• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's plan to overcome Conroe

POGE

Processor Turion 64 ML-34 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Compaq Laptop Mobo
Cooling Stock Compaq Laptop Fan
Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Video Card(s) Radeon 200m
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Display(s) Stock Laptop LCD
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Stock Laptop Powerbrick
Software Windows XP Pro
With Conroe crushing all current AMD processors in benchmarks, it isn't looking good for AMD. But AMD may have a few tricks left up their sleeves. They may release an uberclocked FX chip and/or a Quad core AM2 processor. The FX chip would be a cherry picked dual core. Personally, I'm guessing that it would be clocked at around 3.2Ghz, if AMD wants to put up a real fight. AMD's other option is to go quad core. There are a few issues with this, and there a few ways AMD could attempt to manage them. AMD's obvious option will be to simply slap two dual core processors on one die, and have one slave off of the other. AMD's second option will be to run each dual core half on its own HT connection, basically a dual processor system with one processor socket. This would theoretically better, but latency issues could be an issue.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Current
Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Z77MA-G45
Cooling Cooler Master Tx3
Memory 8gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 960 4GB GDDR5
Storage (1) SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 IPS
Case Fractal Core 1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 430 Watt Corsair
Mouse Logitech g602
Keyboard K70 LUX Mech LB, Red LED, Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 + Hackintosh
we shall see, I doubt it will work, even with quad core its going to be slower because of the latency/slave issues. Without multithreading I don't see quad core beating dual core for gamers? Unless you like to run virus scan, burn DVDs, and compress media files while playing your favorite game . . . I don't know many gamers that do that? It's just like NVIDIAs Quad SLI . . . it's practically useless in the eyes of many enthusiasts.

POGE

Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Case Laptop Case
Software Windows XP Pro
AMD is also working on a reverse hyper threading technology that will allow multiple cores to act as one. Thus, multi-threaded code won't be needed to get all the juice of of multiple cores. :)

System Name Current
Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Z77MA-G45
Memory 8gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Case Fractal Core 1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech g602
that would be badass :), but I'm putting my money on the fact that Intel is working on the same thing.

RickyG512

Processor E6600 @ 3.4ghz 60 degree load stock HSF 1.5v
Motherboard P5B vanilla 0806
Cooling All stock
Memory 2x 1GB geil @ DDR-2 850 4-5-5-12(7100 sis mem bench)
Video Card(s) Powercolour X1900XT 512MB 681/792
Storage c:250gb 16mb 7k2 d:320gb 16mb 7k2 both WD and Sata-II
Display(s) Acer 19" 8ms widescreen 1440x900
Case Thermaltake skull
Audio Device(s) X-Fi eXtreme music
Power Supply Enermax 620 liberty
Software xp pro sp2
why cant they make a real quad core and not 2 dual cores stuck togeather, or dual socket

all we can do is get conroe for the time beeing

i like e6600, cheapest 4MB and $350 or £150. thats cheaper than x2 3800 which is £200

but i have no idea how to overclock an intel, those weird numbers confuse me, amd overclocking is simple, u can even work out how fast your ram will be with a divider in your head

POGE

Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Case Laptop Case
Software Windows XP Pro
It wouldnt be dual socket... that was just a comparison. It will run similar to a dual socket if they choose the second option.

RickyG512

Cooling All stock
Case Thermaltake skull
Software xp pro sp2
amd should just make a better and new architechure

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 deluxe WIFI AP@N
Cooling 120.2/Swiftech655/Apogee GT/DD Fillport & res
Memory OCZ PC3-1333MHZ 2X1GB/Kingston HYPERX PC3-1325MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4830
Storage Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case some crap 5 year old generic modded case
Audio Device(s) X-FI fagtality
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Software Vista Premium 64
AMD has still not switched to a 65nm process too. Once they do that, they will certainly stomp out the Conroe. As for Conroe price and performance, stop looking at these engineering samples that people have now and wait for the real deal when they are released before forming opinions. Who knows what price/perfromance the retail Conroe will have. Also, the AMD platform is going to be AM2 accross the board so that simplifies everything for future AM2 CPU's. This whole arguement about AM2 VS Conroe is just off base. Intel is sure to be performance king this summer. By winter time, AMD will have their answer. Anyone foolish enough to jump ship now deserves to buy expensive new tech that may have issues. Don't forget that Intel boards are expensive and require DDR2 ram as well. Keeping your current rigs and waiting 6 months to see AMD's real answer is the smartest move anyone can make.

V

v-zero

POGE said:
AMD is also working on a reverse hyper threading technology that will allow multiple cores to act as one. Thus, multi-threaded code won't be needed to get all the juice of of multiple cores. :)

Not reverse, inverse. It doesn't take one "Real" core and one "Fake" core and turn them into a single core... lol. It just streams data to both cores, as if to one, and then collects it - making sense of all the data is the tricky part, and is one of the reasons that Sony's Cell chip is so limited to what it can be applied to...

V

v-zero

b1lk1 said:
AMD has still not switched to a 65nm process too. Once they do that, they will certainly stomp out the Conroe.

Inevitabley there is a little FanBoy in all of us... Please do your best to get rid of such remarks when you next deffocate - they are neither correct, nor fitting with the rest of your self-contradicting piece...

[Sorry fot the double post, yes I'm a jackass.... whatever]

RickyG512 said:
amd should just make a better and new architechure

How, Magic beans?

System Name Current
Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Z77MA-G45
Memory 8gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Case Fractal Core 1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech g602
b1lk1 said:
AMD has still not switched to a 65nm process too. Once they do that, they will certainly stomp out the Conroe. As for Conroe price and performance, stop looking at these engineering samples that people have now and wait for the real deal when they are released before forming opinions. Who knows what price/perfromance the retail Conroe will have. Also, the AMD platform is going to be AM2 accross the board so that simplifies everything for future AM2 CPU's. This whole arguement about AM2 VS Conroe is just off base. Intel is sure to be performance king this summer. By winter time, AMD will have their answer. Anyone foolish enough to jump ship now deserves to buy expensive new tech that may have issues. Don't forget that Intel boards are expensive and require DDR2 ram as well. Keeping your current rigs and waiting 6 months to see AMD's real answer is the smartest move anyone can make.

:toast: V-Zero:toast:

I agree with v-zero how can you say say don't look at conroes engineering samples when you say 65 nm AMD will rock it? 65 nm AMD is a long way down the road at least intel has something solid for us to see.

AMDs FX has been beaten by the cheaper more affordable INTEL Conroe, get used to it. Who said going INTEL is jumping ship? I guess I was never onboard then. Also Conroe is not "expensive new technology" it is much cheaper and more powerful then any current AMD solutions, what they call better "bang for the buck."

Your right though AM2 vs Conroe is off base because AM2 is esentially Last gen, conroe is Next gen. " Don't forget that Intel boards are expensive and require DDR2 ram as well." . . . Intel boards cost about the same as AMD . . . and DDR2 costs the same if not cheaper then DDR, AM2 is DDR2 aswell just to let you know AND it requires a new motherboard so I don't understand your point.

Don't chose a side unless you have solid reasoning. All the things you mentioned are just not true.

P.S. I :love: INTEL + AMD

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
I dont really care what brand it is, if it gets me the most bang for the buck. I have a feeling by the end of summer I will be in possession of a Core Duo 2 laptop.

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
b1lk1 said:
Such a naive fanboy.

emd

b1lk1 said:
I better wait for a complete revision and afterall the store prices, I guess I will change my athlon xp-m 2600+ for a socket 939 system when the price slash comes

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550M Mortar WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 8GB
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB / ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB / Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2715
Case Corsair 280X
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Ducky One2 Horizon
Software Windows 10 Professional
Benchmark Scores Cinemark r23 Multicore: 22280
I agree brand shouldn't matter, whats important is which is the best value for money. If I'm completely honest I was a little bit of an amd fanboy, but until recently that has been in some respecs for good reason as the amd processors stomped all over intel's. However with seeing what these conroe processors can do I'm seriously considering moving to intel, especially beacse of the very nice predicted prices. I'm looking forward to seeing the prices on realease day and am considering the e6600 at £150 (hopefully). But we'll see I think this release from intel is going to be good in general for us. Hopefully will bring down the prices of good performance processors in general from the rediculous prices some of them are atm.

RickyG512

Cooling All stock
Case Thermaltake skull
Software xp pro sp2
its so funny that the e6600 which is £150 beats an FX-62 which is £700

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
personally, I enjoy the competition, it should drive the price/performance/watt and give the consumer better products. I just don't understand all of the people who devote themselves to a brand. I must admit, I'd rather root for the underdog, but, just because intel finally caught up/surpassed amd's product doesn't mean AMD is going to be extinct. Besides, they held the peformance crown for a very long time. as for myself, I don't have any reason to burn my money this summer. I'm waiting for the R600 to build my next system.

emd

ryboto said:
personally, I enjoy the competition, it should drive the price/performance/watt and give the consumer better products. I just don't understand all of the people who devote themselves to a brand. I must admit, I'd rather root for the underdog, but, just because intel finally caught up/surpassed amd's product doesn't mean AMD is going to be extinct. Besides, they held the peformance crown for a very long time. as for myself, I don't have any reason to burn my money this summer. I'm waiting for the R600 to build my next system.
Does this r600 supports direct 10x? I`m kind of curious about these new gpu cards and I don`t know exactly how it works or the differences with actual (direct 9x) cards