• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what makes a Mac not a PC?

VroomBang

System Name Computer
Processor Wolfdale E8400 stock
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 FSB 1600MHz
Cooling CPU Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - front stock 12cm - rear Xig XSF-F1251 12cm - side Tacens Aura Pro 12cm
Memory Mushkin Redline DDR2 1000MHz 2x2GB 4-4-4-12 @1.8V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB stock
Storage SATA2 Seagate 500MB + IDE WesternDigital 500MB
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD SyncMaster 193v
Case Jeantech NJX ATX gaming tower case
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Jeantech 600W Arctic Modular JN-600-AP (dual 19a +12v rails )
Software Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06: 9906 / Super Pi 1M: 15.641 s
I, personally, do not care about the aesthetics.
Give me a computer in a pine box that plays Crysis maxed and I am a happy camper :D
well said :D

I'm the one ranting:eek: I really haven't checked anything,I'm just sitting at my computer because I'm tiered and can't sleep till my kids go to bed. I'm to tiered to google anything and compare prices and what not,I'm very tiered.
I had a terrible experience with a 18yr old little prick a year ago about the MAC/ PC thing. I already wanted to smack the kid for years because he had no respect for anyone even his own grandma. He just sat there and argued that only a MAC could record music at studio guilty and was being an a** to his dad because he wanted a PC for games and a MAC to record on. I said just get a good sound card like a E-MU for there almost new HP[ I think] but this kid just insisted it wouldn't work. It's the any MAC is better at somethings attitude that some havethat bothers me now. It's because of that dam kid I feel the need to chime in when ever this comes up with my sarcasms.
If I was getting a laptop I would consider a MAC because I know they have very high QC and gaming or upgrading isn't really a factor. Plus the price isn't that much higher and they depreciate slower. I don't care for any off the shelf system no matter who makes it. I built my first PC 10years ago form a box of old parts a few friends gave me and I have never even thought about buying one.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
Hey, if I ever get sick of doing the two things I love my computer for most, overclocking and gaming at that point I guess I must really love graphic design and video editing which I could have done on my windows computer anyway..I will go get a mac.

GJSNeptune

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 (with Scythe SFF21E)
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CAS4 DHX
Video Card(s) PALiT 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E
Storage WD2500AAKS, WD1600YS, WD1200JD, WD400EB
Display(s) LG L1920P, Viewsonic VA520
Case Lian-Li A05b (with two 120mm Yate Loon D12SM)
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Vista Business 32-bit/XP Pro 32-bit dual-boot
Final Cut Pro = Mac :D

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Final Cut Pro = Mac :D
The only thing I like about a mac right there. I killed my laptop trying to install mac on it actually. I downloaded the wrong build, Muffin remembers my athlon x64 laptop booting up to the apple and freezing there for like a week (actually I upgraded to sp1 beta at the same time, it was a joint effort between ms and apple to kill it)

Water Drop

Processor Intel Xeon X3210 Quad Core (G0) @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty Dark P35-T2RS
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120A w/ Scythe S-Flex F 120mm
Memory G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-1000
Video Card(s) eVGA Geforce 8800GT 512MB
Storage WD Black 1TB + 320GB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 20.1" Widescreen 2005FPW (1680x1050)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/window (black inside and out, debadged)
Power Supply Seasonic X750 Gold
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
The only difference is Apple makes their own operating system and includes it when you purchase one of their PCs. Nearly every other brand of PC besides Apple includes a third-party operating system. Some PCs are sold without an OS too.

"Macintosh" or "Mac" is simply a marketing name for Apple computers just as "XPS" is a marketing name for Dell computers. But "Mac OS" also refers to the operating system such as Mac OS X. Saying just "Mac" would be talking about the line of personal computers (PCs) produced by Apple, Inc. that just happen to come with a different OS then most other PCs on the market.

VroomBang

System Name Computer
Processor Wolfdale E8400 stock
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 FSB 1600MHz
Cooling CPU Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - front stock 12cm - rear Xig XSF-F1251 12cm - side Tacens Aura Pro 12cm
Memory Mushkin Redline DDR2 1000MHz 2x2GB 4-4-4-12 @1.8V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB stock
Storage SATA2 Seagate 500MB + IDE WesternDigital 500MB
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD SyncMaster 193v
Case Jeantech NJX ATX gaming tower case
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Jeantech 600W Arctic Modular JN-600-AP (dual 19a +12v rails )
Software Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06: 9906 / Super Pi 1M: 15.641 s
people who hate troubleshooting and who just want programs, hardware and drivers to work, and who will kill you if they hear "parts not compatible" or "system unstable", they'll go for Mac

people who enjoy challenges, have an inquisitive mind, enjoy fixing and optimizing things, getting the most out of their hardware, messing about :D, they go for PC.

PC can be very frustrating for some, yet very rewarding for others. You get what you put in your PC, according to the hours you spend on it. A PC is like a finely tuned race car. A Mac is luxury car where all is designed for your maximum comfort.

My opinion anyway :D

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the only thing that makes a mac a mac, is that the OS is locked to mac hardware. as soon as you can install mac OS on any PC, macs cease to be :)

mac is slowly losing their advantage now that they went intel based hardware, now that they can run windows on a mac people are thinking 'why cant i run mac OS on my PC?' The minute apple have to make drivers for 3rd party hardware they'll be in the same boat as windows with crashes and instabilites.

The only difference is Apple makes their own operating system and includes it when you purchase one of their PCs. Nearly every other brand of PC besides Apple includes a third-party operating system. Some PCs are sold without an OS too.

"Macintosh" or "Mac" is simply a marketing name for Apple computers just as "XPS" is a marketing name for Dell computers. But "Mac OS" also refers to the operating system such as Mac OS X. Saying just "Mac" would be talking about the line of personal computers (PCs) produced by Apple, Inc. that just happen to come with a different OS then most other PCs on the market.

The clearest, and most concise answer yet, I must commend you for it.

Mussels is right, they are probably going to be opening themselves up to a world of pain if they allow any man and his dog install OS X on a regular computer.
If IBM had hurried up development and production of their dual-core 3GHz PPC G5s, we would more than likely still be seeing Apple using PowerPC architecture, which would have meant less trouble for Apple.
Hell, my G3 clamshell could emulate Win 98 at a decent speed, even running VB6, and having relatively low compile times to boot, so if they had continued with the PPC achitecture, it wouldn't have detracted much from Apple hardware, but they might have also had to come up with a G6 or something similar to combat the Core architecture, which has Intel back as the performance king again.

VroomBang, anybody with a thirst for challenge, with an inquisitive mind, might just want a *nix OS, which could include either PC or Mac. Fine, you can't OC a Mac, but once you've started figuring out how to build your own distro, most people likely ignore that, so it's platform-independant.

could you run clockgen[ in XP] in parallels to OC OSX:confused:
I think clockgen interfaces with the bios. I like trying to answer my own questions sometime.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
unsure if that would work... you'd still need motherboard support and its possible the macs just have an unknown or locked PLL chip.

M

MiST91

the only thing that makes a mac a mac, is that the OS is locked to mac hardware. as soon as you can install mac OS on any PC, macs cease to be :)

mac is slowly losing their advantage now that they went intel based hardware, now that they can run windows on a mac people are thinking 'why cant i run mac OS on my PC?' The minute apple have to make drivers for 3rd party hardware they'll be in the same boat as windows with crashes and instabilites.

So very true, i think once a lot of people start to think "wait, why can Mac users run Windows when they don't have a BIOS, but i can't run Mac just because i don't have a UEFI)

except through PearPC emulator, a good attempt but not good enough to do anything worth doing.

If your sis doesn't want to deal with windows she probably feels the same about your hack-a-mac. Most of use know the draw backs of "free" software and I'm sure Apples working around the clock to prevent the MS "freeware" plague from spreading to them. If you want to deal with everything that pops up for the next few years and with the " I should'a bought a real MAC" go for it.
I think of it like this:
I want my car to go from A to B, If I have the money I want it to look good and be comfortable. I'm not going to optimize it or mod it, I'm just not in to cars. I'll work on them to try and save some money but I'm not happy about it.
Thats how I think most look at there PCs too. They want it to work with little effort and if they got the cash look good to. So if you sis can afford it and likes it let her be happy. After all there not bad PCs and are good at doing what they do.
I like to tinker with my PC as does everyone here but we are the minority. I wouldn't buy a motherboard without OC options ether. We all can see though the MAC hype for what it is, Intel PC with few otpion and a linux OS. That doesn't mean it's a bad PC for most how just buy it because it appeals to them.
I slept and feel much better now:D

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I had a terrible experience with a 18yr old little prick a year ago about the MAC/ PC thing. I already wanted to smack the kid for years because he had no respect for anyone even his own grandma. He just sat there and argued that only a MAC could record music at studio guilty and was being an a** to his dad because he wanted a PC for games and a MAC to record on. I said just get a good sound card like a E-MU for there almost new HP[ I think] but this kid just insisted it wouldn't work. It's the any MAC is better at somethings attitude that some havethat bothers me now. It's because of that dam kid I feel the need to chime in when ever this comes up with my sarcasms.

Heh, I find that the ones who make the most noise aren't in the industry at all.

My audio guys work on both PC's and Mac's. I work video on a PC and hand it off to friends on a Mac or vice versa. If we spent all this time arguing about this or that, we'd probably wouldn't get any work done :)

He wanted to record in his basement and had never even used a MAC before. His dad was just asked me about setting his PC up for home recording because I used to do some. The kids just a jerk it really has nothing to do with MACs it just pops in my head when it comes up. I was really tiered so thought I would vent here a bit.
My friend uses a MAC and protools, I liked cubase and my bother cakewalk but we all understand the biggest impact is the input not the interface. No matter what your doing the machine built for the purpose will do it better then the off the shelf model.
I have a few friends that use MACs and other Apple products but they don't think there magic like some Apple people. I can talk to them about computers and not get the I'm better because I have a MAC.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6GB
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit Edition
ok, so the way it works is:

1 - a mac os will work on any pc provided you install a few drivers to run it.

2 - mac os is not sold seperately so to use it legally it must be installed on an apple computer.

3 - an apple computer will run better with windows than with mac os.

4 - a mac is not the first computer of choice for gaming or game compatability.

in general, did that about size it all up?

GJSNeptune

1 - a mac os will work on any pc provided you install a few drivers to run it. Illegal, but yes.

2 - mac os is not sold seperately so to use it legally it must be installed on an apple computer. Correct

3 - an apple computer will run better with windows than with mac os. Misleading. The argument is that a Mac runs Windows better than a non-Mac

4 - a mac is not the first computer of choice for gaming or game compatability. Correct, mainly because game and graphics developers develop for non-Macs. In fact, compared to non-Macs, there aren't many games released/compatible for Macs.

That should help.

Ehstii

System Name Betty
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz @ 3.16(weak i know, waiting on better HSF)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 690G HDMI
Cooling Standard heatsink
Memory A-DATA 2GB(2x1GB dual channel) DDR2 800
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB
Storage 2x250GB Seagate SataII, 2x250GB Maxtor SataII, 1x120GB Maxtor SataII
Display(s) 22" Widescreen Acer LCD Flat Panel Monitor
Case AMS CF-6129BKS Black w/Silver bezel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply Rosewill RP550-2-S ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply
Software Windows XP SP2, Adobe Master Collection CS3, WoW, COD4, Cubase LE, Office 2007, Bit Comet, & more...
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 4710

1 - a mac os will work on any pc provided you install a few drivers to run it.

2 - mac os is not sold seperately so to use it legally it must be installed on an apple computer.

3 - an apple computer will run better with windows than with mac os.

4 - a mac is not the first computer of choice for gaming or game compatability.

2. Mac OS is sold separately. you can install it on any Mac.(providing you meet the correct system specifications.)

Ehstii

System Name Betty
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz @ 3.16(weak i know, waiting on better HSF)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 690G HDMI
Cooling Standard heatsink
Memory A-DATA 2GB(2x1GB dual channel) DDR2 800
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB
Storage 2x250GB Seagate SataII, 2x250GB Maxtor SataII, 1x120GB Maxtor SataII
Display(s) 22" Widescreen Acer LCD Flat Panel Monitor
Case AMS CF-6129BKS Black w/Silver bezel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply Rosewill RP550-2-S ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply
Software Windows XP SP2, Adobe Master Collection CS3, WoW, COD4, Cubase LE, Office 2007, Bit Comet, & more...
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 4710

GJSNeptune

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
saying you can install a mac on any PC is worse than saying you can install linux onto any PC. Its not going to happen without driver support, and 3rd party driver support for macs is VERY limited.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Storage 2x120 SSD, (5x8tb)+(3x4tb) = 35 TB Z1 pool
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Case cooler master something i think
Audio Device(s) does anyone bother with anything but onboard?
Power Supply Whatever OCZ PC Powercooling became. 1200 modular setup
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
saying you can install a mac on any PC is worse than saying you can install linux onto any PC. Its not going to happen without driver support, and 3rd party driver support for macs is VERY limited.

it is limited, but you would be suprised. I installed Leopard on my machine just to see what it was like and see how it performed against windows. I was able to find drivers for my P5b deluxe, and for my 3870. Everything worked really easily.

BUT it is limited, so dont build a PC and expect it to work.

But I will say, after running OSX, it absolutely hates OCing. I ran XP stable as a rock for 2 months on the settings, put OSX on, and it would fail constantly. I had to drop my OC from 3.6ghz to 2.8 on my q6600 just to get it to run without crashing. To me thats lame! Also, running a CPU test with BOINC, the OSX scored 22% worse than the XP at the same 2.8 ghz OC.

SO yes, you might be able to get it to work, but I got a better idea, build a PC, then buy good software for your purpose!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
or if you really want macos, just cough up and buy a mac.

guyguy

System Name Dell Dimension 4500S
Processor Intel Celeron 1.80 GHZ
Memory 256 mb ram
Video Card(s) Intel
Storage 1 40 GB hard drive
Case OEM Dell 4500S case
Difference: Mac is more stable
Windoze is owned by money hungry Bill Gates