• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x800 mem performance

Swagman6531

I have an ATI x800 Pro VIVO that I just flashed to an XT PE with the faster clock speed and the unlocked pipelines. Now my card has the 1.6ns Samsung memory chips on it which means they are rated for a 600mhz clock but the fastest I've been able to get them to go is 560mhz. Stock speed is only 450 but since they are 1.6ns shouldn't they be able to go much faster. I even bought an ATI Silencer4 to cool the mem chips better and still at about 570 I start getting a ton of artifacts.

gerrynicol

System Name Home built
Processor Core i7-920 4.0Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6t OC
Cooling Akasa Nero
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-1348Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 SLi
Storage 160GB, 250GB, 320GB
Display(s) 24" dell(1920X1200)
Case Coolermaster HAF
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, logitech Z5500
Power Supply Corsair HX 1K
Software 7 ultimate 64
Make sure the silencer has good contact with the mem chips, also it's worth investing in a better thermal compound (arctic silver5 for instance) once you install this, have a look and see if there is a good contact, if not apply some more compound.

That o/c is pretty good, dunno if you will be able to push over that without some voltage mod( im no expert in this so if I am wrong then sorry). Anyone got any thoughts on this one?.

Q-Ball

Pencil Mod It!

I got a BBA X800 Pro Vivo also flashed to XT PE. I also started getting artifacts slowly. So I what did I do? I gave her more power! I have my GPU watercooled. Its running at 1.85V from 1.4. The core alone lets me go to about 650. Mind you my idle temp right now is 24C for the video card. Just to let you know, when you do volt mod the temps do go up aswell. I also have 1.6 Ram too. I have huge ramsinks on them with 2x120mm Panaflow Ultra's. Cooling is everything! I would try to cool it first before your going crazy and pencil mod it. You could even take off the shim for better temps (Personally I left mine on for the warrenty) Hope this helps. :cool:

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
The oc sounds good to me. Also where the 16p is working, that will be the main performance boost I think. The arctic silver sounds good for some extra cooling. I have the mem on my pro running at 560 with no problems in atitool, but I don't have the extra 4p unlocked. So you may need a voltmod because of the power needed for the 4p, but pushing your card that hard will just be a huge risk of frying it. Try to use atitool to test to, cause just because you don't see artifacts in games doesn't mean they are there. Atitool picks em up really early. So you could have aritfacts before you think you do :(

Hope it helps-Dan

Swagman6531

Ok it's me again I think I found the problem.... I lowered the GPU clock to 500mhz and then slowly watched as the mem went all the way up to 620mhz. While playing games I started to notice that what I thought were artifacts before weren't. They were misdraws on account of the GPU being set too fast or defective pipelines that I unlocked. So now I am playing some graphics intense games at 500core/600mem stable. I am just curious to know if by unlocking the 4 pipelines did I unlock possible defective ones eventhough the x800pro VIVO is identical to the x800 XT PE.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
I unlocked the extra 4p on my vivo and I got the checkard board effect. This was due to having defective rendering pipes in the GPU sappositly from the way ATI gpu's work. Try fashing back to the orignal pipes then do your overclock and see if there are any arifacts. Atitool wont pick them up, if they are form the extra pipes being unlocked because where they are rendering. When I unlocked the pipes I only got the blocks in 3d applications, but not Atitool. So what I did was flash back to 12p and did some oc'n on my card. Its not as good as performance as having 16p, but its sure better than having unwonted blocks on the screen...lol. My card is running at 540/560 stable with no errors in Atitool :D.

-Dan