• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rebuilding RAID1 freezes computer (long)

Tan DJ

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
Motherboard Abit AN52 nVidia NF 520 HT2000 Socket AM2 Motherboard
Cooling Stock cooler, 1 rear 120cm fan, 1 front 120cm fan 1 side 80cm fan
Memory DDR2 4G(2x2G)PC6400 800Mhz Heatspreader G.Skill
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Storage SAMSUNG SP0802N 80Gb, 2 X Seagate SATAII NCQ 500GB 7200RPM 32mb Cache(ST3500320AS) - RAID1 (mobo)
Display(s) Benq FP72G
Case Thermaltake - Soprano
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650w
Software Windows XP Pro SP3
Benchmark Scores 3dMark6 - 4661
Hi,

I appologise for the length of this post, but this issue has been plaguing me for about a week now, and I've tried a few things already.

I have an aBit AN52 mobo with 2 Seagate 500gb SATA drives which I'd configured as RAID1 via the BIOS when I first built this machine a year and a half ago. (With Windows XP pro)

I have not had ANY problems with it until about a week ago, when the computer hung while using MyVirtualHome. MVH has hung before, and the computer has restarted ok and occasionally after an MVH hang, it would perform a chkdsk on rebuild.

But just last week, when MVH hung, windows wanted to perform a chkdsk.

It completed pass 1 reasonably quickly, but when it got to pass 2 it started the index verification, but never got past 0%. After it had been running awhile, the disk activity light stopped flashing. after waiting about an hour, I gave up and restarted the computer, but this time, during POST the NVraid bios showed 2 raid arrays - one degraded and one in error.

So I entered the BIOS and deleted the errored raid set, and re-added that drive to the original raid set. Then when windows started, sometimes it would only get as far as the login screen before freezing, othertimes I could login, but it would freeze within 2 - 5 minutes.

Rebooting would sometimes show the 1 raid array in a rebuilding state, but eventually would show 2 arrays again with one in the error state.

I found that if I changed the second disk (that was being assigned to the second errored array) from being part of the raid, and deleting all partition details on that disk I could boot up windows ok without any problem, but I could not run chkdsk without it hanging on the second pass. (including boot time chkdsk - had to bypass the boot time chkdsk to start windows. But there was now an issue where Windows freezes during shutdown.

So eventually, I installed windows on my 80gb IDE drive, and found that I could run chkdsk of my original boot disk (currently in a degraded state) and it corrected 3 index errors. I also got it to scan for bad sectors, but it found none. This new install also has the problem of windows freezing during shutdown.

Now I could boot off my original install without the problems during start up. However
Once the chkdsk problem was solved, I thought I'd try re-attaching the second disk, and found that the computer would freeze when the resync reached about 1% complete.

I noticed that my nvraid driver is v5.10.2600.925 but that the latest version available from the abit web site is v5.10.2600.0995, so I thought I'd update to the latest driver.

On reboot, windows would now only get to the point where the Windows logo starts to fade in, and then the system would reboot. Booting in safemode, I could see it get up to a specific driver and then it would reboot. Sorry, can't remember which one it got up to.

At this point I was almost at the point where I thought I'd have to reinstall windows, :banghead: but I tried a couple of reboots where I selected Last Known Good Configuration, and after about 3 attempts I succeeded in getting my computer to boot - raid driver now back to 925 version.

So I removed the disk from the raid again, and this time I partitioned it and formated it from windows XP, and performed a chkdsk /r on it, and when it finished, it showed 24kb in bad sectors.

Question: Would these bad sectors be what is causing me to have so much trouble reattaching this drive to my mirror? And why doesn't the nvraid driver report anyh problems with that disk?.

Also, why am I having trouble with windows freezing when I shutdown?

(I'm not going to make any attempts at reattaching that drive for the time being - probably have to wait until I get a new one.)

(FYI there were a large number of messages like "The device, \Device\Scsi\nvgts1, did not respond within the timeout period." in the event log while performing the chkdsk /r, and there have been quite a few of these for the past week)

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Could be a failing controller too, however the fact that it reported any bad sectors through windows is a sign of a drive failure. newer drives have self monitoring for sectors and have a spare amount of sectors that are unreported for moving data to when it detects a problem on the disk. So it has already ran out of spares and has reverted to using disk space.

Backup and run seatools on both.

Tan DJ

Storage SAMSUNG SP0802N 80Gb, 2 X Seagate SATAII NCQ 500GB 7200RPM 32mb Cache(ST3500320AS) - RAID1 (mobo)
Display(s) Benq FP72G
I'll have a look at seatools.

If the problem is the controller failing, what would be the easiest way to migrate to a new proper non-MOBO RAID controller? Can I just disable the RAID on the motherboard and still access the existing disks without corrupting the data that's on there?

Tan DJ

Display(s) Benq FP72G
I just downloaded and installed SeaTools for Windows, and when I run it, I get a popup with a title "Fatal Error: Device Discovery" that says "Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length System.String InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32, Int32, Boolean)"