• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Unleashes ROG Maximus III Series Motherboards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS today added the Maximus III Formula and Maximus III GENE to its Republic of Gamers (ROG) lineup of high performance motherboards. Based on Intel's P55 chipset and purpose-designed for gaming, both motherboards are equipped with a wealth of exclusive gamer-centric features that effect improvements across all facets of the user's gaming and overclocking experience-from improved in-game response and reduced Internet latency, to convenient hardware-based, real-time tweaking. The ATX Maximus III Formula is targeted at PC enthusiasts, hardcore gamers and early adopters who crave leading-edge specifications, enhanced extensibility, and the cool factor, while the mATX Maximus III GENE is designed for case modders and budget-conscious gamers who prefer smaller-yet still power-packed-machines.

Bearing the Hallmarks of their High-end Heritage
ASUS' Maximus III Series motherboards are designed to deliver the no-holds-barred gaming performance and gamer-tailored features that have earned ROG its renown amongst gamers. Armed with the best components and top-end technologies, these motherboards ensure users the best possible and most immersive gaming experience on the P55 platform.

Designed for Maximum Immersion
Maximus III Series motherboards are packed with advanced gaming features that deliver the best in-game experience, and give users a decisive edge over their opponents.
  • GameFirst: A unique traffic shaping technology, GameFirst manages the flow of traffic according to users' needs so that they can still perform Web-based tasks, download and upload files, and engage in Internet chats while maintaining the low ping times needed to dominate their opponents during online gaming.
  • Speeding HDD: Utilizing a dual channel design, Speeding HDD doubles data transfer rates, slashing game loading and data access times. To enjoy this technology, users simply have to connect two HDDs to the specially-marked SATA connectors on the Maximus III Series motherboard. The drives are set-up automatically-no manual configuration is required.
  • SupremeFX X-Fi: With its premium components and support for Creative Labs' acclaimed Crystalizer, CMSS3D and EAX technologies, SupremeFX X-Fi delivers the most realistic and accurate audio in games. This iteration of SupremeFX X-Fi also supports Blu-ray output.
Designed for Maximum Tweakability
Maximus III Series motherboards feature a revolutionary overclocking interface dubbed ROG Connect. ROG Connect enables users to link up to the embedded iROG controller via a separate PC-such as a notebook-connected via a USB cable. This allows users to tune the main system at a purely hardware level in real-time, as well as view POST code and hardware status readouts, on a notebook or netbook-just like a race car engineer.

Designed for Maximum Compatibility
Memory is temperamental, and oftentimes difficult to tune. ROG Maximus III Series motherboards enable users to easily circumvent potential memory compatibility issues with the inclusion of MemPerfect, a tool that automatically tests, fixes, and adjusts memory for the best possible performance. The result is greater system stability, optimized speed, and the ability to resolve issues quickly without having to manually perform lengthy memory tests.

Designed for Users with Differing Needs
While both Maximus III Series motherboards feature the same rich complement of features to enhance users' gaming and computing experience-such as ROG Connect, GameFirst and MemPerfect-they are available in two different form factors to cater to the needs of different users.

The ATX Maximus III Formula is designed for hardcore gamers and performance seekers who demand the very best specifications and superior extensibility. The mATX Maximus III GENE, on the other hand, is designed for case modders and budget-conscious gamers who prefer smaller machines, yet desire the power and features that only ROG can provide

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
* GameFirst: A unique traffic shaping technology, GameFirst manages the flow of traffic according to users' needs so that they can still perform Web-based tasks, download and upload files, and engage in Internet chats while maintaining the low ping times needed to dominate their opponents during online gaming.

uhhh.... useless? it cant shape other PC's or devices, so its only going to help in single PC environments.

* Speeding HDD: Utilizing a dual channel design, Speeding HDD doubles data transfer rates, slashing game loading and data access times. To enjoy this technology, users simply have to connect two HDDs to the specially-marked SATA connectors on the Maximus III Series motherboard. The drives are set-up automatically—no manual configuration is required.

oh wow, RAID!

* SupremeFX X-Fi: With its premium components and support for Creative Labs' acclaimed Crystalizer, CMSS3D and EAX technologies, SupremeFX X-Fi delivers the most realistic and accurate audio in games. This iteration of SupremeFX X-Fi also supports Blu-ray output.

realtek onboard audio w/ creative X-Fi MB!

cmon asus, PLEASE try harder. or dont try with marketing that makes your marketbase laugh at you.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
BIOS accessible froma next pc is cool though, thats the only thing there worth ooohing about

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
I've had hands on experience with a pre-production Gene - and honestly I was really impressed. Especially with the ability to connect up another computer and OC or even debug independently to the original machine.

I had great fun OC'ing an ES 1156 i7 with the aforementioned board.

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
some sexy motherboards.

Kitkat

* GameFirst: A unique traffic shaping technology, GameFirst manages the flow of traffic according to users' needs so that they can still perform Web-based tasks, download and upload files, and engage in Internet chats while maintaining the low ping times needed to dominate their opponents during online gaming.

uhhh.... useless? it cant shape other PC's or devices, so its only going to help in single PC environments.

* Speeding HDD: Utilizing a dual channel design, Speeding HDD doubles data transfer rates, slashing game loading and data access times. To enjoy this technology, users simply have to connect two HDDs to the specially-marked SATA connectors on the Maximus III Series motherboard. The drives are set-up automatically—no manual configuration is required.

oh wow, RAID!

* SupremeFX X-Fi: With its premium components and support for Creative Labs' acclaimed Crystalizer, CMSS3D and EAX technologies, SupremeFX X-Fi delivers the most realistic and accurate audio in games. This iteration of SupremeFX X-Fi also supports Blu-ray output.

realtek onboard audio w/ creative X-Fi MB!

cmon asus, PLEASE try harder. or dont try with marketing that makes your marketbase laugh at you.

yeah but comon tho when u saw a ROG board at LAUNCH u knew it wouldnt be anything inovative thats why i never (somthing like this) buy at launch anyway. the only new REAL feature is tthe only new REAL feature is the ability to (and yes) oc your computer from another computer. Why do u ask?? i dont know. lol I do like the small one tho it looks cool but chasrging ROG prices for it when it acts the same as any other launch boards is over the top for me. They are trying to get the noobs.

I've had hands on experience with a pre-production Gene - and honestly I was really impressed. Especially with the ability to connect up another computer and OC or even debug independently to the original machine.

I had great fun OC'ing an ES 1156 i7 with the aforementioned board.

gene wasnt a launch board

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The Gene series is really awesome, just wish they had it in AMD flavor. Yeah I like my Crosshair 3 (still not got it up yet, waiting for classes to be over) but 199.99 for it seemed steep when a Gigabyte or MSI board offered 4x PCIe 16 slots, and more PCI slots than the one it totes.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
gene wasnt a launch board

I never said it was - what I actually said, which you've apparently missed, is the fact it was a pre-production board.

Kitkat

I never said it was - what I actually said, which you've apparently missed, is the fact it was a pre-production board.

oh my bad i mean even if it was pre prod im just saying it came AFTER they figured some things u know. ROG boards have a rep of like AFTER we are done and learned all the kinks and tweaks of something then we come and MURDER IT with an over the top ROG board. Seeing one at launch of a chipset is where they get me with this one cause.... what did they do make the other boards dumber? Sure it has allot of features and is still top of the line but makes u wonder if its any better than the gigabyte (which there launch should be FIRE) cause there boards are well put together and one for Everyone in market. (at launch that is)

The Gene series is really awesome, just wish they had it in AMD flavor. Yeah I like my Crosshair 3 (still not got it up yet, waiting for classes to be over) but 199.99 for it seemed steep when a Gigabyte or MSI board offered 4x PCIe 16 slots, and more PCI slots than the one it totes.

SET IT UP ALREADY IT SMOKES! lol This design came a lil later on so im sure the 890s will go in a totaly diff direction or be the same. As far as a micro atx goes i wanna see that too ;)

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
Why would you want to overclock from another computer?

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Cooling Corsair H100i
Why would you want to overclock from another computer?

You'd start off OC'ing on the main PC you want to improve - however, say it locks up in 3DMark instead of having to go back into the BIOS - the other machine will bring up a little debug dialogue box stating what the problem could be. Say, you're in the middle of benching/stressing and you want to increase something, you can do it there and then with the other connected computer and see if everything pans out - again, if it buggers up - you can call up the debug which will tell you a much more friendly manner what the issue is, compared to a BSOD which you'd have to debug yourself with windbg on another machine if you can't get your main (OC'd) rig to boot.

It saves you all that trouble, it worked really well considering these were unfinished boards.