• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Func Mousepad Roundup

Func Industries manufactures gaming surfaces by gamers for gamers. Their product range includes a pad for everybody from low sensitivity, to ultra-large surface area. In this review we will be testing three pads: the Func surface1030, the 1030 Archetype and the F30.R. Also on the testbench we have the Func Antifriction Liquid which is supposed to reduce the gliding resistance of your gaming surface even more.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

i_am_mustang_man

Processor AMD X2 AM2+
Memory 2GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 7900gto
Storage 80GB+120GB 7200RPM IDE + 250GB SATA2 + 500GB SATA2
Display(s) 26" 1920x1200
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Ultra 600W with X-Connect
Software Vista Ultimate
did all the tpu staff need new mousepads, so you guys got a bunch of review samples? lol

seriously though, nice review. maybe in the future you could find out exactly how the lube works quantitatively

it's easy to test static friction with the mouse and the mouse cord and some weights, but to test it's kinetic friction easily one would need a little spring force meter.

put the mouse on the surface before applying the lube, and see how much force needs to be applied to get the mouse moving (this can be tested using weights tied to a string hung over the edge of the table (so F=ma where m = mass of weights and a = accel of gravity) and attached at the other end to the mouse). maybe see how the performance degrades over days of use and days of non-use

the spring force meter would be easiest to test both static and kinetic friction. attach the hook to the mouse cable and see how much force is required to get it to start moving and secondly to get it to continue moving at constant speed. if you just use a weak spring, this can be accomplished by measuring the equilibrium point of a spring (like from a ballpoint pen) and measuring it's distance at the same points in the trial as above.

springs react linearly to a force being applied, so take the difference between spring length at equilibrium minus spring length at both static and kinetic friction tests before application of lube, and divide these differences by the original equilibrium spring length (will give a ration >1). these will be your two reference values (refs = reference static, refk = reference kinetic)

do the same thing with the lubed version (take equilibrium length minus (static or kinetic) length and divide that difference by the eq length). the difference between the refs and the static one here multiplied by 100 would be the percent the amount of friction was eliminated (i think. it might be one calculation away, anyways. also my negative/positive value might be opposite correct. )

Any chance we could see that?

Last edited:

stealthfighter

Processor P4 2.8
Motherboard Intel D865PERL
Memory 2x512 Ballistix DDR400
Video Card(s) GeForce 5200
Storage Maxtor 120GB
Power Supply Allied 300w 10A
wow.
My uncle had some generic mousepads in his van that say support dell on them, I asked if
I could have one and he said sure so I took one home. It is way better than my pokegay (pokemon) mousepad (had it since I was 6) Its colors are better for laser optics, and the material is better to move around on (mouse slides esier on it)

beachbum86

Oh no, last time i listed this a dude showed up at
Processor P4 3.2ghz pressy
Motherboard Abit ic7 max-3
Cooling All PolarFlo TT series w/ some DD maze4 blocks too
Memory 2x 512mb G-skill pc4400 TCCD
Video Card(s) X850XT PE
Storage 2x 300gb sATA maxtor
Display(s) CTX 17" lcd
Case Custome modded Koolance pc2-650
Audio Device(s) standard sound blaster
Power Supply kingwin ABT-600cw
Software XP pro, Macromedia 8 suite, SwishMax, PS CS2....etc..etc
I got the F10.5 Func pad at PDXLAN 8 :D

To #1 I was going to borrow a force meter but the only ones we have at my school are only precise to 1 N, but if I ever come across one that is more sensitive than that I will make that sort of tests. Thanks for the input guys:)