• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop, Screan wont light up.

Q

quasar923

Ok so my brother has an apple powerbook G4 laptop. heres the problem: You can turn on the laptop and hear it running, the numlock key, caps lock key, and scroll lock keys all light up after you turn the laptop on. you can even change the volume and hear it make the click sounds, so the screan just wont light up. I think it is a GPU problem because i have tried plunging in my monitor into the DVI connection on the side of the laptop which i have used before with a monitor and it had worked, but this time it didnt, so Is the GPU dead? IF so What GPU should i get costing under $100 or so?

GameSinewPCs

If it is indeed a GPU problem (which it sounds like it is), and you're on a laptop then unless its MXM you usually can't replace the GPU (even then thats a painful process). This is an instance where you should explore taking advantage of the warranty (which it sounds like just might be expired?). You can search around for a motherboard replacement, but that probably won't be worth your time or effort and unless I'm missing something, you're probably best off looking into a new system.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Ok so my brother has an apple powerbook G4 laptop. heres the problem: You can turn on the laptop and hear it running, the numlock key, caps lock key, and scroll lock keys all light up after you turn the laptop on. you can even change the volume and hear it make the click sounds, so the screan just wont light up. I think it is a GPU problem because i have tried plunging in my monitor into the DVI connection on the side of the laptop which i have used before with a monitor and it had worked, but this time it didnt, so Is the GPU dead? IF so What GPU should i get costing under $100 or so?

is it an nvida gpu per chance? if so this may intrest you.

http://www.techpowerup.com/73487/Some_Apple_MacBook_Pro_Notebooks_are_Affected_by_the_NVIDIA_Faulty_GPUs_After_All.html

Q

quasar923

no this is an older mac, a G4 which is about 2004-06 i believe. weve had the laptop for a few years maybe 2 and my uncle owned it before that for a few years, im not exactly sure how long. So i do not think it used the nvidia 8600 gpu. Its most likely on board graphics, altho it does have a dvi connection which most on board graphics dont have, especially from 2006 era. But even if it is onboard then isnt there a pcie slot on the mobo?