• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VIA Nano Processor Brings Higher Performance to Media Servers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator of power efficient x86 processor platforms, today announces the VIA VB8002 Mini-ITX board targeted at media server markets. The VIA VB8002 brings the superior performance efficiency of the VIA Nano processor to consumer-focused server products that require the right blend of power efficiency and raw processing performance.

The VIA VB8002 Mini-ITX board continues VIA's drive into compact, power-efficient multimedia server markets and is designed to meet the needs of consumers who not only want to securely store, manage and share their media libraries, but also stream high quality content in their homes.

"The VIA Nano processor is ideally suited to server applications that require superb performance in tandem with great power efficiency," said Daniel Wu, Vice President, VIA Embedded Platform Division, VIA Technologies, Inc. "We are convinced that the VIA VB8002 board will be applauded by system integrators as the most well balanced, feature-rich media server platform available."

Equipped with the advanced 1.6GHz VIA Nano processor and unified VIA CX700M2 media system processor, the 17cm x 17cm Mini-ITX form factor VIA VB8002 brings superb multimedia performance to a comprehensive feature set, offering system integrators the ultimate media server solution.

With an onboard digital HDTV encoder for high-definition video resolutions, VIA Vinyl 7.1 channel HD audio for a rich audio experience and a range of consumer I/O options including composite and component RCA ports, DVI and S-Video ports, S/PDIF audio, and onboard connectors for LVDS and TV out, the VIA VB8002 is well equipped for today's digital media applications.

About the VIA Nano Processor
Building on the market-leading energy efficiency of the VIA C7 processor family, the new VIA Nano processor uses a 64-bit, out of order, superscalar architecture that has been specifically designed to deliver truly optimized performance for the most demanding multimedia and entertainment applications.

The VIA Nano processor places significant emphasis on high-performance floating-point execution, using a completely new algorithm for floating-point calculations that helps facilitate smooth playback of high resolution, advanced video codecs.

The excellent computational performance of the VIA Nano processor is coupled with aggressive thermal and power management, naturally resulting in a market leading performance-per-watt ratio. Thus the VIA Nano processor addresses the need for enhanced stability and lower energy consumption in consumer device design.

About the VIA VB8002 Mini-ITX Board
The VIA VB8002 Mini-ITX board is powered by a 1.6GHz VIA Nano processor and the VIA CX700M2 media system processor, bringing advanced digital multimedia performance and support for a wide range of digital media technologies appropriate for the wider consumer electronics market.

The VIA VB8002 integrates a number of digital media features, including an onboard HDTV encoder which utilizes an advanced ASIC with VIA's Advance ProScale Technology to scale regular input resolutions up to standard HDTV resolution output. The VIA UniChrome Pro II integrated graphics processor (IGP) supports hardware MPEG-2/-4 and WMV9 acceleration and includes the Chromotion CE engine for crystal clear video playback.

A plethora of I/O configurations are possible with back panel I/O connectors for DVI, S-Video and component and composite RCA outputs as well as coaxial and optical S/PDIF connectors for unparalleled display and TV connectivity. On board pin headers include support for LVDS and TV out for SCART (with optional D-terminal also included). Two S-ATA ports provide ample storage while onboard Gigabit Ethernet ensures fast data transfer speeds and smooth media streaming.

The VIA VB8002 supports Microsoft Windows XP, XPe, CE, and Linux operating systems.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Hurray! Hurrah! The VIA Nano processor! At last ;)

Now we know this is faster that the Atom 270. But how does it compare to a Atom 330. Someone at TPU please do a heads-to-head :) The lastest iTX from all camps (intel, VIA, nV Ion AspireRevo )

Processor Core i7-930
Motherboard Asus P6T
Memory 2x2GB Corsair DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus HD4850-1GB
Storage OCZ Summit 120GB
Display(s) Dual Dell SP2208WFP 22in
Power Supply Corsair 520HX
o yea, I feel either the Ion platform w/ the 330 or the Asus EEE box 208 will be best (the asus integrated a radeon 3400 onto the board!, but I'm not sure if it'll use a 270 or 330 =( ) at least until dual core nano's come out later this year on Via's new itx platform

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Why did VIA pack this board with electrolytic capacitors?! I would gladly pay a few bucks extra for the improved reliability of solid caps.

Processor Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock Z87E-ITX
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB Gskill 2133MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Storage 256GB Corsair M4, 240GB Samsung 840
Display(s) 27" 1440p Achevia Shimian
Case Fractal Node 304
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Ugh.... just let Unichrome die....

The S3 Chrome 9 is an excellent alternative with tons more horsepower, options, and not a huge increase in power (as far as I understand) and other Nano based boards use it.... why go back to such an old and decrepit IGP when you're trying to make it a multimedia platform?