• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Staring at 140W Barrier with Phenom II X4 965?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Two of AMD's biggest setbacks with the 65 nm Phenom X4 series were 1. the TLB erratum fiasco with the B2 revision of the chip, and 2. the virtual TDP wall it hit with the 2.60 GHz Phenom X4 9950, at 140W. At that wattage, several motherboards were rendered incompatible with the processor because they lacked the power circuitry that could handle it. The company eventually worked out a lower-wattage 125W variant of the said chip, and went on to never release a higher-clocked processor based on the core.

MSI published the complete CPU support list of its a new BIOS for the 790GX-G65 motherboard a little early, revealing quite some about unreleased AMD processors. At the bottom of the list its the Phenom II X4 965. This 3.40 GHz quad-core chip will succeed the Phenom II X4 955 as AMD next flagship desktop offering. Its TDP is an alarming 140W. Alarming, because this is a chip with a mere 2 unit bus multiplier increment over the Phenom II X4 940, the launch-vehicle for AMD's 45 nm client processor lineup. There are, however, two things to cheer about. RB-C2 is not going to be the only revision of this core, future revisions could bring TDP down, or at least make sure clock-speeds of future models keep escalating, while respecting the 140W mark. A future variant of Phenom II 965 could come with a reduced TDP rating. The list interestingly also goes on to reveal that AMD will have a 95W version of the 3.00 GHz Phenom II X4 945.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Jesus, that's more than a Core i7 965 with HT and Turbo on. :wtf:

I hope they don't start a TDP war. :(

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
They need to bin (I don't really mean bin, but w/e) these chips better. You can run 3.4 ghz on what, 1.25v?

If they'd drop the volts on the BEs, then they wouldn't have to worry about high TDP at stock clock. Noobs. :laugh:

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
Bring on the HEEEEATTTT :rockout:

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
:eek: amd`s prescott

Kitkat

yeah see i knew they already had (from previous anoucment) a lowered (required) twp i was unsure if 965 would have it and i guess not but my 955s ok for now, like i said in previous post too id like to see 975 i thought theyd skip 965 anyway. But good info on the revision sounds nice. I also hear too that half the info thats out about it is false even what mobo manus are posting (from an interview i read amdzone i belive) but even that was weeks ago. i think 975 will have all the upgrades most are looking for. As far as it being incompatible with some mobos most who buy this chip wont care BEs were never meant (even lower twps) for lower end boards anyway those ppl know what they get them selves into when they buy a low end board and a high end chip (atleast i hope they do) It only means we can keep our 955s for another 3/12 months lol thats usulay the time it takes.

Last edited:

snakeoil

phenom II is a power efficient architecture, instead intel's core i7 is a certified powerhog, temps under load are 80 c for core i7 with stock cooler and stock speed , while phenom II is just 45 c under load with stock cooler and stock speed. everybody that have core i7 has to suffer the heat and the price (like in hell) while phenom II users are cool and with money in the wallet.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
phenom II is a power efficient architecture, instead intel's core i7 is a certified powerhog, temps under load are 80 c for core i7 with stock cooler and stock speed , while phenom II is just 45 c under load with stock cooler and stock speed. everybody that have core i7 has to suffer the heat and the price (like in hell) while phenom II users are cool and with money in the wallet.

power efficient, the Phenom II wins. but money wise, a Phenom II build and i7 920 build are very close now, enough to make that price difference argument negligible.

$50 buck difference, and the intel build has 2gb more ram, so if they went 3gb the build's would be even closer in price, the 1gb difference isn't important as anyone getting 4gb or less usually goes 32-bit OS so the usuable ram for the AMD build with 4GB would still be 3gb-3.5gb.

Its almost as bad as a prescott, minus the inverse exponential increase in performance (anything over 3.6Ghz = no perf increase whatsoever for prescotts :roll:). AMD Really need to work on a new architecture instead of a die shrink, beacuse die shrinks don't really help for high TDPs, especially if it is due to the way the architecture works. Die shrinks are stopgap in this case basically.

power efficient, the Phenom II wins. but money wise, a Phenom II build and i7 920 build are very close now, enough to make that price difference argument negligible.
http://img.techpowerup.org/090710/Intel174.jpg
http://img.techpowerup.org/090710/AMD139.jpg
$50 buck difference, and the intel build has 2gb more ram, so if they went 3gb the build's would be even closer in price, the 1gb difference isn't important as anyone getting 4gb or less usually goes 32-bit OS so the usuable ram for the AMD build with 4GB would still be 3gb-3.5gb.

Power efficiency doesn't mean lower power usage, it means how much performance for how much power you use. The phenom is less efficient than the i7s which also has an intergrated memory controller.

snakeoil

http://img.techpowerup.org/090710/Intel.jpg
http://img.techpowerup.org/090710/AMD.jpg

maybe if you use the crappiest parts available not everywhere, you cant deny that core i7 is more expensive if you use quality parts, and because is very hot you need a good cooler and a well ventilated case which make it more expensive. could you reduce the size of your post please?,

Last edited:

ShadowFold

Cooling Stock
Case Antec Nine-Hundred

100$ cheaper and same overclocking performance.

maybe if you use the crappiest parts available not everywhere, you cant deny that core i7 is more expensive if you use qualilty parts, and because is very hot you need a good cooler and a well ventilated case which make it more expensive. could you reduce the size of your post please?,

Intel's CPUs only run so "warm" because of incorrect temperature readings from programs such as core temp which always never address the issue of the tjunction temps being 15 (or 25) or so degrees off the real readings, but yeah its slightly warm, but nothing to fret over (80*C? BS, the CPU can't even run at that temperature without shutting itself down). Secondly the stock cooler is pure CRAP. But comparably an i7 CPU doesn't have to high TDPs just to blow any Phenom II out of the water. (Slight OC). Its only because AMD supplies a slightly better CPU that they dont run so warm.

You don't seem to mention the performance difference between the i7 and PII.

Okay people, note that we're less than one percent of this market's consumers. From what I can see, AMD are being mainly used in the value segment, and not really performance, while higher end offerings are typically Intel (OEMs).

snakeoil

there are a few things that core i7 users cant deny

1. they have to suffer the heat
2. they have to suffer the price which is higher than phenom 2
3. they cant deny that they need a high end cooler if they want to overclock
4. they cant deny that they need a well ventilated case which is expensive.
5. they cant deny that the dragon platform is superior to the intel platform
6. they cant deny that intel graphics are a disgrace and a shame and its not getting any better.
7. they cant deny that core 2 is end of life old architecture with socket soon to be discontinued and core i 7 is too expensive to replace it.

etc.

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
maybe if you use the crappiest parts available not everywhere, you cant deny that core i7 is more expensive if you use quality parts, and because is very hot you need a good cooler and a well ventilated case which make it more expensive. could you reduce the size of your post please?,

crappiest parts available, i believe you simply looked at the price and refused to believe they were that close. I picked the best rated parts for each build on newegg that weren't rediculous. Everything on the AMD build is 5eggs with plenty of reviews, the same goes for the intel build excluding the motherboard which has a 4 egg rating. That whole "need a well ventilated case and cpu cooler" um excuse is pointless to mention. Who buys a top of the line CPU(either build) without purchasing a decent case anyways? or aftermarket cooler to add to it. If your between and AMD and i7 purchase, is that going to change the case you'd pick because you change the CPU? No your going to pick the same case no matter the build.

I simply tried to back up my point with screenies of the 3 different parts between an i7 and AMD build. You only typed up words. However ShadowFold actually backed up his claims with a screeny of an AMD build that was cheaper, instead of a post that only contained text. I stand correct price wise, however not efficiency per dollar.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
They need to bin (I don't really mean bin, but w/e) these chips better. You can run 3.4 ghz on what, 1.25v?

If they'd drop the volts on the BEs, then they wouldn't have to worry about high TDP at stock clock. Noobs. :laugh:

It's so easy, the solution is right here guys!

Crisis averted!

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64

1 they have to suffer the heat
2 they have to suffer the price which is higher than phenom 2
3 they cant deny that they need a high end cooler if they want to overclock
4 they cant deny that they need a well ventilated case wich is expensive.
5 they cant deny that the dragon platform is superior to the intel platform
6 they cant deny that intel graphics are a disgrace and a shame and its not getting any better.
7 they cant deny that core 2 is end of life old architecture with socket soon to be discontinued and core i 7 is too expensive to replace it.

etc.

1: i agree, i7 is indeed hotter than Ph II
2: agree again, but an i7 owner can retort that a Ph II owner suffer lesser performance depending on the build and use of the PC
3: i agree, but so would anyone choosing to overclock a Phenom II BE, high end cooler i disagree with as the xiggy 1283 darkknight is 40 bucks and performs just fine, best 2009 coolers review
4: I don't know anyone that would purchase either high end build without purchasing a good case, as someone paying for the 955 black edition is more than likely going to overclock and the desire for lower temps even if they would be acceptable is still there.
5+6: i wasn't talking integrated graphics, no body in their right mind purchasing either build is going to go with integrated graphics...seriously
7: core 2 and its socket will be dead, absolutely, but then core 2 matches Phenom II performance. So that statement is a moot point.

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition

So what happens to the prices once you put in a 780 chipset and DDR2 PC8500 in the Phenom build instead? More than $50 difference, more than $100 difference I assure you.

And you guys have it easy, in the UK there is about a £200 difference.

W

wolf2009

bring on my heater for next winter ! it gets quite cold here and didn't know AMD was getting into the heating business.

On topic, 140W alarming, for whom ? Somebody running a top of the line processor would do so for OCing and would surely get a good board with adequate power circuitry. With a slew of good boards from MSI and Gigabyte, don't think 140W should be a problem anymore.

The people with 780 and 770 boards might have a problem though but they would be stupid to think that they could save money by going with a cheap board and top of the line CPU. In the end it will cost them more.

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
I've been curious for a long time now if any of the Intel guys out there are able to knock their voltages down significantly at stock speeds (or nearly stock). I understand the TDP ratings of all of the AMD and Intel processors, but I've never had an AMD processor that I actually needed to run at....heck or near the stock voltage.

I've run my PII 920 at the stock 2.8Ghz on only 1.184v with no problems since day one. That's down from 1.30v stock, I did the same thing with my PI 9850 and P1 9500 processors which both undervolted like champs. The 4850 I used to run does the same thing, the Kuma I just setup does the same thing (1.13v so far from 1.30v).

Does Intel do the samething with their processors in being able to drop the voltage to far lower than the stock voltage level without reducing performance at all?

Kei

(btw, I don't care about the super overclock voltages only stock or very close to stock) :)

W

wolf2009

I've been curious for a long time now if any of the Intel guys out there are able to knock their voltages down significantly at stock speeds (or nearly stock). I understand the TDP ratings of all of the AMD and Intel processors, but I've never had an AMD processor that I actually needed to run at....heck or near the stock voltage.

I've run my PII 920 at the stock 2.8Ghz on only 1.184v with no problems since day one. That's down from 1.30v stock, I did the same thing with my PI 9850 and P1 9500 processors which both undervolted like champs. The 4850 I used to run does the same thing, the Kuma I just setup does the same thing (1.13v so far from 1.30v).

Does Intel do the samething with their processors in being able to drop the voltage to far lower than the stock voltage level without reducing performance at all?

Kei

(btw, I don't care about the super overclock voltages only stock or very close to stock) :)

yes, Core i7 can run at 0.88 V idle

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3593&p=2
The ASRock X58 Extreme passed our full test suite at 21x160 for a final 3.37GHz core speed. We enabled the BIOS with full power management options and Core Vid at 1.15V (with offset) resulting in an idle voltage of 0.880V and full load voltage at 1.016V. VTT was set to 1.2V and VDimm at 1.60V with memory timings at 7-8-7-20 1T for DDR3-1600 speeds.

ShadowFold

Cooling Stock
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
They have the voltage higher like that so it's 101% stable.

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Different die's run at different TDPs.
PII 920's TDP = 125W however, some die's were capable of running @ 1.0V for stock speeds giving the TDP a rating of as low as 65W.

I have estimated that my TDP on the PII 920 I have @ 3.4Ghz is 95-100W judging from the APC's wattage reading and the efficiency factor of my PSU @ 83%.

What I am trying to say is this- They ramped the voltage to get higher usable dies.
-edit-
I have run my PII @ 3,086Mhz @ 1.0V and it was 100% stable but when I get into the 3.2-3.4Ghz range the voltage needed to keep the speed goes up a large amount... I need 1.375V to keep stable at that speed. @ 4Ghz I was able to get it to POST and load windows @ 1.485V but the NB died on the board b4 I could get a CPU-Z... ;-(
So it all depends on the die imho. Luck of the draw.

3xploit

Processor i7 920 @ 3.9ghz 1.33vLoad
Motherboard evga x58
Cooling TRUE
Memory 6x1gb Aeneon 1600
Video Card(s) GTS 512 820/2052/1107 + accelero s1 (2x 120mm fans)
Storage Western Digital 500gb SATA
Display(s) ViewSonic 22" 1680x1050
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ONBOARD
Power Supply Tuniq 5501
Software Windows 7 x64 7100

1. they have to suffer the heat
2. they have to suffer the price which is higher than phenom 2
3. they cant deny that they need a high end cooler if they want to overclock
4. they cant deny that they need a well ventilated case which is expensive.
5. they cant deny that the dragon platform is superior to the intel platform
6. they cant deny that intel graphics are a disgrace and a shame and its not getting any better.
7. they cant deny that core 2 is end of life old architecture with socket soon to be discontinued and core i 7 is too expensive to replace it.

etc.

1. my 920 runs at 3.9ghz on air and loads at mid 60s - which is perfectly fine for any chip (amd or intel)
2. true, but i get much more performance
3. most people buy high end air coolers or water on these forums anyways regardless if they use intel or amd
4. i run my whole setup in a $50 antec 300
5. LOL ok there
6. no i7 x58 boards even use integrated graphics so wtf are you saying
7. core 2 quads still hold their own against phenom ii's and keep up with i7s in gaming

8. you are an amd fanboy lol

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
This thread has nothing to do with i7 so stop while you're ahead. There's plenty of other threads to take your i7 discussion to. :rolleyes: