• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Windows XP Downgrade Program Extended by Another Six Months

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Windows XP, the OS that is still widely available although its Vista successor is trying to get the upper hand for more than a year, has just received another six months before going down forever. Earlier this summer, Microsoft instructed retailers to stop selling copies of Windows XP to consumers. Regardless of that customers were still able to use their lovely XP OS through a loophole that allowed them to purchase a new computer running certain version of Windows Vista and still downgrade to Windows XP for free. Originally, that option was set to expire on January 31st, 2009. Now Microsoft has extended that date by another six months, through July 31st, 2009. Recent market research shows that one third of the customers that can take advantage of the downgrade program, return to Windows XP without thinking twice. Recently Microsoft also made Windows XP licenses and support available for netbooks until 2010. With little help Windows XP could be still alive when Vista's deputy Windows 7 becomes available.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Fenix
Processor AMD A8-3820 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard HP 2ACF
Cooling AMD
Memory 8GB DDR3 @ 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD6550
Storage 320GB Seagate
Display(s) Dell 19"
Case Unknown
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium
I don't understand Microsoft's logic

They want to promote Windows Vista, and stop XP sales, but then again, they keep extending XP's support and DOWNGRADE program.

Processor Intel i7-8700K
Motherboard Asus Z390-A Prime
Cooling NZXT Kraken x63
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB NVME, 1TB Raid 0 (Samsung 500gb SSD), 248gb SSD Boot Generic
Display(s) Dell S2716DG x2
Case Phanteks P400
Power Supply Gigabyte 750W Modular
Mouse Razr Deathadder Elite
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10 Professional
I think this is why Vista is not so popular. Microsoft kept promoting exp for what 3-4 yrs which gave everybody a chance to upgrade from 2000 to xp including all the government, schools, and other enterprises and have good amount of bugs gone. Now they screwed themselves with that and now they are just throwing vista down our throats and trying to get everybody to upgrade when there is a huge amount of bugs still there, and thats why schools, government, enterprises will not upgrade just yet.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
maybe because they know that Vista is Whack. :toast:

considering the major backlash when M$ annouced they were stopping the production of XP I think they have partially learnt their lesson which is to listen to the consumers a little more.

im not going to go into the 'XP Vs. Vista' debate - each to their own theres a lotta people that say Vista is good then theres a lotta people saying Vista is crap. its just an endless circle.

So 'Forcing' users to use Vista with a new system isnt good either. people have their own personnal preferances - Personally I still like XP. DX10 might sound good on paper but in reality its not good enough to force me to go Vista.

implementing a system like this where users can choose which O/S they want to run with other then just vista vista & vista saves Consumers money as they DONT have to pay an extra £60-70 to have the machine come with XP.

They want to promote Windows Vista, and stop XP sales, but then again, they keep extending XP's support and DOWNGRADE program.

At least it shuts the people up who keep complaining about Microsoft shoving things down everybody's throat.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
There really is no good reason not to move to Vista these days. I wouldn't upgrade a machine from XP to Vista, but on new machines I say just stick with Vista. Vista isn't buggy anymore, at this point people are just complaining because they are comfortable with XP and fear change.

they are just throwing vista down our throats

At least it shuts the people up who keep complaining about Microsoft shoving things down everybody's throat.

Does it?

jydie

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (socket 939)
Motherboard ASUS A8R-MVP Express200
Cooling Standard AMD CPU Heatsink/Fan
Memory 1GB Geil PC3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
Storage 2 Maxtor 7200 HDD (80GB)
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD
Case Yellow Chieftech Dragon
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Thermaltake TT-420AD
Software Windows XP Home
I think the popularity of small laptops (like the Asus eee) is increasing the usefullness of XP. The defualt OS for these new laptops is Linux... or Windows XP. Vista is just to beefy and demanding to run efficiently on those little things. As the demand for the eee and its competition increases, then so will XP's cutoff date. :toast:

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
that an xp users signing petitions to have it extended.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I think the popularity of small laptops (like the Asus eee) is increasing the usefullness of XP. The defualt OS for these new laptops is Linux... or Windows XP. Vista is just to beefy and demanding to run efficiently on those little things. As the demand for the eee and its competition increases, then so will XP's cutoff date. :toast:

I disagree, my Eee runs Vista just fine. In fact many report that Vista actually runs better than XP Home does on their Netbooks. In this article particularly, installing Vista on the MSI Wind actually made it faster at benchmarks.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.

Oh, they'll keep extending the downgrade program forever, if they'd like -- it still requires useres to buy a copy of Vista first (even if they never use it), so Microsoft can still make their shareholders happy, even if everyone doesn't like the new OS. :laugh:

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Soon companies (and already) will stop making drivers for XP and will thru that force people to "upgrade" to vista.

There really is no good reason not to move to Vista these days. I wouldn't upgrade a machine from XP to Vista, but on new machines I say just stick with Vista. Vista isn't buggy anymore, at this point people are just complaining because they are comfortable with XP and fear change.

Does it?

Fear change,? I think not, and I think you should really stop thinking like that. I like change, but not if it comprimises my productivity. Example, a quickly optimised XP install (i.e. disabled services, etc) takes around 20~30 seconds on my system to boot up, and less than 10 seconds on the eeepc. With Vista, even when optimised through the same means, I found that the system took more than one minute to boot. That isnt all, the EEEPC's 20GB SDD means that the Vista OS, will take up a large portion of the drive, making it extremely undesirable, and would moreover run at a sluggish pace.

Another argument against upgrading to vista, is the fact that some hardware, such as my Webcam, graphics tablet, etcetera will not work anymore. You may say that "why not get better hardware (and say the same about my EEEPC), but realise the quickly deteriorating economic conditions ahead-you may find that the most you can afford in the future is a Nettop. I'm personally considering one to use mainly instead of my main PC for space saving, and the fact that the nettop will use far less power than the PC (power bills have been going up since I upgraded hardware).

I strongly support this decision that Microsoft has made.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Fear change,? I think not, and I think you should really stop thinking like that. I like change, but not if it comprimises my productivity. Example, a quickly optimised XP install (i.e. disabled services, etc) takes around 20~30 seconds on my system to boot up, and less than 10 seconds on the eeepc. With Vista, even when optimised through the same means, I found that the system took more than one minute to boot. That isnt all, the EEEPC's 20GB SDD means that the Vista OS, will take up a large portion of the drive, making it extremely undesirable, and would moreover run at a sluggish pace.

Another argument against upgrading to vista, is the fact that some hardware, such as my Webcam, graphics tablet, etcetera will not work anymore. You may say that "why not get better hardware (and say the same about my EEEPC), but realise the quickly deteriorating economic conditions ahead-you may find that the most you can afford in the future is a Nettop. I'm personally considering one to use mainly instead of my main PC for space saving, and the fact that the nettop will use far less power than the PC (power bills have been going up since I upgraded hardware).

I strongly support this decision that Microsoft has made.

Boot time is pretty meaningless to me. I only rarely actually boot any of my Vista machines, most of the time they are put to sleep, including my EeePC. Resuming from sleep is nearly instant, the longest time is spent typing in my password.

Your harddrive space argument might work for the older EeePC's but the newer ones with 40GB SSDs and 80-160GB HDDs negates it. And the lowest for any of the Nettops will be the 40GB SDD, with the 80GB HDD being standard.

The few incompatible pieces of hardware are really the only reason not to use Vista, but that is only the fault of the hardware manufacturer for not releasing propper drivers. I have only run into a single piece of hardware that didn't work with Vista, an old 3Com PCI network card. The rare hardware incompatibility is far from a good reason to stick with XP.

On the consumer level that makes sense. On the business level there is no reason to buy Vista. Everything is already setup and running on XP. Some things are even designed to run on XP. Companies may not want the bill of the new computers for Vista as well as the configuration costs of the those companies that their hardware and software was purchased from.
I'm sure much of this decision had to do with the industry side. Primarily they are the ones even purchasing the downgrades not the average consumer.
We all build our own PCs we don't count.

jydie

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (socket 939)
Motherboard ASUS A8R-MVP Express200
Cooling Standard AMD CPU Heatsink/Fan
Memory 1GB Geil PC3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
Storage 2 Maxtor 7200 HDD (80GB)
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD
Case Yellow Chieftech Dragon
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Thermaltake TT-420AD
Software Windows XP Home
I disagree, my Eee runs Vista just fine. In fact many report that Vista actually runs better than XP Home does on their Netbooks. In this article particularly, installing Vista on the MSI Wind actually made it faster at benchmarks.

Some of the eee's only have a 2 or 4 GB SSD drive. I am not sure if Vista could fit on those.

But, dang... that surprises me. Vista beating XP with only 1 GB of memory. :eek:

Thanks for the information and the link!! :)

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
why won't xp just die.

paybackdaman

System Name Fixxer Upper
Processor Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula x48
Cooling Xigmatec 120mm Rifle Cooler
Memory 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) DDR2-1066 OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) XFX HD4890 1GB DDR5 CF w/ XFX HD4850 1GB DDR3
Storage Western Digital 320 Caviar in Raid 0, Samsung Spingpoint F1 500GB
Display(s) LG 22" (L226WTQ)
Case Silverstone TJ09
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX II w/ Logitech G51 5.1
Power Supply BFG 1000W Modular PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 7.7 in Windows 7
why won't xp just die.

Because if M$ can't sell vista to the masses, they can still make a profit with XP. Let's not forget that microsoft loves our money.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
"
im not going to go into the 'XP Vs. Vista' debate - each to their own theres a lotta people that say Vista is good then theres a lotta people saying Vista is crap. its just an endless circle."

But it doesn't have to be an endless circle.

People who like Vista obviously have figured it out. People who don't are just ignorant bandwagon morons.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
The few incompatible pieces of hardware are really the only reason not to use Vista, but that is only the fault of the hardware manufacturer for not releasing propper drivers.
...or the fact that the manufacturer has drivers that work perfectly well with Windows XP and sees no need to write any more? :rolleyes: This is especially true in the business world, where upgrades usually occur once a decade, if not slower.

mlupple

Processor Q6600
Motherboard Asus P5K-E Wifi
Memory 2GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 74GB 10,000RPM, 320GB 7200RPM
Display(s) 1920x1200 Dell
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Fatal1ty X-Fi
Power Supply Thermaltake 700w
Software Vista 64 Home Premium
I think this is why Vista is not so popular. Microsoft kept promoting exp for what 3-4 yrs which gave everybody a chance to upgrade from 2000 to xp including all the government, schools, and other enterprises and have good amount of bugs gone. Now they screwed themselves with that and now they are just throwing vista down our throats and trying to get everybody to upgrade when there is a huge amount of bugs still there, and thats why schools, government, enterprises will not upgrade just yet.

Dude, shut up with the rhetoric.

What bugs?

How are they shoving Vista down our throats when they are extending downgrade and support?

Shools gov, ent. will not upgrade just yet because there isn't a need to spend millions of $ when XP is still compatible with everything. Businesses don't need DirectX 10 to run spreadsheet. (btw, University in my town is 100% Vista (besides their Macs)

It's necessary for Video game players to upgrade if they want to stay current with the top-notch graphical tech.

Vista is more stable for me than XP ever was, now that the OS dedicates some resources to the OS itself to prevent total PC lock.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
On the consumer level that makes sense. On the business level there is no reason to buy Vista. Everything is already setup and running on XP. Some things are even designed to run on XP. Companies may not want the bill of the new computers for Vista as well as the configuration costs of the those companies that their hardware and software was purchased from.
I'm sure much of this decision had to do with the industry side. Primarily they are the ones even purchasing the downgrades not the average consumer.
We all build our own PCs we don't count.

I already said, there is no reason to buy Vista by itself. However, currently, even on the business level, there is no reason to avoid Vista when purchasing new machine. You are actually already purchasing Vista to be eligible for the downgrade anyway, so you might as well use it.

And if you are a Business running software that isn't compatible with Vista, that is a different story. However, I wouldn't recommend any Business run outdates software, and anything that doesn't run on Vista is too outdated for me. I know business don't follow that logic because it usually means they have to take some money out of their pockets, which most don't like to do in this day an age. But really, I haven't come across much software that won't work with Vista actually, most people just assume that whatever they are using won't work, and never actually try it.

...or the fact that the manufacturer has drivers that work perfectly well with Windows XP and sees no need to write any more? :rolleyes: This is especially true in the business world, where upgrades usually occur once a decade, if not slower.

I will not buy hardware from manufacturers that refuse to support it with proper driver updates, and anyone that does is an idiot. "My hardware manufacturer is to lazy to provide up to date drivers" is not a valid argument against Vista. Besides most XP drivers work just fine in the 32-bit version of Vista.

I already said, there is no reason to buy Vista by itself. However, currently, even on the business level, there is no reason to avoid Vista when purchasing new machine. You are actually already purchasing Vista to be eligible for the downgrade anyway, so you might as well use it.

And if you are a Business running software that isn't compatible with Vista, that is a different story. However, I wouldn't recommend any Business run outdates software, and anything that doesn't run on Vista is too outdated for me. I know business don't follow that logic because it usually means they have to take some money out of their pockets, which most don't like to do in this day an age. But really, I haven't come across much software that won't work with Vista actually, most people just assume that whatever they are using won't work, and never actually try it.
GE has informed us that using Vista for our software that is considered current by them is a "at your own risk" and will not be supported by them ; )

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Because if M$ can't sell vista to the masses, they can still make a profit with XP. Let's not forget that all businesses love our money.

Fixed that for you. All businesses do what they do ultimately to make money.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
GE has informed us that using Vista for our software that is considered current by them is a "at your own risk" and will not be supported by them ; )

Current by them, isn't current if it doesn't work properly on Vista, I don't care what GE says. I'm sure their is an alternative that you can switch to, and if you are paying for continued support by them, they have to support it regardless of platform.

Fixed that for you. All businesses do what they do ultimately to make money.

Perhaps one day UNICEF will get into the OS business.