• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA trying to acquire Take-Two @ $26 per share! NOOOOOOOOOOooooo!

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Everyone would believe that, mainly because EA has an appearance of a growing monopoly. Monopolys scare people, and aren't good by anyone's standards.

ChillyMyst

EA sucks, they ruined UO(UltimaOnline) killed the sequil as well as some other kickass games that where in dev by OSI and lord british, Them and Vivindi need to DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
EA sucks, they ruined UO(UltimaOnline) killed the sequil as well as some other kickass games that where in dev by OSI and lord british, Them and Vivindi need to DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!

EA didn't ruin UO, time ruined UO. The game is aging and has shown it for a long time. It looked like an old Diablo 1 game. If anything, EA has helped keep UO where it is now. UO still has a healthy user base and the graphics engine was just updated due to EA.

DAoC has lost many supporters due to time. That's just the nature of MMOs. When Mythic (the maker of DAoC) and EA combined Mythic had tons of resources to make a new MMO. What MMO am I speaking of? Warhammer Online. That game was going nowhere before because the previous developer couldn't afford licenseing, marketing, developing, ect...When Mythic and EA bought the license for the game, it has become one of the most anticipated MMORPGs of the year. EA saved the title, which had TONS of fan backing.

Last edited:

tiys

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane
Motherboard ECS AMD690GM-M2
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Diamond Viper Radeon X1950pro 256MB
Storage WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA 3Gb/s
Display(s) Acer 17" LCD
Case Still an HP case...if you have one for free/cheap, PM me :)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550watt
Software Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Dudes, having EA take over Take 2 would be good for business. Especially with GTAIV coming out! Ya'know how much revenue they'll get?! :eek:

I'm supporting EA on this, because well, EA is one of my favorite game companies! :)

tiys

Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer 17" LCD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Everyone would believe that, mainly because EA has an appearance of a growing monopoly. Monopolys scare people, and aren't good by anyone's standards.

Like all of the Anti-Microsoft people... LOL :laugh:

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Like all of the Anti-Microsoft people... LOL :laugh:

Well kinda different lol, MS had more than an appearance in the 90s. :laugh: Anyway, back on topic.

Skrabrug

System Name DU45 MkII
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
Motherboard eVGA nForce 780i
Cooling Coolermaster Aquagate MAX, 2x 230mm fans, 1x 140mm fan
Memory Crucial Ballistix TRACER 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin 800 (PC2 6400) DDR2
Video Card(s) Galaxy GeForce 8800GT HDMI
Storage 750GB Seagate (SATA2), 400Gb Samsung (SATA2), 1 TB Seagate
Display(s) Acer 22" WS X223w & CMV CM-922D 19" LCD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Razer AC-1 Gaming Audio Card
Power Supply 750w Zalman
Software Microshaft Winblows XP - Pro (SP2)

Ppl tend to confuse growing monopoly's and productive development.

EA has a well known record for producing some good quality games (such as C&C Generals) and some not so good quality games. I Guess ppl are just worried EA might just want to run everything different than what take two normally does, although the last two take 2 games i bought turned out to Error magnets (GTA3 and Manhunt) Hopefully EA will at least change the quality control/tech support/howaboutagamepatchfix issues Take Two seems to have.

But none the less the thing i find fishy is how EA is offering this just before the new GTA release (rather than a few months ago or even a few months after the release).

tiys

Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2GB DDR2 800
Display(s) Acer 17" LCD
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Just thought I'd add some humor, as this is a little "hot"

ChillyMyst

EA didn't ruin UO, time ruined UO. The game is aging and has shown it for a long time. It looked like an old Diablo 1 game. If anything, EA has helped keep UO where it is now. UO still has a healthy user base and the graphics engine was just updated due to EA.

DAoC has lost many supporters due to time. That's just the nature of MMOs. When Mythic (the maker of DAoC) and EA combined Mythic had tons of resources to make a new MMO. What MMO am I speaking of? Warhammer Online. That game was going nowhere before because the previous developer couldn't afford licenseing, marketing, developing, ect...When Mythic and EA brought the license for the game, it has become one of the most anticipated MMORPGs of the year. EA saved the title, which had TONS of fan backing.

no EA killed it google UO2/ultima online2, they where in heavy dev, EA killed the project along with a few others OSI was working on, UO2 was to be the successor to normal UO they also had been working on a truely 3d version of the OLD uo, but again the project was cancled by EA who didnt feel it was worth spending any $ updating a game that was still making them $.

there are still hundreds of thousands of payed subscribers to UO, this isnt because its some gfx intence game, its because the game itself is VERY complex, no other mmo has even come close to matching it.

name another mmo where you can be a crafter/miner and never go out and kill monsters or have to fight other people?

or where u work ur skills up by USING THEM insted of skill points and buying skills!!!

blah, what i said is true check wikipedia and read about the guy who created UO, the man later dubed lord british, you will understand why people HATE EA.

they buy companys rush out 1/2 ass games based on the IP they bet from buying them, then update the games in very minor ways like updated team rosters in sports games, slap a new version name on it and sell it for full price........

again read the EA artical on wikipedia , it explains alot for those who dont really know about how ea acts.

think of EA as the ms of the gaming world.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Ppl tend to confuse growing monopoly's and productive development.

EA has a well known record for producing some good quality games (such as C&C Generals) and some not so good quality games. I Guess ppl are just worried EA might just want to run everything different than what take two normally does, although the last two take 2 games i bought turned out to Error magnets (GTA3 and Manhunt) Hopefully EA will at least change the quality control/tech support/howaboutagamepatchfix issues Take Two seems to have.

But none the less the thing i find fishy is how EA is offering this just before the new GTA release (rather than a few months ago or even a few months after the release).

Probably due to the fact that Take Two is on there hands and knees trying to get this expensive product out. A lot of the community is actually complaining about the graphics being dull, however, the gameplay will be good no doubt about that.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7

Skrabrug

System Name DU45 MkII
Power Supply 750w Zalman
Probably due to the fact that Take Two is on there hands and knees trying to get this expensive product out. A lot of the community is actually complaining about the graphics being dull, however, the gameplay will be good no doubt about that.

lol yeah I guess although I'm a little sore about it being console only.. guessing if EA took over Take Two it might appear on PC a couple of months down the track.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
lol yeah I guess although I'm a little sore about it being console only.. guessing if EA took over Take Two it might appear on PC a couple of months down the track.

I'm pretty disappointed too, because the PC helped make the franchise what it is today.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7

Skrabrug

System Name DU45 MkII
Power Supply 750w Zalman

Skrabrug

System Name DU45 MkII
Power Supply 750w Zalman
I'm pretty disappointed too, because the PC helped make the franchise what it is today.

It seemed like a bit of a kick in the crutch (for that reason) when i found out xD

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
It seemed like a bit of a kick in the crutch (for that reason) when i found out xD

Yeah, but Sony also helped make the franchise.

Skrabrug

System Name DU45 MkII
Power Supply 750w Zalman
Yeah, but Sony also helped make the franchise.

True, But in this case of the new GTA game on PC I guess they didn't wanna waste any money on the PC release while they have two other platforms to worry about on top of keeping their head above water.

So yeah probably refusing EA games offer was a little drastic.

ChillyMyst

some info on why EA sucks ass

Criticism

EA is often criticized for buying smaller development studios primarily for their intellectual property assets, and then making the developers produce mediocre games on these same franchises. For example, Origin-produced Ultima VIII: Pagan and Ultima IX: Ascension were developed quickly under EA's ownership, over the protests of Ultima creator Richard Garriott,[11] and these two are considered by many[12] as not up to the standard of the rest of the series.[13][14]

EA is also criticized for shutting down its acquired studios after a poorly performing game.[15] [16][17] The historical pattern of poor sales and ratings of the first game shipped after acquisition suggests EA's control and direction as being primarily responsible for the game's failure rather than the studio. Magic Carpet 2 was rushed to completion over the objections of designer Peter Molyneux and it shipped during the holiday season with several major bugs. Studios such as Origin, Westwood Studios, and Bullfrog had previously produced games attracting a significant fanbase, and when they were closed down many top designers and programmers refused to stay with EA and formed rival studios. Many fans also became annoyed that their favourite developers were closed down, but some developers, for example the EALA studio, have stated that they try to carry on the legacy of the old studio, in this case Westwood Studios. EA has also received harsh fire from labor groups for its dismissals of large groups of employees during the closure of a studio (see below). Such was the case with the game GoldenEye: Rogue Agent.[18]

After releasing many products, the lack of support is notable in many games, assured by the fact that EA declared openly that it would no longer support relatively new but still buggy titles, like Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Need for Speed: Underground and some of the latest Command & Conquer[19] games.

EA has also been criticized for other aggressive business methods like the acquisition of 19.9 percent of shares of its competitor Ubisoft in what was called a "hostile act" by Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot.[20] However, this has not materialized into anything hostile and Guillemot later indicated that a merger with EA was a possibility.[21]

[edit]
Employment policy

Electronic Arts has been criticized for employees working extraordinarily long hours—up to 100 hours per week— and not just at "crunch" times leading up to the scheduled releases of products. The publication of the EA Spouse blog, with criticisms such as "The current mandatory hours are 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.—seven days a week—with the occasional Saturday evening off for good behaviour (at 6:30 p.m.)".[22] The company has since settled a class action lawsuit brought by game artists to compensate for "unpaid overtime".[23] The class was awarded $15.6 million. As a result, many of the lower-level developers (artists, programmers, producers, and designers) are now working at an hourly rate. A similar suit brought by programmers was settled for $14.9 million.[24]

[edit]
Exclusive licenses

After Sega's ESPN NFL 2K5 successfully grabbed market share away from EA's dominant Madden NFL series during the 2004 holiday season, EA responded by making several large sports licensing deals which include an exclusive agreement with the NFL, and in January 2005, a 15-year deal with ESPN, much as with Take Two Interactive's exclusive licensing deal with baseball's Major League.[25] The ESPN deal gives EA exclusive first rights to all ESPN content for sports simulation games. On April 11, 2005, EA announced a similar, 6-year licensing deal with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) for exclusive rights to college football content.[26]

[edit]
Game quality

For 2006, the games review aggregation site Metacritic gives the average of EA games as 72.0 (out of 100); 2.5 points behind Nintendo (74.5) but ahead of the other first-party publishers Microsoft (71.6) and Sony (71.2). The closest third-party publisher is Take 2 (publishing as 2K Games and Rockstar) at 70.3. The remaining top 10[27] publishers (Sega, Konami, THQ, Ubisoft, Activision) all rate in the mid 60's.

However, EA's aggregate review performance has shown a downward trend in quality over recent years and is expected to affect market shares during competitive seasons. Pacific Crest Securities analyst Evan Wilson has said, "Poor reviews and quality are beginning to tarnish the EA brand. According to our ongoing survey of GameRankings.com aggregated review data, Electronic Arts' overall game quality continues to fall...Although market share has not declined dramatically to date, in years such as 2007, which promises to have tremendous competition, it seems likely if quality does not improve."[28][29]

EA has also received criticism for developing games that lack innovation vis-à-vis the number of gaming titles produced under the EA brand that show a history of yearly updates, particularly in their sporting franchises. These typically retail as new games at full market price and feature only updated team rosters in addition to incremental changes to game mechanics, the user interface, and graphics. One critique compared EA to companies like Ubisoft and concluded that EA's innovation in new and old IPs, "Crawls along at a snail's pace."[30], while even the company's own CEO, John Riccitiello, acknowledged the lack of innovation seen in the industry generally, saying, "We're boring people to death and making games that are harder and harder to play. For the most part, the industry has been rinse-and-repeat. There's been lots of product that looked like last year's product, that looked a lot like the year before."[31].

[edit]
Editing of Wikipedia

On August 15, 2007 it was revealed that IP addresses registered to EA had made changes to its Wikipedia entry favoring EA.[32][33] The changes made included downplaying the importance of the founder of EA, Trip Hawkins, as well as playing up the importance of former CEO, Larry Probst.[32] Other changes included attempts to remove information regarding the infamous EA Spouse scandal, which involved the poor treatment of workers. In addition, several paragraphs under criticism were removed completely. [32]

EA's response was that "Many companies routinely post updates on websites like Wikipedia to ensure accuracy of their own corporate information."[34] It did not, however, address the specifics of the changes.

Sorce

oh and MOAR!!!!

uo2 killed because EA was ftarded

Ultima Worlds Online: Origin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Ultima Online 2)

Ultima Worlds Online: Origin (UWO:O) — originally titled Ultima Online 2 (UO2) — was to be the first sequel to the popular 1997 massively multiplayer online role-playing game Ultima Online. Origin Systems revealed that they were developing UO2 in September 1999 for release within a year or two, but development was cancelled in March 2001.

UO2 was to be set in Sosaria but in an alternate timeline where a cataclysm has collided the past, present and future of Sosaria into a single world, thus bringing Industrial Revolution and steampunk elements to the medieval fantasy world. Players would be able to choose from three playable races:
Juka - warriors from the Logos, the land of technology governed by Blackthorn
Meer - magically adept beings from ancient Sosaria
Humans - from Britannia

A group of players fighting a lich in UO2.

UO2, billed as a "2nd generation MMORPG", was to improve upon Ultima Online and previous MMORPGs. The most noticeable advancement was the competitive 3D engine that replaced UO's aging isometric view. The design also changed several aspects that players voiced dislike for in the original UO. In UO2, player vs. player combat was to be disabled by default (except in special areas, such as arenas). The game also would have emphasized grouping, including groups of 20-30 players, and reduced the ability of single players to become all-around grand-masters (i.e., prevent the notorious "tank-mage" characters that appeared in UO).

In March 2001, Electronic Arts (parent company of Origin) announced that development on Ultima Worlds Online: Origin would cease in order to provide additional support for Ultima Online. Shortly after, EA announced it had laid off 200 employees including some at Origin Systems. EA feared that UO2 would compete for subscribers with UO, which was still profitable and not showing signs of slowing down. About one-third of the team that worked on UO2 joined Destination Games to work on Richard Garriott's MMORPG, Tabula Rasa.

Just a few years later, history repeated itself when EA cancelled Ultima X: Odyssey in 2004.

sorce

and moar

Expansions, sequels and other releases

Throughout Ultima Online's long history, there have been many releases of the game, both on store shelves and online. Several sequels were in development but canceled, and expansions have been released regularly.

[edit]
Sequels

Two sequels were planned by Electronic Arts, but both were canceled during development so that more focus could be spent on the original game.
Ultima Online 2 (UO2), later renamed Ultima Worlds Online: Origin (UWO:O) was announced in 1999. It was to add steampunk elements to the fantasy setting, set in a world where the past, present and future of Sosaria were merged together by a mistake made by Lord British while attempting to merge together the shards of the Gem of Immortality. Todd McFarlane was hired to design original monsters and regions for the game, as well as help shape the story. It was cancelled in 2001 before its release, citing the competitive nature of the massively multiplayer online gaming market — Electronic Arts feared the sequel would harm Ultima Online's subscription numbers. Some of the monsters and art made for the game were later used in the Ultima Online expansion Lord Blackthorn's Revenge.
Ultima X: Odyssey was a new MMORPG to be set in a world named Alucinor, created by the Avatar after the events of Ultima IX: Ascension. It was cancelled in 2004 when Electronic Arts closed Origin. The UXO team was invited to move to the Bay area to finish the game. However, only a small number of people on the UXO team accepted the transfer. In the end, UXO was cancelled because the development team dissolved.

sorce

just a few examples, there are tons more, theres a reasion people say NOOOOOO!!!! when ea trys/buys another company, they suck, they just suck....

Processor c2d e8400@ 3.8ghz 24/7
Motherboard Abit IP-35e 80$ lol
Cooling zalman cnps9700 led
Memory 2 x 2 gig patriot viper
Video Card(s) evga Gtx 285 oc
Storage 2 x 300gig sata seagate 7200.10 in raid 0/ 1.5TB for backup
Display(s) acer 24" TFT LCD AL2416WBSD
Case Antec 902
Audio Device(s) XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro series
Power Supply ocz gamextreme 700w
Software windows 7 ultimate
EA ruins about every franchise they own or buy out for lack of support ...... except for madden lol

Skrabrug

System Name DU45 MkII
Power Supply 750w Zalman
@ ChillyMyst: so your soul reason to hate an entire game company is because of a game made over a decade ago actually dieing?

Dude... if thats the case should I hate Activision for allowing the Heavy Gear series to die out?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
The truth of the matter is simple, EA doesn't have a good reputation of allowing devys to produce quality games. The latest to the list was BF2 which had a huge following. People are already down playing Battlefield Heroes. Which IMO may of had something to do with the out cry of adding ads in BF2142 and rumored BF2 in an update. Back then many stated that they were only playing BF2142 with ads if it was free (which is were I believe Battlefield Heroes may have come from). In any case BF2142 didn't sell well. Also, patch 1.41 was released on 09/05/2006. Dice was aquired by EA on October 2, 2006. There hasn't been a new patch since Dice was acquired by EA.

So this as well as other titles leave a bad taste in many people's mouths and with just cause. People like Ravenas want you to turn a blind eye to past events posting information for the most part isn't true (like take 2 going bankrupt or GTA IV won't sell well without EA). When in fact the opposite can/probably will happen.

Sure because it would be better for Take 2 to die off and go bankrupt in a market that publishers mean everything now. GTA IV stands to make more money if it had the financial resources of EA. Or maybe you like it more if its studios were sold off to separate companies and go no where after that.

Why do you think that rumor about Rockstar going exclusive came about?

You have a hard time actually making a point, instead you just throw out things trying to downplay the other person.
There is no information that suggests that Take 2 is dying off and going bankrupt.
Take 2 can do well on it's own distributing GTA IV without EA. For instance Steam...
GTA IV does not stand to make more money from EA. It's the popularity of the game that will sell it, not EA. Your last statement made no sense.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
EA ruins about every franchise they own or buy out for lack of support ...... except for madden lol

Command & Conquer 3, Crysis, Def Jam: Icon, The Godfather Wii, Medal of Honor: Airborne, NFS: Pro Street, Rock Band, The Simpsons Game, skate, The Orange Box.

I think the number of gamers who enjoyed these games in 2007 vastly outnumber those who didn't.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
There is no information that suggests that Take 2 is dying off and go bankrupt.
Take 2 can do well on it's own distributing GTA IV without EA. For instance Steam...
GTA IV does not stand to make more money from EA. It's the popularity of the game that will sell it, not EA. Your last statement made no sense.

You obviously missed the entire reason as to way EA proposed this offer that was declined! Take 2 is in financial trouble bro. Why? Simply because of the MLB license they bought! They have no way to escape that. They put too much money into something they couldn't afford! This is the exact same reason they lost the NCAA titles and the College Hoops title.

Obviously they would rather sell off rather then go completely bankrupt. The possibility is still there, no matter how much you wish to disbelieve it.

EA would absorb all of 2Ks licenses in the sports division, which means they could continue to develop sports across the board. EA would benefit from this money coming from every line of sport as well.