• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Patriot Memory Announces Zephyr Series Solid State Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Patriot Memory, a global pioneer in high-performance memory, NAND flash and computer technology, today announced the addition of the Zephyr series to its family of solid-state-drives (SSDs). The Zephyr series of SSD offer improved system responsiveness with quicker boot times and shorter application loading times over traditional hard disk drive storage solutions.

Patriot's Zephyr series, available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB capacities, is designed around the latest generation controller from JMicron: JMF612. With a controller level cache of 64MB DDR2, the Zephyr series provide stutter-free performance and offer speeds of up to 240MB/s Read and 180MB/s Write. To maintain performance integrity over the life of the drive, the Zephyr series SSDs include native support for the TRIM command in Microsoft Windows 7.

"As solid-state drive technology advances, it is becoming more affordable, allowing SSD solutions to reach an increasing segment of end users. Patriot's objective is to offer the latest technology in our solutions which provide the best performance and price options", states Les Henry, Vice President of Engineering at Patriot. "Our Zephyr family of SSDs offer great performance, aggressive pricing and the inherent benefit of SSD technology over antiquated hard disk drives: quicker boot times and shorter application loading times. Including a Zephyr SSD in your desktop or notebook upgrade plans provides one of the best bang-for-the buck improvements you can make to your system."

The Zephyr family of SSDs are durable and reliable, with an aluminum housing to minimize typical wear and tear and with NAND memory at their core, there are no moving parts to fail, or be damaged from daily use in portable computing solutions. Additionally, the Zephyr family of SSDs provide incredible performance, reliability and a 3-year warranty.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I Expect these to be lower in price compared to their Vertex and perhaps Agility series, based solely on the performance of the controller and the read write speeds. Also, which controller is it (the new one) that doesn't need cache anymore?

Kiji

I Expect these to be lower in price compared to their Vertex and perhaps Agility series, based solely on the performance of the controller and the read write speeds. Also, which controller is it (the new one) that doesn't need cache anymore?

Sandforce ?

It's using 64MB cache if you read closely... I'm really looking forward to these drives.
Patriot is known to make some whoop ass fast USB drives and they also tend to provide almost legendary lifetime warranty (that usually means 10 years but hey, others offer only 2-3 years warranty). And since they will be using JMicron, they won't cost and arm and a leg...

EDIT:
I see they only provide 3 year warranty. Bummer. I hope they'll be cheaper because of this as well. I might finally be getting one 256GB for my netbook. If the price is 200 EUR or below (not likely)...

Last edited:
System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
Sandforce ?
No? :D Jmicron!

It's using 64MB cache if you read closely... I'm really looking forward to these drives.
Patriot is known to make some whoop ass fast USB drives and they also tend to provide almost legendary lifetime warranty (that usually means 10 years but hey, others offer only 2-3 years warranty). And since they will be using JMicron, they won't cost and arm and a leg...

EDIT:
I see they only provide 3 year warranty. Bummer. I hope they'll be cheaper because of this as well. I might finally be getting one 256GB for my netbook. If the price is 200 EUR or below (not likely)...
you know, that Jmicron controlled SSDs, CAN lag in the OS, if the SSD is the OS drive...Indillinx,Sandforce, Intel and i believe Samsung controlled SSDs are doing better at this... also, the Indilinx controller should be a little cheaper than the Jmicron, from what i know... i guess, for under 200 euro for a 256GB SSD, one couldnt argue, but i would preferabily use it as a secondary drive, only for data, games and such.
A 64 GB SSD is fairly enough for an OS drive, if you ask me. :)
also, you will write trash that thing badly, if you dont use a ramdrive,or fast SD card,or USB stick,for swapfile and temp/cache data, and its the only drive built in your netbook. that probably wont be too healthy for it, after a few years:eek:

Kingston V-Series is using JMicron controler with specially modified firmware (by Toshiba) and it doesn't have any lagging issues like the first JMicron drives. Plus these have 64MB of main cache just like Intel drives. I don't think there should be any problems with it.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
i sure hope these are cheaper than most ssd

System Name Nexus PC
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 3600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
Cooling Thermalright Macho V2
Memory 24GB DDR3, 1400MHZ CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung EVO 960 250gb, EVO 850 250gb, Vertex 3 128gb. 2 TB of Rotational.
Display(s) 1xAsus MX299, 2x Asus MX239, Oculus Rift CV1
Case Sunflower Tower
Audio Device(s) C-Media CMI8738/C3DX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Software Win7 64Bit Ultimate
Kingston V-Series is using JMicron controler with specially modified firmware (by Toshiba) and it doesn't have any lagging issues like the first JMicron drives. Plus these have 64MB of main cache just like Intel drives. I don't think there should be any problems with it.

FIH_the_Don uses such an SSD as OS drive, and he claims, that it still lags, but it seems to be more tolerable now. lagging has still didnt vanished completly tho. All Indilinx Drives should also have 64mb cache, the Sandforce has no cache, but doesnt seem to need one, which extends the lifetime of the drive:D

I'm gonna wait till this issue is ironed out of SDDs before I get one. By that time they should be cheaper / GB too.

After AnandTech uncovered the whole random read/write mess I just don't trust anything with a JMicron controller in it, though. I'm quite happy with the speedy and reliable operation of my Intel X25-V drive. :)