• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Koolance CPU-360 doesn't fit on Gigabyte X58 UD4P

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
No worries, Mr. HammerOn. Koolance emailed me back first thing and are looking over all the possible fixes since this morning. Based on the number of GBT boards I've confirmed the have the same capacitor locations, there is good reason to move quickly. Heck, some engineer in Taiwan most likely had to get out of bed and head to the factory.

Just throwing around a few obvious ideas, a bracket offset might be the quick answer and could look just fine since we're talking about a few millimeters. Given Koolance's level of quality, it will be something worthy of the price.

Soon as I hear what the final outcome is, I'll post again. :)

I'm dating myself, but Koolance made available an optional shim for the CPU-200 to solve the same problem, I still have it. It's round, about 1.5" diameter, 3mm thick gold plated chunk of metal to move the block up and out of the way of capacitors. The real downside was needing two layers and application of TIM...

As a re-design of the block would take a while, my bet is they'll come out with a shim.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If someone is without their rig right now and needs a copper shim, let me know I have one or two in a box somewhere. Give me a PM. :)

skinnee

Thing is, Swiftech has made it clear that it wouldn't work well on these Gigabyte boards. That's the difference here. I'd think with a block that pricey that they would warn everyone that their block would not work on some very popular enthusiast boards. Someone really didn't do their homework.:slap:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying this shouldn't have happened... just sucks when it does. Was giving a little insight into why it is always Gigabyte boards.

Naekuh

System Name Nadeshiko
Processor i7 980X @ 4.2ghz /w HT ON 24/7
Motherboard eVGA Classified E759
Cooling Custom H2o
Memory Corsair Dominators 6 x 2GB
Video Card(s) 2 x HD4870X2 in Xfire
Storage 3 x X-25V in Raid 0 (OS) + 3 x Raptors in Raid 0 (Game)
Display(s) Dual Gateway 2485
Case MM U2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra 1.6KW
Software Win7
skinnee already got it.

I was gonna try to get someone from koolance to post.

Koolance has the best RMA policy, so ur free in a refund on the block.
Or they will most likely get you the required revision out as soon as they worked it out.

I will also look into this issue for you guys.
But i have yet to see koolance screw someone over.

Temujin

skinnee already got it.

I was gonna try to get someone from koolance to post.

Koolance has the best RMA policy, so ur free in a refund on the block.
Or they will most likely get you the required revision out as soon as they worked it out.

I will also look into this issue for you guys.
But i have yet to see koolance screw someone over.

Naekuh speaks the truth! Just got a reply that they're looking to see if a new foot print is the right route to take. Everyone is in good hands.

In the meantime, all owners of GIGABYTE X58 and X58A Series should wait for the revised CPU-360 water block. If you look at nothing else but the pictures, you can see these boards all have at least one row of capacitors right next to the CPU socket that get in the way.

My P55A-UD6 appears to have just enough room for the block, but I have to get my hands on one to confirm it.

INFRNL

Does anyone have a confirmed list of what boards this block will actually fit, or possibly what Blocks will actually fit the gigabyte boards?

I hope this gets resolved fairly quick for Hammer. Luckily I do not have all my parts yet, but if I was ready to build, I would be pretty pissed off myself. Its not like the x58 is brand new,; its been out for some time now and they should have known better :shadedshu

My offer still stands to the OP if he would like to sell and get something different right away or if he wants to wait for Koolance to resolve this.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Thanks for all the info Eric.

Temujin

Does anyone have a confirmed list of what boards this block will actually fit, or possibly what Blocks will actually fit the gigabyte boards?

I hope this gets resolved fairly quick for Hammer. Luckily I do not have all my parts yet, but if I was ready to build, I would be pretty pissed off myself. Its not like the x58 is brand new,; its been out for some time now and they should have known better :shadedshu

My offer still stands to the OP if he would like to sell and get something different right away or if he wants to wait for Koolance to resolve this.

Right now, it's just the GIGABYTE X58/X58A platforms. I'm picking up a CPU-360 tomorrow morning and replacing the CPU-350AT on my P55A-UD6 demo system just to confirm it fits. If it fits this board, it'll fit all the rest in the P55/P55A series. It'll be close.

Naekuh

System Name Nadeshiko
Cooling Custom H2o
Case MM U2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra 1.6KW
Software Win7

well the 360 has no problems on a classy whatsoever.

Im fairly sure it will also fit well on a R2E.

Its the board which have the capacitor out wayyy close to the cpu holder.

MUGEN02

System Name My First Time
Processor i7 965@3.6ghz-3.875ghz
Motherboard ASUS P6T6
Cooling Koolance= ERM-2K3U+2x120 AL rad, CPU-360, VID-NX295, 6 sets of no-spill QDCs, INS-FM17
Memory Corsair Dominator GT 1866 7-8-7-20 1T with Extended Fins
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 295@670/1476/1188
Storage Corsair SSD P256 x2 in RAID-0
Display(s) SONY 46XBR3
Case Lian Li PC-B70
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
I'll be installing a 360(replacing 345ac) this week on my ASUS P6T6. The capacitors are a little farther away so it might work.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I did call and talk with a Koolance tech rep today and he stated that they are aware of the problem. I went ahead and RMA'd the water block, but I have to pay for shipping (again). No big deal I guess.

Temujin - thanks for the information and quick responses.

I am still interested in what temps people that are able to install the block are getting~

Temujin

I did call and talk with a Koolance tech rep today and he stated that they are aware of the problem. I went ahead and RMA'd the water block, but I have to pay for shipping (again). No big deal I guess.

I am still interested in what temps people that are able to install the block are getting~

I'm heading down to pick up the water block in just a bit. I have an Exos 2.5 (Triple 120mm Rad) Unit set up on the P55A-UD6 and Core i7 870 CPU. It'll be later these evening before the block settles in to get preliminary temps. :)

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu

That's just messed up. They say that it's compatible with your board, you find that it's not, and then you have to pay shipping. That is a big load of FAIL in my book. I'll be sticking to EK blocks.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Audio Device(s) On-board
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm heading down to pick up the water block in just a bit. I have an Exos 2.5 (Triple 120mm Rad) Unit set up on the P55A-UD6 and Core i7 870 CPU. It'll be later these evening before the block settles in to get preliminary temps. :)

I may try to mount the block on either my EVGA X58 SLI LE or Asus X58 Rampage II Gene.
If it fits then I will keep it.

That's just messed up. They say that it's compatible with your board, you find that it's not, and then you have to pay shipping. That is a big load of FAIL in my book. I'll be sticking to EK blocks.

Yeah I was pretty upset about having to pay for shipping for the RMA, but that is their normal policy. I never did get a response from Koolance directly which I find disappointing. As mentioned in an earlier post I did call them as suggested by my fellow TPU members, the tech was nice but wasn't very informative/helpful. He just said they were aware there was a problem and that was about it.

Temujin

I got a link from Koolance's support forum a few minutes ago. This makes it a bit more official in favor of folks having problems.

http://forums.koolance.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1380

Yeah, we all pay for return RMA shipping. Seems like it sucks, but they'll pay to ship it back. Either way, I have confidence they already have something in the works. The reality of things is that vendors run in to an issue now and then. While an inconvenience to some, it keeps them on their toes.

"Can't learn to pick ourselves up, if we don't fall."

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
when you have someone like that you need to move up the chain.. Next time ask to speak to his/her supervisor (without being rude)

The prob with issuing refunds and a big company is practically no one is authorized to do it. You need to find the person that is and make them pay first (newegg will email/fax me a prepaid shipping label)

If they said the block would fit and it dosent they are at fault and should cover the shipping cost.

Like I said earlier an offset mounting plate will fix this prob, to mod the bracket basically drill holes(or elongate) to the left of the existing holes

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Audio Device(s) On-board
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
I got a link from Koolance's support forum a few minutes ago. This makes it a bit more official in favor of folks having problems.

http://forums.koolance.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1380

Yeah, we all pay for return RMA shipping. Seems like it sucks, but they'll pay to ship it back. Either way, I have confidence they already have something in the works. The reality of things is that vendors run in to an issue now and then. While an inconvenience to some, it keeps them on their toes.

"Can't learn to pick ourselves up, if we don't fall."

Thanks for the link. I started posting on Koolance's forum yesterday.

when you have someone like that you need to move up the chain.. Next time ask to speak to his/her supervisor (without being rude)

The prob with issuing refunds and a big company is practically no one is authorized to do it. You need to find the person that is and make them pay first (newegg will email/fax me a prepaid shipping label)

If they said the block would fit and it dosent they are at fault and should cover the shipping cost.

I guess I was just a little to "nice":)

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
remember the people we normally speak to would probably rather be doing something else than talking to a complaining customer.

So when you give right up not much gets solved.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
What the heck is an RMA going to fix? Short of milling off the offending edge of the block, they'd need to redesign the block, retool dies and build new ones.

I bet you'll be getting back the same waterblock, with a shiny brand new shim. They've done it before.

Naekuh

System Name Nadeshiko
Cooling Custom H2o
Case MM U2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra 1.6KW
Software Win7
I bet you'll be getting back the same waterblock, with a shiny brand new shim. They've done it before.

link?

As i said i have yet to see koolance screw people over.

Paying for return shipping maybe a little harsh, but i highly doubt they will send them the exact same block polished.

This is the same company that issued RMA's to 9800GX2 owners on a PCB revision that made there block obsolete.

Now which vendor would do that?
Because EK, DD, HK, and Swiftech would of said Tough luck on you not checking.

This is a little goof on koolance, and i feel your frustration.
But if you have something bad to say about them, please link it.
The guys at koolance are my friends, and i look out for them.

And it looks like they are gonna make the base more square, so it fits the bracket instead of a hex shape it is at right now.
By making the base square, they can fix the fitting issue.

Your might want to ask if its just a base change, in which if they say yes, ask them for the new base, and keep your existing block.
Then you probably wont eat any type of shipping.

Last edited:

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
What the heck is an RMA going to fix? Short of milling off the offending edge of the block, they'd need to redesign the block, retool dies and build new ones.

the bottom is too thin to mill, They will probably make a modified mounting plate

+1 on Koolance being a good company..This is really not that big of a deal (the fix is easy and only need to mod the brackets 4 mounting holes just a bit )

Last edited:

Naekuh

System Name Nadeshiko
Cooling Custom H2o
Case MM U2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra 1.6KW
Software Win7
those of you guys who have this problem.

Seriously b4 you start rmaing the entire block off to koolance, ask them if its just a base fix or if they are gonna go entirely to a new V2.

If they say its a simple base fix, i see no point in returning your blocks.
Ask them to send you the new base fix, and they should be most happy with that.

OR ask them if you can just mail in the base alone, and get a replacement base.

Naekuh

System Name Nadeshiko
Cooling Custom H2o
Case MM U2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra 1.6KW
Software Win7
UPDATE FROM KOOLANCE:

[Koolance] Tim said:
We are currently investigating reports of mounting conflicts on some Gigabyte X58 motherboards with the CPU-360. Although Gigabyte seems to be the main issue, we will be looking into other brands.

The problem relates to capacitors which are too close to the CPU socket. The CPU-360 is 59mm at the widest part of the cold plate. There needs to be at least 2.65mm of clearance between nearby rows of capacitors and the closest edge of the CPU socket. Updates will be posted here once we know more, including potential workarounds and/or modifications to the CPU-360.

Pictures of an ASUS Rampage II GENE (with the CPU-360 mounted properly) are below.

So the asus boards have no problems.. its the giggy boards..

Temujin

I went down to Koolance to pick up a CPU-360 to try out on the P55/P55A boards. Thus far, it's only the GIGABYTE X58/X58A motherboards that are having the issue as no other manufacturer has anything else so close to the CPU socket. Who would have thought those little caps could still be in the way?

I also spoke with the marketing jedi at Koolance. They are NOT going to go with a cheap, non-quality options, like a shim. I repeat, that's a big fat negative on the shim option. Right now, things are leaning to a revised block because the walls are too thin for milling. Plus, the O-ring is just inside that same thin wall. So, expect a revised block ASAP.

In the meantime, I'm quickly installing the 360 block on the P55A-UD6 and UD7 to rule them out. These are the only two P55/P55A boards that have caps some what close. (Love it when the installation brackets are the same for several generations. Makes swapping the block a breeze.)

Back soon.

Temujin

CPU-360 Compatible w/ GIGABYTE P55/P55A Motherboards

Edited: With Update

It appears there are now more X58 boards to add to the incompatibility list (thanks to the help of PugetSystems). The list includes Asus, Asrock, EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSI. Look for the small capacitors that are really close to the back side of the CPU socket. If the capacitors on your board are within 1/8 of the socket, the block will have issues. Due to this latest development, a new foot print is in the works.

The block works fine on the various P55/P55A boards I have, including their flag ship UD6 and UD7 which have the most capacitors. So, no worries in that department.

The revision is in the works. If you already ordered a block for your X58/A and it does not work, contact Koolance RMA. We were assured that they will take care of you. Be patient and wait for a response.

Last edited: