• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Whats up with my 3dmark score?

varialkickflip

Processor AMD Phenom 9600 @ 2.625Ghz
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum
Cooling 3 120s 2 80s
Memory 2x2 GB Geil EVO ONE 1000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 3870X2
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor
Display(s) ViewSonic 19" Widescreen 2ms
Case Thermaltake Armor
Audio Device(s) Onboard RealTek AC97
Power Supply 800 Watt Tagan BZ Series
Software Vista Home Premium 64 SP1
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 - 13789
Kei,

thanks so much, excellent instructions, i got my ram to dual channel with ease but my 3dmark score remains the same (got that hotfix too AsRock, ty). not sure how much the dual channel would really effect 3dmark though. i actually only have 2 sticks, so i just put them both in the slots closest to the processor. as far as timings go, my ram is advertised as 4-4-4-12 but cpuid labels them as 5-5-5-15. i think i know how to change it, but will it help much? i appreciate all the help youve given Kei, your a comp lifesaver broseph.

-----------
to crackerjack: no im using xp pro

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
I do think I recall you're using 4Gigs of ram correct? If that's so then you are using 2Gig sticks for your ram which I do believe to be slower than actually using four 1Gig sticks of ram (it does make a difference). Also since XP and Vista 32-Bit both don't support more than 3.x Gigs of ram then you have too much in your system.

Also I've been hearing lately that it is actually BAD to install more than 2Gigs in a system that is running SLI/Crossfire. I'm not sure exactly the reasons yet as it may be something as simple as driver issues with more than 2Gigs. If you have the extra ram lying around (or some extra loot) it might not be a bad idea to get a matched set of 1Gig sticks to try out.

3dmark doesn't really tell you the whole story about your PC. This is ESPECIALLY with ram...if you were to run a 3dmark test with 1Gig of 1066 ram in your system you'd score better than if you had 2Gigs of 800 ram because 1066 is way faster than 800 speed. Obviously in the real world we live in that 2Gig system would beat that 1Gig to kingdom come because games don't load entirely into ram (unless you're playing a really really really really old game that's like 0Gigs) but 3dmark does.

Don't take the results you get from those programs very seriously as they mean nothing in the real world.

Did you verify that your ram speed in CPUZ is actually stated as 400Mhz (which is 800Mhz since you're using DDR2 aka whatever number you get is double)? Yes those timings would help you but probably not to a level you'd actually notice in actual use but they'd look cool. You can set them if you'd like as long as you know the voltage they're suppose to be run at.

Go to your manufacturer site and find out the optimal voltage (very important) for the listed timings before you set the timings. You don't wanna set it too low as it may run but you'll get random crashes, or it may not run at all. You also DEFINATELY don't want to set it too high as you'll just burn it up well before it's lifespan is over.

I imagine the voltage is around 2.1 or so maybe less, maybe more. If it's anything ridiculous like 2.3-2.5 then I wouldn't bother with that unless you have some heatsinks ON the ram and/or a fan that blows directly on them as that'd get too hot for daily use. You'd be better then setting the speed a little lower and letting that be that.

You can also modify your ram speed by the Bus/FSB frequency but that's also overclocking your processor and best left alone until you've done enough research to understand that. That or of course you have enough money to buy new components lying around. It's not the most dangerous thing in the world but I never recommend someone who's not familiar with it to just try it as it can bring heartache and takes lots of patience ESPECIALLY with the Phenom which is very old school.

I like that the processor isn't one of the oh so common processors that everyone overclocks as though it's some god given right that MUST be put on every single processor. I remember the days where you were $hit happy just to get a couple hundred Mhz (as in 200) over stock speed. Nowadays it seems like if your processor can't overclock an extra 2Ghz then it must be trash? That's like saying the new car you bought is junk cuz you can't easily get 400hp from it...if they wanted it to run like that they would've done that in the first place. Overclocking/uprating is a gift...not a requirement.

That said the Phenom does overclock well as long as you actually know what you're doing and you put in the effort to get what the chip has and not what you think it should have.

/rant :D

K

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
i appreciate all the help youve given Kei, your a comp lifesaver broseph.

Btw, you're more than welcome I love helping people like this. Now stop worrying about your 3dmark score already and don't forget you bought this stuff to play games...you should do that.:D

Oh yea...my younger sister calls me broseph you made me laugh, thanks. :)

I'm off to play some Call of Duty 4...I really can't believe how well the Phenom runs things like that. I can play that game on full detail at 1360*768 (native resolution of my 32" LCD) at a nearly perfect 60fps. Unreal 3 plays like a dream!!! Ghost Recon 2...beast, the only thing I've found this doesn't slaughter is Crysis but then again I haven't played it on good drivers yet. I'll download it again tonight and check that out with these drivers. I played it when I first put everything together to fine tune things and check the difference between my AMD X2 4800+ (overclocked to 2.975Ghz) which ran the game on Medium at 50-60fps with the occasional and I mean RARE 45-48fps. The high was between 70-80fps with V-sync off but of course playing with V-sync and triple buffering is better (smoother). The phenom only rocked out at about 30fps but that was with bad drivers (the 4800+ did the samething when I got the drivers) so I'll find out what's different tonight.

K

What do you play?

Kei,

thanks so much, excellent instructions, i got my ram to dual channel with ease but my 3dmark score remains the same (got that hotfix too AsRock, ty). not sure how much the dual channel would really effect 3dmark though. i actually only have 2 sticks, so i just put them both in the slots closest to the processor. as far as timings go, my ram is advertised as 4-4-4-12 but cpuid labels them as 5-5-5-15. i think i know how to change it, but will it help much? i appreciate all the help youve given Kei, your a comp lifesaver broseph.

-----------
to crackerjack: no im using xp pro

why not have 64-bit and use the full 4gb or more!

System Name V I K I N G
Processor Intel Core i5 11400F
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Z590 PRO AX
Cooling Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT + Corsair Commander PRO + Corsair QL 120 x 3 + Node Pro
Memory 16 GB / Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL @ 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS ELITE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 500GB WesternDigital BLACK PCI Gen 4 M.2 NVMe
Display(s) AOC 27" 144Hz Monitor AGON G2 series
Case Corsair iCUE 4000D
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Delta S Quad DAC Hi-Res Audio + Samsung 300W modded Home teather speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake Thoughpower Grand 750W RGB 80 Plus GOLD
Mouse Corsair SABRE RGP PRO Champion series
Keyboard Corsair K70 TKL Champion series
Software Windows 11 PRO X64

system:

Phenom 9600 2.3GHZ
4GB Geil EVO ONE 800MHz
Radeon 3870 X2
800 Watt PSU
MSI K9A2 Platinum Motherboard
150GB WD Raptor
Windows XP Pro (<--the problem?)

got all the drivers. not sure whats wrong, like if my vid card is only using one GPU (though it says crossfire is enabled, like it should be) or if its xp holding my system back. i heard somewhere that your cpu determines a lot about how your score turns out. any feedback would be appreciated, built this system and having it not work like i planned is frustrating :banghead:

downlad the latest 3dmark06 fix and install it
maybe solves your problem

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
He already posted that he's done the hotfix about in his last post. As for the 64-Bit Windows I think that once those get some more support/compatability most of us with Phenoms will end up switching over due to the performance increase we would see. But if you use a Phenom in even 32-Bit windows you wouldn't believe what it could do...this thing is fantastic even at stock clock speed. It completely murders my X2 4800+ overclocked to 2.975Ghz (stable for 10hrs but it'll clock higher just don't want to use more voltage) in everything.

K

System Name V I K I N G
Processor Intel Core i5 11400F
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Z590 PRO AX
Cooling Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT + Corsair Commander PRO + Corsair QL 120 x 3 + Node Pro
Memory 16 GB / Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL @ 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS ELITE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 500GB WesternDigital BLACK PCI Gen 4 M.2 NVMe
Display(s) AOC 27" 144Hz Monitor AGON G2 series
Case Corsair iCUE 4000D
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Delta S Quad DAC Hi-Res Audio + Samsung 300W modded Home teather speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake Thoughpower Grand 750W RGB 80 Plus GOLD
Mouse Corsair SABRE RGP PRO Champion series
Keyboard Corsair K70 TKL Champion series
Software Windows 11 PRO X64
He already posted that he's done the hotfix about in his last post. As for the 64-Bit Windows I think that once those get some more support/compatability most of us with Phenoms will end up switching over due to the performance increase we would see. But if you use a Phenom in even 32-Bit windows you wouldn't believe what it could do...this thing is fantastic even at stock clock speed. It completely murders my X2 4800+ overclocked to 2.975Ghz (stable for 10hrs but it'll clock higher just don't want to use more voltage) in everything.

K

OK, SORRY, I MISS THE FIX ANSWER UPTHERE, AND YOU`RE RIGHT ABOUT THIS.
:p

varialkickflip

Processor AMD Phenom 9600 @ 2.625Ghz
Motherboard MSI K9A2 Platinum
Cooling 3 120s 2 80s
Memory 2x2 GB Geil EVO ONE 1000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 3870X2
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor
Display(s) ViewSonic 19" Widescreen 2ms
Case Thermaltake Armor
Audio Device(s) Onboard RealTek AC97
Power Supply 800 Watt Tagan BZ Series
Software Vista Home Premium 64 SP1
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 - 13789
gotcha, i probably wont mess with my ram timings then. but they DO have heatsinks on them and a tube filled with water ;) http://www.geilusa.com/news/show/id/18 , check em out, theyre crazy looking hehe.

yeah i used to be alright (like 5+ years ago) at computer stuff and still remembered enough to build my own, but im still of the mindset that overclocking is pretty dangerous and can blow crap up. id like to avoid that. im still tempted to change the ram timings....just because theyre advertised as 4-4-4-12 but i dont know...

i play CoD 4, i suck but dang its fun, WoW cause one of my buds plays it, and ive played around with The Witcher when the internets being lame. i had issues with cod 4 crashing but it seems to have gone away after i messed with the graphics settings. cod 4 and the witcher look amazing. crap i gotta get to work, be safe dude!

jkatt12

System Name PreenGoop
Processor amd phenom II 955 x4
Motherboard asus m3n-ht deluxe
Cooling CoolIT Freezone cpu cooler
Memory corsair dominator xms ddr2 1066 8gb
Video Card(s) xfx gtx 280 xxx edition
Storage 2x - sata/300 320gb and 750gb
Display(s) samsung 204b 21" lcd
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply pc power & cooling silencer 750 quad (crossfire edition)
Software windows vista x64 ultimate sp1
tlb patch disabled, performance increases!

amd phenom quad 9500 2.2ghz
xfx geforce 8800 ultra xxx edition 675mhz core
g.skill 8gb ddr2 800 pc2 6400
asus m2n32-sli deluxe
windows vista ultimate 64 bit
okia 650 watt extra quiet sli ready
latest nvidia drivers 169.25 64 bit installed
(all air cooled)

big performance increase! THANKS KEI!!!
3dmark06 score at defaults - 10,830 (jumped from 8,600 w/out disabling tlb) and stable!
3dmark06 score OC @ 2.4ghz cpu, geforce 8800 ultra @ 683 core/1142 memory - 11,626

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
amd phenom quad 9500 2.2ghz
xfx geforce 8800 ultra xxx edition 675mhz core
g.skill 8gb ddr2 800 pc2 6400
asus m2n32-sli deluxe
windows vista ultimate 64 bit
okia 650 watt extra quiet sli ready
latest nvidia drivers 169.25 64 bit installed
(all air cooled)

big performance increase! THANKS KEI!!!
3dmark06 score at defaults - 10,830 (jumped from 8,600 w/out disabling tlb) and stable!
3dmark06 score OC @ 2.4ghz cpu, geforce 8800 ultra @ 683 core/1142 memory - 11,626

My pleasure :)

Your score is just a tick higher than mine is right now at 11,587 marks. I'm running the same processor speed as you are, but using an 8800 GT OC (that's oc'd again). I'm also using different drivers as well and on a 32-Bit Vista Ultimate setup wih a 790X chipset.

Better yet...

Phenom 9500 @ 2.409Ghz (stock cooler w/artic silver ceramique)
MSI K9A2 CF-F 790X motherboard
DDR2 667 RAM @ 365Mhz 5-5-5-15 timings 2.0v
BFG 8800GT OC (oc'd) 750/1800/1040
Cooler Master 650 watt psu
nVidia 171.16 beta drivers
Western Digital 160Gig 16MB cache HD (single)
Vista Ultimate 32-Bit

I still haven't decided which motherboard I will go with in the end just yet which is why I'm using the MSI CF board. I wanted to try out the 790X chipset but didn't want to get a board that I may not be happy with so I went with the 'cheaper' (price wise) board @ $99 when I bought it. I'm DEFINATELY sticking with the 790 chipset and now I'm just trying to see which 790FX board I want to go with. Right now it's a close fight between the Asus M3A and DFI DK 790FX boards. I have no plans on using more than 2 graphics cards so that's really not a selling point for me. I'm also not worried about cost either so that doesn't really come into play. I'll end up with DDR2 800 ram in the box though as I don't think I'll be able to utilize 1066 ram really with the clocking that i'll be doing. Overclocking the 800 will be a better bet for me I think. I've already overclocked my 667 RAM up to 436Mhz (up from stock 333Mhz and the 365Mhz that I run daily) and it's passed memtest for hours on end. I'm very surprised it'll run that well at such a high clock (872Mhz-667=205Mhz which is a nice jump) and using only 2.0v. When clocked at that speed my processor would be running at 2.398Ghz which is a very small drop for such a large jump in ram speed (down 11Mhz cpu but up 71Mhz ram speed). The HT speed is only changed down by 8Mhz as well (1752-1744Mhz with 8x HT multi) so overall it's a good gain indeed. I have not been able to get it to run at the 219 Bus speed with the ram on a 2x multi and I won't add any voltage because it's just not worth the risk for such a small gain in speed and almost no noticable performance increase.

I've run the processor up to 2.45Ghz stable (223Mhz Bus speed) but until I get some 800 speed ram in here I won't see the full benefit. I did run the processor up to 2.5Ghz but without changing the voltage it wasn't stable enough for me. Once I change boards I will try again and I'm sure it'll easily achieve that speed. I will not risk very bad things happening on this board by upping the voltage on a board with so much passive cooling. I've already taken off the North and Southbridge heatsinks and added ceramique to them and they run soooo much cooler now which is nice. Until I change boards though I will leave performance as is (crazy fast). It kills any game I throw at it as well as any other programs. The only thing that hasn't run like butter (aka ~60fps @ 1360*768 with all the bells and whistles and AA+AF) is of course Crysis which doesn't seem to utilize the Phenom as well as the other games. All of the other games I've played run soooooo much better on the Phenom than my 2.975Ghz X2 4800+ it's crazy...except Crysis which I suppose needs a very nigh cpu speed to run properly. I haven't played the full game with the patch but I'm not really worried as that's not a big game for me though it is kinda fun.

I will be changing graphics cards though out to something from ATI (going back home finally) whether it be a 3870x2 (the woman says that's a NO now), or HD3870 in CF to save a few bucks. In then end with my Phenom I'm looking for 2.5-2.6Ghz speed as my goal set from day one when I clicked the order button. That's easily reasonable and will take care of whatever I need speed wise. Maybe in the future I'll pick up another Phenom once the B3's really start coming in but not unless they're significatly different to me.

K