• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Pirate Bay in Legal Soup, Owners Fined and Jailed

System Name Krogoth
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600G @stock
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2
Cooling Stock CPU cooler + 2x Intake 120mm @ 8v + 2x outtake 120mm @8v
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) PC4-28800 DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4GB GDDR5
Storage 1x 4tb WD HDD, 1x1Tb Intel m.2 SSD
Display(s) 2x 27" IPS on swing arms. @UHD
Case Antec Solo II
Audio Device(s) HyoperX Cloud 2 Wireless Headphones
Power Supply I forgot.
Mouse Logitech G302
Keyboard Lenovo legion K500 RGB
Software Windows 11 64bit
No. its a valid point.

What im trying to get at is that somehow Publishers need to be put in a bad spot and be forced to change their ways. Since all the issues with buying legit thats ive read in this thread are all caused by them. Just like Music companies have been forced to change by the emergence of itunes and a shift of the majority buying CD's, to the majority buying MP3's. Publishers need a kick in the pants.

System Name Crushits Computer
Processor Intel 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8p67 pro rev3.1
Cooling Water
Memory 4 gig OCZ Platinum
Video Card(s) xfx 6950 flashed to xfx 6970
Storage 3x 200 seagates, 2x 250 segates 1x 320 segate 1x640 WD
Display(s) Asus 27 inch
Case Thermaltake Armor 8000
Audio Device(s) Audigy gamer
Power Supply Mushkin Joule 1000
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate + Win10 LTSC + Win10 Enterprise
that is the truest thing I have heard in a long time

Thats only if your going after the copyright material, you should know better. There is so much legal stuff to download, Linux, TV shows etc, CBC documentaries, theirs so much more to download from p2p,I can't list them all.
Have a question to the group. If a copyrighted program has been changed from the original by someone else, does it still make it illegal to download since it isn't the original. As far as I'm concerned the changed program is owned by the person who uploaded it. Just a thought.

FryingWeesel

Just adding my two cents on the Australia Issue:

I Support Pirating. BECAUSE:

Music Companies wont change their prices untill they are forced too. Look at Metalica. They released an Album online as MP3's even after 10 years of Anti-Napster, Anti-Download bs.
ITunes and Mobile Phone downloads make a fortune. And in Australia, the cost of CD's has gone down. It used to be $35/album. now its $20/album.

Game Publishers are largely to blame for games being pushed early without being properly completed. I have a friend who worked on the PS2 version of Starwars: Forces Unleashed and the Xbox version of Viva Pinata.
According to him Publishers give the dev rights to the company that can do it the fastest, cheapest and drop that developer if they miss even ONE milestone.
Poor bastard has had so many all-nighter work sessions...
STEAM allows game developers to skip publishers all together. So if you want to help change the way the industry is, buy from steam.

STEAM is BLAH, if you want to see a good company that offers a KICKASS game engine AND service to sell your games AND even allow you to distribute them via web browser check this out.
http://instantaction.com brought to you by the guys at http://www.garagegames.com/

also stardock publishes for independant devs as well, not just larger more known devs like gas powered games.

Steam is an "ok" option, but i feel that IA and stardocks "impulse driven" service offer a better option for most game developers to get their indi games out for the masses.

Who will pay for that game to be made ?

I don't want to come across as a dick but thats a pretty big flaw :p

the developers will, You know most of the long term successfull dev houses started out making games using their own money to fund said projects, take a look at the games on http://instantaction.com they dont got a "publisher" forcing them to get games out b4 they are ready, infact IA/GG would rather the devs get it ready for openbeta, then offer the openbeta via IA, on into the full game, this means the game dosnt go "retail" till its truely ready to do so.

btw little hist about GG, it was started by ex-dynamix employees when sierra/vug closed down the company, they bought the rights to the "dark star" game engine(the engine used in tribes1 and starsiege) and have spent years enhancing and advancing it, its ever bit as capable as the big name engines, and the bit bennifit of using it over those big name engines is COST, you can get an indi licence for $295USD, they offer other licence options that keep the cost down for developers and allow them to produce and sell games at a reasonable price.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3D

i know some of the IA/GG guys pretty well, and if you need help, somebody will most likely be willing to take a few min and give you some, they are great guys.

FryingWeesel

Thats only if your going after the copyright material, you should know better. There is so much legal stuff to download, Linux, TV shows etc, CBC documentaries, theirs so much more to download from p2p,I can't list them all.
Have a question to the group. If a copyrighted program has been changed from the original by someone else, does it still make it illegal to download since it isn't the original. As far as I'm concerned the changed program is owned by the person who uploaded it. Just a thought.

tv shows arent leigal to download in the US, nobody really goes after shows that are on free tv stations, but HBO and other "preimum" service shows(dead like me and stargate where good examples) are NOT safe to download.(well both those shows are now safe to download mostly, but only because they have aired on scifi chan)

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Why not pirate?

You get everything for FREE. It's a WIN WIN situation!

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
Why not pirate?

I totally agree but peerguardian or proxy is a good thing to have.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Pirate bay lives that all im worried about and D no more post like last night ya mega scared me saying PB was down. :p

FryingWeesel

Why not pirate?

hey, I aint gonna say I am not a pirate, but I will point out when somebody elses logic/facts are FLAWED.

I go a "viking" quite regularly(the word viking orignaly ment something like roaming, and was not the name of a spicific group of people)

I sales the dark underbelly of the intranetz, I know where to go when I need something I cant afford or refuse to buy(fuck buying anything from atari,vug,EA or their ilk)

I do feel i have some justification in my actions, and if I really like something I endup buying it, normaly if its a VUG/atari/EA product i get it 2nd hand for 5-10bucks, way i see it, they dont deserve my money after the ammoung all of them have taken without giving me back proper value(support)

TPB sucks, but i do use their trackers at times on torrents I MAKE(mostly audio books i make using text to speech software, stuff thats not got audio versions avalable and/or is out of print)

i use a few other sites, wont name any here, ya dirty heathans aint getting my sorces :p

FryingWeesel

I totally agree but peerguardian or proxy is a good thing to have.

peerguardian is a JOKE, its USELESS
http://fora.demonoid.com/index.php?topic=25342.0
read that post, it explains why using peerguardian is STUPID and just gives people a false sence of security.

I do use a filters.ini with utorrent, but it mostly blocks those companys that seed fake parts to torrents so i dont gotta wait at 99.9% for a week trying to get a valid part :p

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Well we all know News Groups FTW

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
peerguardian is a JOKE, its USELESS
http://fora.demonoid.com/index.php?topic=25342.0
read that post, it explains why using peerguardian is STUPID and just gives people a false sence of security.

I do use a filters.ini with utorrent, but it mostly blocks those companys that seed fake parts to torrents so i dont gotta wait at 99.9% for a week trying to get a valid part :p

Its useful according to the release groups that make and distribute the hacks.... but I guess you know more than them? Its in many different groups' release notes.

Hey maybe you are right but I would trust the releasers of the content more than a random guy on the internet. But you could be right so I will not debate it with you. ;)

Well we all know News Groups FTW

My favorite to fall back on is IRC. I can find just about anything that way. :toast:

Processor Intel 2500k
Cooling Water
Display(s) Asus 27 inch
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
tv shows arent leigal to download in the US, nobody really goes after shows that are on free tv stations, but HBO and other "preimum" service shows(dead like me and stargate where good examples) are NOT safe to download.(well both those shows are now safe to download mostly, but only because they have aired on scifi chan)

I don't see the difference, our cableboxes have hard drives in them so you can record, and that is any program,tv shows, movies. To download from the net is no difference, its all coming down the same pipeline. One of the selling points for the PVR is to be able to record what ever you want, so I do. If the HD movie is good I'll transfer to the computer and put it on dvd.
When I signed up with cable, its also my internet provider,nowhere in my contract does it say I can't download specific items off the net. Nowhere does it say I can't download copyrighted material. All it says is what package I'm getting and how much its going to cost. If downloading copyrighted material was illegal, you would think their would be a disclaimer on the contract making me aware of it, so I can't hold them responsible for not explaining to me what I can and can't do. Big grey area here in Canada. As most of you are aware we pay taxes on blank media so copyright holders get paid. Again more grey area. Which is why I like our governing system.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
As most of you are aware we pay taxes on blank media so copyright holders get paid. Again more grey area. Which is why I like our governing system.

I would not like that... thats crazy. :laugh:

Processor Intel 2500k
Cooling Water
Display(s) Asus 27 inch
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
I would not like that... thats crazy. :laugh:

No its not crazy, we are by law allowed to download music, its a better system then having the RIAA Gestapo send letters to people and extort money because the majority can't afford to fight them in court.Thats the American way:toast: Someone from the WhiteHouse probably sent out a directive to the RIAA not to clog up the courts with frivolous music downloaders. Do what ever you want, extortion works. Can you imagine what more of a laughing stock the USA would be if they started sending thousands of music downloaders to prison because they couldn't pay $75,000 or more per song. Thier system is a complete joke. Sig Hiel to their Kapitalism gone Kaput.

Last edited:

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
so do you canadins need to pay the extra tax on your 1tb HD's as well? or is it just for cd/dvd?

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
It would be cheaper for me to pay you $10 and postage, have you thought of reselling.:pimp:

good deal fro me , but the i have problem with shipment i also like buy some good stuff from outside like pc parts , but there is no way right now for cheap shipment
Won't it be in arabic :p

no , it is like what you use , like original one
:laugh: I can just hear the board of American tourism now:

"Come to Iraq for the cheap DVDs and stay for the IEDs!"

:laugh: , i see always the american soldiers buy video and audio cd's from our markets

Processor Intel 2500k
Cooling Water
Display(s) Asus 27 inch
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Apparently, the water under this subject is starting to boil:
http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/20/a-turning-point-for-online-piracy/

An excerpt:
There was plenty of online chatter this weekend about file sharing and Internet piracy.

This follows Friday’s news that four people who ran a popular file-sharing site called Pirate Bay were found guilty of violating copyright law in Sweden.

On Forbes.com, a Harvard professor says Google is the new Pirate Bay. The search engine serves the same function as the piracy sites by enabling people to steal copyrighted content, the professor says.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
No its not crazy, we are by law allowed to download music, its a better system then having the RIAA Gestapo send letters to people and extort money because the majority can't afford to fight them in court.Thats the American way:toast: Someone from the WhiteHouse probably sent out a directive to the RIAA not to clog up the courts with frivolous music downloaders. Do what ever you want, extortion works. Can you imagine what more of a laughing stock the USA would be if they started sending thousands of music downloaders to prison because they couldn't pay $75,000 or more per song. Thier system is a complete joke. Sig Hiel to their Kapitalism gone Kaput.

Oh yeah Canada is the best place in the world. :laugh: Its definately not the worst place, but I don't see the need for nationalistic statements supporting Canada either. Its only natural for these organizations to target the largest markets and "largest offenders" first to them. Canada just laid down and taxed its people to give these content providers some cash.... thats the definition of extortion. :D

If they succeed in the big markets they will move onto smaller markets like Canada. Your tax on media doesn't protect you. I wonder what made you think it did. It was a victory for content providers and not the public.

Copyrights are protected by international treaties that Canada signed.

Oh yeah Canada is the best place in the world. :laugh: Its definately not the worst place, but I don't see the need for nationalistic statements supporting Canada either. Its only natural for these organizations to target the largest markets and "largest offenders" first to them. Canada just laid down and taxed its people to give these content providers some cash.... thats the definition of extortion. :D

If they succeed in the big markets they will move onto smaller markets like Canada. Your tax on media doesn't protect you. I wonder what made you think it did. It was a victory for content providers and not the public.

Agreed! This is fining everyone whether they deserve it or not. Typical socialistic mentality.

FryingWeesel

Its useful according to the release groups that make and distribute the hacks.... but I guess you know more than them? Its in many different groups' release notes.

Hey maybe you are right but I would trust the releasers of the content more than a random guy on the internet. But you could be right so I will not debate it with you. ;)

My favorite to fall back on is IRC. I can find just about anything that way. :toast:

yeah and if a car sales man tells you that dumping some sawdust in your engin block will make it knock less your gonna belive them to.....

i been doing this for years, the number of people i see that get letters when RUNNING PG2 with FULLY UPDATED LISTS is far higher then that of people who dont run that crap.

as to hacks/cracks, NOBODY CARES ABOUT HACKS and CRACKS.

but hey, enjoy your slow download speeds AND huge false sence of security, i tryed to help, i even gave a link with HIGHLY detailed explination of why PG2 sucks and is utterly useless.

corse anybody whos been in "the scene" or saling the high seas of the intranetz under belly very long already knows that pg2 isnt gonna stop all the spys the riaa/mpaa/exct pay to download this shit just to log your ip addy(its nolonger just done from company offices, its mostly done from HOMES now.

i will have to show some people off the noid irc your posts....they will enjoy the lulz of yet another ***** thinking pg2 is saving them from getting a letter!!!

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
:laugh: , i see always the american soldiers buy video and audio cd's from our markets
Ya know man after I said that I thought it might be taken the wrong way. I'm really glad you took it as humor and not a dig at your country man. :toast:

Processor Intel 2500k
Cooling Water
Display(s) Asus 27 inch
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech

Sometimes it takes a person from a developing nation to cut to the core, here is his quote And I have underlined what I have been trying to get across.

One user from India writes, "When I use uTorrent to download torrent files from TPB I notice most of my peers are from rich countries downloading the same music I want but is prohibitively expensive in my country. Why are they downloading too if they are citizens of developed countries? It is only because they too feel that they are being over-charged for their entertainment about which they can do nothing but take subversive measures against the injustice and exploitation of cartels who have used their influence in government to enact laws which makes their own consumers thieves." When someone "feels" overcharged for something they want, taking it instead has become ethically allowable—a point confirmed by the fact that "millions of users" are doing it.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Sometimes it takes a person from a developing nation to cut to the core, here is his quote And I have underlined what I have been trying to get across.

One user from India writes, "When I use uTorrent to download torrent files from TPB I notice most of my peers are from rich countries downloading the same music I want but is prohibitively expensive in my country. Why are they downloading too if they are citizens of developed countries? It is only because they too feel that they are being over-charged for their entertainment about which they can do nothing but take subversive measures against the injustice and exploitation of cartels who have used their influence in government to enact laws which makes their own consumers thieves." When someone "feels" overcharged for something they want, taking it instead has become ethically allowable—a point confirmed by the fact that "millions of users" are doing it.

:laugh: I feel over charged for a lot of things. Theft never crossed my mind however.