• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Age of conan

A

Azazel

yeah people are blinded by hate :) level 1-20 is a basic tut to the game :p once ya love tortage it will feel more like an mmo :) but you can continue the destiny quests if you want :)

echo75

System Name Main
Processor Q6700 @ 3.5Ghz (with 1.50 Vcore)
Motherboard P5K
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283 (amazing performance)
Memory Corsair 800mhz 4GB @ 864mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 8800GT@ 720/1800/2100,blue Pcb with 92cm Glaciator cooler(4870 still under testing)
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA , 500GB eSATA
Display(s) LG Flatron 19"
Case Antec Designer (modded)
Power Supply Corsair VX 550W
Software Win XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 = 15,253 for 8800GT, 3Dmark06 = 15,807 for HD 4870
A

Azazel

em i will have one in a couple weeks when the buddy system opens up. its closed so far s o people can settle down into the game first :)

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I am sorry, this made me giggle. Nice to meet ya, signed the gaming housewife. Not sure what ya mean by Desperate, been gaming a hell of alot longer then I've been a housewife. (Started out on pen and papers, gmed rifts for a while, Played Shadowrun, Vampire: The Masquerade of course, ) Played EQ pretty hard core (Erudite Ench in an end game raid guild), Played a Permakill game beta wont list the name, someone might accuse me of being a perv. I own a PS3, a PSP, Rockband, Guitar hero, all the FF series, WoW 3 acct's 5 70s, Play Warhawk, Motorstorm, Lair, Halo, Granturismo, etc. One Can be a housewife and a serious gamer. Only thing I am desperate for right now, is a my computer parts, and b a new game to play. More kiddies to kill, or laugh at in vent when they hear me talk.

The fact that it made you felt the need to tell us otherwise, pretty much solidifies my point ; oh and the 'giggle' too :)

Nice resume; I'm sure it's helped make you a wonderful spouse.

================

The more you travel in AOC if you can even call it that; the more dissapointed you become.

There's a difference between instancing, and a terrible lack of seamlesness.
We all accept that instancing open zones has it's pros and cons.

It aggrivates me however, that basically the main way to travel is by boat, to some region, which isn't even far far away across an ocean. Everyone travels the same. You cannot 'explore.' It's as if every zone has a strict purpose in that it provides quests for a level gap, and then you leave, probably to not return for a long while, if ever. You move from one spot to the next, having to boat or 'zone' numerous times to get around.

Take Khemi for example. When you get there you can clearly see land and objects in the distance. Try swimming to them. Oh err what's that..a nice invisible wall. Not in the middle of the ocean, but right there in the middle of a populated area. So swim north, you'll eventually make it to some land. And then run around it..you'll find lovely tiled textures and sudden drops into the floor/world. It's entirely unfinished. The map shows(when zooming out, or using the world) map, that there's a whole continent to traverse, yet you reach the ends of the local map, and it's nothing but water all around... ???

I'd much rather have less out door zones for larger ones, with more instanced dungeons, than a bunch of small outdoor zones that touch each other physically, but require you to travel completely out of your way, and take a different path, simply because they couldn't be bothered to code it. Hell, I'd even take going back to old EQ 1 where you zoned into an invisible line; at least that was more seamless.

And ya, the so called 'dynamic' combat is really getting tiresome. As much as I like the idea of having to actually TRY at an MMO, it's becoming an uneventful and boring chore more than anything.

Whoever said it before, yes, they never can get an MMO right. Here's to hoping Bethseda's Elder Scrolls MMO actually works.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
em i will have one in a couple weeks when the buddy system opens up. its closed so far s o people can settle down into the game first :)

What is the buddy system? One thing that should be implemented: If you are the group leader in a group, you should have the power to teleport any group member to yourself (in non-combat situations). I hope this is a part of the "buddy system".

================

The more you travel in AOC if you can even call it that; the more dissapointed you become.

It aggrivates me however, that basically the main way to travel is by boat, to some region, which isn't even far far away across an ocean. Everyone travels the same. You cannot 'explore.' It's as if every zone has a strict purpose in that it provides quests for a level gap, and then you leave, probably to not return for a long while, if ever. You move from one spot to the next, having to boat or 'zone' numerous times to get around.

Take Khemi for example. When you get there you can clearly see land and objects in the distance. Try swimming to them. Oh err what's that..a nice invisible wall. Not in the middle of the ocean, but right there in the middle of a populated area. So swim north, you'll eventually make it to some land. And then run around it..you'll find lovely tiled textures and sudden drops into the floor/world. It's entirely unfinished. The map shows(when zooming out, or using the world) map, that there's a whole continent to traverse, yet you reach the ends of the local map, and it's nothing but water all around... ???

I'd much rather have less out door zones for larger ones, with more instanced dungeons, than a bunch of small outdoor zones that touch each other physically, but require you to travel completely out of your way, and take a different path, simply because they couldn't be bothered to code it. Hell, I'd even take going back to old EQ 1 where you zoned into an invisible line; at least that was more seamless.

And ya, the so called 'dynamic' combat is really getting tiresome. As much as I like the idea of having to actually TRY at an MMO, it's becoming an uneventful and boring chore more than anything.

Whoever said it before, yes, they never can get an MMO right. Here's to hoping Bethseda's Elder Scrolls MMO actually works.

I agree, though I guess I'm not as dissapointed. I had very low expectations for this game, which I guess turned out to be a good thing for me. I figure I'll save the exploring for when I reach some higher levels.

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus p5w DH Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Andy Samurai, 4x80mm silenx, 2x120mm silenx fans
Memory 2x2gb G.Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) xfx black edition 6870
Storage 250gb seagate sata, 2x250gb seagate perp (raid0)
Display(s) dell 24"
Case Coolermaster atc s4000 sx-1
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy2 Platinum
Power Supply Antec True Power Trio 650w
Software winXP pro x64
I couldn't agree with Newconroer more.

My latest best combo move requires me to:
-activate the combo/attack, which invariably starts as a gimp swing of the weapon (making any potential pvp ganking targets aware of me BEFORE I can unlease said uber move)
-then press UL UL UL UR M M M attack, or 1 1 1 3 2 2 2 to get it off. Sometimes pressing the buttons too fast cancels out the combo (but I still have to wait for the combo to recharge) and sometimes the "combo" window that shows the arrow buttons comes up after I've already jammed half the buttons

hardly dynamic...not to mention that every few levels the combo buttons mashing orders totally change for the next tier versions of the EXACT SAME combo

sorry, I play PC MMOs because i hate the stupid buttonmashing of consoles

and to boot, I can't even access the forums with my correct login info to complain properly

A

Azazel

What is the buddy system? One thing that should be implemented: If you are the group leader in a group, you should have the power to teleport any group member to yourself (in non-combat situations). I hope this is a part of the "buddy system".

buddy system is basically a trial key. which will give your friends acess to the game for a limited period of time :)

echo75

System Name Main
Processor Q6700 @ 3.5Ghz (with 1.50 Vcore)
Motherboard P5K
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283 (amazing performance)
Memory Corsair 800mhz 4GB @ 864mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 8800GT@ 720/1800/2100,blue Pcb with 92cm Glaciator cooler(4870 still under testing)
Storage Seagate 250GB SATA , 500GB eSATA
Display(s) LG Flatron 19"
Case Antec Designer (modded)
Power Supply Corsair VX 550W
Software Win XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 = 15,253 for 8800GT, 3Dmark06 = 15,807 for HD 4870

hehe, that sounds familier ;) thats Warlock summons in World of warcraft.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I have problems accessing their forums as well...sort of frustrating, good game otherwise

A

Azazel

did you create a forum user name and password. cos you have to make one. its not the same as your game user name and password

vampyres

More giggling, so sexist comments that elicit response are proof of your original position of implying that somehow housewives alone are desperate if they are gamers? What? Am I supposed to watch soap operas, and quilt like a good little housewife? Perhaps you could stereotype my gender and marital status some more. Want to make hasty generalizations about a gender etc. expect response dearie.

I hate to inform you of this, but Transsexuals, housewives, females, gays, teenagers, all play video games for there own reasons, and often those reasons are the same as the ones you have for playing the same video games. Actually the base reason is normally the same, we like “shocked look” gaming.

And I am going to cry, /wipes away a tear, you tried to insult my wifely skills. :p Now you have chuckles and caustic sarcasm.

The fact that it made you felt the need to tell us otherwise, pretty much solidifies my point ; oh and the 'giggle' too :)

Nice resume; I'm sure it's helped make you a wonderful spouse.

================

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
More giggling, so sexist comments that elicit response are proof of your original position of implying that somehow housewives alone are desperate if they are gamers? What? Am I supposed to watch soap operas, and quilt like a good little housewife? Perhaps you could stereotype my gender and marital status some more. Want to make hasty generalizations about a gender etc. expect response dearie.

I hate to inform you of this, but Transsexuals, housewives, females, gays, teenagers, all play video games for there own reasons, and often those reasons are the same as the ones you have for playing the same video games. Actually the base reason is normally the same, we like “shocked look” gaming.

And I am going to cry, /wipes away a tear, you tried to insult my wifely skills. :p Now you have chuckles and caustic sarcasm.

See that door there..? It leads outside. Do you know what's outside? Have you almost forgotten?

Despite your apparent dislike of me, you should trust me on this.

GO OUTSIDE, I PROMISE, IT'S "OP!"
===============================

I'm still running into the late loading texture issue. Seems it's inevitable at higher resolutions.
I've determined that increasing the system memory texture cache is a bad idea. You may gain a slight FPS increase, but I cannot stand late loading textures so..I'll sacrifice if need be.

Other than that...not sure what else can be done. Looks like it's down to the new video cards to make the difference.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
guys and girls, relax, no need to show your different opinions, we all have them....

back to the topic:
I don't really have late loadings, but the NUMBER ONE thing that you must do is turn off particles at all. yes, it will impact the gameplay significantly, but it is such FPS booster :D

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Display(s) dell 24"
Software winXP pro x64
weird, I have an 8800gt, every setting maxxed and I get 50-60 fps pretty much everywhere

I just went back to playing a bit last night after a few days off...the buttonmashing isn't so bad for PvE but I think it's a pretty crummy PvP game

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
I just went back to playing a bit last night after a few days off...the buttonmashing isn't so bad for PvE but I think it's a pretty crummy PvP game

yeah, they were saying it a while ago that pvp still needs work

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Display(s) dell 24"
Software winXP pro x64
Yeah I think the pvp system (as far as server-wide PvP goes) is crap. Dunno what they can do about it though, as the core mechanic of the combat system is what makes it so terrible.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I haven't gotten into PvP yet, been playing PvE and I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

vampyres

More assumptions and more :laugh:, I garden, camp, fish, hike, build things including the house I live in, operate heavy equipment, jet ski, boat, Off road. Nope haven't forgotten the outside :p Actually I am rather fond of it outside :laugh: And no, I don't hate you or even dislike you, I unlike you don't assume to know you. I just know what you're saying and its A. not true, and B. Generally annoying.

See that door there..? It leads outside. Do you know what's outside? Have you almost forgotten?

Despite your apparent dislike of me, you should trust me on this.

GO OUTSIDE, I PROMISE, IT'S "OP!"
===============================

I'm still running into the late loading texture issue. Seems it's inevitable at higher resolutions.
I've determined that increasing the system memory texture cache is a bad idea. You may gain a slight FPS increase, but I cannot stand late loading textures so..I'll sacrifice if need be.

Other than that...not sure what else can be done. Looks like it's down to the new video cards to make the difference.

System Name GAMING BEAST
Processor i7 920
Motherboard EVGA X58 SLi
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P 120mm
Memory 6gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6850
Storage 2x640gb WD AALS Matrix RAID 0/RAID 5 (180mb/s, 7.2ms Access)
Display(s) Acer X233Hbd 23" Monitor (1920x1080)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair TX-750
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 (9600gt): 12,567 3DMark06 (HD4870): 16,587 3DMarkVantage: P4740
Got the game a few days ago and I've hardly stopped playing! :rockout:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah I think the pvp system (as far as server-wide PvP goes) is crap. Dunno what they can do about it though, as the core mechanic of the combat system is what makes it so terrible.

Indeed a core mechanic. Unfortunatley core mechanics rarely get changed, or at least rebuilt. If you consider the only safe place for developers to do such things, would be on test servers.
They'd be putting probably 50% resources into redoing the mechanics, of which first started with 50% resources having to either strip the application down, or start again. Effectively you're damn near starting a whole new project.
Whether they'd be interested or not, economics and deadlines dictate otherwise.

AOC is what it is, and for the most part will stay that way until it fades away one day.

Putting that aside, I wanted to comment some more regarding video settings (these can be found now edited into the old information posted on page 10 of this thread).

It seems that(and this is confirmed elsewhere) the preset settings labeled 'low' 'medium' 'high,' have inherent/built in features/code that are not listed and/or adjustable to the end user. These settings, at this point, can hinder more than help. Reports are coming in from many places, that simply setting your preset to 'high,' and then making advanced adjustments will offer better performance and naturally better visuals than a 'low' or 'medium' setting.

I also wanted to touch back on my recommend visual setup several pages back.

I finally was able to get my brain in gear and sort out why 'low quality visual' slider never seemed to make a difference when adjusted. The purpose that feature is to render unshaded, low res long range textures, when and ONLY when your view distance range (from the basic video options) is turned low. The purpose of this is allow people who cannot afford (performance wise) to run really high view distance, yet still get some long range textures.

Basically it's the equivilant of having long range view distance with normal rendering, except beyond the set view distance, you see the low quality rendering. It's easy to test. Just turn your view distance down low, and the low quality slider up.

For those that run a long or high view distance setting, you can put the low quality visuals to 0, as they'll never display.

I haven't sorted out how to force or stop some really long range textures from only rendering when the focus or angle of your view is turned. I.e. you look straight ahead, no texture in the distance, turn your camera slightly and it renders. I forget what that's officially called, but it's bloody archaeic programming at this point. However, if you have your view distance on 3500, take it down quite a bit. It seems 3500 causes some anomalies and does not render the distances it should. I actually see more at less value(s). And on most outdoor maps, 2500 might be more than enough.

To take this a bit further - there's two schools of thought here.

A) If you're the type of person that does not like seeing long distance rendering when you turn the camera(as mentioned above), then you need to lower the view distance until no more rendering occurs when changing your view angle(turning etc.) When doing this you want to have the low res quality slider in advanced options at 0, and to find a particular specific distance on the view distance slider where what you see is what you get. If you lower it, but it's still too high, you'll get rendering, and worse, it will be in very low quality, where you'll get lots of 'fog' or particularly green mountains that are an eye sore.

B) You set your view distance as high as you wish (but not too high, to avoid anomalies) and suffer the unavoidable rendering when changing your view angle.

The former allows you to not have to see the rendering in real time, and also can increase framerate. The latter ensures that you'll always get whatever the game will give you, but also possibly suffer a performance hit as well as potential anomalies.

High quality density slider seems absolutley ineffective after 60-70% for most people, and in some cases I didn't notice any difference between 0 and 100%. It's as if it does nothing...except, make things like trees render clearer or more 'fine' at a longer range.

Particles apparently also effect more than just spells. If you stand at a high elevation and change the setting, you may find that you see things like campfires, smoke, dust etc. from a longer range. Adjust this at your own discretion.

NPC high quality range seems to revert back to max often without you making any adjustments. It also doesn't seem to have any relevance on when or where the high res body/armor textures load.

Likewise, having little effect, is the NPC view distance. You can set it to max, and NPCs still 'pop-up' quite close to you; however if too low, you will notice a lack of NPCs in outdoor areas. A setting of 200m is probably more than enough.

Parallex mapping does make a visual difference, if you can afford to do so, use it.

The coding blunder surrounding anti-aliasing, may not be much of a blunder, but rather that the GPU is getting taxed at an approprate ratio to that of the CPU. For most 8800 generation cards, a setting of 16x may make no performance difference compared to that of 4x. However 8q or 16q overlay will create some performance degredation. Some users have reported better FPS using 8x over 4x and etc.

Anisotropic filtering is indeed noticeably the best. However after a setting of four, a difference can no longer be seen; at least on later model GPUs.

Using medium resolution shadows and a 3d occlusion setting of 'low,' can result in a few FPS gain, with visually no difference when using SM 3.0

Late loading textures happens more often in cities. It's hard to determine whether this is a by design fail safe, to take stress off the hardware, or a coding issue. However, the fact that alt-tabbing serves as a work-around, suggests the latter.

You can adjust settings via the prefs_2.xml found in your Age of Conan settings folder, though 99% of the visual code there, is the same as what is offered in the game menus.
Sometimes when zoning, settings can get changed without you being aware. This is a known and reported bug. You can set the file to 'read only' to help ensure this does not happen, or after a patch/update. Yet a few of the setting will revert/change regardless.

More assumptions and more :laugh:, I garden, camp, fish, hike, build things including the house I live in, operate heavy equipment, jet ski, boat, Off road. Nope haven't forgotten the outside :p Actually I am rather fond of it outside :laugh: And no, I don't hate you or even dislike you, I unlike you don't assume to know you. I just know what you're saying and its A. not true, and B. Generally annoying.

Your still here..'defending' yourself...you've long past proven my point. Now you're just becoming a spectacle.

Last edited:
Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Display(s) dell 24"
Software winXP pro x64
The oddest thing I've noted graphicallyis that if I change the "gamma" setting in any way the game stutters and becomes virtually unplayable. Might be just my system, I have no idea.

Gamma 0% and everything runs pretty well 50-60 fps
Gamma 1%-100% fps drops to 8-12

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
The oddest thing I've noted graphicallyis that if I change the "gamma" setting in any way the game stutters and becomes virtually unplayable. Might be just my system, I have no idea.

Gamma 0% and everything runs pretty well 50-60 fps
Gamma 1%-100% fps drops to 8-12

heh, i adjusted gamma, so i will need to check t out
thx

D

Duxx

What do you guys think of the new workings they posted this morning. Re-doing the way FFA pvp is (cant blame them). More quests for 30's and 50's (doesnt help me now that im 60 :() But nice none the less. Increase end game fixing bugs more Customer service, etc etc. I am very excited to see these things come into effect. Yes they promised a lot at start, but who doesn't. Nothing ever works out perfectly and as long as they are listening to feedback and adapting the game around the players, im all for it and will continue to play.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Well, I'm glad that they are working :)
I don't have as much free time as i thought I would ... so, i'm level 44 right now

Processor q6700 @ 3.2ghz
Display(s) dell 24"
Software winXP pro x64
I've been lvl28 for some time now, don't really have a motivation to level when I look at my questlog and it's all "bring this here, bring that there" and "kill X and return" missions...

I had really high hopes for different core game mechanics than W0W redux.
Funcom did some really great stuff with Anarchy Online. While they slowly lost the initial concept of wide-scale factional PvP, they were always trying to reinvent the game with unique content, some that worked and some that didn't. But love it or not, if you've played it you'd know that there was nothing else like it.