• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

tv tuners?

frankie827

System Name Gaming PC
Processor Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3@3.3ghz @ 1.376V | VID: 1.313V
Motherboard Evga Nvidia Nforce 680i LT SLI
Cooling 7x 12cm case fans+Xigmatek HDT-s1283 Dark Knight
Memory 4gb DDR2-800 Corsair XMS2
Video Card(s) 896mb Evga GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 (720/1515/1135)
Storage 2x 160gb Seagate Baraccudas + 1x 640gb Western Digital Caviar Green + 1x 1tb Samsung F1
Display(s) Sceptre 20.1" 1080P Widescreen
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE+Creative Fatal1ty Headset/Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround
Power Supply Silverstone Zeus 750watt
Software Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
Benchmark Scores 15883 on 3dmark06 w/ windows 7 beta @ 3.3ghz 13188 on 3dmark vantage w/ windows 7 beta @ 3.2ghz
hi
im looking for a high def tv tuner for my desktop. it has to be able to work with my high def cable box and it has to have 2 tuners/cable jacks. it also has to have a remote

and it MUST be from newegg

GameSinewPCs

Go browse Newegg for a tuner that suits your needs. You seem to know what it is you need. As for a tuner with dual cable jacks, I'm not sure if i've ever encountered such a product in the mainstream (non commercial).

frankie827

System Name Gaming PC
Processor Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3@3.3ghz @ 1.376V | VID: 1.313V
Motherboard Evga Nvidia Nforce 680i LT SLI
Cooling 7x 12cm case fans+Xigmatek HDT-s1283 Dark Knight
Memory 4gb DDR2-800 Corsair XMS2
Video Card(s) 896mb Evga GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 (720/1515/1135)
Storage 2x 160gb Seagate Baraccudas + 1x 640gb Western Digital Caviar Green + 1x 1tb Samsung F1
Display(s) Sceptre 20.1" 1080P Widescreen
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE+Creative Fatal1ty Headset/Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround
Power Supply Silverstone Zeus 750watt
Software Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
Benchmark Scores 15883 on 3dmark06 w/ windows 7 beta @ 3.3ghz 13188 on 3dmark vantage w/ windows 7 beta @ 3.2ghz
Go browse Newegg for a tuner that suits your needs. You seem to know what it is you need. As for a tuner with dual cable jacks, I'm not sure if i've ever encountered such a product in the mainstream (non commercial).

im just not sure which of the cards will survive through the DTV transfer

also on a side note....will the switch to DTV allow me to get all the channels that i get on my cable box? or am i completely wrong with that?

GameSinewPCs

Usually, a physical box is required to decode the extra channels provided by digital cable or DTV. The purpose of a TV tuner in your computer is it will act like a tuner located inside a tv. It is a median for accepting the already converted signal and will provide the inputs to your device/monitor/system. Most tuners are able to accept and convert Air signals or basic cable, but those are usually their limitations. So tentatively, I'd say that you will be needing to run a cable box (or dtv box) > tv tuner in order to receive a signal. So, find a tuner that has all of the inputs and capabilities that you require and go from there.

Keep in mind that the main purpose of a TV tuner on most computers is to (essentially) provide the cable/video inputs into your computer which can then be transfered to your monitor, recorded etc. Again, usually it is not the task of the tuner but rather the cable box to decode your cable or DTV signal. Like I said before, these tuners are very similar to the ones located in most tvs, and yet you still require the Box in order to get a signal with advanced tv offerings. Try plugging your tv directly into your coaxial wall plug or antenna and you should get an idea of what most tuners will be capable of without a box.

So in short, if you have a box > tuner/computer then you should be set.

Is that what you were asking?

Also, why do you require multiple coaxial inputs ?