• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My quiet cosmos

System Name My quiet Cosmos
Processor AMD64X2 6000+ @3.0 Ghtz
Motherboard ASUS M2N32-SLI Delux
Cooling Custom Watercooling setup
Memory 4*1gb OCZ Platinum
Video Card(s) 2 * XFX 8800GTX
Storage 2*Western Digital 250GB sataII, Hitachi Deskstar 250Gb sataII, Maxtor 160GB ata
Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Case CoolerMaster Cosmos RC1000
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS platinum
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 750 Power Supply + OCZ 520w modstream
Software XP pro SP3
First work log so please be gentle.

My PC is in my living room and basically it is still too noisy. Fan controller burnt out a couple of weeks ago which resulted in spending some money to replace the fan controller and whilst not strictly necessary I decided to get myself a new case. The Cooler Master Cosmos RC1000

also Got myself a 8800 GTX, HR-05 Plus and another 2GB OCZ RAM.:)
Gotta love the credit card.
I can't really justify spending too much more on hardware so will be sticking with what i've got
OCZ 700W GameXtreme PSU, ASUS M2N32SLi Deluxe MB, 4GB OCZ RAM, AMD64 X2 6000 with Zalman 9700 heatsink, XFX8800 GTX with ThermalRight HR-05 Cooler with 120mm noctua fan(55 degree under load-nice), Audigy 2 Platunim, TV card, 2x250Gb WesternDigital SATAII HDD, 250Gb Hitachi HDD SATA, 160Gb Maxtor SATA & 160Gb Maxtor IDE HDD

So, after spending 24 hours stripping and rebuilding the computer into the cosmos and a nice job on the cable management it was looking good and a fair bit quieter. But still too noisy.....SO.
This is where I am at the moment

prior to stripping the case I had to cut down the mounting plate on the graphic card so that it only used one expansion slot on the case.
My workshop facilities are rather limited so tried at first using an angle grinder.
The metal grinding disk shattered ! Talk about a lucky escape and adrenalin rush.
Second attempt, screwed the plate through the DVI mounting holes to some wood and used the jig saw.
Unfortunately when the card is fitted the dvi connector was touching the case metal of the expansion slot so ended up having to (fake) dremmel the case so the the dvi connector didn't touch the case

Next up i've swapped out the main cause of the noise, the PSU fan, replacing it with A Sharkoon Silent eagle 120mm

I don't know if this will be upto the job of cooling the PSU adequately. It's working at the moment and is much quieter than the OCZ fan but am not sure if it has enough throughput. Might have to swap it out for one of the coolermaster fans - which are surprisingly quiet. Your thoughts anyone?

So the basic plan is to basically quieten the case and to give it a minor facelift. I've masked and primed the plastic panels and next up i'll prime and paint the case and panels.

If you've got this far then I thank you.
I know I have enjoyed watching your worklogs and how you've modded your rigs so I thought I share my trials, tribulations and successes.
And once its built I'll head on over to the overclocking forum to find out how to tweak my ram and discover whats holding back my system (only getting 10552 in 3d06:( or am I being unrealistic expecting more)

Wish me luck

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
First work log so please be gentle.

so far so good. just keep the pics comming and we'll be happy. this looks like it's gonna be pretty good.

good luck.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Amazing man, amazing, Cant wait to see more.

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
One thing I will say about replacing the PSU fan is you are recommended to use a fan with the same amperage requirement. As far as if it will be adequate, once you get it up and running, stress the system in every way you can (to make the PSU give it a lot of juice), and feel the air coming out of the PSU. If it's moving a tiny bit of really hot air, that's bad. If it's moving a lot of air, or the air is fairly cool, you should be fine.

Are you looking for ideas to make your case quieter? If so, all those hard drives have got to be a bit noisy...

Storage 2*Western Digital 250GB sataII, Hitachi Deskstar 250Gb sataII, Maxtor 160GB ata
Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
OK, Day 2
Welcome to Maju's Make Do Mod and Paint Shop. It's rather cramped but it'll do.

First up priming the panels

next up is the case, all sanded ready to prime

primed.

Unfortunately made a slight miscalculation and have run out of primer so can't do the back of it yet - and a bit of a sod as it's easter monday tomorrow and shops are shut. Oh well, at least it'll give it a bit more time to cure.

Have sanded the primed side trims and got the backside of the case ready for painting

I suppose I could've gone onto painting the trims but I think as the trims are going to be visually prominent i'm going to give it a second coat of primer and sand again before painting. Or am I going over the top and just leave it at one primer coat ?

So after priming and sanding the front door of the case the first application of the colour.
Heres the inside face of the front door and the FDD mounts.

Only the first coat but even so I'm rather pleased with the result. After seeing the colour outside of the tin I am really pleased. If I don't screw up the painting this case should look pretty good I reckon.
I plan on three coats of purple pearl paint followed by several clear laqueur, although going on how much this is turning out I may have to reduce the number of coats. Time will tell.

with reference to the psu fan, do you know why the replacement should be of the same ampage? I know the Sharkoon is a lot lower ampage than the OCZ one (0,45A) but all of the 120mm fans i've got range from .09 to .25A and they aren't as quiet.
Seems to be working fine though, very slightly warm air coming out the back under gentle use and only slightly warmer under load.
Might well swap it out for a Noctua P12 which pushes a lot more air and is only marginally louder.

Time to stop for the night and start modding some fans for the case.

Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory G Skil Trident Z DDR4 4266
Video Card(s) RTX 3090Ti
Storage WD Black 500gb nvme, Sabrent 2tb nvme
Display(s) Viotek GNV34DBE2, Viotek SUW49DA
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G3 750w
Mouse Glorious Model O
Keyboard KBDFans Odin V2
Software W10 x64
lookin good man. keep the pics comin

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit
Like the color choice. Should turn out great. Keep the pics coming.

-Hogan

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Cool now just more pics. I was going change the fan in my coolmax but found it's still under warranty lol. But i was going mount the fan on the outside of the PSU case so there be much better airflow + a better fan in there with a 120x38mm.

Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
Well, slowly but surely seems to be the order of the day.

@AsRock,
Didn't even worry about the psu warranty, although there was a kind of sick/exillerating feeling scrapping off the Void if removed sticker-not half as strong as dismantling the 8800GTX though:). Sure if it goes wrong then i'm out of pocket but i'd rather that than listen to the loud(ish) psu fan growing progressively louder. As it is i'm pleased with the fan swap as even with the psu out of the case you can barely hear the fan.
Have also ripped out of an old case that I found on the street a HDD Led which I may wire up to the fan and mount on the top panel to show that the fan is working - or I might just stick a temperature probe in the PSU so that I get a siren if the temp gets above 90.
Yet to decide/opinions anyone?

Which leads me on to the next minor mod, the HSF fan. I've got a Zalman 9500 installed but the fan on it is rather noisy, even with the voltage dropped to 7V. So removed the fan and dug out the 92mm that was cooling my old gfx card, a Noiseblocker - still not the quietest 92mm i'm sure but noticibly less then the zalman, not as much throughput but I think it'll be ok

After a nit of sawing and sanding and drilling this is what I now have

Coretemp shows that at present the (AMD64 6000X2) cores are running at 26/22. Ok I guess. With the zalman they were running at about 19-23 degrees.

Bit of a shock on removing the fan - I hang my head in shame. Hopefully wont be so bad in future as the cosmos has filters on the air intakes

Then a bit of wire cutting, soldering and sheathing and here it is installed (in Tempery setup - this is NOT how I do cable management)

Have also given the trim panels a second coat of primer and am letting them cure for 24hrs before sanding and painting

Also had to sand out some dust specks on the front panel door and give it a third coat of paint - it's looking good so far.

Can't wait to get the clear coats on and take the masking off.

Also managed to find some more primer so got busy on the chassis

It;s looking pretty purple inside. Not 100% sure that i'm happy with the colour. Shall wait and see how it looks when it's dried.
Also primed and painted the expansion slot blanks to match in when installed.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
LOL, a bad fan controller and you go nutts getting a case and a bunch of hardware (sounds familiar)
I think your purple is to "Pastel" for me. A reg purple may match better with the blue. I have a couple of purple paints here that I keep saying I will use sometime.
Its always interesting to watch new color schemes/ideas, Good job so far.

Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
Back again
@MK
Yeah, did go a bit nuts but what the heck. Unfortunately the colour reproduction in the photo's doesn't really show the true colours. The purple is a metallic paint and is a lot darker when it isn't being lit with the flash. Likewise the 'blue' inside the case is in fact a darkish purple.
Looks good now though.

So onto the latest update.

Painted door finished

And now for me the exciting part. putting it all together and seeing the result for the first time

Case View 2

Haven't bothered cleaning the fingerprints off yet as still have work to do inside the case and a fare bit more stuff to do to the panels. Suffice to say they won't be staying all silver for too much longer. Just wanted to see how it looked.

Case from front

Case - door open

Case - panel open

Case - panel open back

From Rear - panel off

From Rear - Panel On

The post man also delivered some odds and sods that I was waiting for. After looking through various fan specifications I came accross this SilenX IXTREMA 120mm fan. 90cfm @18db. Unfortunately when I ordered didn't realize that it was a 38mm deep fan. Will still fit though. However it is a LOT louder than 18db. I might try it rigged up to the fan controller but I don't think it's going to make the grade. It did cool the graphics card well though, dropping a further 5 degrees off the temp down to 49 when running through 3DMark06.
The Noctua is what I origonally planned to use and probably shall do. SO much quieter and still cools the card well (55 degrees/3DMark06)

Noctua p12 and SilenX 120mm*38

My first go at sheathing cables - looking good so far.

Thats all for today. Tomorrow see's the innards replaced and I have some ideas for additional cooling of the CPU.
Plus I am looking forward to getting busy with the side panels but need to do a bit of research first.

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Wow. That looks great! Amazing job on the paint!

Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
Thankyou DanishDevil.
I am quite pleased with it.
Shall have to wait a bit before finishing the panels as a) waiting for parts, b) have to fabricate other parts and c) got to pack and move house.
Have also just made a bit of a cock up with some overenthusiastic drying of the dvd front panel and I now have a warped front panel.:banghead:
DVD should still work but bit of a toss up whether it'll stay or not.

More haste, less speed !

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
Yep, that purp looks much better in the newer picts. Very Nice. If you want to sell the Silenx PM me.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
purple & blue where did you get the idea for those colors ? are you going to paint the side panels think it would look better

Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
Hi Dom

Aside from liking the colour purple this was partly the inspiration for the exterior colour.

The blue inside the case is a lot darker and closer to a dark purple but for some reason the photo's consistently show it closer to blue.

The side panels aren'y going to remain all silver. Have an idea for them but I shall wait before revealing all. :)

@MK
I want to see how noisy it is inside the case first but shall get back to you if I need to get rid of it.
Time to start putting the guts of the comp inside the case now.

Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
Hurrah !.

Phase one completed.
The main aim of this work was too quieten my computer and I am pleased to say I have succeeded beyond my best hopes. This thing is quiet! with just a very faint background hum.
Spent best part of the weekend getting to this point and one mammoth task of cable management later and here is the result.
Looks a bit of a rats nest from the back but considering there are 5 HDD's in the rack, breakout box, the front panel wires and 4 fan controller wires and 4 temp probes it's not too bad. At least good enough until I get onto phase 2.

Left side - wiring

Right side panel off - looking pretty good if I say so myself.

Right side - air channel removed

inside - closer up.
Didn't like the native colour of the Noctua fan so a quick spray later and voila.
Have ended up using the SilenX fan as an exhaust connected to the fan controller. Its ok when the rev's are turned down.

Right side

Rear - assembled. Again, I think it looks pretty good. Glad I took the time to paint the blanking slots

Front - door closed

Front - door open

And a close up of the drive bays.

Shall try to find some smaller knobs for the soundcard breakout box as these one's look a little too large.
Have also had to re drill the mounting holes on the fan controller and sound box as the knobs protruded too far to allow the door to close.

Have a new dvd drive on order in order to rectify the melted and distorted face plate.
Left it a bit too close to the fire and was distracted. Thankfully dvd drive prices have dropped dramatically.

So, there we are, My quiet Cosmos.

The cooling could be a little better. Inside the case it's 22-24*c
The CPU cores are running between 27-35*c so I might have to change the fan back to the original one.

Are these temps too high for continuous use as I don't know?

The graphics card is running at 55*c. Again, not as cool as i'd like ideally so I think i might end up swapping the SilenX over with the Noctua and drop 5*c off that temp when I run the fan at full.
When running 3dmark6 the temp shot up to 71*c max. Again a little higher than i'd like but I don't think it will be too detrimental. I don't know how hot the 8800gtx usually runs on stock cooling.
Ambient room temp is 24*c so that certainly isn't helping the temps.

Anyway, Busy for the next two-three weeks so the panels need to wait. I'm planning on making a digital image, printing to Canvas, mounting on the panels under perspex, illuminated with LED's. Hopefully not too ambitious. I think (hope) it'll look great.

Thanks for your input and I hope you've enjoyed seeing how it's progressed.

Maju

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
The more I see it the more the colors grow on me, very nice job taking a different color and making it look very nice.

As to temps, try removing the PCI slot covers and the fan above the GPU, than add a fan blowing the warm air straight out the back.
(try to straighten the airflow, in the front than straight out the back)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
The fan controllers and front panel for your sound card didn't have a problem with the door?? I've been thinking of getting something, but worried about all that..

Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
Yep, they would have been a problem if I used the Coolermaster quick fitting mechanism as the knobs protuded too far.

Solution was to drill a couple of holes about 8mm to the right of the existing holes (on the drive bay devices) and just use a couple of screws to fix them in place. Allows for the drive bay units to sit back a bit further so that the door closes. Also meant that I had to spray a strip on top of the DVD writer the same colour as the case so that when the sound card breakout box is fitted you don't see a nasty strip of grey of the DVD.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Thats pretty nice right there man! I might think about doing that!

Wow, I have to say, that's a pretty nice paint job, and I don't hate the colour. Love the fact it's not just all purple, how you've broken it up inside and out. Very nciely done.
I was thinking of getting those SilenX fans too, but considering I find the case and fans too loud as is, I think I might just go all water, and have some Noctuas just on the rad, and above the HDDs, and that's it.
I was wondering about the fan controller as well. Kind of a shame, I don't like drilling things in a perfectly good, and rather expensive case, but if I find a fan controller I fall in love with, I might just have to fit it somehow.

Display(s) V7 22inch TFT
Software XP pro SP3
Thanks Ripper

Must admit, I was a little disappointed with the SilenX fan. rather noisy at full, but in fairness when turned down it is fairly quiet and still pushes a fair amount of air.
Knowing what I know now I would have stuck to the Noctua fans as they are pretty quiet.

Didn't actually drill the case, drilled the breakout box and fan controller cases.

At some point I think watercooling is probably the way to go, but for now i'm happy with the results.
Am in the middle of moving house at the mo so the second part of this project will have to wait but I look forward to finishing this case.

Phase 2 of this build can be found here http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=62702

Last edited: