• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve to Deliver Steam and Source on Mac

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
If this really is based in OpenGL and not some weird licensed Apple crap cause they think everything should be made in house, about 1 step. The beauty of this is Steam is a self contained program, so all games installed through Steam, exist within the Steam program.

That basically means if they can get it installed and the connection to the internet working correctly, Linux is completely doable.

it is based on opengl actually. source engine has had the capability for some time now.. you can run tf2/l4d in opengl mode with a command line of "-gl"

the hard part is porting the actual steam platform and game binaries etc to mac..

i'm sure linux isn't far away, since os x is based on darwin linux..

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Will i have to purchase a "mac specific" version? or can I use my pc keyed versions?

If no one has answered you yet, MAC OS-x is based on linux/unix type systems so you will have to get a mac specific version.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
If no one has answered you yet, MAC OS-x is based on linux/unix type systems so you will have to get a mac specific version.

i highly doubt it, since steam games can be installed as many times as wanted on any computer.. as long as you can authenticate your account login with steam servers and your steam account has a valid copy of the game attached to it, you should be able to download and play it, regardless of os.. the steam play feature being introduced alongside this update supports the idea..

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
it is based on opengl actually. source engine has had the capability for some time now.. you can run tf2/l4d in opengl mode with a command line of "-gl"

the hard part is porting the actual steam platform and game binaries etc to mac..

i'm sure linux isn't far away, since os x is based on darwin linux..

Not sure about this:

That is only true for Valve games and some games that were released on OS X, but most of the 3rd party games do not offer OpenGL as a option. If Steam/Valve is serious about this, they will either have to start some serious negotiations or force DX10/9 games to run as OpenGL and that is what is going to take some doing. Otherwise, just rebuilding the plateform to offer Valve games on Mac OSX would not take that much work, since as you stated, all Valve games will run in DX and OpenGL.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Not sure about this:

That is only true for Valve games and some games that were released on OS X, but most of the 3rd party games do not offer OpenGL as a option. If Steam/Valve is serious about this, they will either have to start some serious negotiations or force DX10/9 games to run as OpenGL and that is what is going to take some doing. Otherwise, just rebuilding the plateform to offer Valve games on Mac OSX would not take that much work, since as you stated, all Valve games will run in DX and OpenGL.

well of course.. basically what valve is doing here, is moving the actual steam platform to mac. this way, they can promote and host games made for macs. they are using their own games as examples of games that can be run on both platforms, but for all of the other games, it is up to the developers to come up with emulations/new binaries/etc... if they want to serve a larger consumer base..

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
well of course.. basically what valve is doing here, is moving the actual steam platform to mac. this way, they can promote and host games made for macs. they are using their own games as examples of games that can be run on both platforms, but for all of the other games, it is up to the developers to come up with emulations/new binaries/etc... if they want to serve a larger consumer base..

Don't crush my dreams for Mac users with your logic and truth. I was looking forward to killing pretentious Mac guys in BFBC2 because they annoy me (I mean that literally cause I work in customer service. I know that does not apply to all Mac users. Some are pretty damn cool, but the ones that call me are.....well pretentious douches).

I guess we just have to admit it now. This will only bring Valve games to Mac. Most other 3rd party games from the older library will be a no go, most of the cool indie titles are OpenGL anyway, so we get those, but the bulk of their library are DX platform only and 95% of them will not recode a damn thing to expand their market into a quote "small portion of the computer community and even smaller segment of the gaming sub-community."

They will simply claim redevelopment and maintenance will cost too much to do with current titles, but may consider it in the future depending on how Valve does with this. It is a dick move, but it is safe to let Valve test the waters before jumping in head first.

I also think Valve should wait and launch this with a new title like Half-Life 2 Episode 3 or Team Fortress 3 or Portal 2: Epic Awesomeness, because launching the platform with nothing new or fresh is just a bad idea.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Don't crush my dreams for Mac users with your logic and truth. I was looking forward to killing pretentious Mac guys in BFBC2 because they annoy me (I mean that literally cause I work in customer service. I know that does not apply to all Mac users. Some are pretty damn cool, but the ones that call me are.....well pretentious douches).

I guess we just have to admit it now. This will only bring Valve games to Mac. Most other 3rd party games from the older library will be a no go, most of the cool indie titles are OpenGL anyway, so we get those, but the bulk of their library are DX platform only and 95% of them will not recode a damn thing to expand their market into a quote "small portion of the computer community and even smaller segment of the gaming sub-community."

They will simply claim redevelopment and maintenance will cost too much to do with current titles, but may consider it in the future depending on how Valve does with this. It is a dick move, but it is safe to let Valve test the waters before jumping in head first.

I also think Valve should wait and launch this with a new title like Half-Life 2 Episode 3 or Team Fortress 3 or Portal 2: Epic Awesomeness, because launching the platform with nothing new or fresh is just a bad idea.

portal 2 is coming out :)

companies building games in opengl will probably port for mac so as to become more popular and what not..

however, the big companies may or may not bite.. i think blizzard might venture into the mac market.. since they have like wow for mac etc..

one thing is for sure however.. with the steam distribution platform expanding to cover macs, we will be seeing more multi-platform games coming out soon..

System Name mult1kill
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.7
Motherboard GA-AX370-GAMING 5
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Team Group 32gb 3200mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Storage Seagate 3TB+ Corsair 120GB SSD+120 ssd smansung 256gb m.2 Samsung 970
Case NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Sundara JDS Labs Atom
Power Supply FSP HydroG 850W
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
FINALLY YES!!!!, im excited

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
i highly doubt it, since steam games can be installed as many times as wanted on any computer.. as long as you can authenticate your account login with steam servers and your steam account has a valid copy of the game attached to it, you should be able to download and play it, regardless of os.. the steam play feature being introduced alongside this update supports the idea..

What I mean to say is, it will be a special mac version of the program, if you already own the game then yeah it be fucked up crazy for steam to not allow you to download it for a different OS.

But then again they are a business, and businesses are evil sometimes.

DirectorC

System Name -= Son of a Whore =-
Processor E8400 @ 4.0GHz (445 x 9)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GT 512
Storage 74GB Raptor + Caviars in RAID0
Display(s) I-Inc 19" LCD 1440x900
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE & Logitech X-540
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Benchmark Scores Logitech KB & Sidewinder X3
System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
What I mean to say is, it will be a special mac version of the program, if you already own the game then yeah it be fucked up crazy for steam to not allow you to download it for a different OS.

But then again they are a business, and businesses are evil sometimes.

Not Valve. They are neutral and misunderstood.

I mean, I still don't get your question, but yes this will be a special version of Steam for Mac users. The games installed will, for the most part not be the special version; however, games that will not run in OpenGL as the graphical software interface will not run on Mac OSX. Valve games already run in DX and OpenGL so it will be the exact same file system as currently in place. Other companies like EA, THQ, and 2K games will need to restructure some of the game to get it to run on OpenGL.

Actually altering the code properly will take time and money and I personally don't see any company volunteering to do that out the gate (as seen in discussion above); however, implementing a translator to just convert DX commands to OpenGL works, but at the cost of performance. I can see the second wave of companies that decide to join Valve in this using this path for current and older single player games.

Sorry, wishful thinking. Lets just leave this as Win for Mac, win for PC gaming (since someone still cares, thank you Valve), and hope others will jump on board with this whole heartedly in the near future.

This still seems wrong to me. I mean OpenGL future development die some time ago. Will this revitalize the effort to improve it and bring it up to date so to speak. Mac uses OpenGL for games to an extent, but isn't their default graphics API something else?

Last edited:
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
"The games installed will, for the most part not be the special version"

Surely they would have to be other wise illegal copies of left 4 dead( and other games) would be playable on mac?

Its not just the DX/open GL etc I'm pretty sure OS-X doesn't even use .exe files.

( don't quote me on that, been years since I've used one )

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
"The games installed will, for the most part not be the special version"

Surely they would have to be other wise illegal copies of left 4 dead( and other games) would be playable on mac?

Its not just the DX/open GL etc I'm pretty sure OS-X doesn't even use .exe files.

( don't quote me on that, been years since I've used one )

I am not sure Steam does either. I mean the Steam platform is lauched with an .exe, but the games are not stored in a "normal method". Instead of .exe files and folders, it creates icon links to directories and libraries within Steam. So, like you I am not sure, but I don't think that will be an issue.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Hah! iSteam :roll:

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2

Mac is unix based, not linux based and i have a mac. It would be nice if steam let you install it anyway on the mac without re-buying it.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Mac is unix based, not linux based and i have a mac. It would be nice if steam let you install it anyway on the mac without re-buying it.

We know. Linux is based on Unix as well. At the core, they are the same. It just a different implementation. Many parts, API systems, and general design of how the OS works are nearly identical. So in large, going from Mac to Linux is not that big a jump because they are cousins at this point.

idx

This is really cool , but i really don't think that Mac have any chance to get a good image quality or performance , this is why all pro computer users and hardcore players go to PC.
also there is no way to get the same graphics level of DirectX on OpenGL.

System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
Intel cpu in a mac,, today's mac is a pc with mac OS. is this going to work only for today's macs that have intel cpu's or will it work on a true mac post intel cpu,, still great news for gamers

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I wonder if graphics cards for macs will start to become cheaper if gaming gets more popular on the platform?

mysticjon

Processor AMD Phenom x4 9850 black edition
Cooling big water 745
Memory Kingston 4gb(1gbx4) ddr2 (dual channel)
Video Card(s) ati sapphire radeon hd 6850
Storage 2tb
Display(s) samsung 226bw 22 inch wide lcd screen
Case apeiva qpack2
Audio Device(s) creative soundblaster X-fi fatal1ty series
Power Supply silent pro 600watt modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86
didnt know Macs decided to become a "gaming" type computer. i mean with all there cheesy "i" products. there users think highly of themsevles just because they can afford an overpriced computer with the exact same hardware as a pc but the only thing holding them back is their OS. the physical appearance of a mac looks great, the inside ehh looks like they had a war inside. Companies like dell, hp, levano, etc etc are shit. i guess im so use to building my own, i hardly pay any attention to any computer companies out there.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
If anything, this will help OpenGL. Mac's development as a gaming platform will make developers choose GL to minimize effort in porting their games to Mac. In due course that could also invite Linux ports. Epic with its Linux-Windows versions of Unreal Tournament (upto UT2K4) make it look a little too easy to cater to two platforms using the same disc. There's just two sets of 50 MB executable parts, same resources.

idx

I don’t think that game developers will go for OpenGL just because of the 4% of users "Mac users around the world" , also I am sure that developers don't even think about losing that level of visual and graphics effects of the DirectX and go for OpenGL they know that all gamers don’t want to see new game with low graphics level they always looking for better graphics lvl. and now even Nvidia and ATI are ignoring the OpenGL and building their GPUs on DirectX11 and OCL spec for GPGPU.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Good news for the simpleton users I mean Mac users :D