Thanks for your response!
It's running directly from the folder it was downloaded to, which is where it's been running from for a year now. Nothing new here. The file GPUQuery_External (.exe?) exists in the appdata/temp folder and is 0 bytes in size, and is read-only.
Sorry to revive this, but I'm getting the same error, first time was a day or so ago, and the error exists when launching GPU-Z 2.22.0 (and 2.21.0).
I did not do the bug testing/dissection as the OP did, but the error is exactly the same as they described.
I think what he meant was, the mainboard uses Nvidia chipset, drivers; integrated things like sb/nb, VGA/NIC run on Nvidia software. The graphics card itself was what he changed (Ati).
BTW, I did all the troubleshooting steps (and more) that a poster recommended after I commented on ATi's...
I disagree--I think it IS a widespread issue, but enough people don't complain about it to make it more visible; they just dump ATi for Nvidia and fix the problem that way.
I have a BBA Radeon 1950 Pro with the latest Catalyst drivers (01/13/08 IIRC) and this has been an ongoing problem since...