• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

JEDEC Anounces Publication of Specifications for SPD and Thermal Sensor Devices

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, the global leader in standards development for the microelectronics industry, today announced the publication of a family of compatible device specifications for Serial Presence Detect (SPD) EEPROMs, Thermal Sensors (TS), and combination devices with both SPD and TS in a single package. The specifications offer advanced power management features for a wide array of applications, and may be downloaded free of charge at JEDEC.org.

"These chips are being applied in a wide range of applications from handheld devices to telecommunications equipment and data servers," said Desi Rhoden, Chairman of JEDEC's JC-42 Committee for Random Access Memory (RAM). He added, "The demand for green technologies has the industry looking for new ways to measure and conserve power. This family of devices gives a way to accurately measure temperatures to less than half a degree so that systems can automatically adjust their energy usage in response to customer's needs."

JEDEC's JC-42.4 Subcommittee for Non-Volatile Memory developed the specifications, and has recommended that all three specifications be published together as a single standard, with the objective of promoting uniformity and ease of device specification. The proposed standard provides for multiple packaging options, including low cost plastic packages, and offers compatibility with industry standard I²C and SMBus low pin count serial buses. These specifications include variations for narrow or wide range voltage options for compatibility with serial buses in common use today. In addition, the specifications for the TS3000 and TSE2002 devices also have a central heat paddle integrated into the package to deliver thermal sensing directly to the die, improving sensing accuracy.

The TS3000 specification defines the parameters for a standalone thermal sensor with high accuracy across a wide temperature range. It supports a sideband interrupt signal to the system that high or low temperature thresholds have been crossed. The EE1002 specification defines the characteristics of an electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM) incorporated as a Serial Presence Detect on all JEDEC standard memory modules. This SPD device has a content protection feature that prevents modification in end-user applications, but which is reversible in supplier manufacturing processes. The TSE2002 specification covers a combination device that incorporates the functions of both TS3000 thermal sensors and EE1002 SPD EEPROMs in a single chip.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
No more wierd sensors?

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
This SPD device has a content protection feature that prevents modification in end-user applications, but which is reversible in supplier manufacturing processes..

I wonder if this means that a version of SPD tool for this spec will be impossible?

Would mobo BIOS would need updates to recognise this? lol, I suppose I could read the specs.