• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who'll be the better president?

Who'll be the better president?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 1,290 57.9%
  • John McCain

Votes: 333 14.9%
  • But I want George W. Bush

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 429 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Duxx

I think they both suck. Only a handful of politicians in America that are halfway decent that care more about the people then their own re-election bullshit. They all will make up anything and everything as long as it swings the polls in their favor. American politics suck.

fausto412

and CNN is better your kidding me and the National review is not anything like the National Enquier it would be more like the New Yorker is to liberals. How about the Wallstreet Journal they aren't legit?

who owns the journal?

fausto412

I think they both suck. Only a handful of politicians in America that are halfway decent that care more about the people then their own re-election bullshit. They all will make up anything and everything as long as it swings the polls in their favor. American politics suck.

even if they both suck...one sucks a lot more than the other.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional

fausto412

All Obama is going to do is make the US have the improvements that countries like the UK, France have been benefiting from for years.

There is a reason why the UK have the highest rated healthcare systems in the world.

Even India is better in some respects in healthcare. Just ask btarunr.

france, england, taiwan and a few other countrys have healthcare for everyone while spending half what the US spends.

Odin Eidolon

Processor e6300 @ 3000, stock Volts
Motherboard msi p35 neo2-FIR
Cooling HDT-1283
Memory 2gb tracers 1066 micron d9GMH, cooled by a modded CoolIt Memory Cooler
Video Card(s) HIS 4850 ICEQ4
Storage WD Caviar 16 320gb WDAAKS + 640gb WDAAKS
Case CM RC-690 sligthly modded
Power Supply Bequiet darkpower PRO 850W (say overkill? :D)
Software kubuntu 8.10 + Windows XP, soon Windows 7 too
even if they both suck...one sucks a lot more than the other.

thats right. Vote is both a right and a duty, as written in our constitution (Italian one, i mean). This should count for all.

btw, where are you from, Fausto?

Odin Eidolon

Processor e6300 @ 3000, stock Volts
Motherboard msi p35 neo2-FIR
Cooling HDT-1283
Memory 2gb tracers 1066 micron d9GMH, cooled by a modded CoolIt Memory Cooler
Video Card(s) HIS 4850 ICEQ4
Storage WD Caviar 16 320gb WDAAKS + 640gb WDAAKS
Case CM RC-690 sligthly modded
Power Supply Bequiet darkpower PRO 850W (say overkill? :D)
Software kubuntu 8.10 + Windows XP, soon Windows 7 too
france, england, taiwan and a few other countrys have healthcare for everyone while spending half what the US spends.

well, not "a few", but the majority of European countries (all west-European ones, i believe). Sad to say but America's healthcare system is crap compared to lots of other nations.

Rupert Murdoch owns sky satellite tv in the UK

hes a media mogul i think thats how hes described

Politicians are no longer public servants. We have the right to vote . . . for whoever the major parties want us to vote for. I honestly believe Regan was the last good president. Of the two I'm not sure who I'll vote for.

We have a young idealist who can't keep his ideals straight. Of the two I would consider Obama to be more of the communism mindset as he is looking for a healthcare plan for everyone. I also worry for our troops safety if he is elected as there will probably be a hasty and poorly planned exit strategy (unfortunately costing lives). He does have a younger/future minded mindset. Perhaps he will help unify the cultures of this nation a little better but that is just a thought/side note.

McClain scares me because of his voting history. He is primarily conservative but shoots back and forth on occasion. This makes his decisions a little harder to judge on what side of the line he will actually sit on issues. I feel he has a stronger support and understanding for our troops and will do a better job planning their future. I also feel has much more experience in the political world. Of the two I feel McCain’s running mate is a stronger choice as her views are set, there is less unknown about where she stands.

My points are based on:
US Army Infantry, so yes troops are important to me (I also believe as do many troops that have been in the middle east that we are actually helping people).
I am fairly conservative:
Abortion, I'm not really for it but believe it can be necessary. I also believe it is way out of control and there should be guidelines enforced (under 18, parental consent, etc).
I would prefer to see a system where taxes are based solely on what is purchased (retail) and not on what people make. This system would catch all the money that is being absorbed by any kind of illegal work (aliens, drugs, etc). This eliminates "classes"/income brackets.
Healthcare/Welfare, healthcare, I don't mind paying to help those that helped/ran our nation before us to a reasonable degree, I can also understand temporary healthcare help for those in tough times (I am not political so I will not define what "reasonable" is). I feel the same way about welfare, unemployment, food stamps/ etc as I feel about healthcare for the average citizen. I am willing to help someone in tough times but this should be limited in both timeframe and circumstances.
Immigration, the United States should allow immigrants in the form of citizenship and green cards. A citizen can vote, receive temporary government help (welfare, medical, etc), and every other benefit of our great nation. A green card allows for someone to come here, live here, and work here but that’s where their benefits stop. If someone wants to be in this nation the least they can do is become one of those two categories. Shouldn't we require that much for the work we and our ancestors have done?
Budget, unfortunately I think it will always be messed up in some way or another. The better the financial mind we elect hopefully the better the situation will be.

I have many more views but I believe these are the real relevant ones to what people are currently talking about. Please do not turn this into a flame as I have just given my points of view in a hope that people will understand where I stand and my concerns on both sides of the fence with the candidates.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

For us, make that 1/4 or even lesser :toast:

true, but i think its ALWAYS better to chose the "less worse". I mean, if both sucks, there still is one that sucks less, since they have almost opposite politics. Vote that one, so that the one that sucks most wont win. Better one cent than nothing, i say.

An unrelated example:

Two people have held you at gunpoint: one is using a shotgun, and the other using a lowly .35 pistol. Does it make the guy with the pistol suck any less?

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
For us, make that 1/4 or even lesser :toast:

True. I wish more people would realize this, but the US does have a national health care system -- it's called Medicare/Medicaid -- but that only a part of the country is eligible for it (it's a little over 10% of the population). And even with just a part of the US's population eligible for it, the US still spends double what other countries are spending to ensure their entire populations.

There's something really wrong with this picture.

Two people have held you at gunpoint: one is using a shotgun, and the other using a lowly .35 pistol. Does it make the guy with the pistol suck any less?

Yes -- a .35 round to the chest could be survived if it misses vital organs -- a shotgun blast is pretty much a death sentence. Though both can be avoided by having a bigger gun. :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech

Assuming both are robbing you for the same amount, that doesn't make since.

True. I wish more people would realize this, but the US does have a national health care system -- it's called Medicare/Medicaid -- but that only a part of the country is eligible for it. And even with just a part of the US's population eligible for it, the US still spends double what other countries are spending to ensure their entire populations.

That's so true. Our entire medical system is screwed up : (

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
True. I wish more people would realize this, but the US does have a national health care system -- it's called Medicare/Medicaid -- but that only a part of the country is eligible for it. And even with just a part of the US's population eligible for it, the US still spends double what other countries are spending to ensure their entire populations.

We allow drug companies to charge any amount they want for a drug. There is no price regulation.

If there is a drug that cures your disease they can essentially hold your life hostage with charging you what you can barely pay or even not afford to get it. No price regulation here. Cancer drugs and Aids drugs here will cost you over $4,000 a month. It takes the company a couple hundred dollars to produce it. Drug companies are rolling in profits.

Some Americans drive to Mexico and Canada to buy their drugs and are arrested for it if they are caught, because they are charged with drug traffic offenses under the law even though its just for themselves.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Assuming both are robbing you for the same amount, that doesn't make since.

Not robbing, just with the intent to hurt you. The guy with the pistol looks "less worse", but is bad nonetheless. Both can take you down (just a matter of chance).....somewhere along these lines is the 'debatable' logic that drives people who want to refrain from voting (each is bad in his own way). But that wouldn't change their fate, even if they don't vote, either of them is going to come to power).

If there is a drug that cures your disease they can essentially hold your life hostage with charging you what you can barely pay or even not afford to get it. No price regulation here. Cancer drugs and Aids drugs here will cost you over $4,000 a month. It takes the company a couple hundred dollars to produce it. Drug companies are rolling in profits.

+1. Affordable healthcare starts with price-regulation for drugs.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
That's so true. Our entire medical system is screwed up : (

We allow drug companies to charge any amount they want for a drug. There is no price regulation.

Some Americans drive to Mexico and Canada to buy their drugs and are arrested for it if they are caught, because they are charged with drug traffic offenses under the law even though its just for themselves.

I couldn't agree more. Do you guys really think that puting healthcare into the hands of politicians will make it better? Or, would it be better if healthcare is left in private hands and was regulated towards the benefit of the patient?

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
I couldn't agree more. Do you guys really think that puting healthcare into the hands of politicians will make it better? Or, would it be better if healthcare is left in private hands and was regulated towards the benefit of the patient?

I'd say politicians, for all their shortcomings, could do a damn sight better than the way it's run by greedy businessmen now.

I personally like the way that Japan does it -- dual government/private health care (kinda like what the US has, albeit in a vastly inferior form). In Japan (as I understand it), you have to be offered health care through your job -- if they can't, then you're allowed to get it through the government. Either way, 100% of the population is covered. (I think they actual figures are somewhere around 70% with private insurance, the remaining 30% with government-run.)

CStylen

System Name The Money Pit
Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Motherboard EVGA E760 w/B3 stepping
Cooling Corsair H5O, 3x Gentle Typhoons
Memory 12GB Ballistix Tactical
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 480 / Zotac GTX 480 SLI
Storage 3x X-25M 80GB G2 RAID 0; 1x M4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
Case Lian Li V2010 w/window side panel
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro+
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 8 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 10144 9/21/11 AS SSD X-25M Array: 978; M4: 568 9/12/12 (sata2) Cloud Gate 26968 2/21/13
I like how these right wingers always show up with these unsupported claims. You know what is supported? the fact that wealth does not trickle down. Want proof? lookup something called Reaganomics....and compare it to the last 8 years of Bush. Go find the figures on who benefited most from the 2001 Bush Tax Cuts. You'll be shocked to find out it was the already rich.

I've read all this stuff and it is common knowledge these days that trickle down economics do not work. Do a little reasearch if you want to find out for yourself.

Here is another good one...people making over 250k a year...if their taxes go up 10,000 dollars...they are still freaking rich. Me and my wife work 80 hours a week like a lot of people and we lucky to come close to 100k and we still feel broke, we still like 95% of the country one medical tragedy away from financial disaster...and we have insurance! Think about all the families living on 50 g's a year...think they own a house? a house has been the path to the american middle class and the growth of wealth in this nation.

man i can keep typing forever on this stuff but you right wingers need to wake up and smell the flowers. do some freaking research.

And no i will not provide you any links to facts or anything....i have found that to be a waste of my time.

ps. quit watching fox news.

I did not come close to saying anything about trickle down economics. I am however safe to assume the person writing your paycheck has more money than you or they would go bankrupt. My point was if that person is taxed more a couple things might happen. Including less hiring, no expansion, pay cuts, etc. Since taxes are based on a percentage, the "rich" pay a LOT more. To keep it simple, let's say a business makes $1,000,000 in a year. Well now the owner is taxed an extra 5% or $50,000 and he can't afford to keep you next year.

I work hard also I want the freedom to make as much money as possible. Soon, I will start a small business which will grow over time. When Obama decides the "rich" need to pay more I guess there will be no more expanding or hiring of new emplyees. Oh and when I factor in his "excessive profits" tax I will probably be forced to go out of business since it won't be profitable anymore.

CStylen

System Name The Money Pit
Processor i7 980X @ 4.4
Motherboard EVGA E760 w/B3 stepping
Cooling Corsair H5O, 3x Gentle Typhoons
Memory 12GB Ballistix Tactical
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 480 / Zotac GTX 480 SLI
Storage 3x X-25M 80GB G2 RAID 0; 1x M4
Display(s) Acer Al2423W
Case Lian Li V2010 w/window side panel
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro+
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 8 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 10144 9/21/11 AS SSD X-25M Array: 978; M4: 568 9/12/12 (sata2) Cloud Gate 26968 2/21/13

Mind telling me how good that healthcare is? People have to wait months for surgeries, x-rays, CAT scans, or even a check-up. How is this beneficial to an individuals health?

Without insurance, you could walk into a hospital bleeding to death and you would need to hand them a check first - I should say fortunately, but unfortunately the US treats ANYBODY regardless.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'd say politicians, for all their shortcomings, could do a damn sight better than the way it's run by greedy businessmen now.

I personally like the way that Japan does it -- dual government/private health care (kinda like what the US has, albeit in a vastly inferior form). In Japan (as I understand it), you have to be offered health care through your job -- if they can't, then you're allowed to get it through the government. Either way, 100% of the population is covered. (I think they actual figures are somewhere around 70% with private insurance, the remaining 30% with government-run.)

That sounds nice. Though, I would rather see it offered to an individual rather than have to do it through place of employment. It would be easier on smaller businesses, and basically the same thing.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

Private hands always seek profits. You can never expect patient-centric benefits from there. The Government has to set and enforce guidelines for pricing drugs and essential medical services. Paying $1000 for a broken pinky, seriously...

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Mind telling me how good that healthcare is? People have to wait months for surgeries, x-rays, CAT scans, or even a check-up. How is this beneficial to an individuals health?

Because it encourages individuals to take better care of themselves without always running to a doctor for the smallest thing. And let's not forget that any healthcare is better than no healthcare. :shadedshu

Emergency room care is the same in other countries as it is in the US -- have you ever been to another country and seen an emergency room? You get seen to right away, just like in the US. There's no extreme waiting for emergency care.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Private hands always seek profits. You can never expect patient-centric benefits from there. The Government has to set and enforce guidelines for pricing drugs and essential medical services. Paying $1000 for a broken pinky, seriously...

That's why I'd like better regulation. I can honestly say that I just don't trust my government running health-care, though it most likely wouldn't be as bad as it is now. I'm with the understanding that the big reason most Americans don't want public health care is because they are afraid of things like waiting and/or not getting thier needed medications. Unfortunately, I no longer see our government working for the people, but an entity of their own. So I'm under the impression that our government wants to control health care anyways by siding with pharmecutical companies with non-regulation and not looking out for the patients best interest and sending the current health care system to crap only to leave themselves as the only option to take control of health care. Slowly taking away our privacy and freedoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.