• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Shatters Day-1 Sales Record

sideeffect

It makes me laugh when people say that WoW players are all geeks and Virgins.

You have for example FPS shooters where its almost all boys and men who play. The main objective is to run around killing and being hostile to each other mostly shouting owned and nub.

Then you have an MMO game where its a massive social network a lot of girls and women play the game forces communication and co-operation and interactivity between players and improves social skills.

I play both types of games i'm not trying to hate on FPS or anything just trying to make a point.

Oh and to keep on topic, Good job Blizzard in making a successful business model out of a game in these times of mass piracy and economic slowdown.

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Pro
Cooling Thermalright Venemous-X
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS
Display(s) ASUS VH242H
Case Lian Li PC-A05NB
Power Supply CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
I for one must say Blizzard has done a fantastic job with the third installment of this franchise. After spending some time with the game it immediately feels far superior to the previous expansion. Truly a grand achievement for a grand developer. Hats off (once again) to Blizzard Entertainment.

Oh...and as sideeffect said, last I checked this game is probably far more social and involving than most FPS games, so don't doubt the players interpersonal skills by blatantly calling them 'virgins.' :)

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I would, I didn't like HL2 that much. Just chill though, you're getting overly bothered by something that's just not worth your attention. If people bash it, who cares, if you like it than enjoy, you shouldn't be personally offended by such a thing. We can debate the merits of the game but not whether somebody should like it or not, that's a personal call. No use getting in a huff about it though.

How am I getting overly bothered? I'm not getting into a huff about it, simply defending a stance. It's just like politics.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Hehe this is funny how they got so many ppl addicted to it.
Maybe its fun for a while but then it gets boring like crap.

You need to love the schema:
-get quest
-kill 20 mobs
-get quest
-kill mob
-get quest
-kill 20 mobs

In many ways wow is like playing a browser gama (like ogame). You click your mouse and wait for something to happen and then again...
Oh yeah and we need to remember that its so fun to run around with that huge ammout of stupid ppl. So much fun... :)

Thanks but I will stay with FPS genre and real single player RPG's as I prefer manual skill games vs ppl not altering a computer database as WoW does.
The funniest part for me was PvP where 10 ppl chase another player for 3 minutes buehehheh man that is really hillariously stupid PvP.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
geez.. but I really feel them south koreans with multiple accounts.. you know.. the south korean service that hires people and make them grind for items and sell em online for cash was the factor for this record sales...

I for one never really liked the concept of grind mmos.. In fact, I did play one before and saw that all that higher number addiction was a complete nonsense since you cant compete with people who live in front of the computer.

Seeing for a fact that I wont be living that way, I just ditched the whole concept and instead opened calc on windows run, entered 1 + 1 then pressed and hold enter then watch numbers go up. More fun in it imo.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Hehe this is funny how they got so many ppl addicted to it.
Maybe its fun for a while but then it gets boring like crap.

You need to love the schema:
-get quest
-kill 20 mobs
-get quest
-kill mob
-get quest
-kill 20 mobs

In many ways wow is like playing a browser gama (like ogame). You click your mouse and wait for something to happen and then again...
Oh yeah and we need to remember that its so fun to run around with that huge ammout of stupid ppl. So much fun... :)

Thanks but I will stay with FPS genre and real single player RPG's as I prefer manual skill games vs ppl not altering a computer database as WoW does.
The funniest part for me was PvP where 10 ppl chase another player for 3 minutes buehehheh man that is really hillariously stupid PvP.

Not to offend anyone, but isn't a FPS technically more repetitive? Shoot and kill, shoot and kill. Don't get me wrong, I love FPS's just as much as RPGs and other genres, but jeesh, calling an MMORPG repetitive where technically there is MUCH more to do is just a pompous thing to say. You're second paragraphs for the most part make no sense. I won't even bother commenting on those as I'm pretty sure "manual skill" is not something used in video games...

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Cooling stock
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software w8
Well appearantly you have never gamed on a larger scale ie clanbase etc.

What do you do in wow ?
- rotate the camera
- press binds to cast stuff in a particular order
- adapt you cast schema to the opponent
- drink a bottle
- move around him

What do you do in a FPS ?
- similar to wow anticipate what other players do (harder here as you dont really see them but have to read the radar+ where sounds come from + know the map)
- adapt your tactics each round so youre not predictable in rush spots.
- aim (the major diffrence between wow)
- know the games mechanics to adapt your aim for particular latency and server behaviour
- use sound to determine enemy locations.
- run+strafe+peek+crouch+stanceup+run+peek+left+zoom+aim+fire almost at the same time.

It all depends how you look at it. I have high demands for video games and as Ive said altering a database and pressing binds isnt one of the most FUN things that can be found in a video game specially if enemy player that attacked you simply runs away at the moment when hes geting owned even tho you have your super hyper stuff 10 times better than him. Collecting strawberries and cooking by the fire wont ever make up for the lack of manual (read aiming skill) in wow.

FPS repetitive ? Maybe public server arcade style FPS. Never on a funwar/match and that was the part I was comparing (PvP). Whats distinct in wow ? Chasing the enemy for 4 minutes in order to kill him or eventually loose track of him?

Why stupid ppl ? Well the only way of doing group quests is having a group at your level without high level ppl doing it basicly for you is publicly looking for group.
Go with that random group and die 20 times because they either suddenly go afk or act stupid. 1 out of 30 groups you will try to make will be made from players that are normal and then yeah its fun do group stuff. This is caused by players bashing their way to a high level and thats just killing a bilion mobs in 100 locations along with spoiling all the fun there is with a MMORPG.

Seeing for a fact that I wont be living that way, I just ditched the whole concept and instead opened calc on windows run, entered 1 + 1 then pressed and hold enter then watch numbers go up. More fun in it imo.
Haha thats so true!

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Well appearantly you have never gamed on a larger scale ie clanbase etc.

What do you do in wow ?
- rotate the camera
- press binds to cast stuff in a particular order
- adapt you cast schema to the opponent
- drink a bottle
- move around him

What do you do in a FPS ?
- similar to wow anticipate what other players do (harder here as you dont really see them but have to read the radar+ where sounds come from + know the map)
- adapt your tactics each round so youre not predictable in rush spots.
- aim (the major diffrence between wow)
- know the games mechanics to adapt your aim for particular latency and server behaviour
- use sound to determine enemy locations.
- run+strafe+peek+crouch+stanceup+run+peek+left+zoom+aim+fire almost at the same time.

It all depends how you look at it. I have high demands for video games and as Ive said altering a database and pressing binds isnt one of the most FUN things that can be found in a video game specially if enemy player that attacked you simply runs away at the moment when hes geting owned even tho you have your super hyper stuff 10 times better than him. Collecting strawberries and cooking by the fire wont ever make up for the lack of manual (read aiming skill) in wow.

FPS repetitive ? Maybe public server arcade style FPS. Never on a funwar/match and that was the part I was comparing (PvP). Whats distinct in wow ? Chasing the enemy for 4 minutes in order to kill him or eventually loose track of him?

Why stupid ppl ? Well the only way of doing group quests is having a group at your level without high level ppl doing it basicly for you is publicly looking for group.
Go with that random group and die 20 times because they either suddenly go afk or act stupid. 1 out of 30 groups you will try to make will be made from players that are normal and then yeah its fun do group stuff. This is caused by players bashing their way to a high level and thats just killing a bilion mobs in 100 locations along with spoiling all the fun there is with a MMORPG.

Haha thats so true!

Some nice flawed logic there.

How do you not see the players in a FPS? Don't know about you, but when I play CounterStrike and TF2 I generally go off of visuals, NOT a rader. I was in some of the top clans in the country when I played Wolfenstein: ET, the Delta Force series, and Joint Operations. So yes, I have played on a clan/serious scale.

Guess what your left mouse button is, a BIND. So more flawed logic there. Game mechanics have NOTHING to do with latency and server behavior. Game mechanics are things like bullets maybe going through certain materials, etc. You mentioned using sound to find enemies TWICE, which I will give you that. However, it isn't that difficult to do.

"Run+strafe+peek+crouch+stanceup+run+peek+left+zoom +aim+fire almost at the same time." I have to do VERY similar things when I'm PVP'ing in WoW. I've come from both worlds (FPS and RPG) on a largely online scale so I have ZERO biased opinion, unlike you. Also, what the hell do you mean by "altering a database." Enemies running away from you are part of the fight and you have tactics and skills to stop that. Again, making RPG PVP just as difficult as a FPS. If you have to chase an enemy for 4 minutes in WoW to kill him you should /quit and uninstall the game.

Another thing I HATE about FPS's is that laggers USUALLY have the advantage. Guess what, in RPG PVP laggers neither have or give up an advantage, making it a more level playing field for everybody. I'm not a hater of either genre, I play both evenly and enjoy each evenly. Both have their differences, but when it comes down to it they are both just video games. A simulation of something to escape reality.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Cooling stock
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software w8
How do you not see the players in a FPS? Don't know about you, but when I play CounterStrike and TF2 I generally go off of visuals, NOT a rader. I was in some of the top clans in the country when I played Wolfenstein: ET, the Delta Force series, and Joint Operations. So yes, I have played on a clan/serious scale.

Do you see the enemy that killed your teammate in another building ? No you dont. Thats the hard part of knowing what somebody will do before you see him on screen and acting accordingly.Thats the best part of every competitive FPS game - predicting stuff. And if you dont know what I mean I could say what you did "uninstall the game".

Game mechanics have NOTHING to do with latency and server behavior.
Did you really play these games on a proffesional level ? Yes understanding how latency affects what you see on screen is one of the primary things you need to "get along with" to hit enemies where you actually aim on your screen. Most titles require you to shoot before the enemy as he runs others register hits when your crosshair is behind the model. If you would know this you wouldnt be annoyed by laggers. Try and get a game where you can turn off instant fire animation and you will see how your "shooting" actually works after its affected by computer/network latency.

Enemies running away from you are part of the fight and you have tactics and skills to stop that. Again, making RPG PVP just as difficult as a FPS. If you have to chase an enemy for 4 minutes in WoW to kill him you should /quit and uninstall the game.
[/quote

Oh really ? Show me how you chase a rouge with a warrior when he sprints or stuns you and simply starts running ? Its the most stupid game balance Ive ever seen. Some kiddy boy attacks you when you do your own stuff and the game lets him get away with it.

"Run+strafe+peek+crouch+stanceup+run+peek+left+zoom +aim+fire almost at the same time." I have to do VERY similar things when I'm PVP'ing in WoW.

There is nothing similar to aiming in WOW just hitting binds and rotating camera view! It is a completly diffrent way of playing. You dont use keyboard button combinations to avoid being hit by the enemy you use a bind for casting some action. Its like playing you are trying to compare Street Fighter to Quake3 and say that SF is needs the same ammount of player attention.

As for database altering. I was refering to how WOW generally works. Which was already explained very well :
Youre arguments arent very convincing but yes wow is a diffrent game and WE should even compare these. FPS games have completly diffrent 'idea' of how they work.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
I knew someone who played both FPS and Wow.. didnt go out of the room except when grabbing munchies and taking a crap.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
I tried playing WoW. Its only fun with other people and my friends stopped playing it so it got really boring for me.. Its a good game, just need to know a lot people to play it cause soloing is ridiculously hard and no fun at all.

I'm really the same way... I find myself frequently defending WoW against haters who just like to piss on other peoples' fun, but then I really only play WoW for two hours, maybe three a week, because that's the only time that my friends and I can coordinate our time off to even be able to play anymore. :laugh:

You don't really need dozens of people to have a good time -- maybe just two or three (kinda like real life I guess), but even that's hard to coordinate, especially if you live in different time zones.

System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Your opinion. At least with an MMO you cant beat it in 10hrs then be completely bored of it.

Thats why I started playing WoW. Got burned out on FPS and I have beaten all my games so many times I am tired of playing them. At least with WoW I dont have that problem.

how the hell can people play Wow for hours on end, its the most boring game I've ever played and you cant "beat" wow.

I played Warhammer online and had fun with that becasue I have friends that play it, but nobody i know plays wow.

hacker111

Personally, I'm not a fan of World Of Warcraft. I find Playstation 2 amusing for me. :nutkick:

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Regardless of my like or dislike for WoW, those are some impressive sales! I say congrats to Blizzard for hitting a home run.:toast: