• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia 680i lt boot up problem

iJatt

so pretty much remove the CPU retention bracket and install my heatsink as i normally would and walla?

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
so pretty much remove the CPU retention bracket and install my heatsink as i normally would and walla?

Ya reinstall your heatsink fan if you think you have a temp problem.

iJatt

if i remove the cpu retention bracket, could i possibly hurt the cpu?

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
if i remove the cpu retention bracket, could i possibly hurt the cpu?

You using the stock Intel heatsink? or are you talking about an aftermarket heatsink or something else?

iJatt

i have a cooler master tx2 aftermarket cooler dude. my temps are still high 40's for cpu man :(

exactly what do i have to do to get normal temps?

okay what im asking is can i remove where it says foxconn, can i remove that bracket thing? http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/images/s775-cpu/s775-closed.jpg
I dont think my cooler is making contact with my cpu all that much

Last edited:

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
i have a cooler master tx2 aftermarket cooler dude. my temps are still high 40's for cpu man :(

exactly what do i have to do to get normal temps?

okay what im asking is can i remove where it says foxconn, can i remove that bracket thing? http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/images/s775-cpu/s775-closed.jpg
I dont think my cooler is making contact with my cpu all that much

The link is messed up.

40c on idle is pretty normal for a CPU. But if your saying the aftermarket cooler its working up to what you thought try some new thermal paste and a reinstall.

iJatt

already did all that and still no change. i dont think my heatsink is making full contact with cpu...

that's why i was wondering if i can remove the thing in blue, i have uploaded a image

Attachments

• p965p_CPU.jpg
    p965p_CPU.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 366

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
already did all that and still no change. i dont think my heatsink is making full contact with cpu...

that's why i was wondering if i can remove the thing in blue, i have uploaded a image

No you shouldn't take that off, it holds the CPU down into the socket.

iJatt

that is what the problem is, the cpu in kinda below the level its suppose to be

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Yeah, those temps probably aren't that high considering it is near 80 degrees (F) in your room. On my 680i LT my processor runs about 30 degrees (C) when it is 68-70 degress (F) in my room. Of course that is OC'ed with nice air cooling and the processor is lapped. (10+ fans in the case).

I would recheck the seating of your heatsink. Are you sure all 4 clips are tightly clipped to the motherboard? I had problems with running too hot when I originally got the board and realized that one of the clips wasn't making a tight connect with the motherboard.

You should enter your system specs so we know what you are working with.

Last edited:

That is the item I was talking about removing from the hinge when I mentioned the test previously. Don't be afraid to test this out, but don't feel like you HAVE to do it..

Many people will say just put in the thermal paste the way intel intends, a big ol pea size gob in the middle and let the heat and pressure spread it out..

This is TOOO much thermal paste... The reason they have been suggesting doing this is because the methods that we used to use; "credit card swiping" or plastic baggy over our fingers; does not work with this socket type very well... so ... yeah or I could stay like an ostrich with my head in the sand.... and mention nothing about it...

I have found on my 680i board and two different cpu's that the temperatures and bsod's were because the retention bracked does indeed deflect the IHS and create a low spot where the CPU die resides, and will not make flush contact with the heatsink and rely's only on the thick layer of thermal grease... If you had a lapped IHS like on my qx6700; you could literally see the reflections of a flat surface start to "BEND" while you lock the cpu down....

My brothers intel based board did not push that hard or unevently on the CPU compared to my 680i board..

I had this problem with an intel E6600 and QX6700 on my 680i board. The bracket pressure on the IHS will not provide a flat enough surface to use a propper thin coating application of thermal transfer grease/compound..

You can easily test to see if your bracket is bending the IHS without removing the CPU retainer, or the CPU from the socket.. Put a small peice of carbon paper facing a small piece of plain white paper between the CPU and heatsink, then install the heatsink, then remove the heatsink and look at the plain white paper for a contact patern..

You may see area's with darker marks, near the edges of the IHS, instead of the center, where the actual cpu die is located, this is not good.... If you don't have carbon paper, use a very thin skim coat of thermal compound, then install and remove the CPU heatsink/cooler and look at the patern.. Where the CPU does not contact the IHS correctly, the thermal goop will be thicker, or not touching at all.. It usually looks like a thicker line of goop down the middle on quad cores, and may look like a thinned out open ended pair of brackets with a dual core.

As I mentioned above, removing the retainer bracket from the socket hinge, is another way to test if you have this issue; by comparing your temperatures before and after removing the CPU retainer clip from the socket hinge; using only a skim coat of goop.. If you have a flat contact patch without the retainer bracket, you'll see the results as much lower load temps as there is less thermal insulation between the base of the Cooler and the top of the IHS compared to what is required to get it working with the CPU retainer bracket locked down....

The situation that I have on my 680i, I have had the CPU retainer bracket disconnected from the socket for a couple years..

I had been Using just the OEM heatsink to hold the CPU down flat against the contact pins, but decided that bolt down was the only real secure way to go..

Trust me, the bracket sucks; it bends the CPU IHS on duals and quads, it's especially bad on quads because of the way quads are made; the silicon is split into two cores, right down the middle of the CPU, where the bracket puts the most pressure.. with all those tiny pins pushing up from the other side.. The combination of forces acts like when you grab a pencil an put your two thumbs in the middle, and the rest of your fingers around the back and press in opposite directions.. The bracket deflects the entire CPU substrate right down the middle of the CPU between the two cores of quads...

Ensure that the CPU is lined up in the socket; the right way around, and that the locator tabs don't overlap where they are not supposed to; then carefully line the cooler up with the heatsink cooler retention holes, so that all of the little tabs are just lined up with the holes, but the cooler isn't touching the CPU yet.. Then push the cooler straight onto the cpu slowely and carefully, so that you do not twist, or re-lift up on the CPU cooler and don't allow the cooler to tilt or move while you are installing and locking the cooler's retainer clips in place....

The stock intel/clip type heatsink retainer is strong enough to hold the cpu and heatsink against the motherboard, however, I would not trust to leave it fixed like this for long unless you have a bolt through "secure" heatsink..

Try it out... Don't worry too much as long as you are carefull in holding the heatsink down against the processor and firmly into the socket with one hand, or have someone help you hold the heatsink down, while you press and lock the retainers in two corners at a time....
Always test that the retainers are actually pressed into place as there will be more force on the retainers without the CPU retainer bracket installed, due to the pressure of the spring loaded contact pins in the socket...
The reason I say be very carefull, if it tilts sideway's there's a chance at damaging the socket pins.. or scratching the base of the CPU near the contacts area, or slipping off the CPU entirely and mucking up components on the board.. so

Attachments

• cpubend1.jpg
    cpubend1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 358
  • cpubend2.jpg
    cpubend2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 350
  • nocpuclip.jpg
    nocpuclip.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 363
  • sinkclip.jpg
    sinkclip.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
wow something weird happened to TPU while I was trying to upload my pics! couldn't get back on here for a while, just kept timing out.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i removed my cover for the socket as well some time ago - keep in mind its rather dangerous, as if one of the pins on the CPU heatsink comes loose, your CPU can actually fall out of the socket while in use - that would be very bad. its also bad cause when you take the heatsink off, the CPU will come out with it.

In the end i merely straightened mine and put it back on.

That's not a bad idea! I seem to have missplaced the bracket, but I'll try that when I find it.