• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Appeals Against EU Antitrust Verdict

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Wait, so Intel is No Heart, Shreeky and Beastly? And AMD is the Carebears?

Ether you have kids or your F*%ked up level just went up two notches.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
i work at Burger King so yep the whopper pawns the Big Mac :D, i mean we actually put on onion rings not shredded onions, everyone likes more crunch in a burger :laugh:

This is a borderline funny thread. Keep it up!
I do not see the problem here rebates like that happen all the time. Whether you are buying grain, salt, or CPUs. The more business you move to one source the better prices you get. Only thing Intel is guilty of is being less than good at covering it up.

eh the only problem is that intel didn't just say hey buy more of our CPU's and we'll cut what your actually paying per CPU by blah% amount. They said "buy only or mostly from us and not AMD, then you get the rebate, don't abide by that and the price you pay for our product will skyrocket." I see where Intel went wrong on this, but then i think aren't the companies just as much at fault as intel for accepting these proposals? but if what some people posted that AMD would not be able to keep up with the demand if the companies had denied intel's proposal. so Intel somewhat blackmailed the companies knowing only they could keep up with the demand 100% so the companies couldn't have said no. But idk for fact and haven't seen any factual info to back up the statement "AMD wouldn't have been able to keep up with demand", if true intel is foresure the only wrong do-er, but if that statement isn't true then i feel the companies are just as much at wrong as intel.

the fine? :roll: what a joke, and wasn't like 60% of the fine supposed to go to AMD? that's what i thought i'd heard in the previous thread about this trial. I also think the fine should have been not just 1billion but more like 1billion every year for 3-5 years, just as many years as intel broke the EU's law.

Last edited:

Meecrob

I agree. If it wasn't for Intel we would all be living in cloud castles and have rainbow slides to our unicorn stables. Damn those murderous bastards.

no, but if they didnt use dirty business practices to stay ahead the market would be in better shape, sorry but im not one of you people who belive that business should be allowed to do anything and everything it wants to make a profit and stay ahead, guess that means im not a true capitalist.

ps, i hate the carebears.....

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
no, but if they didnt use dirty business practices to stay ahead the market would be in better shape, sorry but im not one of you people who belive that business should be allowed to do anything and everything it wants to make a profit and stay ahead, guess that means im not a true capitalist.

ps, i hate the carebears.....

No it just means your naive about how companies make money. Also the EU and how THEY make money.

Meecrob

hey, if we follow people like you's ideals companies should be able to hire assassins to go around killing the competition and anybody who could possibly cause them to loose/not make as much money.

sounds like fun, give me that job, walk around clubing people like they are baby seals....sounds acceptable since it would be for the all mighty goal of true and total capitalism!!!

P.S. I am quite well versed in how companies make money, the fact is not all of them threaten and bully their way to the top, some just provide the better product at the better price and let the market decide, others like apple with the ipod do an AMAZING job marketing their goods(the ipods mediocre at best quality wise, but its got killer marketing and name recognition behind it)

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
apple with the ipod do an AMAZING job marketing their goods(the ipods mediocre at best quality wise, but its got killer marketing and name recognition behind it)

very very true, if apple can go around marketing like they do the ipod and be this successful with it then surely intel could have done the same by just marketing and still being ahead esp with AMD's lack of advertisement. AMD had better processors until core2 time(Q2 2006 i thk?). 2002-Q1 2006 amd should have lead the market but we now understand why, because intel blocked AMD out. I myself didn't have a clue amd was better than intel for that many years simply because i'd only seen intel CPU's, i mean shit like said previously the general public know of intel but not AMD. However i think AMD is definitely making a comback from their previous financial position the past 2-3 years with ATI doing very well as well as Phenom II showing great performance/dollar which i hope continues with their next architecture release.

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Yes, offering rebates and knocking out knee caps are one in the same. That's what he was advocating.

Look, why aren't people getting huffy with the computer retailers? Intel didn't force them to choose to exclusively carry Intel. They gave them rebates. Price incentives. If you only put our processors in your computer, the entire shipment will cost less. Maybe its shady, but then again the businesses themselves seemed to go with it.

So why aren't the store owners involved getting fined? They stifled the competition just as much by accepting to pay less. They stood to gain just as much. If it costs them less and they don't pass on the savings, they're pocketing your money that you still agreed to pay for the item. But Intel is the only one getting fined?

Why don't they fine Coca Cola and Pepsi? Everywhere in Canada (maybe not the States, dunno) has basically one of the two brands per restaurant. The restaurant agreed to only sell Coke or Pepsi products, but not both. The competition is being stifled, why isn't this an issue?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
hey, if we follow people like you's ideals companies should be able to hire assassins to go around killing the competition and anybody who could possibly cause them to loose/not make as much money.

sounds like fun, give me that job, walk around clubing people like they are baby seals....sounds acceptable since it would be for the all mighty goal of true and total capitalism!!!

P.S. I am quite well versed in how companies make money, the fact is not all of them threaten and bully their way to the top, some just provide the better product at the better price and let the market decide, others like apple with the ipod do an AMAZING job marketing their goods(the ipods mediocre at best quality wise, but its got killer marketing and name recognition behind it)

Another drama queen I see.

If Apple got to where they are via only marketing why couldn't Intel? At the time Intel was accused of doing anti-competitive practices "Pentium" was a house hold name. Even today few people have any idea who AMD is and what they offer. I think you managed to prove my point while you made your argument. ;)

Why would Dell or HP push an "unproven" product when Intel already did all the marketing? Not only could AMD not meet the demand at the time but Intels foot hold on the industry was in the mind of the people. Intel may not have had the product but by far they had the brains.

Anyway all this is besides the point. If this was about justice the money would go to AMD. But its not. Its going to buy more yachts in the EU.

System Name The little engine that could
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3600
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx 400 Blue Basic
Memory G.Skil Aegis DDR4 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 6600 XT Eagle 8G
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe + Toshiba MQ01ABD 1TB HDD
Display(s) Dell U2520d 1440p
Case CM 690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair CX400 with Arctic P12 fan
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Dell basic
Software Win10 x64 LTSC
Intel didn't force them to choose to exclusively carry Intel.

Ahmm, that exactly what Intel did, please read the official accusations.

Arguing that the retailers are equally responsible, because they'd accepted this practice, is like saying it's your fault if somebody pushes you off the road and you don't try to crash your car into them (and total it) to stay on it.

And please everybody refrain from arguments like: "It's OK to to do this kind of stuff, this is free market etc. and yay capitalism is great" - grow up!

Forcing retailers to buy your product only is not "free", the free market is not wild west free, but is supposed to have fair rules, otherwise it is not efficient but becomes abusive and the consumers suffer.

Meecrob

hp infact has had amd systems as far back as the k5, so did other large OEM's but those disappeared due to intel threats of higher prices or to totally cut off supplies due to a "shortage" that would magically happen if said companies either used non-intel or pushed non-intel systems to hard.

they have been convicted of this in japan and other non-EU counties, its not just the EU picking on people in this case(yes they do-do that but i agree with at least part of their complaints and this is one)

when you threaten in order to get your way, you are being a bully and also IMHO quite un-ethical.

if they simply said they would give a bigger discount if you refrained from using the competitors product that wouldn't be a big deal to me, but thats NOT WHAT INTEL DID, and intel KNEW this could happen, they made enough that if they do pay the fine, its a drop in the bucket compared to what they made by doing this shit for many many years.

intel knew this could/probably would happen, but also knew it wouldn't even touch the money they made by doing it so they win either way.

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
many have mentioned that AMD didn't have the resources to supply every manufacturer with the demand that would've taken place if companies had denied intel>intel raised prices>companies buy much less intel CPU's>AMD gets large demand>AMD can't cope>companies have to purchase and go along with intel's "proposals". that is my understanding. could be wrong :p

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Read above post. A secondary producer is a producer such as AMD, while the tertiary companies are the companies such as ACER. AMD CANNOT make profits at all if they have no market to sell their products because intel, bribed them not to sell anything AMD, and the market exists at the tertiary companies. That is entirely unfair, because of LESS MARKET EXPOSURE. In some nations AMD had no exposure at all.

Please do not see rebates as a rebate that you get back from newegg, but see them as a transfer of funds; a sum of money.
No, Intel did not bribe them as far as I am concerned. They offered them discounts. The lack of market exporsure for AMD is AMD's marketing dept's problem.

hp infact has had amd systems as far back as the k5, so did other large OEM's but those disappeared due to intel threats of higher prices or to totally cut off supplies due to a "shortage" that would magically happen if said companies either used non-intel or pushed non-intel systems to hard.

they have been convicted of this in japan and other non-EU counties, its not just the EU picking on people in this case(yes they do-do that but i agree with at least part of their complaints and this is one)

when you threaten in order to get your way, you are being a bully and also IMHO quite un-ethical.

if they simply said they would give a bigger discount if you refrained from using the competitors product that wouldn't be a big deal to me, but thats NOT WHAT INTEL DID, and intel KNEW this could happen, they made enough that if they do pay the fine, its a drop in the bucket compared to what they made by doing this shit for many many years.

intel knew this could/probably would happen, but also knew it wouldn't even touch the money they made by doing it so they win either way.
Intel never threatened the supply, only the price.

Either way, I still think the fine is bureaucratic BS. It's nothing more than a way for govts to make money on a successful business. Same with the Japan and S. Korea cases. I still hope Intel wins the appeal.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
No, Intel did not bribe them as far as I am concerned. They offered them discounts. The lack of market exporsure for AMD is AMD's marketing dept's problem.

They were actively bribed to not source raw-material from AMD (CPUs), and to delay launches of products based on AMD, so it doesn't get adequate market exposure.

And "uh..AMD should have done something similar" in general is a lame argument. You don't fight a crime with another crime. It becomes mafia, not business.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Another drama queen I see.

If Apple got to where they are via only marketing why couldn't Intel? At the time Intel was accused of doing anti-competitive practices "Pentium" was a house hold name. Even today few people have any idea who AMD is and what they offer. I think you managed to prove my point while you made your argument. ;)

Why would Dell or HP push an "unproven" product when Intel already did all the marketing? Not only could AMD not meet the demand at the time but Intels foot hold on the industry was in the mind of the people. Intel may not have had the product but by far they had the brains.

Anyway all this is besides the point. If this was about justice the money would go to AMD. But its not. Its going to buy more yachts in the EU.

There are some ppl who think AMD is an inferior rip of :laugh:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
If they are acquitted that means they are Innocent. In the U.S. you are Innocent until proven guilty.

Like I said, if American laws didn't prohibit the practice Intel has been penalised of in the EU, the investigation would not have commenced in the first place. The company will face a trial only once the investigations are complete. The fact that an investigation by a federal agency such as USFTC was launched into this, shows that your law disallows Intel's practices too, regardless of what happens in the courtroom or what's its outcome. In the US, nobody knows better than USFTC about what's legal and what's not when it comes to businesses. So again, Intel being charged under your law, or slipping/buying its way out of the case, becomes immaterial.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
They were actively bribed to not source raw-material from AMD (CPUs), and to delay launches of products based on AMD, so it doesn't get adequate market exposure.

And "uh..AMD should have done something similar" in general is a lame argument. You don't fight a crime with another crime. It becomes mafia, not business.

No, AMD's lack of market share has nothing to do with these "bribery" cases. It has to do with their total lack of marketing since, umm, I don't know, EVER.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
No, AMD's lack of market share has nothing to do with these "bribery" cases. It has to do with their total lack of marketing since, umm, I don't know, EVER.

When you are pretty much capped at 20% market share, and a global customer base, it becomes all the more impossible to carry out marketing. The marketing becomes futile when the larger player steps up his marketing beyond the point of you being able to counter it, even more so when the larger player abuses his position by buying off major OEMs' product-design divisions, distributors, etc.

Step one towards marketing in AMD's case is to get rid of that illegal market share cap Intel forced. If it can't do it being a company 1/10 the size of its competitor, it will seek the help of an entity 1000x the size of Intel to do the work, since that larger entity ends up getting a healthier market at the end.

And yes, the bribery cases do have a role to play against AMD, otherwise they wouldn't be part of the investigations in the first place. European companies were bribed to avoid/postpone AMD product launches.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
When you are pretty much capped at 20% market share, and a global customer base, it becomes all the more impossible to carry out marketing. The marketing becomes futile when the larger player steps up his marketing beyond the point of you being able to counter it, even more so when the larger player abuses his position by buying off major OEMs' product-design divisions, distributors, etc.

Step one towards marketing in AMD's case is to get rid of that illegal market share cap Intel forced. If it can't do it being a company 1/10 the size of its competitor, it will seek the help of an entity 1000x the size of Intel to do the work, since that larger entity ends up getting a healthier market at the end.

And yes, the bribery cases do have a role to play against AMD, otherwise they wouldn't be part of the investigations in the first place. European companies were bribed to avoid/postpone AMD product launches.

I understand being small limits the amount of possible marketing, but it does not eliminate it altogether. AMD has practically no ads, or anything of that nature. That's nobody's fault but their own.

Sorry, but I still don't buy into it. The fine should be overturned.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Can Cuba invade US? No? Then AMD's ad campaign would be futile, any number of ads it can afford. Intel forces its OEM partners that benefit from its dubious schemes to play the Intel jingle after every PC/notebook ad, Intel has its own ad campaign + uses the typically 95% of any given OEM's product lineup that uses Intel processors to its marketing credit (more products = more brochures and product lists carrying "Intel")

Sorry, but I don't buy into it. Every country with decent trade laws, a half-decent conscience, and the ability to enforce its laws, should similarly fine Intel.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Can Cuba invade US? No? Then AMD's ad campaign would be futile, any number of ads it can afford. Intel forces its OEM partners that benefit from its dubious schemes to play the Intel jingle after every PC/notebook ad, Intel has its own ad campaign + uses the typically 95% of any given OEM's product lineup that uses Intel processors to its marketing credit (more products = more brochures and product lists carrying "Intel")

Sorry, but I don't buy into it. Every country with decent trade laws, a half-decent conscience, and the ability to enforce its laws, should similarly fine Intel.

Well, then, I just flat disagree with you, and we should probably leave it at that. I've already spoken my peace on the issue.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
AMD did ads, ive never seen one

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
How did Intel hurt (monetarily) the EU , Japan or any other country? AMD was the one who lost sales. So why should a country or union be able to profit from Intel's alleged inappropriate business transactions?

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Ahmm, that exactly what Intel did, please read the official accusations.

Arguing that the retailers are equally responsible, because they'd accepted this practice, is like saying it's your fault if somebody pushes you off the road and you don't try to crash your car into them (and total it) to stay on it.

And please everybody refrain from arguments like: "It's OK to to do this kind of stuff, this is free market etc. and yay capitalism is great" - grow up!

Forcing retailers to buy your product only is not "free", the free market is not wild west free, but is supposed to have fair rules, otherwise it is not efficient but becomes abusive and the consumers suffer.

I repeat myself.
If you only put our processors in your products.
In other words, don't sell AMD processors in your pre-builts or as officially recorded 'canceling their (AMD prebuilt) product lines'. Thank you, I did read them. And no, Intel did NOT force them. Retailers made the willing choice out of their own greed (capitalism) to go with more money for themselves by giving themselves a higher margin of profit on each Intel chip. Intel didn't point a gun at anyone's head. They didn't say I'm going to kill your kids. They offered rebates. I agree, its shady. Illegal? I don't believe so. Again, I've provided other examples of companies that do it yet aren't under scrutiny. I'm sure I could find many more.

Your analogy is false and kind of non sensical. If you want a better one that applies, its like someone telling you to shoot someone in the head. You agree. Then when brought up on murder charges you don't think they should charge you because you say 'they told me to'. Sorry, you're still guilty. So again, why the focus on Intel? Because they've got the pockets and government wants in on them.

So we're not allowed to argue for capitalism because you view it as childish? Let me try.

"Everyone! No more responses unless you agree with me! I mean grow up!"

Dunno, don't think that'll fly.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name The little engine that could
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3600
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx 400 Blue Basic
Memory G.Skil Aegis DDR4 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 6600 XT Eagle 8G
Storage Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe + Toshiba MQ01ABD 1TB HDD
Display(s) Dell U2520d 1440p
Case CM 690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200
Power Supply Corsair CX400 with Arctic P12 fan
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Dell basic
Software Win10 x64 LTSC
And no, Intel did NOT force them. Retailers made the willing choice out of their own greed (capitalism) to go with more money for themselves by giving themselves a higher margin of profit on each Intel chip. Intel didn't point a gun at anyone's head. They didn't say I'm going to kill your kids. They offered rebates. I agree, its shady. Illegal? I don't believe so. Again, I've provided other examples of companies that do it yet aren't under scrutiny. I'm sure I could find many more.

You have to think trough the economics of the whole thing: Intel is in a dominant position on the market. They offer exclusivity rebates - if the retailer isn't going for it, he gets a huge cost/price disadvantage and obviously loses a lot of business (as Intel chips dominate the market) to his competitors, who go for the rebates. This is potentially a bankrupt case for him.

So because Intel is dominant player, they are in fact forcing the retailers to accept these rebates, otherwise they will suffer huge losses and maybe go out of business.

Your analogy is false and kind of non sensical.

Well...that's a good argument.

If you want a better one that applies, its like someone telling you to shoot someone in the head. You agree. Then when brought up on murder charges you don't think they should charge you because you say 'they told me to'. Sorry, you're still guilty. So again, why the focus on Intel? Because they've got the pockets and government wants in on them.

Your analogy doesn't account for the fact, that Intel essentially did force the retailers to accept the rebates, so applied to your analogy that would be pointing a gun at someone's head and telling him to shoot the other guy.

So we're not allowed to argue for capitalism because you view it as childish? Let me try.

"Everyone! No more responses unless you agree with me! I mean grow up!"

Dunno, don't think that'll fly.

It is indeed childish to explain Intel's malpractices by the capitalistic system. It is not a matter of capitalism vs. socialism. It is a case of illegal vs. legal. You know capitalist societies have laws too.