• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE - General information and discussion

AphexDreamer:

3870 x2 will work!!! Just uncheck the lock box, and then can adjust all the settings. But you won't be able to adjust fan speeds

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
the should work with 3870 x2, give me a sec and i'll try it. but going about flashing it. just use atiflash. and use this command: atiflash.exe -pa biosname

I hope your 100% right. Let me know how your flash goes and if its successful, if you don't mind PM'ing me instruction on how to do so that would be great (If you remember and all).

EDIT: Ahh so I can edit its BIOS sweet, then I just need to worry about flashing it, thanks.

I hope your 100% right. Let me know how your flash goes and if its successful, if you don't mind PM'ing me instruction on how to do so that would be great (If you remember and all).

EDIT: Ahh so I can edit its BIOS sweet, then I just need to worry about flashing it, thanks.

i don't have 3870 x2 sorry, but i've flash tons of cards though. and this one shouldn't be any different.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Sorry for the noobish question comming here...

Can I put "any" voltage in the slots for 3Dvoltage? Of course I mean within reason, but does it look for a specific set/group of voltages?
Yes, you can enter 1000 volts to these slots if you want. It depends on the card, what it makes of it. There are cards that seem to not have a changeable voltage transformer at all, but must cards transformers will limit at about 1.4 volts. RBE correctly programmes the BIOS to set the voltage entered, but due to hardware limitation, this might not be enough. You need to convince yourself using a multimeter to be sure about your voltages. If you reached the hardware limit, a hard mod (many tuturials can be found in the internet) is inevitable.

Does anyone know if this would work with the HD3870X2 BIOS and how one would go about Flashing the HD3870X2 with out bricking it (Preferable)? I read somewhere you need to flash it twice or something like that, which scares me cause HOW THE FUDGE WOULD I DO THAT??

Thanks.

Yes, you can alter a 3870 X² BIOS. Due to this card actually has 2 boards with 2 BIOSes, you have to flash the exact same BIOS file to both of the boards. I don't know if this can be done using WinFlash, but I'm certain ATIFlash can do the job! :)

Winflash should work, i would think. You wouldn't think it would work, because of winflash showing the device as one, on a single gpu card. But idk, surely somebody has tried it. lol

Processor 4690K @ 4.5
Motherboard GA-Z97-HD3
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 470 8GB
Max voltage

Any advice as to the max voltage I could safely put an powercolor HD3850 512Mb

Default 1.22 tried 1.3 & 1.35 no increase in OC ability still stuck at 783/1053 55degrees under load.

don't know if this is one of the cards that can not be over volted in bios, or is there an issue with the powercolor bios/

thanks for any help.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
What's the different between TPU RBE and Computerbase BIOS editor? Is it the same tool, just BRANDED differently? Is one updated "quicker" than the other? WHich one should I use?
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/treiber/grafikkarten/ati/computerbase_ati_bios-editor/ THANKS

i've used that one too, but i believe after the release they only started doing the 3k series.

sorry i take that back that's a newer one then i've used. work it works on my cards too. :)

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
What's the different between TPU RBE and Computerbase BIOS editor? Is it the same tool, just BRANDED differently? Is one updated "quicker" than the other? WHich one should I use?
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/treiber/grafikkarten/ati/computerbase_ati_bios-editor/ THANKS
Why don't you download this Computerbase program and see for yourself? It's a completely different program. It has it advantages, but there are several disadvantages just as a poor fan support for example or non-changable BIOS information.

WHich one should I use?
You should use RBE, of course! ;)

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
OK BAGZZ, but it is NOT OBVIOUS that the TPU one is better... since YOU are credited on BOTH programs!

OK... so TPU version is the one to use! Thanks.

Igor

Every one of us knows voltmod through modding the bios doesn't work with Powercolor HD 3850 cards. But i have HD 3850 from Sapphire, i tried to edit the bios with computer base ati radeon bios editor, no go. Is it possible to mod voltage in RBE?

Last edited:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Every one of us knows voltmod through modding the bios doesn't work with Powercolor HD 3850 cards. But i have HD 3850 from Sapphire, i tried to edit the bios with computer base ati radeon bios editor, no go. Is it possible to mod voltage in RBE?

The computer base program does pretty much the same as RBE: Programming the BIOS to set certain voltages.
If hardware doesn't put it into practice, it won't work! Use a hard mod, then.

chenakos

Hello all!

I am new in here, reading interesting stuff from this forum.

Recently I upgraded my Asus Terminator P4 533A (initally purcheased barebone system in 2003) with a GeCube Ati Radeon HD 2400 Pro AGP 512Mb. Rest hardware in the system is a P4 2.4GHz, 1GB DDR RAM, onboard sound. The AGP slot is up to 4x, while the VGA card is up to 8x, but nobody is perfect!

Anyway, I needed some video card boost for my system in order to go on playing games. So I bought the above Ati HD 2400 Pro AGP.

My problem now is that the video card's fan is making some noticeable noise while the rest of the fan on CPU and case work only when temperatures rise (the fans also rise thier speeds). Ati's fan is working constantly, with no reduction in its speed. So I am thinking to use RBE and modify ATI's fan settings in the card's BIOS, so the fan will work in lower speeds.

Because it's the first time I am gonna flash my video card's BIOS I would like some help here, please!

Below, there are pictures of the BIOS taken from the ATI HD 2400 PRO AGP as it appears in RBE.

The last pic is from the alternation I did in the "Fan Settings" section in RBE, in order to lower somehow the fan speed of my video card.

1. Can someone tell me if this Ati HD 2400 Pro AGP 512MB BIOS has any control over its fan speed? RBE shows that normally this card's BIOS controls the fan as it is shown in picture 3 (look up table) before the alternation i made of course!

2. Is this change I am showing here at pic 4 at the look up table going to change the Fan speed of my video card?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 537
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 533
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 475
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 488

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Hello all!

I am new in here, reading interesting stuff from this forum.

Recently I upgraded my Asus Terminator P4 533A (initally purcheased barebone system in 2003) with a GeCube Ati Radeon HD 2400 Pro AGP 512Mb. Rest hardware in the system is a P4 2.4GHz, 1GB DDR RAM, onboard sound. The AGP slot is up to 4x, while the VGA card is up to 8x, but nobody is perfect!

Anyway, I needed some video card boost for my system in order to go on playing games. So I bought the above Ati HD 2400 Pro AGP.

My problem now is that the video card's fan is making some noticeable noise while the rest of the fan on CPU and case work only when temperatures rise (the fans also rise thier speeds). Ati's fan is working constantly, with no reduction in its speed. So I am thinking to use RBE and modify ATI's fan settings in the card's BIOS, so the fan will work in lower speeds.

Because it's the first time I am gonna flash my video card's BIOS I would like some help here, please!

Below, there are pictures of the BIOS taken from the ATI HD 2400 PRO AGP as it appears in RBE.

The last pic is from the alternation I did in the "Fan Settings" section in RBE, in order to lower somehow the fan speed of my video card.

1. Can someone tell me if this Ati HD 2400 Pro AGP 512MB BIOS has any control over its fan speed? RBE shows that normally this card's BIOS controls the fan as it is shown in picture 3 (look up table) before the alternation i made of course!

2. Is this change I am showing here at pic 4 at the look up table going to change the Fan speed of my video card?

Many thanks in advance!

RBE shows what's programmed to the fan controller on boot up. If the card ignores the controller, maybe by using a fixed fan voltage, the controller can control nothing of course. You can check using RivaTuner's hardware monitor whether your fan speed is really constant or the look up table values are being used.
Why don't you just hit the "set all settings to recommended values" button? If you really wanna use the look up table, you can do so but I think you should consider using transfer function because it is more sophisticated.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
How do you fix powerplay issue with the HD3870X2, anyone know?

wow_lon

hi BAGZZlash! I'm new here and I registered to thank you for your very useful application! I've been having problems with the fan control of my GeCube HD 3850 (256MB). I set the fan this way:

The fan speeds up as temperature rises, I can here it! But the fan never go down even if the temperature already went down. It gets stuck at that speed. It will only reset if I reboot or put the computer to sleep. Does it have something to do with the PWM control? I set it this way:

Does flashing the BIOS using Winflash and ATIFlash have differences? I hope you can help me! Thanks again!

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
@wow_lon
Did you have this issue also when you try it with a newer/older bios version?

chenakos

RBE shows what's programmed to the fan controller on boot up. If the card ignores the controller, maybe by using a fixed fan voltage, the controller can control nothing of course. You can check using RivaTuner's hardware monitor whether your fan speed is really constant or the look up table values are being used.
Why don't you just hit the "set all settings to recommended values" button? If you really wanna use the look up table, you can do so but I think you should consider using transfer function because it is more sophisticated.

So is there someone in here that may know if Fan Regulation is possible in ATI RADEON HD 2400 PRO AGP 512MB through change in its BIOS?

Regarding the controller you state, is there any way that I might bypass it?

Using the "set all settings to recommended values" button, the graph changes with higher values. I will try to post a picture and show you what I mean. Transfer function is a nice solution, but I am first interested if this might work at all, regulating fan speed through BIOS.

wow_lon

@VuurVOS

The problem was solved! I used the BIOS from the TPU archive, edited the fan control and flashed it in DOS mode. The fan works now! I think it has something to do with Hysteresis, I set it to zero as well as the Tmin this time and it worked!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Bad flash, where to go from here?

So, yeah, I got a flash failed in ATi WinFlash and now my subsytem ID doesn't match anything. Anyone have any suggestions? :(

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I cannot get any display upon reboot, I'm using my other card at the moment. how do you do this force?

Attachments

• erocker.zip
    39.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited: