• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thecus Technology Announces the N3200PRO NAS

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The N3200 from Thecus has been finding its way into living rooms and home offices around the world thanks to a ton of friendly features, large capacity, and RAID 5 security. Today, Thecus is pleased to announce a successor to this groundbreaking product: the N3200PRO. Featuring the power of an AMD Geode CPU, the N3200PRO takes everything you love about the N3200 and improves its performance even further.

Under its svelte 160 x 170 x 215 mm exterior, the N3200PRO is powered by an AMD Geode CPU for superb performance while maintaining low power usage. With its three SATA drive bays, the N3200PRO accommodates up to 3TB of storage, and gives users the option of RAID 5. With RAID 5, home users can enjoy the speed of a striped array with the security of complete data redundancy. The N3200PRO retains its completely tool-less design, which makes installing and removing disks is a snap and a handy LCD display informs users of system status, and enables easy system management in dimly-lit environments. Thecus' web-based management system makes a return to the N3200PRO, allowing users to configure and manage the unit through any browser connected to the network, and with USB wireless dongle compatibility, users can even connect to the N3200PRO without being tangled up with wires.

As a NAS for the home, the N3200PRO also comes with a selection of friendly features that enable the digital lifestyle. A built-in iTunes Server makes it easy to stream an entire music library over the network, while a Photo Web Server enables users to share and enjoy photos with friends and relatives. A DLNA-compatible Media Server is also included, making the N3200PRO an ideal device to stream digital content to DLNA-compatible devices. The N3200PRO can also keep an eye on things at home with its Web Surveillance Server. Just plug in a compatible USB webcam and the N3200PRO can take scheduled snapshots - all without having a PC turned on! Powerful features and performance makes the N3200PRO the ideal NAS server for the home.

"The N3200 brought RAID 5 to the realm of home NAS units, and the N3200PRO is our follow up to this groundbreaking device," says Thecus General Manager Florence Shih. "With an AMD Geode processor at its core, users are really going to love the improved performance and system response of the N3200PRO."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
RAID 5 sounds like a perfect idea for a home NAS. browser support, USB wireless support!.. hell even an itunes server.

If i didnt already have a large drive cage, i'd be looking at this for sure.

RAID 5 sounds like a perfect idea for a home NAS. browser support, USB wireless support!.. hell even an itunes server.

If i didnt already have a large drive cage, i'd be looking at this for sure.

Nothing really new. The 4100Pro goes for under €400, so this should be a bit cheaper as well. Performance is lower than the 5200 from what Thecus told me. Should know first hand soon enough though. Should have a 4100 here soon, about the same hardware specs.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
"With an AMD Geode processor at its core, users are really going to love the improved performance and system response of the N3200PRO.”

They way they've been brandishing the Geode...

For users, a component such as NAS CPU could be kept abstract. They intend to sell this to the SOHO/Home users, why burden them with more specs to remember? Thecus may have gotten hold of a nice cheap NOS (new old stock) deal of AMD Geode embedded boards (the way server motherboard makers still use decade old ATI chips...which basically are NOS), and now with reduced mfg costs, they're brandishing Geode. I'm not sure if it's any increment, though I guess we'll see how it performs soon.

Other NAS units use Intel processors that are NOS too, but my point is Geode must have been a cheap cost-cutting deal for Thecus.

"With an AMD Geode processor at its core, users are really going to love the improved performance and system response of the N3200PRO.”

They way they've been brandishing the Geode...

For users, a component such as NAS CPU could be kept abstract. They intend to sell this to the SOHO/Home users, why burden them with more specs to remember? Thecus may have gotten hold of a nice cheap NOS (new old stock) deal of AMD Geode embedded boards (the way server motherboard makers still use decade old ATI chips...which basically are NOS), and now with reduced mfg costs, they're brandishing Geode. I'm not sure if it's any increment, though I guess we'll see how it performs soon.

Other NAS units use Intel processors that are NOS too, but my point is Geode must have been a cheap cost-cutting deal for Thecus.
CPU is the main bottleneck in these devices, so I don't think it's a burden to know.

As for server boards, that's a different story, they stopped use Rage chips for a while now, they all use those ES1000 chips or Volari's. Those are low power no-good chips. They have no 3D acceleration of any kind, they just have simple, reliable drivers. Perfect for servers, where display is completely irrelevant. You don't even need display drivers on a server, basic VGA driver is fine.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
CPU is the main bottleneck in these devices, so I don't think it's a burden to know.

You're right, but I think they're brandishing Geode, saying it offers "improvements" mainly because they wouldn't want "uses the cheaper CPU" tag, I guess we'll have to wait and see how much Geode helps with the bottleneck.

It's funny how on the product page of the N3200, they chose not to mention the CPU at all, while the page for N3200Pro is screaming AMD Geode.

You're right, but I think they're brandishing Geode, saying it offers "improvements" mainly because they wouldn't want "uses the cheaper CPU" tag, I guess we'll have to wait and see how much Geode helps with the bottleneck.

It's funny how on the product page of the N3200, they chose not to mention the CPU at all, while the page for N3200Pro is screaming AMD Geode.

It is actually better than the ARM's most previous models used.

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core i5
Motherboard Asrock ITX
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos 70" TV
Case Coolermaster ITX
Audio Device(s) Radeon Onboard HDMI
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores -242 whatsoever
i'd really like to know how much power this thing uses, since i want a lowpower NAS ... btw the price is 339€ here in germany, which is more than i want to/would pay

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core i5
Motherboard Asrock ITX
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos 70" TV
Case Coolermaster ITX
Audio Device(s) Radeon Onboard HDMI
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores -242 whatsoever