• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WD Unveils Smaller, Smarter and More Secure My Passport Essential Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
WD, the world's leader in external storage solutions, today introduced its smaller, smarter and more secure My Passport Essential and My Passport for Mac ultra-portable external hard drives featuring WD's new WD SmartWare software and equipped with hardware-based encryption. The new My Passport drives are more than 20 percent smaller than the previous generation My Passport.

The new portable drives with WD SmartWare software visually present consumers' data in a control center, providing them peace of mind that their precious photos, videos and files are securely protected. Available now at select retailers and the WD online store (shopwd.com), the new My Passport Essential and My Passport for Mac drives are offered in capacities ranging from 320 GB to 1 TB and come in a range of colors including Pacific Blue, Real Red, Cool Silver and Midnight Black.

According to research firm Parks Associates, the average U.S. broadband household currently has over 120 gigabytes (GB) of digital media and files, which is expected to grow to over 1 terabyte (TB) of data by 2013. And while 70 percent of consumers back up their content, the majority of these people are using manual, cumbersome methods such as copying and pasting to multiple CDs and DVDs, and less than 18 percent use software that automatically and continuously backs up their content.

When the My Passport Essential drive is plugged in for the first time, the simple and intuitive first backup process launches automatically. The real-time visual interface of WD SmartWare software gives users a reassuring view of their backup as it happens. After the first backup, users' files are backed up automatically every time they change or add a file.

My Passport Essential and My Passport for Mac drives also feature user-selected password protection combined with military-grade 256-bit hardware encryption, which scrambles files before they are stored. Typically found only on much more expensive drive systems, the encryption acts as a virtual padlock to keep users' data secure.

"The smaller and sleeker design of WD's redesigned My Passport drives, combined with the intuitive visual backup experience of WD SmartWare software, makes this drive a smart and secure, travel-friendly storage choice," said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD's branded products group. "These ultra-portable drives are a stylish and spacious storage solution for consumers to confidently backup, store and carry their entire digital lives."

WD My Passport Essential hard drives are designed for Windows-based PCs while WD My Passport for Mac drives are formatted for Mac computers and are compatible with Apple TimeMachine, Apple's integrated backup solution. WD SmartWare works on Windows PCs and Mac computers and offers a seamlessly integrated option for Mac users who want an alternative to Time Machine or Mac OS 10.4 users who don't have TimeMachine compatibility.

Price and Availability
The new My Passport Essential drives are offered in capacities of 320 GB, 500 GB and 640 GB; My Passport Essential SE drives are offered in capacities of 750 GB and 1 TB. My Passport for Mac drives are available with 320 GB and 500 GB. My Passport Essential and My Passport for Mac drives are available now at select retailers and online at www.shopwd.com. MSRP ranges from $109.99 to $249.99 USD depending on model.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Primary Rig
Processor e8500 Q822A549 4.5ghz AIR
Motherboard Foxconn Mars P35
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2 x2GB Patriot Viper 1066 5-5-5-12 @ 1.8v
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 Unlocked
Storage 300gb Velociraptor
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case Coolermaster CM690
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Quad Silencer
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86
Good I need bigger storage capacity and more secure encryption for my pron....erm...files...as my 500gb passport is getting quite full.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3 1200 @ 3.7 GHz
Motherboard MSI B350M Gaming PRO
Cooling 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12
Memory 2x4GB GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD PC4-17000
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560 2GB
Storage Samsung SSD 840 Series (250GB)
Display(s) Asus VP239H-P (23")
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C TG
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar U3
Power Supply CORSAIR CX450
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K65
Software Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Would be nice to get a look at this updated software. The app they were shipping on their older Passport drives was less than user friendly. What they really need to do is jump on the best practices bandwagon and utilize the built-in backup functionality of XP/Vista/7, which is what you're really going to want when your HDD takes a crap and you have to rely on (you guessed it) built-in system recovery software to get your machine up and running with your old data and configuration.

That said, encryption handling on these external drives has always been a bit finicky from my experience. You are much more likely to forget your own dang password than you are to actually lose the drive and have it picked up by someone with malicious intent. Keep in mind, these aren't being market to corporations (nor should any portable drive), they're being marketed to consumers to store their family photos and music collections.

Btw, if you buy a drive, slap an encryption password on it, and return it to the store you bought it from, there is absolutely no way to unlock that drive. This is a huge hole in marketing these via the retail sector. And if Maxtor/WD have a way around that, it means that there's a hole in the encryption system, which makes it absolutely worthless to even have it encrypted in the first place because if someone really wanted at your data, it would not be hard to get.

DeltaFox

Processor AMD Athlon X2 6000+ @ Stock
Motherboard Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 NT & 5 120 mm low RPM fans
Memory Corsair Dominator Twin2X4096-8500C5DF
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB, ExcelStor Jupiter 160 GB SATA
Display(s) HP LP2475w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX, Connected to Sennheiser HD 595
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP 2
Would be nice to get a look at this updated software. The app they were shipping on their older Passport drives was less than user friendly. What they really need to do is jump on the best practices bandwagon and utilize the built-in backup functionality of XP/Vista/7, which is what you're really going to want when your HDD takes a crap and you have to rely on (you guessed it) built-in system recovery software to get your machine up and running with your old data and configuration.

That said, encryption handling on these external drives has always been a bit finicky from my experience. You are much more likely to forget your own dang password than you are to actually lose the drive and have it picked up by someone with malicious intent. Keep in mind, these aren't being market to corporations (nor should any portable drive), they're being marketed to consumers to store their family photos and music collections.

Btw, if you buy a drive, slap an encryption password on it, and return it to the store you bought it from, there is absolutely no way to unlock that drive. This is a huge hole in marketing these via the retail sector. And if Maxtor/WD have a way around that, it means that there's a hole in the encryption system, which makes it absolutely worthless to even have it encrypted in the first place because if someone really wanted at your data, it would not be hard to get.
http://www.truecrypt.org/