• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Lowers Warranty Period from 5 to 3 Years on Some Desktop Hard Drives

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
well then mr big shot why can't you find them on shelves anymore other than left over stock? When you send in a Maxtor drive that is still under warranty you send it to Seagate and they replace it with a Seagate Drive.

and here is a link to product software/support

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Rebo&Zooty

duno, we still see maxtor drives in office max and other places, also see them on sale alot(exernals mostly)

seagate may endup converting maxtor over to just making seagate drives, they said they wouldnt but who cares, seagate drives have been higher quility in the past then maxtor drives of the past, to me loosing hardware companys isnt anything new, and its not like we are short on hdd makers, hell the one miss in the ata market is fujitsu, they ROCKED, they would send you an airmail container to ship ur dead drive back in paying shiping both ways!!!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
duno, we still see maxtor drives in office max and other places, also see them on sale alot(exernals mostly)

seagate may endup converting maxtor over to just making seagate drives, they said they wouldnt but who cares, seagate drives have been higher quility in the past then maxtor drives of the past, to me loosing hardware companys isnt anything new, and its not like we are short on hdd makers, hell the one miss in the ata market is fujitsu, they ROCKED, they would send you an airmail container to ship ur dead drive back in paying shiping both ways!!!

see no reason to put a dead drive in a airmail container when its broken anyway.

Rebo&Zooty

see no reason to put a dead drive in a airmail container when its broken anyway.

hey, thats how they wanted them and they where paying, alot of why they did that i think was to insure they got the drive as it was when you shiped it insted of possable shock damnage from being droped or miss treated in shiping, this allowed them to figuar out why the drive failed and more easly track down potential problems in their designs, so they could correct said problems so the next revision wouldnt have that problem :)

same reasion some videocard makers pay shiping on dead cards back to them insted of making you ship it back.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
agree about maxtors in external cases, THO my 200 that cooked(somebody tossed a shirt over the external case stoping airflow) BUT the amazing thing, dispite all the data being fubard i was able to run hdd regenerator on the drive after a lowlevel format and the drives worked for YEARS since then without any problems, its got like 3 reallocated sectors(well within the safty limmits of the drive) quite impressed to be honest.

I havent had problems with any brand as much as WD over the 11+years i been geekin it, not counting the quantium bigfoot drives in compaq comps that where mounted verticaly(drive was not designed for that and infact warrned against it in white papers)

WRONG, seagate has hardly touched maxtors operations, they have had them upgrade to better motors(lower fail rates) but thats been about it, when maxtor bought quantium they absorbed them fully, that wasnt true for seagate with conner (old skool hdd maker) and it wasnt true for maxtor eather, tho eventually seagate did fully absorb conner, that was more about getting higher readability out of desktop level drives, conner where slow, but they where reliable as hell, shit i still got a couple of them around that been running for 10 years or more HAHA!!!!

i have worked in many shops and other then the ibm deathstars(made by hitchi but using componants IBM bought, bad cache chips mostly) WD has been the worst for fail rates.
No, all Maxtors are now rebadged Seagates. Seagate fully took over operations.

Rebo&Zooty

humm, well like i said, maxtor's still show up here at a few places(places that alwase sold maxtor) i really dont care about brand, as long as its not WD.

I do know seagate said at least at first that they wherent gonna desolve/obsorb maxtor like they had other hdd makers, again like i said, i really dont care, its not like the cpu market where we are short on hdd vendors ;)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
humm, well like i said, maxtor's still show up here at a few places(places that alwase sold maxtor) i really dont care about brand, as long as its not WD.

I do know seagate said at least at first that they wherent gonna desolve/obsorb maxtor like they had other hdd makers, again like i said, i really dont care, its not like the cpu market where we are short on hdd vendors ;)

The Maxtor brand still exists. The hardware is all rebadged Seagates tho.

Rebo&Zooty

ah, well, i havent had any problems with eather companys stuff other then a few slect models, and the cases of DOA/BOA stuff, but that happens form EVERY maker, build/upgrade enought systems and you are going to run into some bad stuff, i can say seagates and Maxtors RMA's have been less painfull and faster then WD's, hell both of them have upgraded me in the past when drives died!!!!

I worked for this company for 21 years of my life, to loose my job to some slant eyed bastads overseas who will work for peanuts. I pray this company goes bankrupt & all the share holders, ceo's etc, etc wind up in jail!!! Seagate sucks & please pull that god aweful logo off Sharks ice! :mad:

The guy overseas is in the same boat we: do you think if he could work for more than peanuts he wouldn't? Racial slurs belittle you and your message. While your outrage and anger sound well justified, your focus is in the wrong direction. More likely, your situation is the result of a decision by some round-eyed bastard who looks like you and me, lives here in the US and has an MBA, finance degree or accounting degree and has no concept of the importance of company loyalty to its employees. Given your length of service, your situation could well be the result of some such bastard in HR looking at older employees and the cost of benefits: you and other similarly treated Seagate employees may have an age discrimination suit.

As for the Warranty policy change, no more Seagate drives for me.

Rebo&Zooty

The guy overseas is in the same boat we: do you think if he could work for more than peanuts he wouldn't? Racial slurs belittle you and your message. While your outrage and anger sound well justified, your focus is in the wrong direction. More likely, your situation is the result of a decision by some round-eyed bastard who looks like you and me, lives here in the US and has an MBA, finance degree or accounting degree and has no concept of the importance of company loyalty to its employees. Given your length of service, your situation could well be the result of some such bastard in HR looking at older employees and the cost of benefits: you and other similarly treated Seagate employees may have an age discrimination suit.

yup, sad but true, I have lost more then one job to india or the like, one time saw it coming, talked to the guys higher up at the branch of the company i worked for, they where as pissed as i was, dispite not loosing their jobs, it was a desission from corp/central office to outsorce to other countrys because not only do they pay less to the employees( can hire up to 7 for each us employee in my case) they also get tax benifits and govt incentives for doing it, OUR OWN GOVT IS DOING THIS TO US, dont blame the guy who replaced you, he dosnt know you, or that hes replacing you, just that hes got a job making "decent" money where he lives and thats it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

Nope its all about the top Positions Making the most where the Actuall Workers Make the Least, they want cheap labor so they can get ahead, when in actuality it affects us all because there is no money flowing, thus no one gets ahead

Rebo&Zooty

Nope its all about the top Positions Making the most where the Actuall Workers Make the Least, they want cheap labor so they can get ahead, when in actuality it affects us all because there is no money flowing, thus no one gets ahead

well not really true, the people at the top make more, because they are paying less, they pocket that money and "cut and run" its what happened to the banks, the assholes who make all that money off the non-prime loans ran with the money they made leaving the banks they worked for to fail.

you can thank the US govt for their great help to the american public........

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
well not really true, the people at the top make more, because they are paying less, they pocket that money and "cut and run" its what happened to the banks, the assholes who make all that money off the non-prime loans ran with the money they made leaving the banks they worked for to fail.

you can thank the US govt for their great help to the american public........

well what about all the jobs that are being moved over seas then, i blame the top positions for making such a move or the ones right below them because they have their own agendas. As of Corporations