• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon HD 4770 (512 MB) - BIOS Flashing

Ellipse

Hei,
i want to Flash my BIOS because it has this FAN Control bug. So i wrote to XFX Support and they send me a new BIOS named "477AYDF.iso". I want to use ATIFLASH but found out that all tutorials use *.rom files.

So my question is: Can i use ATIFLASH with a iso file aswell or do i have to extract it somehow?
I cant open it with WinRAR but didnt tried any ISO tools.

Hope you can help me out, greetz

//edit: ok found out that its a cd image - will try to burn that to a usb stick

Last edited:

wakkierob

System Name Terminator
Processor e8400 3GHz oced @ 4.03GHz 1.6vcore
Motherboard Asrock P45xe
Cooling Sibirian Tiger NorthQ Watercooled
Memory Corsair Dominator blade xms 2x 2gb pc2-8500
Video Card(s) VTX Radeon HD 4770 @ Sapphire HD 4770 Crossfire
Storage SATA 150GB HD Barracuda 7200 @ SATA 600GB HD Western Digital Caviar Geen 64MB cache
Display(s) standard 17"
Case Gamers Blk (120mm Cooling Fans)
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply Alphapower (switching PSU) 750watt
Software Vista 32-bit Ultimate SP2
Benchmark Scores 20000+ with 3d mark 06 and both radeon hd 4770 oced
Hei,
i want to Flash my BIOS because it has this FAN Control bug. So i wrote to XFX Support and they send me a new BIOS named "477AYDF.iso". I want to use ATIFLASH but found out that all tutorials use *.rom files.

So my question is: Can i use ATIFLASH with a iso file aswell or do i have to extract it somehow?
I cant open it with WinRAR but didnt tried any ISO tools.

Hope you can help me out, greetz

//edit: ok found out that its a cd image - will try to burn that to a usb stick

Hi Ellipse, you can pickup bioses from here in the database tab at the top in bios section they have all types of card bioses. you can use rbe bios editor to edit fan control but be careful you can render the card useless by messing with settings. If you have not used atibios tool before you'll need a bootable disk to run from have a copy of the bios on it and run it with this command is: atiflash -p -f 0 bios.bin or atiflash -p -f 0 bios.rom

OK!
:rockout:

Ellipse

Hi, thanks for the reply - i managed to get the bin file out of the iso - i made a bootable USB stick with dos on it and flashed the card using atiflash. I just fixed some fan settings in the xfx bios using the RBE so its blowing at 20% not at 40% in IDLE mode (40°C now).

Works great and the card didnt reached the 65°C mark while fully loaded.

greets

wakkierob

System Name Terminator
Motherboard Asrock P45xe
Storage SATA 150GB HD Barracuda 7200 @ SATA 600GB HD Western Digital Caviar Geen 64MB cache
Display(s) standard 17"
Audio Device(s) none
Hi, thanks for the reply - i managed to get the bin file out of the iso - i made a bootable USB stick with dos on it and flashed the card using atiflash. I just fixed some fan settings in the xfx bios using the RBE so its blowing at 20% not at 40% in IDLE mode (40°C now).

Works great and the card didnt reached the 65°C mark while fully loaded.

greets

Great 2 hear it if you change the card model name in bios the card will try to think it is the model you try to change it to 4 example:

if your card is hd 4770 then it will come up with hd 4770 as model but if you change it to hd4830 it will think its hd 4830 instead it will ither boot and not work with software or not boot in which case its a good idea to have a x-fire board incase you need to revive it or it wont work again trust me I tried. Also to note never change maker name to a custom 1 the mobo bios wont ever reconise it again and you wont be able to recover it. For example

sapphire to Davescard or sapphiremoded DON' T DO ITTTTT!!!!???????

Ellipse

Erm, ok - understood.
Anyway i never wanted to change my cards name :)

Greets

wakkierob

System Name Terminator
Motherboard Asrock P45xe
Display(s) standard 17"
Audio Device(s) none
Ok! Glade to hear it

;) There is a rbe instruction guide on this site it's good to read it first

Best tips are:

1= Keep all Mem Frequencies the same to stop flicker (Happens when card changes from idle to working load)

2= Check the top option manual fan settings for fixing fan running probs

I found with my VTX HD 4770 after loading the bios asus top the best program to run the card was MSIAfterburnerSetup142 which has fan settings,clocksetting and vmem settings also!!:nutkick::rockout::respect: