• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will a PCI Express card work in a PCI Riser Cage?

mattwd

Hi, newbie here.

I have a PCI Express Dialogic card that I put into a Proliant server. I have to put it into the PCI Riser Cage due to the lack of PCI-E slots on board. The Dialogic software won't recognize the card...does anyone know if a PCI-E card will work on a riser cage/expansion card or does it have to plug directly into the mom-board? Also, it looks like the Riser Cage itself is PCI, not PCI-E, but HP claims it will still support PCI-E/X cards. Any advice for me?

Thanks a tonnn!!!!!!!
Matt

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
Do you have images or links of this? I'm intrigued.

Hi, newbie here.

I have a PCI Express Dialogic card that I put into a Proliant server. I have to put it into the PCI Riser Cage due to the lack of PCI-E slots on board. The Dialogic software won't recognize the card...does anyone know if a PCI-E card will work on a riser cage/expansion card or does it have to plug directly into the mom-board? Also, it looks like the Riser Cage itself is PCI, not PCI-E, but HP claims it will still support PCI-E/X cards. Any advice for me?

Thanks a tonnn!!!!!!!
Matt

If the riser has PCIe slots it should work. Does the riser require any additional power? ie is there a Molex connector on it or something?