• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows "Mojave" Experiment Video

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
I just wish they'd shut up to be honest.

I try to sympathize for a time (as Im sure you do) but as we all (almost...) agree the time for leniency with Vista is past, the people who complain about it are either trying to do something non standard, something with legacy hardware/software, or something with networking. Networking is one of the only areas I think they still need to work on as I have had problems with networking that seem to have no cause. I am just getting exasperated with hearing the same complaints over and over again that seem to have no validity.

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I try to sympathize for a time (as Im sure you do) but as we all (almost...) agree the time for leniency with Vista is past, the people who complain about it are either trying to do something non standard, something with legacy hardware/software, or something with networking. Networking is one of the only areas I think they still need to work on as I have had problems with networking that seem to have no cause. I am just getting exasperated with hearing the same complaints over and over again that seem to have no validity.

I agree, they do need to sort the networking out, but everything else runs either the same, or better on Vista as it did for me on XP x64. I see absolutely no reason to ever go back, and the people who complain either haven't used Vista since SP1, or are running a PC that just isn't powerful enough to run Vista.

I've tweaked Vista quite a bit, but no more than I did with XP, so I don't see that as being a big issue.

B1gg3stN00b

System Name Free Rig/Compaq Laptop
Processor E6750/Turion X2 1.9ghz
Motherboard EVGA 680i SLI/Quanta EA30
Cooling Random big fans!
Memory 8GB Geil Black Dragon/2GB G-Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) Nvidia 8800GTS/Nvidia 7000M - Hauppage PCIX TV Tuner
Storage 250gb SATA WD/120gb internal Samsung SATA
Display(s) ASUS 21.5" 1080P monitor
Case Raidmax Smilodon/Regular
Audio Device(s) Stock into 2.1 Altec Lansing Rig
Power Supply Cooler Master 650W/12 cell HP battery
Software Vista Ult. 64 Bit, Ubuntu 64 Bit 8.10/Vista Ult. 32 Bit, Ubuntu 8.04 32
I have 4Gb of RAM, I'm sat here with superfethc running, Opera, IE, Windows Live Messenger and Mail. As well as a video conversion software running at full tilt and I'm using 48% of my physical memory.

What is the f***ing point of buying 8Gb of RAM and then complaining about an OS that uses 1Gb of it? Recently I've had a look into the "belly of the beast" as it were, with a forum of idiots still running P3 systems complaining that a BROWSER game was too high-detail and that they shouldn't have to upgrade to play it, and that the only OS worth using is linux because it doesn't tax their system.

Technology has moves on so quickly that there will always be people who get "left behind" but that happens no matter what it is, new cars, houses absolutely everything. There will always be people running "last decades" stuff. It's a fact of life, I just wish they'd shut up to be honest.
8gb RAM, what I wouldn't do for that much...

I'm the king multitasker, haha, me wants.

System Name MSI apache ge62 2qd
Processor intel i7 5700HQ
Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Just upgrading to vista just for browsing and office is pointless when Xp does the job well. Linux doesn't catch spyware and virus too, why don't you use it for a download machine if you are so worried about it.
I've used Vista and I don't say it's bad but it takes up a lot of hard disk space and utilizes a lot of resources.
My Xp system hasn't been destroyed by a virus for almost two years now.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Just upgrading to vista just for browsing and office is pointless when Xp does the job well. Linux doesn't catch spyware and virus too, why don't you use it for a download machine if you are so worried about it.
I've used Vista and I don't say it's bad but it takes up a lot of hard disk space and utilizes a lot of resources.
My Xp system hasn't been destroyed by a virus for almost two years now.

Im not upset with people not upgrading im upset people bitch about it and dont want to buy a computer with Vista on it or even buying a mac because they think they hate vista. It is my personal opinion that nontech savvy people should not upgrade versions of windows ever because they do not know what they are doing and will not get the desired experience from there upgrade (They do not upgrade there hardware with Windows). They should buy completely new computers.

PS- The Crazy Picture thread died? gay.

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
Software Vista Ult. 64 Bit, Ubuntu 64 Bit 8.10/Vista Ult. 32 Bit, Ubuntu 8.04 32
Then again Windows XP on a Windows 95 machine also takes up a lot of hard disk space and utilizes a lot of resources.

Also, my experience with BUYING new computers has been bad.

Upon purchasing this computer it took 30 minutes alone to start up because of HP's pre-installed BS.

Not only that but they had Vista optimized for full graphics and whatnot with the graphics card set to 64mb and only 1gb memory stock.

It was painful.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Then again Windows XP on a Windows 95 machine also takes up a lot of hard disk space and utilizes a lot of resources.

Upon purchasing this computer it took 30 minutes alone to start up because of HP's pre-installed BS.

Not only that but they had Vista optimized for full graphics and whatnot with the graphics card set to 64mb and only 1gb memory stock.

It was painful.

At least the hardware is more suitable to the task. If someone walks into best buy and says im only willing to spend $150 and I want Vista that 16 year old kid is going to sell him Vista and promise him its going to at least work, that ignorant man is going to drive home, install it, and experience shit because his 'Windows XP Certified' Computer with 512mb of ram a Celeron Processor and an 80Gb harddrive is not happy with his purchase.

Cooling Corsair H70
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510

It was painful.

Thank you. Every new OS that comes a long is going to be bigger, badder and harder on your hardware, but at the same time your hardware should have got bigger, badder and more powerful. If it hasn't you're making the wrong decision upgrading to a newer OS.

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
Eh, kinda worked against what I was trying to say, but then at the same time I was unintentionally proving a point.

Yeah, Vista is heavy on resources, but if you can find a computer to run it well? It's a damn gem!

System Name Fedora-bluesky
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard Asus 970A Pro Gaming
Cooling Noctua U14S
Memory Kingston 2x8192MB 667MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 960TI
Storage 2 x WD RED 2TB, 64GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 24"
Software Ubuntu, Fedora, Open Source Software...
Whats everyone's fetish with low memory usage :confused: Its not like you lose many fps when your playing games if any tbh. ...snip...

He he... It's easy for you to say (4 GB of RAM?). :( Have you tried playing with Vista on only 1GB of RAM? :rolleyes:

On low power systems XP is better choice than Vista.

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
Good point again.

Vista on 1gb is painful, and most hardware on new laptops isn't even optimized to run XP.

When running XP, I had to trick it into recognizing my wireless adapter/sound card, so everytime I boot onto my XP partition I have to use control panel to access the WAV sound, which in turn controls overall volume, master volume doing nothing. Not only that but it still says my wireless adapter is off, according the the adapter light/switch, but I've tricked it into recognizing it using TinyXP's force driver install.

So it's a tad impractical using XP on this machine (but I do get consistantly higher framerates in CS:S!)

rflair

System Name Main PC
Processor Intel Q9550@3.83GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E
Cooling Thermalright TRU120
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) ATI 4890@940/1100
Storage 3.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Dell, 42" Sharp Aquos
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy ZS
Power Supply PC P&C 860
Software Windows 7 SP1 x64
You need to watch your language.
Your so called linux zealot is most probably a person who had been using windows for a greater time in his life and then shifted to windows.
Can you point out what is it that is wrong in the quote?
Have you seen the videos on the website?
One of them says that Vista is much faster than Xp. Can you honestly tell me than on a same machine Vista is much faster than Xp on the same machine?
Tell me what Os would you prefer for a download machine
A very resource hungry Os which puts a lot of load on your system or a light weight system capable of running on System's which are very old?

Gee I don't know, maybe its the guy saying over time you are sure to find gaping holes in Vista, or maybe how he clearly distrusts MS in the last sentence, 'oh no big business is watching my pathetic life syndrome'.

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
*Still has yet to find any gaping holes in Vista except the fact that Simtower and a webcam did not work on it*

However Simtower, released in '94, was made to run on:
"Platform(s) 68k-based Macs, Mac OS 9, Windows 3.x, Windows 95 and higher."

What can I say? I like my ancient games ;) It's super fun!

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
He he... It's easy for you to say (4 GB of RAM?). :( Have you tried playing with Vista on only 1GB of RAM? :rolleyes:

On low power systems XP is better choice than Vista.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I hope im breaking rules here

Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Im not upset with people not upgrading im upset people bitch about it and dont want to buy a computer with Vista on it or even buying a mac because they think they hate vista. It is my personal opinion that nontech savvy people should not upgrade versions of windows ever because they do not know what they are doing and will not get the desired experience from there upgrade (They do not upgrade there hardware with Windows). They should buy completely new computers.

PS- The Crazy Picture thread died? gay.
MS is partly to blame because with the advertising and people think they must get Vista.
I agree with the nontech savvy people shouldn't upgrade but in some cases it becomes a must where the software they need to and have to use only works with later versions of windows.
The crazy picture thread died because of some of the users constant disregard to the mod's warnings.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
MS is partly to blame because with the advertising and people think they must get Vista.
I agree with the nontech savvy people shouldn't upgrade but in some cases it becomes a must where the software they need to and have to use only works with later versions of windows.

Thats when upgrading hardware should become 1st priority. I know. People cant afford to upgrade all the time. I dont know what to say, its been a year since vista came out, if people cant afford 2gigs of ram and a modern processor...how are they going to afford Vista anyway?

The crazy picture thread died because of some of the users constant disregard to the mod's warnings.

I looked it up, its to bad, it was a good place to go every once and a while for a light mood.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I bitch about vista all the time and I think I have the right too, I bought vista ultimate and got nothing but rsod's with my tuner so I went back to xp mce, tried it on my laptop which meets the requirements and it never worked even once, after boot, black screen, so yea I bitch about it, and its not because of low system requirements on my C2Q system on my desktop and X2 on my laptop, thats bs

If I could get it running on my laptop I would run it though

alot of people say that you only need ram and a good cpu but thats not true because of the driver problems with vista, 1 driver problem and your vista experience will be hell and thats from my personal experience

Cooling Corsair H70
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
I bitch about vista all the time and I think I have the right too, I bought vista ultimate and got nothing but rsod's with my tuner so I went back to xp mce, tried it on my laptop which meets the requirements and it never worked even once, after boot, black screen, so yea I bitch about it, and its not because of low system requirements on my C2Q system on my desktop and X2 on my laptop, thats bs

alot of people say that you only need ram and a good cpu but thats not true because of the driver problems with vista, 1 driver problem and your vista experience will be hell and thats from my personal experience

That just means your TV tuner is incompatible with Vista. All of mine are too. I'm going to have to buy new ones or just stick with XP MCE. I got BSODs when I updated my media PC to Vista. that's partly Vista's fault, and partly the tv tuner manufacturer's fault.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
I dont have any probs with ppl like yaself who have tried it and found it not for them. But i do have a prob with ppl who havnt tried it and just assume its crap cus everyone say it is.

Cooling Corsair H70
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
I dont have any probs with ppl like yaself who have tried it and found it not for them. But i do have a prob with ppl who havnt tried it and just assume its crap cus everyone say it is.

I have a problem with the people who have a very specific problem then go on to bitch about Vista as a whole being bad. Why can't they just say "I need X feature, I had errors, that's why I don't use it"?

Processor AMD FX 8350
Cooling Noctua U14S

Well, thats mainly the problem of hardware manufactures for not providing appropriate drivers for their hardware, so it's theirs fault. Vista is innocent in this case. :D

Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10

I agree

Its not that I hate vista, its just that its annoying when you buy something when an OS comes out to find out its not supported, its always been like this though, when a new windows OS comes out and thats the most annoying part but theres no way im goin to mac:p so i will put up with it, well, except windows me, that was a deadly os:mad:

But It is sad that people talk down vista without using it, its a great OS, when you get it to work . . .

Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Well, thats mainly the problem of hardware manufactures for not providing appropriate drivers for their hardware, so it's theirs fault. Vista is innocent in this case. :D
Yet linux is bad because of lack of drivers.

Processor AMD FX 8350
Cooling Noctua U14S
Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10