• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My First Build: For Online Gaming & Producing Music

System Name The "H3X" / beaut
Processor AMD X6 1090t /Intel Q6600
Motherboard GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 / eVGA 780i FTW
Cooling Corsair H70/ Stock Intel
Memory 8GB Mushkin Silverline Enhanced 1333 / 4 Gigs Corsair Dominator ddr2 1066
Video Card(s) XFX 5850 /eVGA 9800 GTX+ (dual SLI)
Storage OCZ Vertex III 120 GB + Hatichi 1TB / WD Blue 640GB
Display(s) 3x Acer S211H/ (buddies) Vizio 37" LCD HDTV
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D / Antec 900
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular/ Corsair 750
Software Win 7 Ultimate /Windows Vista Ultimate
yeah i understand where your coming from, even thought i bought all my hardware pretty quick and didn't really take my time to plan everything out is because i knew everything i bought would work together through first hand experenice. my cousin has basiclt the exact same computer as the one i build the main differences are the video cards (his 2x 8800GTS VS. mine 2x 9800GTX+) and mother board, the basic difference is mine is a step up kind of (his 780i ATX VS. mine 780i FTW).

but im glad your going thought more the one fourm. the more people to help you the better your chances are to get the very best rig for what you plan on using it for.

Good luck. and as soon as you post another reply/post you get yourself your third star...lol...

the_professor

...at the moment I'm doing some digging into music recording/composing equipment...

System Name The "H3X" / beaut
Processor AMD X6 1090t /Intel Q6600
Motherboard GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 / eVGA 780i FTW
Cooling Corsair H70/ Stock Intel
Memory 8GB Mushkin Silverline Enhanced 1333 / 4 Gigs Corsair Dominator ddr2 1066
Video Card(s) XFX 5850 /eVGA 9800 GTX+ (dual SLI)
Storage OCZ Vertex III 120 GB + Hatichi 1TB / WD Blue 640GB
Display(s) 3x Acer S211H/ (buddies) Vizio 37" LCD HDTV
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D / Antec 900
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular/ Corsair 750
Software Win 7 Ultimate /Windows Vista Ultimate
cool i hope you find the best equpiment for what you need

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3

the_professor

The computer has been ordered, purchased, packaged for delivery, and is in transit as I write this.

:pimp:

I'll update my list to version 2.0 or something once I know all the parts I ordered actually work. ;) I'm guessing I'll possibly get a DOA or similar.

I had to order Windows Vista (64-bit)... but ended up getting the OEM so I saved something-hundred dollars. It arrived in the mail really fast, on day 2 (one day after ordering).

Day 3 = my new mouse came in, the Razer Lachesis "Banshee Blue".
Plus.... my new keyboard arrived, the Razer Lycosa (more glowy blue stuff).

Some Arctic Silver 5 + remover was supposed to come in that day but never did. Maybe Monday.

That was Friday. Nothing came in over the weekend.

As of Friday, I had 12% of my new computer gear (I haven't ordered audio recording gear yet).

Today I went out and bought my new desk and chair (and a floor thing for the carpet/chair).

As of Saturday (today), I have 20% of the stuff.

On Monday I should hopefully have at least %52 of it.

I'm hoping all 100% is in by Tuesdays. <crossing my fingers.>

I'm starting to narrow down a "starter kit" for myself as it involves recording audio/music. It will possibly include: 2 AT2020 mics, 2 XLR cables, 2 mic boom stands, M-Audio 1010LT (only if it works in Linux), and maybe a mixer (which is optional since I'll have one in my computer software). I'll use my Sennheiser headphones for mastering recordings until I can budget in a nice pair of studio monitor speakers.

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software XP home SP3
I'm starting to narrow down a "starter kit" for myself as it involves recording audio/music. It will possibly include: 2 AT2020 mics, 2 XLR cables, 2 mic boom stands, M-Audio 1010LT (only if it works in Linux), and maybe a mixer (which is optional since I'll have one in my computer software). I'll use my Sennheiser headphones for mastering recordings until I can budget in a nice pair of studio monitor speakers.

Sounds like a viable setup. Adding some seperate mic preamplifiers later can give you a nice quality boost, especialy ones with built in eq and compression. Plenty options around, but the Joemeek units can sound quite sweet and are not too pricey.

Now, just need some acoustic treatment maybe. Hanging duvets with a space behind them is a cheap option.

Just have fun, and shout if you need some more advice.:toast:

the_professor

Sounds like a viable setup. Adding some seperate mic preamplifiers later can give you a nice quality boost, especialy ones with built in eq and compression. Plenty options around, but the Joemeek units can sound quite sweet and are not too pricey.

Now, just need some acoustic treatment maybe. Hanging duvets with a space behind them is a cheap option.

Just have fun, and shout if you need some more advice.:toast:

Acoustical treatment might be tricky at first. My living situation: I rent, have a noisy fridge on the other side of the wall to the studio, have very noisy neighbors below me (uber-very noisy), have 2 windows in the studio, the floor creaks, and this is all very close to a noisy gas station and major highway. :banghead: I'd be set if I can cut out the noise from outside/inside and next to/below me... and all in a temporary fashion since I'm renting. ;)

Mic preamps will come in handy, plus they're condensors so it'll help a lot. I think there might somewhat of a preamp in the card, though if I get another piece of hardware to go in between mics and card it could have some phantom power (perhaps the yamaha mg166cx mixer).

I checked out the joe meek site, pretty cool gear!

-Spanky-

In my bunker complex, well below the Saskatchewan
System Name Go here for updated specs & more info: http://natescomp.com/?page_id=7
Processor AMD 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
Cooling 5x 80mm Case Fans, 120x38mm Delta on CPU
Memory 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1720MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 275 720/1476/1260MHz
Storage 2x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ in RAID0
Display(s) 1x Acer AL2016W & a 22"
Case Chieftec Alumnium Dragon
Audio Device(s) Audio-GD NFB-12 > Sony 55ES Amp > JBL L19A Speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Benchmark Scores Not into benchmarking.
Learning from Head-Fi, the best stock card for gaming and music production would have to be the AuzenTech X-FI Prelude. Otherwise get something more professional and external.

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software XP home SP3
A good site to look at:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/

Specifically :

http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=hardware&DokuWiki=9c35ecddca14cd5acd0f026bbda8428d

According to this post, the M-Audio 1010LT will work under Linux:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=268

Do note that it doesn't supply phantom power, which condensor mics use to work.
You can buy an external phantom power supply though, and they tend to be cheap.
If you are handy with the soldering iron, you can evem make one.

Another option, if you can afford it, is the AKG C1000.
http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,759,pid,759,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

One of my all time favourite mics. Also, works fine on internal battery or phantom. It's what I'd buy.

the_professor

Learning from Head-Fi, the best stock card for gaming and music production would have to be the AuzenTech X-FI Prelude. Otherwise get something more professional and external.

Looks like a cool card, though I don't think it has I/Os for XLR & MIDI, a must have for recording. :ohwell: At the moment I'm leaning toward the MAudio 1010lt. I don't know if it packs a punch for gaming, though it packs a punch for anything else audio-related. ;)

A good site to look at:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/

Specifically :

http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=hardware&DokuWiki=9c35ecddca14cd5acd0f026bbda8428d

According to this post, the M-Audio 1010LT will work under Linux:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=268

Do note that it doesn't supply phantom power, which condensor mics use to work.
You can buy an external phantom power supply though, and they tend to be cheap.
If you are handy with the soldering iron, you can evem make one.

Another option, if you can afford it, is the AKG C1000.
http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,759,pid,759,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

One of my all time favourite mics. Also, works fine on internal battery or phantom. It's what I'd buy.

Those are great sites, I've been checking them out. The AKG is cool, something I'd go for in the future. I didn't know that about the 1010lt - having no phantom power, that completely eluded me - I believe the Yamaha MG166C has phtanom power (as well as a few other useful immediate goodies and some room to grow as I add mics to the mix).

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software XP home SP3
Well, looking at the Yamaha, it looks to be a good choice for you.

The only downsides is it only records at 16 bit resolution, and only 2 channels at a time.

Considering most soundcards support 24 bit and multiple channels, that's the tradeoff.

If you feel you can live with those compromises, then go for it!
Otherwise, grab the 1010LT and a phantom adapter box for now, then a reasonable mic preamplifier later to upgrade.

the_professor

Well, looking at the Yamaha, it looks to be a good choice for you.

The only downsides is it only records at 16 bit resolution, and only 2 channels at a time.

Considering most soundcards support 24 bit and multiple channels, that's the tradeoff.

If you feel you can live with those compromises, then go for it!
Otherwise, grab the 1010LT and a phantom adapter box for now, then a reasonable mic preamplifier later to upgrade.

I didn't know about the 16 bit vs 24 bit... hmm.

What did you mean by it records only 2 channels at a time?

Is there a 16 bit card with otherwise similar features as the 1010LT (like I/Os for XLR and MIDI)?

By the way, my mobo was doa. lol I had to swap it. woohoo! ;)

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software XP home SP3
The Yamaha documentation is not clear on this, so I stand to be corrected.
Most mixers with usb connections only output 2 channels of audio via usb at one time. More often than not they are sending your main outputs. Not a major problem, but can be a bit limiting as it's preferable to record everything separately so as to give you more control when editing and mixing.

FYI, 24 bit is the preferred format for recording these days, as the increased dynamic range and resolution is always a good thing. Do note that 24 bit equipment will work without issues at 16 bit. The general idea is to record, edit, and mix at 24 bit; then convert to 16 bit just before burning to cd.

If you could post links to the pro audio shops you may want to deal with, it will help me to recommend equipment for you.

As the 1010LT has a proven track record with linux, I'd suggest sticking with it. Lets just build a viable system around it.

These should not be too pricey:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1747&brandID=2
http://www.behringer.com/PS400/index.cfm?lang=ENG

And a handy box to have:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1650&brandID=2

Samson make some pretty decent budget gear. I use some of their gear, and it's not bad.
Behringer have not always impressed me with the quality of their gear, especially their mixers, but for odd adapters like a phantom supply their stuff is fine.

Plenty more options out there, but this should give you an idea.

thirdshiftdj

System Name The Greasey Leopard
Processor i7 860
Motherboard GIGABYTE P55A-UD3
Cooling STOCK (Don't Laugh)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) 7300GS Oh yea....
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB
Display(s) 28" Hanns
Case COOLERMASTER SILEO
Power Supply CORSAIR 650TX
Software SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.3
Benchmark Scores 9600 GEEKBENCH
Thank you... where can I find those at? The 1st and 3rd ones ring a bell, though I can't pinpoint it.

Best bet is go on ebay the saffires le goes for $200 while the saffire is $250. Best bang for your buck and will go against higher $400-500 interfaces. Software is a bitch to use and setup though. You can't go wrong w/ the firebox or the edirol ua25. Edirol has the better build quality and same quality preamps. I own the Edirol myself. Has a builit in analog compressor/limiter w/ phantom power 24bit 92khz