• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X-Fi Support Syndicate & Owner's Clubhouse

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Well my Xmod is not an X-Fi in games. In BF2 I can't use the X-Fi, but I can use hardware EAX on high. In King Kong the game will not let me use the EAX option. I don't know about openAL as of yet.

I'm guessing you're on Vista?

It might be possible you only have the onboard EAX2.0 capability + whatever the X-Mod can deliver with Crystallizer and positional audio.

Curious, does the OS recognize the X-Mod as an external audio card, though?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
X-Mod supports upto EAX 3.0 , it doesn't come with the X-Fi hardware audio renderer, its featuresets are comparable to the Xtreme Audio.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
I'm guessing you're on Vista?

It might be possible you only have the onboard EAX2.0 capability + whatever the X-Mod can deliver with Crystallizer and positional audio.

Curious, does the OS recognize the X-Mod as an external audio card, though?

XP Pro 32bit

Attachments

• xmod.JPG
    xmod.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 462
R

Russtavo

PowerDVD SPDIF Problem

I hope someone can save my sanity and help me with this problem! :banghead: I have my new HTPC connected to my amp with Coax S/PDIF. Applications such as Windows Media Player are sending the correct multi-channel streams as my amp displays "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" depending on the source. One major problem: PowerDVD outputs NO sound whatsoever when I change the audio settings to "S/PDIF". If I set it to anything else (e.g. "2 Speaker", "6 speaker") I just get stereo sound. My suspition is a compatibility issue between PowerDVD and my X-Fi Sound Blaster drivers. Here's my system spec:

PC: Dell Vostro 200 Slim
Graphics: ASUS Radeon HD 3450 (Catalyst 8.2)
Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (latest drivers)
Display: Sony Bravia KDL-32D3000
Amp: Denon AVR-3802
PowerDVD Ultra: 7.3.3730.0
LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray/HDDVD Combo Drive

I have disabled the onboard Relatek audio, and disabled the High-Def Audio on the graphics card.

I've done screengrabs of all relevant settings/info, they are here:

http://demon.xssl.net/~admin2/spdif/index.htm

I've e-mailed Cyberlink support but they are s-l-o-w, and not helpful. I want to play Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs, so I really need PowerDVD to work. Any help is really appreciated.

D

Deleted member 24505

sorry i cant help,but i will say,niiice amp.I have my x-fi connected to a sony 5.1 amp,by analouge cables coz i'm not even sure if the x-fi can output 5.1 through the optical digital out.Plus i play a lot of games and need the 5.1 sound.

I'm sure someone will be able to help tho'

R

Russtavo

Thanks, it does output 5.1 very nicely through it's coaxial out (the X-Fi Gamer is the one with optical Out). Only PowerDVD is spoiling my party :-(

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
I hope someone can save my sanity and help me with this problem! :banghead: I have my new HTPC connected to my amp with Coax S/PDIF. Applications such as Windows Media Player are sending the correct multi-channel streams as my amp displays "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" depending on the source. One major problem: PowerDVD outputs NO sound whatsoever when I change the audio settings to "S/PDIF". If I set it to anything else (e.g. "2 Speaker", "6 speaker") I just get stereo sound. My suspition is a compatibility issue between PowerDVD and my X-Fi Sound Blaster drivers. Here's my system spec:

PC: Dell Vostro 200 Slim
Graphics: ASUS Radeon HD 3450 (Catalyst 8.2)
Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (latest drivers)
Display: Sony Bravia KDL-32D3000
Amp: Denon AVR-3802
PowerDVD Ultra: 7.3.3730.0
LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray/HDDVD Combo Drive

I have disabled the onboard Relatek audio, and disabled the High-Def Audio on the graphics card.

I've done screengrabs of all relevant settings/info, they are here:

http://demon.xssl.net/~admin2/spdif/index.htm

I've e-mailed Cyberlink support but they are s-l-o-w, and not helpful. I want to play Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs, so I really need PowerDVD to work. Any help is really appreciated.

I'm not all that good with Dolby features of the cards (as I haven't had much use for the capabilities, yet), but I'll still give it a shot:

I'm kinda getting the feeling it's either a driver issue, or a codec issue . . .

have you checked Cyberlink's site for any updates, and are you using a full retail version?

TBH, I'd start with first removing all FFDSHOW and 3rd party codecs (except for those that came with media player and PowerDVD), and installing only the AC3 codecs from http://ac3filter.net/

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
One simple preliminary question: Where are you connecting the coaxial-SPDIF to? The connector on the motherboard?

R

Russtavo

have you checked Cyberlink's site for any updates, and are you using a full retail version?

TBH, I'd start with first removing all FFDSHOW and 3rd party codecs (except for those that came with media player and PowerDVD), and installing only the AC3 codecs from http://ac3filter.net/

Yes full retail version, latest build. Tried removing all codecs and just using AC3Filter. Problem is PowerDVD uses it's own codec reglardless (from what I can tell).

One simple preliminary question: Where are you connecting the coaxial-SPDIF to? The connector on the motherboard?

No, from my X-Fi Audio card to my amplifier. Onboard sound is disabled in the bios.

Heeeelp! :banghead:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
How are you taking the co-axial connection out? Digital IO module? External IO module? X-Fi Platinum drive?

2. In the Entertainment mode console, have you tried to set the Digital IO output sampling rate to 48 KHz from its default 96 KHz?

R

Russtavo

How are you taking the co-axial connection out? Digital IO module? External IO module? X-Fi Platinum drive?

Just a 75ohm Coax cable with a 3.5mm Mono Plug to Phono Socket Adaptor on the Sound Card end, it plugs straight into the Digital Out port on the X-Fi card. I just want to reiterate - this works! PowerDVD is the problem, it just won't pass through SPDIF like all other apps, there must be a registry entry or something I can change?

2. In the Entertainment mode console, have you tried to set the Digital IO output sampling rate to 48 KHz from its default 96 KHz?

Yes I have it at 48 KHz.

Last edited by a moderator:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Just a 75ohm Coax cable with a 3.5mm Mono Plug to Phono Socket Adaptor on the Sound Card end, it plugs straight into the Digital Out port on the X-Fi card. I just want to reiterate - this works! PowerDVD is the problem, it just won't pass through SPDIF like all other apps, there must be a registry entry or something I can change?

Yes I have it at 48 KHz.

Alright, then - have you installed the ALchemy drivers and OpenAL

From what all I've read of others having this issue with Vista (not just X-Fi owners, it seems), it's related to how the OS handles output, and because of how Media Player and MS apps are integrated with the OS, they're capable of playback, while 3rd party apps aren't.

I ran across a couple of pages that listed some registry fixes for these issues, but I'm having a hell of a time finding thos pages again. As soon as I run across them, I'll post the links for you to read and take a look at, too.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
R

Russtavo

Imperialreign thank you so much for the suggestions, I installed Alchemy and OpenAL as you suggested, but no difference I'm afraid. I think your on the right track about 3rd party apps. Could you please PLEASE try and find those registry settings? It's my last hope before I have to buy a different sound card :cry:

btarunr, as far as I know (unless someone can correct me), PowerDVD only uses it's own CODECs when playing discs, and they can't be changed.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm not sure what an OpenAL compatibility layer can do with erratic SPDIF pass. The X-Fi drivers come with the OpenAL ICD (installable client driver) and it isn't something you install on top of it. In case you have searched for, downloaded, and installed a generic OpenAL32.dll from Creative, I'm afraid it will be of an older, incompatible version and could affect performance with gaming. I don't link ALchemy to SPDIF's functionality.

For the sake of a test, you might want to try another application such as VLC, you can configure it.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
I'm still diggin for those pages . . . problem being, there's so many "copy-cat" forums now that list the same message you started in this thread, and so many board-reader pages . . . plus, I can't remember the exact keywords I punched into google :ohwell:

but, from what all I've read across quite a few different pages concerning Vista and 3rd party apps like PowerDVD, it stems from how Vista is set up in registry to capture audio through it's own codecs. When a 3rd party app attempts to capture and process audio, it has to rely on it's own software as Vista blocks the apps ability to fully interact with the hardware, and you end up with a downsampled audio stream. It appears X-Fi owners, C-Media owners, and onboard audio users have all complained about the same exact or similar issues as you're describing with PowerDVD - they either have no s/pdif output at all, or only 2 channel stereo; but playback through WIN Media Center or Media Player works perfectly fine. So, even buying another soundcard probably won't resolve the issue - in the meantime, though, for shits and giggles, if you have s/pdif output from the motherboard, you could try attempting to see if your onboard chipset can actually playback multi-channel in PowerDVD (if you're Realtek chipset is capable of 5.1, etc). If you have the same exact problem, I'd think it's fair and safe to bet we're looking at a definite issue with the OS, and not with your hardware.

Also, try another application as btarunr suggested, also - it could perhaps be just an issue with one specific 3rd part application, too.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking . . .

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Makes me feel special that other forum sites are ripping our intellect. Goes on to make us the originals. :)

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Makes me feel special that other forum sites are ripping our intellect. Goes on to make us the originals. :)

yeah, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery :laugh: - but it's a PITA when your trying to do some research, though :banghead:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
yeah, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery :laugh: - but it's a PITA when your trying to do some research, though :banghead:

I have a very numb 'back', tolerated so much pain already looking up whitepapers, talking to technical people, making people understand things in the simplest forms possible, writing pages of tech-blogs, drawing schematic diagrams,.....you can almost light a dynamite stick in my 'back', I wouldn't feel the pain :laugh:

:toast:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Just to let you guys know. Random replaced the power capacitors on my card and the sound is out of this world. so much better then it was before. Can turn up to about half way on my speakers and they are just... Speech less... If needed I'll get some pictures for you guys on both the front panel mod and capacitor mod...

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I was planning on doing a cap-mod for a long time myself. Can't find replacements for the X-Fi Prelude, they already look/sound great but my Xtreme Gamer is the lab-mouse for now. Let's see a close-up of the capacitors, they're compatible for all SB X-Fi cards.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
all right, later on tonight I'll take some pictures for yeah. I had the cap put on the other side of the card because of the fact that the psu is at the bottom of the cosmos and I have every slot but one used right now. lol.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
all right, later on tonight I'll take some pictures for yeah. I had the cap put on the other side of the card because of the fact that the psu is at the bottom of the cosmos and I have every slot but one used right now. lol.

This thread just broke 10,000 views!! w00t!! :rockout:

I've been conversing with trodas here and there, and he found that completely removing the audio filter caps, combined with replacing the OPAMPs yielded phenomenal results, as well as replacing the other caps as well.

Defi take some pics CS!

Russtavo said:
Imperialreign thank you so much for the suggestions, I installed Alchemy and OpenAL as you suggested, but no difference I'm afraid. I think your on the right track about 3rd party apps. Could you please PLEASE try and find those registry settings? It's my last hope before I have to buy a different sound card

Still looking . . . But, from what I understand and have dug up within the last couple of hours, though, it seems this decoder utility will allow you to change what Vista sees as the default decoder, by changing the same registry settings you'd have to change by hand: http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/downloads.php?do=file&id=119, it may or may not work, but might be worth a shot, probably a lot easier than having to change settings by hand - I'm still looking for thos pages I ran across the other night . . . once I find them I'll post those links, too.

~~~

In between stuff the last day or two, I did up some EAX sigs, just for the heck of it. What do y'all think:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Yeah, I'll take some pictures a little later. and I like the sigs..

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
In between stuff the last day or two, I did up some EAX sigs, just for the heck of it. What do y'all think:

Brilliant :rockout:

I'm going to use the Doom 3 sig. :D How about something on CMSS-3D ?