• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Officially Denies Latest Xbox 360 Blu-Ray Reports

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
One more Xbox 360 Blu-Ray rumour goes down. Last week DigiTimes reported that Pegatron Technology has secured an order from Microsoft to manufacture Xbox 360 consoles with Blu-ray support for release this fall. Microsoft today officially denied the report.
As we have stated, we have no plans to introduce a Blu-ray drive for Xbox 360,
said a Microsoft official in an email to GamePro.
Games are what drive consumers to purchase game consoles, and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available.
End of statement.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
not good for ms, if they put blue ray, they might do a lot better.

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
bad move on MS.
they should have went blue ray...unless they waiting for the 720 or whatever the box will be

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Funny, I read a story today that says that not only is Xbox360 getting a blue-ray player, it's also getting a shrunken down, more powerful gpu come 3rd quarter this year?!

Rodster

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm just waiting for Microsoft to turn around and announce a Blu-Ray drive next week. Companies always deny information they don't want available to the public, even if it is true. If it was true they only wanted to focus on games, the HD-DVD driver would have never made it to the market.

The fact is that they knew the PS3 was going to play Blu-Ray movies and it was a threat, they needed to compete, so they went with an HD-DVD player to do it. Now that HD-DVD is gone, they have no other choice but to switch to Blu-Ray to continue to compete with the HD Movie features of the PS3.

Davidelmo

Processor Intel i7 920 @4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD5
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory 6Gb Patriot 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI HD4870 1Gb
Storage 2x250Gb Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0) plus 2B storage
Display(s) Samsung 22 inch Widescreen
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Auzen Prelude 7.1
Power Supply PCP&P 750W Silencer
Software Win7 beta
I'm happy for them to stick with games.

I don't want my 360 as a BluRay player. I could buy a Blu-Ray drive for my PC if I wanted to do that. (I don't)

Besides, BluRay *still* has a TINY market share compared to just normal DVDs. I sure as hell wouldn't spend £200 on an add-on drive to watch movies that cost £20 each.

I really hope MS just stick to making the 360 an awesome gaming console and nothing else.

Reactions: Kei
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
If this is true, this is one of the dumbest moves by MS this year alone.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm happy for them to stick with games.

I don't want my 360 as a BluRay player. I could buy a Blu-Ray drive for my PC if I wanted to do that. (I don't)

Besides, BluRay *still* has a TINY market share compared to just normal DVDs. I sure as hell wouldn't spend £200 on an add-on drive to watch movies that cost £20 each.

I really hope MS just stick to making the 360 an awesome gaming console and nothing else.

1.) Not everyone wants to watch their HD movies on their computer monitor. Most have HDTVs that are much bigger, in their living rooms, not connected to their computers, and have more comfortable seating(at least for groups of people). Plus, if pricing is similar tot he HD-DVD add-on it will be less expensive than a reader for the computer, or right around the same price.

2.) It does have a tiny market share compared to blu-ray movies. DVDs had a tiny market share compared to VHS tapes when they first came out, CDs had a tiny market share compared to cassettes when they first came out, and cars had a tiny market share compared to horses when they first came out. What is your point exactly?

3.) Amazon lists some blu-Ray movies for under £6(Spiderman 3 is just one of the, I'm not talking the cheap no name movies). They aren't really that expensive. Usually you can pick them up for $5-10 more than the DVD, which is well worth the picture qaulity, IMO. Though I understand there are some out there where it isn't, in that case a Blu-Ray drive would not be targetted at you. The drive would be marketted towards people that want a Blu-Ray player and don't want to spend insane amounts of money for a stand alone player.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
I wish "they" stop spreading this fud. It's obvious MS is not interested. And, neither are most consumers. According to NPD, Blu-ray standalone players sales decreased by 40 percent starting January to February. Only to rise 2% from February to March. With no competition this is looking bad. It's no real "surprise" MS is not interested, they see that there is no market for them, along with other reasons. ;)
Source

Another reason...DVD's are simply "good enough"
But more likely is what NPD's high-def video analysts have been harping on for a while: that DVD is "good enough" for most consumers. And that the picture offered by a Blu-ray Disc and accompanying player doesn't appear so overwhelmingly better than a standard DVD and an upconverting player that many consumers can't justify the dramatically increased cost.

To that point, sales of significantly less expensive upconverting DVD players have actually increased 5 percent over the first quarter of 2008, compared with the same quarter a year ago. Standard DVD player sales dropped 39 percent over the same period.
Source

What's obvious is that MS has no need for BR. It is BR that has a need for MS and they are showing BR the door :laugh:

Last edited:

Davidelmo

Cooling Titan Fenrir
Software Win7 beta
1.) Not everyone wants to watch their HD movies on their computer monitor. Most have HDTVs that are much bigger, in their living rooms, not connected to their computers, and have more comfortable seating(at least for groups of people). Plus, if pricing is similar tot he HD-DVD add-on it will be less expensive than a reader for the computer, or right around the same price.

True, but not many people want to watch HD movies anyway, lol. Either way, why can't a game console be just for games? I don't see any huge need for the 360 to have an add-on.

2.) It does have a tiny market share compared to blu-ray movies. DVDs had a tiny market share compared to VHS tapes when they first came out, CDs had a tiny market share compared to cassettes when they first came out, and cars had a tiny market share compared to horses when they first came out. What is your point exactly?

My point is that there is no need to jump on the bandwagon when it hasn't even taken off yet. The vast majority of people are still happy with DVDs (as evidenced from sales figures), so everyone saying this is a very stupid move, I just don't understand. It's not like they are missing out on anything now, or in the near future.

3.) Amazon lists some blu-Ray movies for under £6(Spiderman 3 is just one of the, I'm not talking the cheap no name movies). They aren't really that expensive. Usually you can pick them up for $5-10 more than the DVD, which is well worth the picture qaulity, IMO. Though I understand there are some out there where it isn't, in that case a Blu-Ray drive would not be targetted at you. The drive would be marketted towards people that want a Blu-Ray player and don't want to spend insane amounts of money for a stand alone player.

The movie price might have come down since the last time I looked :eek:

Either way, why does the stand alone player cost loads and an add-on drive is cheaper? Surely the actual hardware in the machine is exacly the same? All you need in the standalone is the software, right?

I'm not a HD-DVD fanboy, or a 360 fanboy or anti-sony or anything like that... I just don't see any desperate need for the 360 to have a blu-ray drive. The demand isn't there and frankly I would rather that MS put their time, effort and money into getting more great games to the 360, as well as finally sorting out its hardware problems :ohwell:

Davidelmo

Cooling Titan Fenrir
Software Win7 beta
I would also agree that the difference between DVD and BluRay isn't huge - certainly not as big as VHS vs DVD, horse vs car etc.

With DVD you could have chapters, menus, subtitles, interactive sections, pause, frame-by-frame, alternate ending etc. Bluray brings nothing new and significant to the table apart from better picture quality.

Even that picture quality isn't particularly noticeable to an average person on an average sized TV. On a 40 inch TV at "across the room" distance, it certainly isn't worth the money IMO.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
They will change their mind.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
I would also agree that the difference between DVD and BluRay isn't huge - certainly not as big as VHS vs DVD, horse vs car etc.

With DVD you could have chapters, menus, subtitles, interactive sections, pause, frame-by-frame, alternate ending etc. Bluray brings nothing new and significant to the table apart from better picture quality.

Even that picture quality isn't particularly noticeable to an average person on an average sized TV. On a 40 inch TV at "across the room" distance, it certainly isn't worth the money IMO.

Not only that, they are re-introducing mpeg2 codecs into their titles again. Something that wasn't suppose to happen. For example take Commando. Amazon sells it for over $25 and uses mpeg2 codec resulting in lower then average high def quality. When you can buy the same movie on DVD, $10+ cheaper. It's no surprise MS isn't interested...

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7

Then you've never actually owned / seen a quality 1080p 40 inch hdtv from across the room. Furthermore the importance of blu-ray for the xbox 360 is STORAGE CAPACITY. DVD-9 is has a significantly smaller storage capacity than that of a blu-ray disc (and there is no comparison when you are using a dual layer blu-ray disc). I really suggest you do your research before coming in here and arguing points the way you are.

Davidelmo

Cooling Titan Fenrir
Software Win7 beta
Then you've never actually owned / seen a quality 1080p 40 inch hdtv from across the room. Furthermore the importance of blu-ray for the xbox 360 is STORAGE CAPACITY. DVD-9 is has a significantly smaller storage capacity than that of a blu-ray disc (and there is no comparison when you are using a dual layer blu-ray disc). I really suggest you do your research before coming in here and arguing points the way you are.

What on earth are you on about?

Thank for putting words into my mouth :slap:

Viewing distance - yes I have seen it and it isn't hugely impressive. Thanks for your incorrect assumptions. Average people can barely tell the difference and they don't see anything wrong with DVD quality. See the attached diagram.

Yes, there *is* a difference in quality, but if people thought it was significant then BluRay would have caught on by now. Using the examples I mentioned earlier (40 inch TV, across the room distance (say 10-15 feet), the difference is barely noticeable. Certainly nothing like the VHS vs DVD comparison I used. VHS had tracking problems, grainyness, you couldn't pause it without horizontal lines. The tapes would wear and tear or just break, you had to fast-forward/rewind etc etc etc. VHS o DVD was a massive jump. BluRay brings a slightly better picture quality... big wow.

As for storage capacity - since when is that a major selling point for the general population? Do you think people care how many Gb of storage their movie disk has? If so, you are sadly mistaken. For a home audio/video setup people care about price, quality and features. Bluray is expensive, the quality difference is marginal in most peoples' home setups and the features are nothing new.

And what does storage capacity have to do with the 360? And wha benefit do you propose that it serves? They're not going to release any games on Bluray so extra storage capacity serves no benefit whatsoever. Hell, that extra storage space hasn't even really benefited the PS3. Plain old DVD has better compression techniques, and it hasn't held developers back yet.

If increased storage capacity is the best selling point that BluRay has, then I don't have high hopes for it, lol. As I said DVDs brought a *LOT* of new things to the table.. Bluray brings very little.

Dammit I wish I'd done my research :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

• resvsdist.jpg
    resvsdist.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
System Name The Money Sink
Processor Intel i7-5960X at 4.60Ghz
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike
Cooling Custom watercooling loop, single D5 -> CPU, dual D5 -> GPU's
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) 2 x 1080Ti @ Stock for the moment (40oC LOAD)
Storage 960GB Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe and 2 x 512GB M.2 SSD RAID0
Display(s) Dual Curved LG 34" Display
Power Supply EVGA 1600W G2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores ALOT
Why does MS need the X360 to have BluRay if it already has online movie capability?? I don't see the fact that the PS3 doesn't have this option being a problem for sony... Fact is that the 360 has many options that others don't offer without the need for a BD.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
What on earth are you on about?

Thank for putting words into my mouth :slap:

Viewing distance - yes I have seen it and it isn't hugely impressive. Thanks for your incorrect assumptions. Average people can barely tell the difference and they don't see anything wrong with DVD quality. See the attached diagram.

Yes, there *is* a difference in quality, but if people thought it was significant then BluRay would have caught on by now. Using the examples I mentioned earlier (40 inch TV, across the room distance (say 10-15 feet), the difference is barely noticeable. Certainly nothing like the VHS vs DVD comparison I used. VHS had tracking problems, grainyness, you couldn't pause it without horizontal lines. The tapes would wear and tear or just break, you had to fast-forward/rewind etc etc etc. VHS o DVD was a massive jump. BluRay brings a slightly better picture quality... big wow.

As for storage capacity - since when is that a major selling point for the general population? Do you think people care how many Gb of storage their movie disk has? If so, you are sadly mistaken. For a home audio/video setup people care about price, quality and features. Bluray is expensive, the quality difference is marginal in most peoples' home setups and the features are nothing new.

And what does storage capacity have to do with the 360? And wha benefit do you propose that it serves? They're not going to release any games on Bluray so extra storage capacity serves no benefit whatsoever. Hell, that extra storage space hasn't even really benefited the PS3. Plain old DVD has better compression techniques, and it hasn't held developers back yet.

If increased storage capacity is the best selling point that BluRay has, then I don't have high hopes for it, lol. As I said DVDs brought a *LOT* of new things to the table.. Bluray brings very little.

Dammit I wish I'd done my research :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol, lots of opinion that could have been condensed...

In terms of HD equipment, the whole market isn't going to flood to HD right now just because there is something new out. It's simply to expensive. Right now it's the early adopters that are making up the market share. Furthermore, this is identical to the trends of VHS.

Were talking Blu-ray for a gaming console. Gaming consoles play games that require huge storage capacities, especially next gen games. Before you know it, you'll start getting 3 discs for an xbox game while the same won't hold true for the 360 counter part. The benefit is obvious in more ways than one. Textures will increase as will other graphical aspects of games in general. In terms of a game such as MGS4, there is 50GB of data on a dual layer (and kojima was disappointed with that because he wanted better textures.) Graphically intensive cross platform games are becoming shorter due in part to storage limitations on DVD-9.

In terms of movies, I don't think anything needs to be said here if you've actually done your research. Additionally nice picture there buddy, but that doesn't mean you've actually done your research because you can simply find a picture! (images.google.com)

HP_dudeman

System Name The custom one
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard ECS RD480-A939
Cooling amd
Memory 512mb ddr
Video Card(s) mx4000
Storage 160gb
Display(s) compaq presario mv700
Case powmax
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply idk
Software xp pro
haha...

people are always like MY 360 PWNS UR PS3 BEEYOTCH! but i tell them ps3 is better for reasons:
1. i can throw ubuntu on it
2. i can use blu-ray
3. sony's online is free, whereas you gotta pay for xbl

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
we must not forget that blue ray allows games to use a signifcantly larger amount of space.. allowing the game to be packaged with more features and the like. also the sales of blu ray STANDALONE players is slow because loads of people have ps3s and ps3's come with blu ray. i have yet to know a person who bought a blu ray player.. i know loads of people that buy ps3s because they are almost the same price as a good blu ray player and ps3s come with gaming as well. now i wonder why ps3 sales are rising without that many games being released and why blu ray standalone players have never really sold well.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
cars had a tiny market share compared to horses when they first came out.
this made my day

now back on topic

saying that blu ray doesn't look any better is like saying my 65" 1080P mitsu DLP looks no better than my uncles 65" 1080i mitsu RP sure joe schmo can't tell but anyone with eyes will say hey 1080p is one hell of alot crisper looking than 1080i now lets apply that to DVD vs BR hmm 480P vs 1080P......i wonder which will be better looking? you know the people that say it looks no better probably sit 15ft back from there 40" 1st gen LCD sets that only do 720P :roll: nothing will look any different on those

Davidelmo

Cooling Titan Fenrir
Software Win7 beta
Lol, lots of opinion that could have been condensed...

Felt that I had to repeat myself a bit because nothing seems to sink in with you. But I do feel I'm wasting my time with someone who is in the "PS3 clubhouse" and links a biased, anti-microsoft article in his sig that sounds like it was written by a high school student. :rolleyes:

In terms of HD equipment, the whole market isn't going to flood to HD right now just because there is something new out. It's simply to expensive. Right now it's the early adopters that are making up the market share. Furthermore, this is identical to the trends of VHS.

Something new? Bluray has been around for years now. And guess what - if more people bought it, the price would come down. Supply and demand.. ever heard of it? Guess why the price stays high?

Were talking Blu-ray for a gaming console. Gaming consoles play games that require huge storage capacities, especially next gen games. Before you know it, you'll start getting 3 discs for an xbox game while the same won't hold true for the 360 counter part. The benefit is obvious in more ways than one. Textures will increase as will other graphical aspects of games in general. In terms of a game such as MGS4, there is 50GB of data on a dual layer (and kojima was disappointed with that because he wanted better textures.) Graphically intensive cross platform games are becoming shorter due in part to storage limitations on DVD-9.

Bluray for a gaming console has had no benefit so far. Plus, compression techniques for DVD are better. GTA4 reportedly compressed over 20Gb onto a single DVD.

Besides, if the BluRay drive is an addon for the 360, microsoft aren't going to release games which use it. They won't even let companies use hard drives to install files (because not all 360 owners have hard drives)- they're certainly not going to condone BluRay games which only hit a small fraction of people who buy the addon. Therefore your point is completely irellevant - any BluRay addon for the 360 will be solely for waching movies and not playing games.

In terms of movies, I don't think anything needs to be said here if you've actually done your research. Additionally nice picture there buddy, but that doesn't mean you've actually done your research because you can simply find a picture! (images.google.com)

Shame you haven't (read - "can't") refute anything I said.

BluRay bring nothing new to the table. Consumers couldn't care less about storage capacity. Quality difference is negligible for most people on normal sized TVs in normal sized living rooms.

HP_dudeman

System Name The custom one
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard ECS RD480-A939
Cooling amd
Memory 512mb ddr
Video Card(s) mx4000
Storage 160gb
Display(s) compaq presario mv700
Case powmax
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply idk
Software xp pro
Consumers couldn't care less about storage capacity

i care about capacity.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
BluRay bring nothing new to the table. Consumers couldn't care less about storage capacity. Quality difference is negligible for most people on normal sized TVs in normal sized living rooms.

This sums up your ignorance, and I won't continue to argue with someone who pushes false ideas and believes what he/she wants to believe. Lol I would love to take some pictures for you of side by side TVs, but I just don't think that would do you justice.

In reality all you are arguing is opinion.

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
haha...

people are always like MY 360 PWNS UR PS3 BEEYOTCH! but i tell them ps3 is better for reasons:
1. i can throw ubuntu on it
2. i can use blu-ray
3. sony's online is free, whereas you gotta pay for xbl

Thanks for confirming that your a fan boy, thanks.

we must not forget that blue ray allows games to use a signifcantly larger amount of space.. allowing the game to be packaged with more features and the like.

Very true, however not many games on PS3 or 360 (if any) have needed the additional storage capacity that Blue Ray or HD DVD offers - We could go another few years using dual layer DVDs before the need for Blue Ray becomes a necessity.

i have yet to know a person who bought a blu ray player.. i know loads of people that buy ps3s because they are almost the same price as a good blu ray player and ps3s come with gaming as well

Perhaps on PS3's initial launch however Blue-Ray players have since come down in price, it's actually cheaper currently (in the UK) to buy a separate Blue-Ray player and Xbox 360 than to buy a PS3.

i care about capacity.

Why do you care, are you a part of the development team, how does the capacity influence your enjoyment of the game/movie? I'm at a loss here. Do you find games more fun if their is an extra 20 GB of unused space? YAY this game is soo much fun because EA didn't fill up the disk.

Consumers do care about capacity when it comes to the future of burning music and video on blu-rays. Capacity is a key issue of DVD-9 and Blu-Ray blanks.

I really don't know what makes you people believe that consumers don't care about capacity.

Indeed in this situation capacity matters, I cant wait to back up my entire MP3 collection on a few discs, however for the average console gamer burning discs isn't a priority. Until PS3 or Xbox have capabilities of burning media this argument is exempt.
Yes, a current gen game such as MGS4 is said to take up 50GB of space on one dual layer blu-ray disc.

MGS4 is one game, do you think it's ethical to base an entire argument around MGS4. MGS4 isn't exactly the definition of gaming. Again do you think it's ethical to base an argument on a game which isn't out? If this is true it would mean that Blue-Ray would need to be replaced as soon as possible since 50 GB isn't enough to accommodate MGS4

Last edited: