• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Steps into Alleged Counterfeit Core i7 920 Sale Issue

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That's like saying you paid $500,000 on a house and your builder promised to give it to you in "a guaranteed" one year, and ends up taking two years to do that, and that your knowing the truth behind the delay is an "undeserved entitlement".

Besides, we're missing the point. According to Intel, these are certainly not "demo boxes". So one of these: Newegg or its supplier, is in for trouble...part of what's making news.:)

$500,000 is a little more than $300, and dealing with a time contract is different then purely goods sales.

In the end, when you buy goods, the only thing you are entitled to is the goods. If you get something different, all the seller is responsible for is making sure you get what you paid for. They are not responsible for giving reasons behinds mix-ups. It would be nice to know what really happened and why, and a good gesture on newegg's part to give a true* explaination, but they buyer is not entitled to an explaination.

*By true, I mean true as far as newegg knows. As I stated before, if D&H told newegg they were demo boxes, newegg had no way of knowing otherwise.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
$500,000 is a little more than $300, and dealing with a time contract is different then purely goods sales.

In the end, when you buy goods, the only thing you are entitled to is the goods. If you get something different, all the seller is responsible for is making sure you get what you paid for. They are not responsible for giving reasons behinds mix-ups. It would be nice to know what really happened and why, and a good gesture on newegg's part to give a true* explaination, but they buyer is not entitled to an explaination.

*By true, I mean true as far as newegg knows. As I stated before, if D&H told newegg they were demo boxes, newegg had no way of knowing otherwise.

When those mixups affects you, then the issue is different. Think system builders, think company IT departments - people for whom this ≥1 week delay deserves a little more than free replacement or full refund as compensation.

And regardless of Newegg not knowing if these were "counterfeit merchandise" or "demo boxes", it's Newegg and not its supplier that's liable for this mess, to the customer.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
I agree with newtekie1 as Newegg is really hands down the best. Sure, there are others who have better deals and cheaper shipping at times, but by far, Newegg is the best. Also, ADVANCED RMA means they ship the product to you, usually at a greater cost than shipping you may have paid, and most times, its either overnight or maybe 2 day air. I think this was a good move on their part after noticing the error or being told about it and as always, their customer service has come through. However, of course, continue to bash them as you do not deal with them. they are doing the best they can with what they have and I highly doubt they sold any "fake" or "counterfeit" products to its customers. It is unfortunate what happened, but it has happened and they were quick to get it fixed.

Also, Id like to applaud Intel for stepping in to clarify what was being said and also being a good business in general. Well done Intel and Newegg.

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
Get 'em Intel! There are some seriously greedy people on this earth....it makes me sad. :(

I'll still gladly shop at newegg anyway without hesitation. :toast:

Kei

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
When those mixups affects you, then the issue is different. Think system builders, think company IT departments - people for whom this ≥1 week delay deserves a little more than free replacement or full refund as compensation.

Greater than 1 week delay? You sure about that? From what I've read, the issue was discovered by the customers Thursday(3-4), and newegg was overnighting replacement Friday so they would arrive Monday(3-8), if not sending them out Monday arriving Tuesday. That isn't exactly a 1 week delay...:laugh:

And again, they are not entitled to an explaination. They might want one, and ask for one, and newegg might give one, but the customer certainly is not entitled to an explaination in any way.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Let’s not forget that it appears that Newegg has also been defrauded. They’re taking all appropriate steps to ensure that their customers receive what they paid for.

There will likely not be an explanation from Newegg on this, at least not for some time. The amount of money involved and the fact that the fraud crossed state lines means the FBI will be investigating what happened.

I ordered a new CPU and ram from them this morning, I have no doubt I will receive what I ordered. Newegg’s customer service has gone above and beyond my expectations when I have dealt with them.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Me too Kei. So I followed up more on the HardOCP links posted by Ford and some others. I didn't realize D&H was so bent out of shape over their name being mentioned like only once or twice and very late on the posting. To me this screams coverup or something fishy. I don't fault newegg too much, but they really need to enhance their QA/QC of checking stuff like that. Question, does anyone know if the boxes felt the same (meaning weight wise) or different (eg. lighter) than a normal proc box?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Greater than 1 week delay? You sure about that? From what I've read, the issue was discovered by the customers Thursday(3-4), and newegg was overnighting replacement Friday so they would arrive Monday(3-8), if not sending them out Monday arriving Tuesday. That isn't exactly a 1 week delay...:laugh:

No, customers may have placed orders originally on last Monday (to get this "demo box" delivered to them) on Wednesday or Thursday. Newegg gave out its statement acknowledging this on Friday, it got in touch with customers on that day. Then comes weekend (nobody delivers either ways), and then customers opting for replacement send their "demo boxes" back to Newegg. Then typically Newegg takes a working day to process even advanced RMA, and sends back its merchandise via overnight.

So let's see:
  • Saturday 2/27/2010 (original order placed) or
  • Monday 3/1/2010 (original order placed)
  • Tuesday customers who opted for overnight deliveries get this "demo box", complain, compaints start pouring in.
  • Wednesday or Thursday (they receive this "demo box", if they'd used a standard 3 business day shipping, same day they complain, sizable number of complaints are built and at Newegg, a "one off issue" turns into a large scale problem
  • Regardless of when the original order fetched "demo boxes" to customers, On Friday, Newegg makes these public statements, and sends emails to affected customers
  • Probably the same day or Monday, customers choosing replacement or refund send their "demo box" back to Newegg
  • Weekend (nobody delivers the "demo chip" to newegg)
  • Monday - 1 calendar week has already elapsed, tentatively Newegg receives and processes the "demo box", processes Advanced RMA
  • Monday or Tuesday, Newegg, upon successful verification of the "demo box" puts a Core i7 920 on overnight delivery
  • Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on the above), customer finally gets what he paid for.

Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Fedex ships on Saturdays, UPS does not. So there is a company that ships on the weekends (not Sunday that I know of).

bat

I think you're dead wrong btarunr.

There any many situations and scenarios that could have happened. The bottom line is they are taking care of their customer to the best of their ability! They are proactively sending out emails instead of waiting to hear from customers first. They are providing free overnight shipping or refunds depending on what customers prefer. How could they take care of their customers any better reasonably?

For all we know the distributor gave them that excuse and before they got a chance to investigate it fully (maybe because they wanted to take care of their customers) they went with that story. Would you rather wait while they investigate it to find out exactly what happened before they took care of their customers? We're not entitled to know EVERYTHING that might have impacted our order timing.

The truth is probably not so picture perfect but I bet its a far cry from how evil you're making them sound for telling either a white lie or what they believed to be the truth.

In the end they're taking care of their customers and there's not much else you could ask for.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think you're dead wrong btarunr.

There any many situations and scenarios that could have happened. The bottom line is they are taking care of their customer to the best of their ability! They are proactively sending out emails instead of waiting to hear from customers first. They are providing free overnight shipping or refunds depending on what customers prefer. How could they take care of their customers any better reasonably?

For all we know they distributor gave them that excuse and before they got a chance to investigate it fully (maybe because they wanted to take care of their customers) they went with that story. Would you rather wait while they investigate it to find out exactly what happened before they took care of their customers? We're not entitled to know EVERYTHING that might have impacted our order timing.

The truth is probably not so picture perfect but I bet its a far cry from how evil you're making them sound for telling either a white lie or what they believed to be the truth.

In the end their taking care of their customers and there's not much else you could ask for.

Nobody is giving them discredit for that. If you read the article, there's nothing that maligns Newegg, at least nothing that isn't backed by citations.

The truth is Newegg told its customers they got "demo boxes". Press alleged it's a cover up (many in the older news thread did, too) and in response, instead of coming out to clarify, Newegg's suppliers sent cease and desist orders to the press. Then the press called in Intel and asked for its take. Intel said that no, those parts aren't demo boxes, they're counterfeits. Meanwhile Newegg is resolving the issue with customers. So regardless of who came up with the "tell them they're demo boxes" idea, Newegg lied to its customers.

Now, is there really something you couldn't understand from the news? There's no need to be defensive about Newegg in the whole discussion. I myself am a Newegg customer, I know their standards.

bat

'And regardless of Newegg not knowing if these were "counterfeit merchandise" or "demo boxes", it's Newegg and not its supplier that's liable for this mess, to the customer.'

They're responsible so they're responsibly taking care of their customers.

Also why are you holding them responsible for their supplier sending out cease and desist orders?

If an employee is drunk and puts the wrong item in your box and you have to exchange it are you entitled to know an employee was drunk on the job and got fired? No they'll apologize for the mix-up and correct it the best they can.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Also why are you holding them responsible for their supplier sending out cease and desist orders?

I didn't. That's where you're wrong :)

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Newegg, I think, is dealing well with this mess... and it kind of protects their name by saying demo boxes instead of counterfeit... They could, however, offer a small compensation at least

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Honestly, I don't see how Newegg "lied" to their customers. That email went out on Saturday and their supplier could have told them that they were demo units. Was it just this morning that Intel reported that they don't have demo versions of their products?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Honestly, I don't see how Newegg "lied" to their customers. That email went out on Saturday and their supplier could have told them that they were demo units. Was it just this morning that Intel reported that they don't have demo versions of their products?

Newegg told them they're "demo boxes", keeping Newegg's reputation in mind, press sought to tackle Newegg's supplier, and not Newegg. Press got whacked with C&Ds. Press proved its point through Intel's intervention that there's no such thing as "demo boxes", and these are counterfeits to the T. Newegg maintains that these are "demo versions" (earlier "demo boxes"), in their latest communications, and didn't clarify. Therefore, Newegg is lying to its customers. Yes, as long as you get your chip, and are satisfied with Newegg's way of making it up to you, you shouldn't care. But the scope of this report and several like it is not that.

bat

'The truth is Newegg told its customers they got "demo boxes". Press alleged it's a cover up (many in the older news thread did, too) and in response, instead of coming out to clarify, Newegg's suppliers sent cease and desist orders to the press. Then the press called in Intel and asked for its take. Intel said that no, those parts aren't demo boxes, they're counterfeits. Meanwhile Newegg is resolving the issue with customers. So regardless of who came up with the "tell them they're demo boxes" idea, Newegg lied to its customers.'

Gotta go to work so last post from me.

You saying they 'lied' indicates they knew exactly what happened before they sent out any statements. It also portrays newegg in a sinister and damning light which is why I took a defensive tone on their behalf since I think they're a great company. Also including their distributors actions in the same statement you're criticizing newegg in it seems like you're grouping them together.

So you say I'm wrong, I'll agree to disagree.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
'The truth is Newegg told its customers they got "demo boxes". Press alleged it's a cover up (many in the older news thread did, too) and in response, instead of coming out to clarify, Newegg's suppliers sent cease and desist orders to the press. Then the press called in Intel and asked for its take. Intel said that no, those parts aren't demo boxes, they're counterfeits. Meanwhile Newegg is resolving the issue with customers. So regardless of who came up with the "tell them they're demo boxes" idea, Newegg lied to its customers.'

Gotta go to work so last post from me.

You saying they 'lied' indicates they knew exactly what happened before they sent out any statements. It also portrays newegg in a sinister and damning light which is why I took a defensive tone on their behalf since I think they're a great company. Also including their distributors actions in the same statement you're criticizing newegg in it seems like you're grouping them together.

So you say I'm wrong, I'll agree to disagree.

The communication is between Newegg and its customer. Newegg by now, or at least by Friday, knew that calling them "demo boxes" is factually incorrect, and could also invite action from Intel (for retailing non-Intel goods with Intel's product design, brand name, and not later acknowledging that those were counterfeit). As long as Newegg maintains the stand that those were "Demo boxes" or "demo version" (300-odd in number), it's lying to its customers, period.

Once again let me reiterate that the scope of the news article (and even this discussion) is not to talk about Newegg. In the article, Newegg is but a small component of the issue. There's no need to be so defensive about Newegg. Yes Newegg did a great job dealing with its customers, but that's not central to the issue.

mikek75

System Name As easy as falling off a lorry
Processor Core I5 2500K auto tuned to 4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Cooling Corsair H80 sealed water cooler
Memory 16gb Gskill Ripjawz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6970 2GB
Storage Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD, OCZ 60 GB Agility 3 SSD, Seagate 500GB, 2x80gb Maxtors
Display(s) DELL 2309w 23" Widescreen 1920x1080+ LG M2294D 22" 1680x1050 LCDtv/monitor
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling 750w Silencer Quad PCIe
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
You do realize that it is far more likely that D&H told newegg they were demo boxes shipped on accident, and newegg just passed the story on, right?

Besides that, the only way they could have shot themselves in the foot would be to not take care of the customers, and they did that very quickly. They can say whatever story they want.

Utter crap. The statement came out way after the story broke on the forums, which included pictures of all the grammatical and spelling mistakes pointed out. If they were "demo" boxes they wouldn't have had such errors.

Of course they've shot themselves in the foot, its a PR disaster. Yeah, they can say what they like, but saying the first thing that came into their head without the facts, instead of admitting they'd been caught out, is disingenuous. Or is that how YOU carry out your business?

Pickles24

System Name El Niño
Processor i7 920 d0
Motherboard GIGABYTE x58A-ud7 | f7w
Cooling Duniek GTZ | BlackIce Xtreme III
Memory 6x2g OCZ Obsidian 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 470 | EK FC470
Storage 2x Western Digital 500gig
Display(s) Acer G245Hbmid Black 24"
Case Obsidian 800D
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Software Linux Mint 9 | Win 7 x64
In reality, What demo is a piece of clay/mold with a fan sticker and a chip made of metal with a sticker instead of actual pins. I think Newegg reacted with the "demo version" to cover their own tails.. As they should. I still plan on ordering form them, just like the last 5 years or so. Someone made off with $80k street value.. I wonder if they can trace the chips missing by serial?

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I think they lied... but TBH, for the average buyer, newegg's name does not get hurt as much by demo boxes than by counterfeit products...

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Not that I think they were, but this doesn't prove they weren't "demo boxes"—or that they weren't intended by Newegg to be used as demo boxes as newtekie said. It just proves they weren't demo boxes made by Intel. Realize that not all demo products out there are authorized/manufactured/sourced by the manufacturer of the actual item, anyway.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
No, customers may have placed orders originally on last Monday (to get this "demo box" delivered to them) on Wednesday or Thursday. Newegg gave out its statement acknowledging this on Friday, it got in touch with customers on that day. Then comes weekend (nobody delivers either ways), and then customers opting for replacement send their "demo boxes" back to Newegg. Then typically Newegg takes a working day to process even advanced RMA, and sends back its merchandise via overnight.

So let's see:
  • Saturday 2/27/2010 (original order placed) or
  • Monday 3/1/2010 (original order placed)
  • Tuesday customers who opted for overnight deliveries get this "demo box", complain, compaints start pouring in.
  • Wednesday or Thursday (they receive this "demo box", if they'd used a standard 3 business day shipping, same day they complain, sizable number of complaints are built and at Newegg, a "one off issue" turns into a large scale problem
  • Regardless of when the original order fetched "demo boxes" to customers, On Friday, Newegg makes these public statements, and sends emails to affected customers
  • Probably the same day or Monday, customers choosing replacement or refund send their "demo box" back to Newegg
  • Weekend (nobody delivers the "demo chip" to newegg)
  • Monday - 1 calendar week has already elapsed, tentatively Newegg receives and processes the "demo box", processes Advanced RMA
  • Monday or Tuesday, Newegg, upon successful verification of the "demo box" puts a Core i7 920 on overnight delivery
  • Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on the above), customer finally gets what he paid for.

So worst case, assuming the initially paid for overnight shipping and recieved the "demo box" on Tuesday it is a 1 week delay. I'm guess when they complained to newegg on Tuesday, the process was started to replace the item. Though do we have any reports from people earlier than Thursday about the issue?

And again, from what I have read customers are not having to ship the demo box back before newegg ships them a proper item. Just pictures of the demo box emailed to newegg customer service, and newegg overnights the new item.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Utter crap. The statement came out way after the story broke on the forums, which included pictures of all the grammatical and spelling mistakes pointed out. If they were "demo" boxes they wouldn't have had such errors.

Of course they've shot themselves in the foot, its a PR disaster. Yeah, they can say what they like, but saying the first thing that came into their head without the facts, instead of admitting they'd been caught out, is disingenuous. Or is that how YOU carry out your business?

So you are saying it is impossible that D&H told newegg they were demo boxes, for whatever reason, and newegg simply passed the story on?

But instead it is far more likely that newegg came up with a lie about the issue and falsely blamed it on specifically one of their major suppliers without reason. Yeah, that makes business sense right there.:rolleyes: I wonder which is more plausable...

And the statement didn't come out "way after" the story broke on the forums. The story hit the forums at about 8PM Thursday, and the statement came out less than 24 hours later at 5PM Friday. I've dealt with suppliers, and I can tell you when I call them for something that isn't related to buying product, it can take a while to get a response. That is a reasonable amount of time really, you call them up and wait for them to respond, and it probably took D&H a while to figure out the issue and respond also.

And it actually isn't a PR disaster, if anything it helps their reputation, because they are handling the issue so quickly, and making the situation with their customers right as quickly and painlessly as possible.