option but to drop it and try something else. It's also how things work in my opinion. Technology moves, that's a good thing. Look at how bad crysis runs on the top end graphics cards, never mind gens old ones that don't utilise a unified shader architecture. Things change, changes have to be put in place for things to progress and work. What's the use trying to get old software to do new things when the likely hood is that it will be easier to start from scratch to make sure it does what is wanted of it. /rant over (if any of that even makes sense :D)