• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Announces Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD and USB Sound Blaster X-Fi HD Audio

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
Well, not everyone should get HDMI receiver, but only those who are wiling to spend +300$ on audio part of their PCs. Will ask you a question : what kind of DSP can we find in ASUS Xonar Essence STX? Is it a very inexpensive C-Media chip? May tell you that similar C-Media revisions can be found on 12 year old audio card for 10$ (new) or integrated in some ancient PIII motherboards. All the sound magic is happening in ASUS Xonar-s analog part. This is the place where HDMI receiver excels.

Dude... you're saying complete nonsense. The "sound magic is happening in Asus Xonar's analog part"? And then you say "this is the place where HDMI receiver excels"?

HDMI -> digital, not analog.

Besides, high-end soundcards (X-Fi Prelude and others) have very high-quality DACs, even comparing to mid-range (~400€) receivers.
What they don't have is a matching amplification circuit, of course. Sound cards are made to connect to powered speakers or ear/headphones.

R_1

HDMI is just a port, that I am using when playing movies/games on HDTV, so forgive my ignorance when referring to AV receiver as a "HDMI" receiver.

Cheap $500 receivers can't even drive headphones properly.

Also, not everyone likes $1000 mediocre speakers.

pjladyfox

System Name Eternal
Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H50 water cooling system
Memory 8GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 5870
Storage Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA2, 7200.11 750GB SATA2, and 7200.10 500GB SATA2
Display(s) SAMSUNG 245BW 24" LCD
Case Antec Three Hundred - custom mnpctech.com
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Home 64-bit Retail
Actually, when MS was first beginning work on Vista, they did plan to have DirectSound. They were actually working closely with both Creative and nVidia to incorporate an improved version for hardware access and other low-level chores. For whatever reason, late into the game, nVidia backed out, and soon after MS dropped the project altogether - I've yet to hear what happened, and who was at fault for this EPIC FAIL - and MS went ahead without DirectSound. They used the lame BS excuse that they were cutting the feature because the majority of system crashes in XP were due to software trying to access the audio kernel (reason I say BS is because I've never seen an audio-related BSoD in XP, and have never seen anyone else complain of a BSoD that turned out to be audio related). Either way, it left Creative with about 6 months to completely re-write their early Vista drivers, for an OS design they were not originally designing for. Big reason why their Vista beta drivers didn't release until about 1 month before Vista's release.

And I defi agree on the OAL point - Only Creative and Auzen properly support the API. ASUS, HT, C-Media and every other audio manufacturer need to get off their arse and start getting involved with the project. The only thing ASUS has been doing with OAL is using it to gain "backdoor" access for EAX3+ support (their "EAX" software operates nearly the same as Creative's ALchemy).

That's interesting. I had heard about Creative being involved with it but I'm really surprised at NVIDIA's participation especially since they dropped support for their SoundStorm line. The only reason I can think of that Microsoft switched gears like that is that they had no real confidence in Creative being able to carry the rest of the project to a degree to make going any further worth the effort. Not saying that I excuse the major FUBAR that Microsoft did but Creative really has not built up a lot of confidence especially considering their rather rabid defense of EAX.

I did some current reading on OpenAL and it looks like Creative is pretty much carrying things at the moment. This could explain why there really has not been any major adoption of it by say Realtek or C-Media since they've already been burned by Creative over the entire EAX fiasco. I mean, were I in the same shoes I'd be rather hesitant in order to work with them especially since Creative could turn around and incorporate any information into their own hardware regardless if it is an "open" standard.

Again, not an excuse for the involved parties but it could explain a great many things. Does not make it any easier for those of us on the front lines dealing with all of the fallout over the complete and utter lack of progress in audio.

Yeah, and even for those cards that do support OAL perfectly fine - there's also issues on the software side . . . some media programs are still having issues in Vista . . . and we need to see more software dev support with OAL as well.

TBH, I'm glad the audio industry is moving to PCI-E, as that has really cleared up a lot of audio clipping problems related to the PCI BUS, and the fact that most modern hardware is extremelly heavy on the SYS BUS. The increased bandwidth with PCI-E allows the card to send and recieve more info per clock cycle, and that's a major bonus with some processing heavy audio cards.

But, we need to see more audio manufacturers start going to native PCIE, instead of relying on the translators. As I believe I mentioned in an earlier post, it adds latency to the audio processing stream, and that's not exactly something you want in regards to audio. TBH, I've kinda felt it's a bit of a joke from all the audio manufacturers . . . everyone has gotten wrapped up with the SNR war, and keep stouting they have the best audio quality - but are using poor design architecture (even Creative were guilty of this with their first PCIE card).

Oh, do not get me wrong I know that the movement towards PCI-E is a good thing but I also have to be a realist here that a great many STILL use PCI-based audio cards. By designing fixes for resolving a lot of the PCI latency issues it carries forward to the PCI-E line. This, in turn, would allow for a larger potential customer base for sale AND would encourage game developers to hop onboard with OpenAL completely rather than the hackneyed software audio that they are currently using. I think a lot of momentum could also be garnered if the consoles went over to OpenAL as well.

Either way, the feature war needs to stop and we desperately need someone outside of Creative to take the lead towards driving OpenAL adoption across ALL hardware platforms. At the rate we're going now I'll be retiring before we'll actually see this happen. :cry:

BTW - if you're experiencing a lot of EMI noise, you could attempt some DIY fixes. It's a hard noise to get rid of, but there are some things that might clean it up - if the noise is being induced from the local environment . . . if the card is picking up noise via the SYS BUS, there's not too much you can do :ohwell:

I'm really holding off on doing anything major until I can get a new set of headphones to replace my ancient Razer HP-1's since I think they may be part of the problem. The fustrating thing is that finding a decent set of 5.1 dedicated audio headphones is not easy nor cheap. And whomever thought the entire USB 5.1 audio was a good idea needs to be repeatedly nut stomped until they can no longer produce children. :mad: :nutkick:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not many takers for OpenAL in a post Windows Vista world because...nobody other than Creative makes real audio processors. Only HSP controllers. OpenAL gives the application a direct path to hardware, but when that hardware doesn't know what to do with raw audio stack the app, hence the OS has to process it using the CPU. With real hardware processors (which Creative makes), it gets processed on the card.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
[snip] since I'm really getting tired of the humming I hear in my headphones from EM noise.
You could always just attempt to build a simple emi sheild for your current card. Shouldn't be too hard to manage, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper to do than buy a new card.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Well, i know ADI (Analog Devices) supports native OpenAL. Not sure about Realtek...

It supports it in software. The cpu still does all the work. Creative is the only manufacturer that makes true hardware accelerated DSPs.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
It supports it in software. The cpu still does all the work. Creative is the only manufacturer that makes true hardware accelerated DSPs.

It's an APU, dag-nabbit! :p

T

TAViX

You could always just attempt to build a simple emi sheild for your current card. Shouldn't be too hard to manage, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper to do than buy a new card.

Interesting. How do you do that??

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Interesting. How do you do that??

There's a few different methods - probably the most basic would be to use some aluminum foil and fold it over on itself 3-4 times, making sure it's about the same L and W of the card, and a little bit longer at the PCI bracket so you can attach it there. You'll need to find some way to support the "shield" from the other components on the card . . . thermal pads, double layered duct tape, folded up electrical tape, rubber washers tapped onto the shield, etc.

It's looks a little barbaric, but it works.

Another idea would be to use the outer casing from an old HDD. Makes for an excellent shield. Little bit harder to attach to the card, though, and you might have to use a small piece of wire to connect the shield to the PCI bracket.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
T

TAViX

There's a few different methods - probably the most basic would be to use some aluminum foil and fold it over on itself 3-4 times, making sure it's about the same L and W of the card, and a little bit longer at the PCI bracket so you can attach it there. You'll need to find some way to support the "shield" from the other components on the card . . . thermal pads, double layered duct tape, folded up electrical tape, rubber washers tapped onto the shield, etc.

It's looks a little barbaric, but it works.

Another idea would be to use the outer casing from an old HDD. Makes for an excellent shield. Little bit harder to attach to the card, though, and you might have to use a small piece of wire to connect the shield to the PCI bracket.

Seeems.......complicated....:nutkick::D

System Name Kaos Performance "Studio V3"
Processor i7 940 & 4.20 Ghz. stays very cool.
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D Premium on water.
Cooling Swiftech GTX, 2 x Fesser rads.
Memory 12 gigs Corsair
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA 460 Gtx on water. Only to run multi monitors and NEC lfd.
Storage 2 Intel SSD for OS and programs. 8 WD Tera drives raid 5
Display(s) 3 x 30" Dell, 1 70" NEC P701-AVT LFD.
Case Raxx's 10U rack unit X 2. One for pc and cooling, one for studio gear.
Audio Device(s) M auidio in and out, split to Tube pres, AB split, and 48 channel Mackie.
Power Supply Antec quattro 1200, Seasonic 650, Power conditioner, Generac NG back-up generator.
Software Win Xp-Win 7. Lots of DAW software & plugins.
Benchmark Scores Not a Bench machine only OC'd cuz it's in my blood. This is boarderline over-kill for my needs, but
When I started to reply there where 6- 7 replies as I went to post............Holy crap this seems to be a very touchy subject.
I deleted my original post and I'll just watch. Glad you're not all in the same room.

Any idea when these will be available in Europe? They were suppose to be available in March but it's mid April now and i haven't seen a single one in any of our stores. And i want one now because i can't stand the rotten Xonar anymore.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Any idea when these will be available in Europe? They were suppose to be available in March but it's mid April now and i haven't seen a single one in any of our stores. And i want one now because i can't stand the rotten Xonar anymore.

whats wrong with the Xonar??

It's rubbish, that's what it is. And i don't want to see it anymore. BSOD after BSOD and when i think i just managed to patch it i get a BSOD. Fuck that. I threw it out and i'll sell it as soon as i can.
Sound was good when it worked. But that was all gone when i swapped HD4870 for HD5850.

So, do you have any idea when will Titanium HD cards be available?

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
according to creatives news report - the cards were released in Singapore at the end of march - but have found no additional info other then that.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
It's rubbish, that's what it is. And i don't want to see it anymore. BSOD after BSOD and when i think i just managed to patch it i get a BSOD. Fuck that. I threw it out and i'll sell it as soon as i can.
Sound was good when it worked. But that was all gone when i swapped HD4870 for HD5850.

So, do you have any idea when will Titanium HD cards be available?

You don't necessarily have to wait for them to release. The Auzentech X-Fi Forte or X-Fi Bravura would be excellent alternatives. Both are based on the same X-Fi processor, and have the same attention to detail, and are built from top quality components.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I know, but i'd prefer the Creative one.

Really? The Auzen cards are built better, and less people have been complaining about the drivers than the typical Creative card. But hey, to each their own I suppose.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
My onboard with tweaked drivers, and a good tweaking sounds OK. Mostly it is just the crap filters, and encoder/decoder codecs that cause the poor quality sound. And the lack of real power, but if I want that I just burn a CD and listen to my yamaha. I can feel my eardrums flex at high volumes.

Really? The Auzen cards are built better, and less people have been complaining about the drivers than the typical Creative card. But hey, to each their own I suppose.

As it turns out, Titanium HD cards are nowhere to be found (no one knows when either), X-Fi Bravura is rubbish (renamed X-Fi Xtreme Audio with better components). I could hardly get my hands on Auzentech X-Fi Forte. But i got it and it just shipped out. I'm expecting it tommorow. Will see how it works.

T

TAViX

I wonder....Is a SB Live! better than the on-board soundcard??? Just found one in my old PC...

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you got Reatek HD codecs then probably no.