• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Pirate Bay in Legal Soup, Owners Fined and Jailed

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
hate to tell you this m8, but in the states they DO NOT TAKE IT BACK, the store wont take back any software you have opened PERIOD, they MAY let you exchange it for another one, that they open b4 you can leave the store.

Most software sold in the states(usa) is "if you opened the box, you agreed to the eula" so your pretty much screwed. you have the "right" to send the software back to the publisher with a receipt and they are spota pay you back but many of them do it via vouchers for anoter game or app, or the like.

effectivly , once you pay for it, and open it, your stuck with it.

I hear the UK has better laws, as to most other countrys, but well, I know all to well how it works in the states.

Firstly, I'm stating what's in the EULA. You have every right to claim the money right from the retailer, and the retailer from his distributor, and high up. You are not approaching the company for your refund, hence the argument is void.

Secondly, like I said, in cases where software vendors use a "once opened you agree to the EULA" policy, they have to provide you with the EULA before you open it. To do so, they print the URL to EULA published online, or provide the entire EULA printed, so you could read. In case you don't agree, you could return the software unopened.

Also, neither of us have surveyed the market, so you can't generalize on an entire market....unless you're a surveying firm with a global footprint.

wakawakawaka

The thing is the publishers don't promise it will work on your pc so it isn't fraud. Games that have flaws are just like cars that have flaws. It isn't broken it just needs improved. If they say it WILL work on every pc everywhere and it doesn't that is fraud.

then what are system requierments?

what about games that constantly crash, or are unplayable online but are advertised for their online play?

what about games that have DRM that dosnt like your computer/os despite it being within the requirements on the box, making it impossible for you to play the game you payed for?

say I go out and buy quake5(just an example) it says i need
core2duo or amd athlon64 x2 cpu
1gb of ram
256mb or better dx10 videocard
8gb free hdd space
dvd-rom drive
windows vista(ofcorse)
I payed say 65usd for this game

I then toss the disk in and install, the game installer crashes a few times, but i eventuly get it installed.

I then go and load up my game, and get a message that the disk isn't genuine/orignal and as such I cant play the game.

Due to the EULA I cant take it back to the store and get my money back......

thats ok to you isnt it? I mean they didnt guarntee it would run on my
athlon64 x2 6000+
6gb ddr2
512mb 9800gtx+
1+tb free space
windows vista system did they?

wakawakawaka

Firstly, I'm stating what's in the EULA. You have every right to claim the money right from the retailer, and the retailer from his distributor, and high up. You are not approaching the company for your refund, hence the argument is void.

Secondly, like I said, in cases where software vendors use a "once opened you agree to the EULA" policy, they have to provide you with the EULA before you open it. To do so, they print the URL to EULA published online, or provide the entire EULA printed, so you could read. In case you don't agree, you could return the software unopened.

Also, neither of us have surveyed the market, so you can't generalize on an entire market....unless you're a surveying firm with a global footprint.

i can tell you, in the states, no store will give you a refund on any ms product that's been opened, if you want your money back, you gotta contact Microsoft, and ship them the original package and receipt and wait for a refund(can take 6-9 months)

stores in the states dont take open software back, they use to, but alot of publishers refused to refund the money to the store, using piracy and such as excuses, or they did the same 6+ month wait for a refund/replacement package that ms will with refunds on office or windows.

If you wish to know how I know this, I have worked retail, as well as bought plenty of software(Till i got sick of being ripped off....)

ms is one of the easier ones to deal with, but they are still slow as hell......

never will understand how people can say its fine that company's do this shit to their customers, if i buy something, i bloody well own it, and expect it to get decent support or i expect my money back.