• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux/Unix ?

if its in a virtual environment (like the wubi installer) the video driver wont work. that is ANY OS in a virtual environment.

if it was on reasl hardware there is a 3 step tutorial that is point and click easy to install the preloaded video driver. somewhere you missed it.

also copy and paste is as easy as highlighting the text you want and middle clicking where you want it.

the learning curve is as hard or as easy as you want to make it.
Forgive my ignorance, but,

I thought a Wubi installation was a legit (ie non virtual) installation. As I understand it, the Linux filesystem is stored in a file in the NTFS file system and that you run the system naively, but you have to go through the NFTS fs to get to the linux fs, so there's a disk performance hit.

If it is a virtual installation, why won't installing a graphics driver work? (I just don't know)

*sigh* Played with Ubuntu. I like this distro, still not really user friendly. Ubuntu is nice with all the internet and multimedia, and easy update support, but like all other linux distro, you can't get anything unless you know all the 1000 arcane console commands. I can't even do a simple COPY/PASTE without reading 2 pages worth of console commands and explanations on how to change folder permissions! Seriously, is it so much to ask for a linux distro where you can get 99% things done just by a simple double click? I downloaded linux nvidia drivers. Why must I have to type sh /jibber jabba jibber jabba jibber jabba to install a stupid driver? Console commands, tolerable. Double click will make linux a total winner for the average joe computer user. Well, most linux distros are free, so I can't really whine, can't I? :banghead:

Copy paste? Same as in Windows. You must be trying to paste into the terminal. It's Ctrl + Shift + Z iirc. It took me a while to figure that out too. ;) The nvidia driver I used was in the Restricted Drivers thing. It just showed up, I said install, and boom, it worked.

Personally, I like the command line. It's cumbersome at first, but after I got familiar with it, I actually prefer it for simple tasks like installing or moving/deleting files. Another plus is that you don't have to know what you're doing. The person in the tutorial can give you a command that will do exactly what they want it to do without you knowing anything. It's better than trying to tell you what to click on and such.

I think that Ubuntu takes some time to get used to. I think it takes time to get used to even Windows, but you're familiar with that already, so it's easy to use. If you use Ubuntu for a bit, I'm sure you'll get familiar with it to the point where you can use it comfortably.

I say stick with it.

System Name Adult Entertainment
Processor i7 2600K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Evo with two Noctua 12cm fans
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce GTX 690
Storage two 3TB hard drives
Display(s) 27" Asus
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) Motherboard Soundcard FTW!
Power Supply Seasonic X850
Software Windows 10 64bit | Linux Mint | Windows XP 32bit
Benchmark Scores Score: OMFGWTFBBQSPEED!
Oh I was able to install the driver from the hardware detection and it activates the restricted drivers (thanks to ubuntu wiki site). I just got annoy that I could not install the driver from the nvidia website. Going back to the main point. This is the year...2010? And I still need to type in commands like back in the Commodore era? Typing in commands is fine, but that should be an option, not a requirement just to get simple tasks done. I'm still going to try to learn linux and command lines, but I'm doing this on my leisure time. If I wanted to work hard on a leisure time, I rather work on suping up my honda accord. :rockout:

As far as wubi goes, the wubi website ssays the installation is not virtual environment, but a real install.
Anyway thanks again, for the inputs. :)

Last edited:

strick94u

System Name CrashMaster 17.2/ crashmaster(M) ROG
Processor CD2 E8400@4.0 ghz/ i5 430@ 2.577 mhz
Motherboard EVGA 680i/ patogram inc intel north bridge
Cooling Monsoon vigor gaming II/ fan and vents
Memory 4 gig OCZ pc8500 DDR2/ 4 gigs ddr3
Video Card(s) 2 X EVGA 8800gts 512 735/1045/nvidia 360 gtsm gddr5
Storage 2 X WD 150 Raptors Raid 0+600gig usb/ 500 gig hitachi
Display(s) Samsung 2232 bw Sync Master 22" HD/16.9 inch asus
Case Enermax uber chakra/ asus republic of gamers
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI 5.1 speakers/creative eax 4.0
Power Supply OCZ extream Gaming 650 watt 4x18a/ external
Software Dos 6.22/ win 3.11 for networks/ms bob server
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18,201/10601 3dmark05 23,943/not run Aquamark 218,094/not run
why some people prefer one operating system over another??? I dont know ;) Bill Gates says that O/S should be so simple that a penguin can use it (ok, that sounds wrong, why the penguins) I guess thats why you are using windows right now, it looks nice and easy to operate. Linus Torvolds (the guy who 1st designed Linux, in case you dont know) says that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with no restriction, therefore its interface can look as ugly as hell and people have to use command lines. Its hard to operate at first, because who wants to type command when you can just drag and click (well, that was the old days, thanks to red hat and ubuntu, its the same now) Linux is not just a thing, its more like an ideal. It gives its users the power to do whatever they want. But you see, the problems is that newbies dont have any knowledge to even operate the thing, let alone appreciate the beauty of an open source O/S. They get frustrated and sometimes become too lazy to search for relevant knowledge to help themselves. Yes, in windows, people just grab an application and go and in linux sometimes you have to build your applications from source. It is important to be self-sufficient and read manuals and solves problems independently and that takes time. OK, I should stop rambling nonsense now ;) and one last word, like linus once said "software is like sex, its best when its free" ;)
GNU.org 1983 if you want to know where it came from. still a better take off from unix and of coarse ATT unix is the real thing ;)

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
*sigh* Played with Ubuntu. I like this distro, still not really user friendly. Ubuntu is nice with all the internet and multimedia, and easy update support, but like all other linux distro, you can't get anything unless you know all the 1000 arcane console commands. I can't even do a simple COPY/PASTE without reading 2 pages worth of console commands and explanations on how to change folder permissions! Seriously, is it so much to ask for a linux distro where you can get 99% things done just by a simple double click? I downloaded linux nvidia drivers. Why must I have to type sh /jibber jabba jibber jabba jibber jabba to install a stupid driver? Console commands, tolerable. Double click will make linux a total winner for the average joe computer user. Well, most linux distros are free, so I can't really whine, can't I? :banghead:

Which version were you using? 6.10? 1000's of arcane code? WTF?!!! I only use "arcane code" when I want to. sh and ./ are very common on most unix based OSes. it is the same thing as .exe and .bat or .com for Windows. Double click works most of the time, especially when you install a .deb package from the desktop. Get with the times grandpa. My 5yr old nephew can install programs in Linux using Ubuntu or just about any other Linux OS.