• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Video Cards Specs Leaked

16 ROPs still, huh?

I think we will be back to AMD at the mid-range and NV at the top in no time. This chip isn't going to really blow past the current top stuff, even in CF. And NV certainly isn't just sending its engineers to posh parties and skipping out on R&D for a new GPU.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Nvidia has a 71% share in discrete graphics. That is a fact, although not one that has been linked to in this thread. NV would have more errors by sheer numbers alone. I got a bit annoyed earlier, but its not a fact that can really be argued - yeah intel have more than Nvidia, but Nvidia have more than AMD - i dont see people choosing intel video because it crashes less.

I never argued the discreet market share, I argue that applying a 71% market share to nvidia in that article was ridiculous as others have shown, when intel is in the equation, nvidia doesn't have near that amount. And the article didn't even say it focused on graphics, it just reported the amount of crashes due to drivers, amd/ati, intel, nvidia, and via all use drivers for motherboards as well as drivers for graphics. This will also include any tv tuners or other add on devices any of the above companies make that have seperate drivers. You also have to remember that the specs of the systems were not shown. Meaning any joe shmoe who wanted to upgrade his nforce motherboard with an amd athlon cpu to vista is factored in there. You also have to factor any user who decided to mdownload a nvidia quodro or ati fire gl driver for their geforce or radeon. Or any users who tried to install the wrong motherboard drivers.

All in all you have to take the article with a grain of salt. I mean it came off of 158 pages of suppor tickets without any real system info. Thats inconclusive in any book.

System Name The Money Sink
Processor Intel i7-5960X at 4.60Ghz
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike
Cooling Custom watercooling loop, single D5 -> CPU, dual D5 -> GPU's
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) 2 x 1080Ti @ Stock for the moment (40oC LOAD)
Storage 960GB Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe and 2 x 512GB M.2 SSD RAID0
Display(s) Dual Curved LG 34" Display
Power Supply EVGA 1600W G2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores ALOT

grndzro

They have been doing it since right after the 9800...I love ati but come on, lets be realistic. You cant just say there not going to, theres at least a feasible chance they will.

Who the hell are you kidding?
I'm still running Crossfire 1950XTX.
I've never had driver problems
I have never run across a game yet that I can't max out the graphics and get 70+ fps.
(Not counting Crysis....it is an unoptimized pos that should have been scrapped)

I did work for Dell as a tecnician. Nvidia and Microsoft fought for over a year about who was supposed to foot the bill for rewriting the Nvidia Vista drivers. They absolutely sucked during that time.
Another point is that many prebuit systems never report their crashes to MS, they are reported to their respective companies. which are never counted in the polls.....and are 80% nvidia.
The Nvidia/Microsoft fiasco over the Vista drivers put Nvidia back quite a ways behind vista compatibility.

Another thing to consider is that ATI-Tool is far more complex at tuning ATI cards and offers far more options for us ATI fanboys than any Nvidia overclocking tool, and that alone creates far more crashes than would normally happen were we content to just use the ATI control panel. and most ATI users do use ATI-Tool for tweaking their graphics.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Who the hell are you kidding?
I'm still running Crossfire 1950XTX.
I've never had driver problems
I have never run across a game yet that I can't max out the graphics and get 70+ fps.
(Not counting Crysis....it is an unoptimized pos that should have been scrapped)

I did work for Dell as a tecnician. Nvidia and Microsoft fought for over a year about who was supposed to foot the bill for rewriting the Nvidia Vista drivers. They absolutely sucked during that time.
Another point is that many prebuit systems never report their crashes to MS, they are reported to their respective companies. which are never counted in the polls.....and are 80% nvidia.
The Nvidia/Microsoft fiasco over the Vista drivers put Nvidia back quite a ways behind vista compatibility.

Another thing to consider is that ATI-Tool is far more complex at tuning ATI cards and offers far more options for us ATI fanboys than any Nvidia overclocking tool, and that alone creates far more crashes than would normally happen were we content to just use the ATI control panel. and most ATI users do use ATI-Tool for tweaking their graphics.

By any chance, did you bother to read post #180? You know: the post right before yours?

Megasty

Processor i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz (4.0 when gaming)
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme - Yeah I Bought It...
Cooling Swiftech.
Memory 12 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer - I Love Red
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH4870X2 - That Fan Is...!?
Storage 4 WD 1.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Sceptre
Case TT Xaser VI - Fugly, Red, & Huge...
Audio Device(s) The ASUS Thingy
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
By any chance, did you bother to read post #180? You know: the post right before yours?

Of course not :rolleyes:

Before this thread completely goes to hell, those specs seem to have a few areas of focus that would cause some to think that they are atleast twice as fast as their 3800 counterparts. The ROPs kills that thought right off. The cards will still pwn, but if the architecture would have allowed for 24 or 32 ROPs, they would have been out of this world. I do have to commend them for fixing the TMU mess as that screwed us over more than anything else :rockout:

BumbRush

both have. repeatedly.

Aimed at no one in particular:
ANYTHING YOU SAY ABOUT NV OR ATI SUCKING CAN BE APPLIED EQUALLY TO THE OTHER ONE. PLEASE STOP THIS REPETITIVE FANBOI CRAP.

but at least ati didnt put out an FX class line of cards :p

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087

BumbRush

nVidia pushes out 2+ beta drivers a month. Usually they only have one alpha release a month. They're on par with ATI; only difference is that ATI doesn't release beta drivers left and right like nVidia does - instead, they rely heavily on feedback crews, and consumer feedback (us) for driver development. If there's an issue they're trying to resolve, we typically see either a hotfix or a beta release.

Now, if we start calling beta drivers as "official" driver releases - than yeah, I'll defi admit that nVidia releases more drivers than ATI does.

And saying that ATI is lucky to see monthly driver releases anymore is absolutely ridiculous - and you know that, man - ATI has been following the same 1 official driver release per month schedule since, what? 2004/2005? We all know round about when the next driver is rolling out, there's no guessing or hoping involved. If there was any evidence that ATI would start cutting back to quarterly or bi-monthly driver releases, we would've seen or heard evidence of that already.

I understand there's a debate going on, but in the heat of a debate one's comments can start coming across to be very fanboish - not calling you a fanboi, newtekie1, but IMO, that quote on the driver releases very much sounded that way.

Initial release January 19, 2004

Ver. 4.1 (Pkg. ver. 7.97) [1]

so yeah, nvidia's supports so much better......yet most of their beta drivers dont support all the cards that use the same chips(g92) and they are NOT official drivers they are BETA.

personaly i have an 8800gt, and really, i wish the 3870 had been out when i got my card, because thats what i would have, and i wouldnt have had to reinstall x64 windows 4 times to get the system useable.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

I didnt have Problems with Drivers Until 7.8s and higher, Once the Hotfix Came Out i switched to those and no problems.

Beyond that Please Lets get back on Topic, this topic is not about drivers but ATi's Radeon 4 Line.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

flashstar

System Name Einstein IV
Processor 1090t @ 3.8 Ghz
Motherboard Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
Cooling Swiftech H20 Cooling Kit w/ Apogee XT Rev. 2
Memory 32 GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI 260 XT 216 edition
Storage 2x 120gb Sandisk Extreme SSDs, 1x 120 gb Corsair Force 2
Display(s) Samsung BW206
Case Lian-li Lan-cool
Audio Device(s) M-Audio Profire 610
Power Supply Corsair TX-750
On wikipedia, it says that the GT200 has 1000 gflops of processing power. The R770 is estimated to have 1000 as well. It appears that the current situation between ATI and Nvidia will not change much with the exception of ATI being out first this time in the contest between GT200 and R770.

What will matter is how competitive ATI's pricing is. I'm betting that we will see a major price drop in Q3 2008 from ATI for the R770 with the release of GT200 products.

BumbRush

nope, ATI released the 'VE' series (Radion 7000)

the VE and SE cards are kinda like the MX line, they are just suck cards for people who want cheap.

look how many stupid fools bought gf4mx cards thinking "its geforce 4 its gotta be good"

the VE was bad for games, but they played dvd's very well, and OLD games where ok, hell the mpeg decoding on them really helped slower systems play dvd's for old skool htpc/mpc systems :)

They put out HD2000 series instead :p

at least the hd2000 cards are capable of doing what they advertise even if they loose perf to AA and such.

the fx line CANT play dx9 games worth a damn, i know its the one thing nvidia did that truely ticked me off, soldme a top of the line "dx9" card that turned out to be utterly unable to play dx9 games......unless u like a 4fps slideshow...........

meh, i hope that the 4800's turn out to be kickass :)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
In the same way, I should be able to play any DX 10 game at appropriate settings on any HD 2000 series card. I can't play Crysis on even the lowest setting on a HD2400 Pro....4fps slideshow....what I don't like.

BumbRush

2400 is NOT a gaming card tho, just like the 8400 isnt a gaming card, they are made for buisness and work/video playback systems, wanting to play any game other then some 10year old stuff on a low end "value" card is like wanting to use a geo metro to tow a 24foot boat ;)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
2400 is NOT a gaming card tho, just like the 8400 isnt a gaming card, they are made for buisness and work/video playback systems, wanting to play any game other then some 10year old stuff on a low end "value" card is like wanting to use a geo metro to tow a 24foot boat ;)

I will use your logic, equate the HD2400 to FX 5200 (which in its line couldn't play DX9 games).

No more FX / HD2000 discussion. Barring the HD2900 series, HD2000 had been as much a hollow promise to consumers as GeForce FX was.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
5200 could Run NFSU and U2 fine at normal settings, just couldnt pump graphics, every card has its niche.

But TBH i think this Topic needs to be locked as it has gotten way out of context.

Of course not :rolleyes:

Before this thread completely goes to hell, those specs seem to have a few areas of focus that would cause some to think that they are atleast twice as fast as their 3800 counterparts. The ROPs kills that thought right off. The cards will still pwn, but if the architecture would have allowed for 24 or 32 ROPs, they would have been out of this world. I do have to commend them for fixing the TMU mess as that screwed us over more than anything else :rockout:

Ati really doesn't need more ROP's because they do AA in the shaders (unlike nVidia). The 3870 already proves that since it's more competitive at higher resolutions.
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/..._x2/20/#abschnitt_performancerating_qualitaet
Check out 2560x1600 ... ATI is short on TMU's not ROP's.

Megasty

Processor i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz (4.0 when gaming)
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme - Yeah I Bought It...
Cooling Swiftech.
Memory 12 GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer - I Love Red
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH4870X2 - That Fan Is...!?
Storage 4 WD 1.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Sceptre
Case TT Xaser VI - Fugly, Red, & Huge...
Audio Device(s) The ASUS Thingy
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit
Ati really doesn't need more ROP's because they do AA in the shaders (unlike nVidia). The 3870 already proves that since it's more competitive at higher resolutions.
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/..._x2/20/#abschnitt_performancerating_qualitaet

The choking point in the 3800 series was definitely the TMUs. The relatively poor performance in the 3870 came from only having 16 TMUs. The card would fly when just starting to game & slow down to a crawl when you enter an environment where there's alot going on. The 3870x2 nearly solved that problem while showing the ability of a card that have 32 total TMUs & ROPs, although they work over 2 gpu's. With the doubling of the TMUs, ATI has tackled the problem headon. They still have half the TMUs of current Nvidia cards which they tried to offset by having a ridiculous amount of basic shaders but that's an architecture issue isn't it :toast:

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP

And I think the architecture is only going to better with the generations in that respect. Since AA is done in the shaders it takes up X shading power. Let's do a bold speculation based on performance hit when AA is enabled and say it takes up 80 SP on the HD3870 at a said resolution (25% of power, please it's just to give an example) . At the same resolution the HD4 series are going to need the same power, 80 SPs, but the difference is:

480 - 80 = 400
320 - 80 = 240

We have 50% more shaders, but that translates to 66% more free shaders, and this will go up as we add shaders. IMO dedicated hardware (more ROPs) is still better, but Ati is going to improve, that's for sure. 66% more shaders clocked 35% higher (1050Mhz / 775 Mhz) translates to 125% more performance:

P x 1,66 x 1,35 = 2,249 P

Interestingly, we have more or less the same improvement in the texture mapping area, double the units clocked a bit higher:

Texture fillrate -> TFR x 2 x 850/775 = 2,19 TFR

I guess they are aiming at ~2,20X the performance of HD3 series.

And I really hope we are correct and Ati's new generation comes with a 100% improvement or greater, since according to leaked specs Nvidia's chip IS going to be double as fast as G92, since it's double everything.

We need Ati back on the high-end market.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
And I think the architecture is only going to better with the generations in that respect. Since AA is done in the shaders it takes up X shading power. Let's do a bold speculation based on performance hit when AA is enabled and say it takes up 80 SP on the HD3870 at a said resolution (25% of power, please it's just to give an example) . At the same resolution the HD4 series are going to need the same power, 80 SPs, but the difference is:

480 - 80 = 400
320 - 80 = 240

We have 50% more shaders, but that translates to 66% more free shaders, and this will go up as we add shaders. IMO dedicated hardware (more ROPs) is still better, but Ati is going to improve, that's for sure. 66% more shaders clocked 35% higher (1050Mhz / 775 Mhz) translates to 125% more performance:

Interestingly, we have more or less the same improvement in the texture mapping area, double the units clocked a bit higher:

And I really hope we are correct and Ati's new generation comes with a 100% improvement or greater, since according to leaked specs Nvidia's chip IS going to be double as fast as G92, since it's double everything.

then double that up for the 4870x2 :eek: :nutkick:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Have you ever even used Rivatuner? It is far more complicated than ATItool.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
... lots of calcs leading to conclusion of 2.2x performance.
Given the same architecture, higher clocks, and more shaders, I think these are the performance implications:

1./ Broadly similar performance at standard resolutions e.g. 1280x1024 and with no AA FSAA effects since no architectural changes
2./ General improvement in line with clock-for-clock increases 10-20%
3./ The increase to 32 TMU will mean that the cards wont CHOKE at higher resolutions. It will be able to handle 1920x1200 without hitting the wall
4./ Currently you can dial up 4x AA without any performance hit. With the extra shaders you can do the same at 1920x1200 now
5./ With the extra shaders, you will be able to dial up 8x or 16x at 1280x1024 without a significant hit.
6./ The GPU will run hotter and require more power
7./ Compensated by using GDDR5 memory that will require less power and run a bit cooler

Net net... get the GDDR5 model.

Will there be a "jump" in performance like we saw between the x19xx series and hd38xx? No.

Last edited:

flashstar

System Name Einstein IV
Processor 1090t @ 3.8 Ghz
Motherboard Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
Cooling Swiftech H20 Cooling Kit w/ Apogee XT Rev. 2
Memory 32 GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI 260 XT 216 edition
Storage 2x 120gb Sandisk Extreme SSDs, 1x 120 gb Corsair Force 2
Display(s) Samsung BW206
Case Lian-li Lan-cool
Audio Device(s) M-Audio Profire 610
Power Supply Corsair TX-750
Will there be a "jump" in performance like we saw between the x19xx series and hd38xx? No.

That is where I have to disagree with you. If performance doesn't "jump", ATI will fail. Then AMD will be very vulnerable to a buyout from some other company and then who knows what will happen. ATI knows that it has to be at least on par with the GT200.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Beyond Shaders, ROPs, TMUs there is the Fact of the Basic Transistor Density.

480 - 80 = 400
320 - 80 = 240