• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fedora 10 Ready for Download

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
The Fedora Project, a Red Hat sponsored and community-supported open source collaboration project, today announced the availability of Fedora 10, the latest version of its free open source operating system distribution. Fedora 10 features numerous leading-edge technologies and continues to lay the groundwork for derivative open source distributions throughout the enterprise.
"Fedora volunteer contributors and Red Hat engineers worked together to develop the cutting-edge features found in Fedora 10. Their widespread appeal, combined with Fedora's policy of collaborating with upstream free software communities, means that many of these features will be found in other Linux distributions in the future," said Paul Frields, Fedora project leader at Red Hat.

Approximately every six months, contributors from Fedora's membership of over 17,000 people collaborate to produce a complete, general-purpose, no-cost software platform. Since its inception, Fedora has adopted a leadership role in the development of open source software and continuously demonstrates its potential across the enterprise. This community of users and developers have blazed the trail in key feature development and actively forms the roadmap for open source technologies found in many platforms, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Fedora 10, the tenth release in five years, features substantial virtualization improvements for remote installation and management of storage provisioning. These features will make system administration of virtual machine hosts and guests easier and more capable of automation, especially as they are integrated into Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Additionally, Fedora 10 includes NetworkManager connection sharing, allowing laptop users with an Ethernet or mobile broadband connection to provide Internet routing to others through the laptop wireless interface, for instant collaboration anywhere, anytime.

"With the release of Fedora 10, the Fedora Project continues its tradition of innovation and community. Fedora sets the standards for technical features that are relevant to everyone from desktop users to the business enterprise, and advance free software worldwide," said Frields.

This release includes the premiere of a new graphical boot system called Plymouth, designed to speed up the boot process by taking advantage of a new kernel mode setting feature. Plymouth was designed by Fedora contributors and targeted primarily at ATI cards, but will be expanded in the future to support a broader range of media cards. Fedora 10 also features increased hardware support for a vast array of webcams, and better handling of printers via both direct physical connections and networks. Further, PackageKit, a software management tool that originally debuted in Fedora 9, has been extended in this release to provide on-demand codec software installation.

Fedora 10 also enhances its commitment to security with a new security auditing and detection toolkit called SecTool, and a brand-new set of Python bindings that allow programmers to use the FIPS-140 validated NSS library for rapid development of secure applications. The distribution also extends the Live USB persistence feature that was pioneered in Fedora 9, adding support for a separate user data area with optional encryption for the ultimate experience in secure, portable computing. Among the many new and enhanced features, Fedora 10 includes the all-new OpenOffice.org 3.0 and GNOME 2.24.1, for maximum desktop productivity and ease of use; a rewritten audio system for faster response and lower power usage; a full set of appliance building tools; and support for more hardware than any other operating system.

The Fedora Project will host a Fedora Users and Developers Conference (FUDCon) from January 9-11, 2009, in Boston, Mass. A free event open to all attendees, FUDCon provides an opportunity for community members and key contributors to come together and dedicate time working on challenges of common interest, polishing code and developing new features for the next groundbreaking release of Fedora.

For more information on FUDCon, please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConF11.

For more information on Fedora 10, to download the distribution or to join this community effort, please visit http://fedoraproject.org/.

Read the Fedora 10 Release Notes, here: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Nice to see linux slowly developing into a normal OS.
Still SuSe feels the most 'normal' out of them all but still needs a lot of work with its Yast.

V

v-zero

Nice to see linux slowly developing into a normal OS.
Still SuSe feels the most 'normal' out of them all but still needs a lot of work with its Yast.

What defines normal in this instance? Is it the non-evolving clunky Windows by any chance?

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Fedora is probably the most cutting edge distro out there. Also, from my own experience it offers the greatest hardware support. For instance, it supports both my hardware and software RAID based configurations out of the box, neither Ubuntu or SuSE do that. Same goes for lot of my hardware as well. Including perfect support for my SLI configuration, which is a bit flaky under Ubuntu/SuSE.

Also, for the first time in over a decade since I've been tinkering around with Linux (my first distro was Red Hat back in 1997) a latest Linux distro supports more hardware than latest Windows offering. I'm speaking of Vista of course.

Two of my printers, one of my mice, a professional A/V capture card, 56K based external modem (this modem should work on any OS since it is hw/firmware based), and my X-Fi sound card/chipset all refuse to work.... on Vista. All this hardware works just fine on the latest Fedora offering. Linux vs WinOS, things have changed in the last decade. In a big way. Also, Fedora's file manager makes Windows Explorer like a broken-down Ford Pinto in comparison. Both in usability and raw speed.

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
Woot. Once I get a SATA drive, I'm migrating back to Fedora. :)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
These 6 month release cycles are killing me. I just got 9 completely tweaked to where I want it. :(

Is the Livna repo up for 10 yet?

ch13f121

Processor Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz
Motherboard DFI P35 Blood Iron
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 2x2gb GSKill PQ DDR800
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD4870 (820/1000)
Storage 2x 250gb Seagate Barracudas
Display(s) Gateway HD2200 22" Widescreen
Case Gigabyte 3dMars
Audio Device(s) Razer Barracuda AC-1
Power Supply Rosewill X750 750w
Software Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Too bad Fedora 10 doesn't detect my ICH9R RAID 0, the one thing it did well the last time I used Fedora. Works fine with 9, but if I upgrade to 10 it doesn't detect it.

Oh well, back to Ubuntu 8.10 until they fix it.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
What defines normal in this instance? Is it the non-evolving clunky Windows by any chance?

Dont get me wrong I work with linux everyday. I enjoy its performance as a http/database server and I wouldnt trade Kate editor for anything as it is simply the best and fastest editor for programming and theres no such tool for windows. But as a desktop station linux is still very tiny compared to the hated Windows. I used kde3 and 4 and you cannot do anything by intuition. Im not the last noob in computers but I cant change(find) screensaver settings in suse11 KDE4. Fact is that Windows is about 20 years ahead with GUI and IMHO all linux distros try to be Windows no matter what too much.

Its a nice tool for work but not for regular multitask home computer.

yosyp

System Name GOGOL
Processor AMD X4 640
Motherboard Gigabyte M55S-S3
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory 4 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
Storage WD 500 GB
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Case Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply PASS
Software WIN7 64
without mp3 and dvd playback support, no way that I will spend my time with this "OS".

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4